Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

e-sport is certainly popular ...

nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

all the DOTAs, WoT, and all the arena/battleground are already showing the popularity of e-sport.

Now, planetside 2, which is supposed to be the poster child of world pvp, is adding e-sport style battleground instances.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/07/02/planetside-2s-battle-island-to-bring-smaller-scale-skirmishes-with-an-e-sports-focus/

Comments

• postpwnpostpwn Member UncommonPosts: 87
    Back when it was still infuriatingly difficult, I thought Final Fantasy XI would've made a good e-sport. 
  • MMORPGRIPMMORPGRIP Member Posts: 90

God...let's not discuss WoT's. Game is really irritating.

Not really the game...it's the players ruining that one. So many adolescent remarks and absolutely NO teamwork involved. Everyone seems out for themselves and to get the highest kill count. It's sad. The 3 scenario's to every match...

1. Team rushes out and gets picked off 1 by 1.

2. Team all rushes to 1 side except maybe 1 or 2 that go the other way. 1 or 2 that went the other way get wiped out by the entire enemy team coming that direction...your teams flag gets capped.

3. Your assignment is to defend your base. So what does the team do? Rushes ahead and gets picked off one by one. You lose.

Average 1 win to 12 losses because too many are of the "me" mindset instead of the "we".

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

WoT confirmed for me that 99% of people have zero tactical sense. Its amazing how bad people are in the simplest strategic problems.

If you have a couple of skilled friends you can dominate most matches with just the three of you.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by MMORPGRIP

God...let's not discuss WoT's. Game is really irritating.

Not really the game...it's the players ruining that one. So many adolescent remarks and absolutely NO teamwork involved. Everyone seems out for themselves and to get the highest kill count. It's sad. The 3 scenario's to every match...

1. Team rushes out and gets picked off 1 by 1.

2. Team all rushes to 1 side except maybe 1 or 2 that go the other way. 1 or 2 that went the other way get wiped out by the entire enemy team coming that direction...your teams flag gets capped.

3. Your assignment is to defend your base. So what does the team do? Rushes ahead and gets picked off one by one. You lose.

Average 1 win to 12 losses because too many are of the "me" mindset instead of the "we".

Well, if the other side is the same, then what is the problem? If the other side can pick you team off 1 by 1, you can do the same with them.

The teams are all random, aren't they?

Originally posted by Quirhid

WoT confirmed for me that 99% of people have zero tactical sense. Its amazing how bad people are in the simplest strategic problems.

If you have a couple of skilled friends you can dominate most matches with just the three of you.

In that case, wouldn't it be great since you can go dominate them.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

Well, if the other side is the same, then what is the problem? If the other side can pick you team off 1 by 1, you can do the same with them.

The teams are all random, aren't they?

Don't argue with the "why I lose " logic. It's the only thing they win at.

the worst part of that game is the group of people who say it's all random, nothing you do matters and 1 player can't change the out come. Anyone with half a brain could figure out someone must be deciding the outcome of a match...it's just not the people that consistently lose. People need that safety blanket I guess.

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    Playing video games is not a sport.
    Originally posted by nerovipus32

South Korea would disagree.

I tend to agree but not because it's a computer game and some fat kid can be good at but because "luck" plays too much of a factor in most e-sports. The RNG removes the skill part of the game and makes it not a contest of skill...all the time. Luck is always a factor then.

Quoted from wikipedia.

The precise definition of what separates a sport from other leisure activities varies between sources, with no universally agreed definition. The closest to an international agreement on a definition is provided by SportAccord, which is the association for all the largest international sports federations (including association football, athletics, cycling, tennis, equestrian sports and more), and is therefore the de facto representative of international sport.

SportAccord uses the following criteria, determining that a sport should:[1]

• have an element of competition
    • be in no way harmful to any living creature
    • not rely on equipment provided by a single supplier (excluding proprietary games such as arena football)
    • not rely on any "luck" element specifically designed into the sport

They also recognise that sport can be primarily physical (such as rugby or athletics), primarily mind (such as chess or go), predominantly motorised (such as Formula 1 or powerboating), primarily co-ordination (such as billiard sports), or primarily animal supported (such as equestrian sport).[1]

There has been an increase in the application of the term "sport" to a wider set of non-physical challenges such as electronic sports, especially due to the large scale of participation and organised competition, but these are not widely recognised by mainstream sports organisations.

Originally posted by DamonVile

I tend to agree but not because it's a computer game and some fat kid can be good at but because "luck" plays too much of a factor in most e-sports. The RNG removes the skill part of the game and makes it not a contest of skill...all the time. Luck is always a factor then.

You have never played Starcraft?

