Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Death Penalties - Poll

Comments

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030
    Ultimate Death penalty : Upon death your forced to play Aliens:Colonial Marines or Walking Dead:Survival Instinct for 1 level or 10 minutes before being allowed to log back in.
  • fyerwallfyerwall Member UncommonPosts: 3,240
    Originally posted by Drakynn
    Ultimate Death penalty : Upon death your forced to play Aliens:Colonial Marines or Walking Dead:Survival Instinct for 1 level or 10 minutes before being allowed to log back in.

Death penalty should sting, not cause real life mass suicides.

There are 3 types of people in the world.
    1.) Those who make things happen
    2.) Those who watch things happen
    3.) And those who wonder "What the %#*& just happened?!"

• DrakkonanDrakkonan Member Posts: 16

You guys have to be the worst MMO community I've ever witnessed.  Corpse runs!? Really?

Go the EQ2 route.  Exp debt.  Losing money and xp is fine, no matter how substantial, but the potential of gear loss has no place in MMOs.  

• GrailerGrailer Member UncommonPosts: 893

Since its a sandbox I guess they could make death penalty that you come back as a zombie or skeleton .

Or you get reincarnated as a fairy .

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    When you die, you should lose all your stuff, you suffer permadeath as your client closes and uninstalls itself while your computer shuts itself down after a virus is installed in your bios.

• AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139

PVE

1. Loss of XP

2. Debuff (lowered stats and or gain XP slower for a while)

3. Corpse retrieval removes debuff or you can wait it out (no paying NPCs to cure you of your mistake)

4. Dying before finding corpse would increase strength/length of debuff.

5. Items damaged, require repairs, possibly break if damaged too many times without repair or without retrieving corpse.

PvP

1. Lose percentage or all of currency on hand.

2. Lose alternative PVP XP or whatever incentive there is for killing each other beyond financial reward

2. After X number of deaths by same person or in short period, become not worth any reward

Death should be avoided and something to fear, but not turn into a huge time sink once you do. It should also actually happen. We should die a lot as there should be serious challenges.

They could also not have levels/xp as we know them (I wish) and have more focus on EQ corpse runs where gear is the big incentive to not die and retrieve your gear if you do.

• ice-vortexice-vortex Member UncommonPosts: 960
    This poll just shows an inability to think outside the box when it comes to penalties.
    Originally posted by ice-vortex
    This poll just shows an inability to think outside the box when it comes to penalties.

Says the guy offering no suggestions.

This poll is going to leave a lot of kids butthurt seeing that the love for harsh mechanics is still alive and thriving.

• ice-vortexice-vortex Member UncommonPosts: 960
    Originally posted by Dullahan

This poll is going to leave a lot of kids butthurt seeing that the love for harsh mechanics is still alive and thriving.

An example could be a curse dependent on the mob. The risk of fighting a dragon would be greater than fighting an orc pawn.

• nennafirnennafir Member UncommonPosts: 313

Corpse Runs + Exp Loss: 47.6%

Lol...This board is pathetic.  If you really want to go play EQ so much, play it.  But you don't really because times have moved on and it is boring.  You just haven't been honest with yourself about this yet apparently.

I hope EQ Next is innovative.  I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Surely, though, I see no greater sign that this board is absolutely not the source any MMO creator should be looking at if they want a successful new game.

An example could be a curse dependent on the mob. The risk of fighting a dragon would be greater than fighting an orc pawn.

Sounds cool.  Could have some quest or task to accomplish to counter the curse... or just wait it out as the alternative.  Still think we should have to retrieve our bodies.

Think the OP was just testing the waters to see how the EQ community felt about harsh mechanics of old here in 2013.

• intrinscintrinsc Member UncommonPosts: 98
    Losing XP is ancient thinking. Anyone even suggesting that is still stuck in 1992 game design and should not be playing modern games. If they are really going to help evolve MMOs with this game they have to be more forward thinking and offer some other kind of penalty that would impact gameplay directly rather than just your character advancement. Do less DPS, have less HP so you have to do better the second time since you have less health, or something like that. XP loss is NOT going to make better players. It's just going to make more careful and slower players. The "bads" will still be able to cap. Make someone really feel it for not being careful and then you really got them.
  • HerbinLegendHerbinLegend Member UncommonPosts: 28

Other, two separate systems with common penalties:

For PvE - corpse run + durability loss on worn items + loss of xp that can be recovered via a /pray command similar to DAoC.

For PvP - corpse run + durability loss on worn items + Shadowbane loot system.

That's my nostalgic, knee-jerk response. 

Can't get my pen to write in this space.

• wizardanimwizardanim Member Posts: 278

I want corpse runs and exp loss.  Also, I hope they re-include the loss of level upon death.

With that said, I do like how anarchy online dealt with XP loss, despite the lack of level loss.  

