Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I think it is time

Starbuck1771Starbuck1771 Member UncommonPosts: 375
That EVE goes F2P. Get fresh blood in the game after all why should Dust be free if we are not. On top of that the game is a decade old and has become to repeatative. If they go the same way that Rift did they could make a fortune. Just in the past three days alone I have spent $120.00 on Rift.

Comments

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999
    they've gained subscriptions every year for the past 10 years, i dont think they would consider going ftp for a long long while (thankfully!!)

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• TSChzbarnaTSChzbarna Member UncommonPosts: 14
    Afterall, nothing says "They can't hear you scream in space" like a Barrens type chat.  I think FTP would be good for Eve.
  • HokieHokie Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

You do know that if you earn enough in game currency - isk, that you can then trade in for a Plex within the game, and a Plex  is bascically a pre-paid one month subscription.

So you earn in game currency, then buy a Plex off the market (Auction House) and boom you have your one month paid for.

Meaning you never have to spend any real world money to play the game.

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

• CRISMICRISMI Member UncommonPosts: 8
    For old players Eve Online is free.
  • uplink4242uplink4242 Member UncommonPosts: 258
    indeed. plex helps longtime players more than anyone else (because earning isk is trivial for them). I'm not sure if eve would get popular in the f2p market. I'm pretty sure anyone that likes the game will play the trial and wont have issues paying for it after that. being f2p would mean that the servers are constantly lagging with new players that give up after 2 days.
  • HazelleHazelle Member Posts: 760

DUST 514 works as f2p because it's content exclusively involves killing other players.

Eve is much more than just killing other players and f2p would create havoc on those parts of the game.

Also, as other people have pointed out there's already a f2p element in eve in the form of plex.

• SalengerSalenger Member UncommonPosts: 554

I found this thread amusing as i just finished reading this assumed re-posted article about EVE F2P, guessing it was from April fools.

http://sandboxer.org/?p=4314

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043

EVE won't work free.

Not to mention it can only support 100K online with the servers they have now. This idea EVE needs more people is a misconception. EVE is fine where it is.

• GregorMcgregorGregorMcgregor Member UncommonPosts: 263
    Originally posted by uplink4242
    indeed. plex helps longtime players more than anyone else (because earning isk is trivial for them). I'm not sure if eve would get popular in the f2p market. I'm pretty sure anyone that likes the game will play the trial and wont have issues paying for it after that. being f2p would mean that the servers are constantly lagging with new players that give up after 2 days.

They do that anyway, 50,000 players and half are free trials. (Oh the same 50k for the guy that thinks subs go up each year).

The only players that stay are heavily invested in it. Go to any high sec starter system, it and the systems around it are crawling with 8/10 trial players (which is another sore point, they shouldn't get to mine ore - but thats for another day!).

Add to it that "free trials" screams "please come play this, we need your money!" and F2P may be on the cards, esp. with the new EA signing... POS only $20! lol

No trials. No tricks. No traps. No EU-RP server. NO THANKS!

...10% Benevolence, 90% Arrogance in my case!
  • MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297
    Originally posted by GregorMcgregor

They do that anyway, 50,000 players and half are free trials. (Oh the same 50k for the guy that thinks subs go up each year).

The only players that stay are heavily invested in it. Go to any high sec starter system, it and the systems around it are crawling with 8/10 trial players (which is another sore point, they shouldn't get to mine ore - but thats for another day!).

Add to it that "free trials" screams "please come play this, we need your money!" and F2P may be on the cards, esp. with the new EA signing... POS only $20! lol

CCP have never included free trials in their subscription numbers.

EVE has over 500k subs, split about 90:10 between "real" EVE and "chinese" EVE, and it's growing quite nicely thank you.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• GregorMcgregorGregorMcgregor Member UncommonPosts: 263
    Dream on! ;)

No trials. No tricks. No traps. No EU-RP server. NO THANKS!

...10% Benevolence, 90% Arrogance in my case!
  • HazelleHazelle Member Posts: 760

There is not one bit of truth in any of what you typed except "the only players that stay are heavily invested in it"; which makes me wonder whether that's what you meant to type or did you mean something else? Because  that line is self evident since you wouldn't  expect a person to stay if they didn't feel they had a stake in the game.

• Quazal.AQuazal.A Member UncommonPosts: 859

At anyone time CCP will admit that approx 5% of all players in eve are trial, so on an average sunday night of 60k players about 3k of them will be in the 21day trial.