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735

It's still not a sport.

It's still not a sport.

Like you have the authority to eliminate South Korea's national sport.

• JacobinJacobin Member RarePosts: 1,009

Its more about using nerds who game all day and impress other nerds enough to get them to buy certain brands of computer hardware and energy drinks.

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578

I don't see the appeal of e-sports.

Anyway, the director of MLG thinks they can become as big as the NFL

good luck with that.

Originally posted by djazzy

good luck with that.

You don't see it. Millions and millions of players do.

LoL is the biggest online game out there, biggest than WOW. So e-sport is probably bigger than MMORPGs already.

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578

good luck with that.

You don't see it. Millions and millions of players do.

LoL is the biggest online game out there, biggest than WOW. So e-sport is probably bigger than MMORPGs already.

you seem a bit defensive about it, I never said there weren't people who were interested

and popular is a relative term

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Jet Li disagrees with you.

Comment taken for his appearance at the Age of Wushu 150k Invitational.

"Translated by MMO Culture, the diminutive star of films like HeroLethal Weapon 4 and Once Upon a Time in China said, "If poker card games and chess both have the players sitting down and are considered sports, why not virtual gaming as well? There are two kinds of sports – one physical and one mental. There is no good reason to debunk virtual gaming as a sport, and I believe the participants of such virtual PvP events have the same mentality as physical athletes.

http://www.dealspwn.com/jet-li-bigs-esports-gaming-athletes-135514

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • Teh_AxiTeh_Axi Member UncommonPosts: 380

good luck with that.

Well esports have the advantage that its got potential fans/players all over the world, unlike the American Football which basically doesn't exist outside the US.

• itsTortitsTort Member UncommonPosts: 125

You're 100% it is not a sport, it's an e-sport, hence the name.

Luck > Skill 150% of the time. You take someone with skill, that knows what they are doing, and you take someone who basis their wins off luck, the skilled player or team will achieve victory every time, unless the skilled player makes mistakes, in which they wouldn't be so skilled. 

• DiSpLiFFDiSpLiFF Member UncommonPosts: 602

How do you mention E-Sports without talking about Starcraft or League of Legends?

My younger brother watches people play these games...

I think i'ts the weirdest thing to watch someone else play a video game but I guess the same could be said about a lot of things. 

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

Do these kids in South Korea call themselves e-jocks?  If so, do they use that as a way to pick up e-girls?

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

Originally posted by itsTort

You're 100% it is not a sport, it's an e-sport, hence the name.

Luck > Skill 150% of the time. You take someone with skill, that knows what they are doing, and you take someone who basis their wins off luck, the skilled player or team will achieve victory every time, unless the skilled player makes mistakes, in which they wouldn't be so skilled. 

that's not true at all. They will win most of the time. The whole reason luck based things are not a sport is because of those few times they don't win because the rng made wasn't in their favor.

Look at world of tanks. If we both shoot but your shot bounces and my shot ammo racks you and you die...who had more skill ? by what you said there obviously I did because skill always wins. So even though the RNG decided my shot not only penetrated I also go a lucky roll and killed you in one hit. Even though you hit my tank you got an unlucky roll and the shot bounced off doing nothing. There was no skill deciding anything there, we both aimed and hit,  it was luck that decided the outcome.

Over a thousand battles the number of times that's going to happen wont be enough for the lucky player to come out ahead...or even close. There will still be more than enough matches where it did happen that make it not a real test of skill.

• KivotKivot Member Posts: 44

How are RTS, FPS or Fighting games "luck"? Hell, even MOBA games are very little luck. I think you're confusing MMORPGs as e-sports. The only MMORPG I can think of that could be an e-sport is maybe GW2.

Originally posted by Kivot

How are RTS, FPS or Fighting games "luck"? Hell, even MOBA games are very little luck. I think you're confusing MMORPGs as e-sports. The only MMORPG I can think of that could be an e-sport is maybe GW2.

I'm not confusing anything with what an e-sport is. I'm saying that most of these games that have the RNG mechanic built into them that are also trying to call themselves e-sports are not and can't be a sport of any kind because they have too much luck involved.

Games that use a dice roll for a weapons damage range ( eg 1-10 damage ) isn't the same thing as a game that uses a dice roll to see if you hit, or kill in one shot vrs nothing at all. It would be better if an ability just did a set amount of damage but it's a as big of a factor.

Games like mobas RTS, FPS don't use RNG really, they're based more on your knowledge of the game and ability to use your units. That makes them skill based. Most mmos and stat based shooters make far too much use of RNG.

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964

Your right, e-sport is certainly popular with the new generation of gamers, however I personally can only take so much of the same maps & skins with a different face.