AO created an XP pool when you died that was filled with any XP you lost since you leveled or saved your character.  As you killed monsters, you regained XP faster until the pool was depleted.

Originally posted by intrinsc
    Losing XP is ancient thinking. Anyone even suggesting that is still stuck in 1992 game design and should not be playing modern games. If they are really going to help evolve MMOs with this game they have to be more forward thinking and offer some other kind of penalty that would impact gameplay directly rather than just your character advancement. Do less DPS, have less HP so you have to do better the second time since you have less health, or something like that. XP loss is NOT going to make better players. It's just going to make more careful and slower players. The "bads" will still be able to cap. Make someone really feel it for not being careful and then you really got them.

Those things you suggested stand to impede advancement in a way very similar to exp loss, if not worse.  Thanks to your idea, you would end up alienating yourself because no one will want to group with your gimp ass.

Its disappointing how brainwashed everyone has become concerning death mechanics and meaningful progression.  Soon as they hear there's might be some risk involved in their reward, they start whining in advance just in case something stands in the way of their instant gratification.

I hope it takes 1000+ of hours to get my adventure level maxed.  Whats your hurry?

• GrailerGrailer Member UncommonPosts: 893

Actually making people lose XP  makes the bad players take longer to level up . So they get more time to learn the game .

Some might never learn thus never actually level up .

People might think twice about going into a hard area .

Right now games are Faceroll lol whoopee do I died who cares thanks for wasting my time rez me and lets try again.

I don't see it happening myself , I think the game is going to be faceroll made for the average player who

a) stands in red circles

b) doesn't min max so they do poor dps , have bad builds etc etc .

c) like fast food and everything easy .

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Originally posted by azzamasin
    Corpse runs and XP loss.  Although I'd prefer not to downlevel but I would like to see corpse runs mandatory.  None of this "you can rez at your corpse once every 30 mins" bullcrap.  I don't care if you've not died in 3 weeks, if you die, return to where your soul was bound...no if's, and's and or but's.  Unless you're rezzed by another player character.

I agree but i also want down leveling, hopefully Smed will have a server with the harsher rules, he was talking about having such a server before the reboot, hopefully that still stands with this EQN.

Originally posted by nennafir

Lol...This board is pathetic.  If you really want to go play EQ so much, play it.  But you don't really because times have moved on and it is boring.  You just haven't been honest with yourself about this yet apparently.

Surely, though, I see no greater sign that this board is absolutely not the source any MMO creator should be looking at if they want a successful new game.

Lol, don't get mad because people didn't choose what you want. And you say this board but i would bet money if you went to all the other EQ ip boards and done the same poll the result would be the same.

Just go tom show doesn't it.

Nah dumb idea, once your dead your dead, doesn't matter what type of mob killed you.

Really! that's thinking outside the box lol.

Originally posted by SavageHorizon

Lol, don't get mad because people didn't choose what you want. And you say this board but i would bet money if you went to all the other EQ ip boards and done the same poll the result would be the same.

Just go tom show doesn't it.

Most likely if you went to forums on EQ sites the results would be even more in favor of corpse runs + exp loss.

• greenblood82greenblood82 Member UncommonPosts: 29
    ... XP loss is NOT going to make better players. It's just going to make more careful and slower players...

And that is exactly what I want. I don't want people rushing through dungeons as if it was some kind of race without any communication but that is what we have in modern MMO's because of no death penaltys.

• AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961

Hmm, what is a death penalty in an AAA game ? Sorry, I just forgot. I know there was such a thing in a past long ago but I really can't remember anymore... Having said that, I am sure there will be no death penalty in EQN which I will even recognize as a penalty.

Probably a little money and xp loss (with no deleveling), that's it. Maybe you just respawn nearby and that is all. SOE can't implement any real penalty, the whiners who never understood what a death penalty is good for anyway killed that feature in the past and no major developer is going to touch this anymore.

So it is not really relevant what I want. ;)

• sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187

EQ doesnt have corpse runs anymore you go to pok pay a npc to summon ur body and rezz it thats it, there not fear in any games anymore and people want that back. Lets face it with the steeper death penalty how often did u acualy die compared to newer games. 1 EQ death for every 100-1000 in any other game?

• sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    Originally posted by HerbinLegend

Other, two separate systems with common penalties:

For PvE - corpse run + durability loss on worn items + loss of xp that can be recovered via a /pray command similar to DAoC.

For PvP - corpse run + durability loss on worn items + Shadowbane loot system.

That's my nostalgic, knee-jerk response. 

part in red, how bout just get a cleric to rezz you for a % of xp back like in EQ1 help bring comunities together.

As for PvP in EQ1 it was u can loot all of the enemy money they had on them. (use to be one item aswell(that wasnt equiped if i remember correctly)

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614
    corpse runs plus xp loss!!