In terms of the OP EvE will never go down the F2P route because it has a working model, why would any game who increase subs year on year (regardless of where them subs come from be it existing more accounts or new accounts, more is more) - Fact is its more likely a case of, wake up one day goto log on to get message "sorry eve is dead".. than going F2P :)

This post is all my opinion, but I welcome debate on anything i have put, however, personal slander / name calling belongs in game where of course you're welcome to call me names im often found lounging about in EvE online.
    Use this code for 21days trial in eve online https://secure.eveonline.com/trial/?invc=d385aff2-794a-44a4-96f1-3967ccf6d720&action=buddy

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297
    Originally posted by Starbuck1771
    That EVE goes F2P. Get fresh blood in the game after all why should Dust be free if we are not. On top of that the game is a decade old and has become to repeatative. If they go the same way that Rift did they could make a fortune. Just in the past three days alone I have spent $120.00 on Rift.

CCP already make a fortune on PLEX. Why would they throw away all their subscription income (which is rising) and all the PLEX income, and commit to the huge development project that it would require to change EVE enough to implement "real" F2P, and see a huge percentage of their current playerbase simply leave?

Changing to F2P is for subscription games that are dying. EVE is growing.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• Attend4455Attend4455 Member Posts: 161

so the OP's argument for EvE going free-to-play is that it is 10 years old and become to (sic) repetitive.

Not very convincing as this formula, if it can be called such, has led to EvE steadily increasing subs over the last 10 years.

I sometimes make spelling and grammar errors but I don't pretend it's because I'm using a phone

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627
    EVE will not go free to play as long as the sub numbers keep growing.   
  • aionixaionix Member UncommonPosts: 288
    The amount of ignorance and stupidity in the OP and supporters of the OP is literally blowing my mind.  In the famous words of Ygritte "You know nothing Jon Snow."
  • Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

EvE is free, only need pay monthly sub , players can use  ingame currency (ISK)  for  sub !

Personal , I am never use plex,coz I suporting CCP with $$$$ for only real mmo on market.

• VidirVidir Member UncommonPosts: 963
    Old succsessful game with stable subscribers, no reason to go f2p, dont Think they would get manu new players.
  • DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    EVE is already B2P... invest about 2-3 months of game time (or roughly 50-60$ depending where you get your gametime from) in training exploration skills and light combat skills (astrometrics to level 4, support skills for astrometrics up to level 3-4, tanking skills up to t2 with compensation skills up to level 4 if you feel particularly girly and get tech 2 light drone skills, hobgob 2s will do nicely, and gallente frigate to 5 and assault frigate to 4; with that you can outfit a ishkur to do any high sec exploration sites and also have a scan ship that can pinpoint all the sites you need and this setup while not optimal, 4/10s and watches are offlimits for you, will still net you if you are persistent and smart in your scan routes upwards of 200 mil isk, per week which lands you quite comfortably in the "can afford this month' plex" party).

• CodenakCodenak Member UncommonPosts: 418

With CCP hiring the EA pay to win guy as head of product development I am afraid the OP may well be right.

Unsubbing last account.

• Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959
    didn't eve try to go F2P a while back and the players revolted?

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

• CodenakCodenak Member UncommonPosts: 418

The "Greed is Good" incident along with the 80 euro monacles?

Edit: Yes Jita burned and CCP said they wouldn't dream of it, but time again CCP's promises have not matched their actions.

• Starbuck1771Starbuck1771 Member UncommonPosts: 375

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/05/03/eve-producer-f2p-converts-were-failing-subs-still-viable/

One year later and CCP hires a guy from EA that specializes in F2P.

• Starbuck1771Starbuck1771 Member UncommonPosts: 375
    Originally posted by Malcanis
    Originally posted by Starbuck1771

CCP already make a fortune on PLEX. Why would they throw away all their subscription income (which is rising) and all the PLEX income, and commit to the huge development project that it would require to change EVE enough to implement "real" F2P, and see a huge percentage of their current playerbase simply leave?

Changing to F2P is for subscription games that are dying. EVE is growing.

PLEX is a step torward F2P. Look at Rift it has REX. Clearly by CCP's own admission they have been trying to convert to F2P but have failed time and again. However now CCP has Sean Decker. 

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=254876