Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is WoW a bad game for new players?

SilvercrankSilvercrank Member Posts: 29

Hey, i really wanna play wow, i used to play when it was first released for a few months, i stopped because i never had time to play games but now i do. Ive been playing rift alot lately and like it, but id like to play a p2p game thats going to last for years to come so i dont waste time on them just for them to die or shut down. Wow has millions of players still, i can't see it dieing in my life time or anytime soon.

Would wow be pointless to start over with a new character? WOuld it really take 8 years to catch up to where everyone else is today? I considered guildwars, but i really like the grind of mmos. 

Thank you :)

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505

Few MMOs outside can match WOW for making it possible for a new player to catch up to everyone else, so it would be a great game for someone to start out with.

Just wouldn't be a very good MMORPG for someone to really understand what they could really be.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759
    You will have no problem catching up in WoW, You can solo all the way to max, and then it is just a matter of grinding various game currency and buy gear with it, join a raiding guild and then You have caught up. GW2 is just as much grind as WoW, it is just a slightly different kind and GW2 will also likely last for years, so that would be a matter of taste in style. Lotro also seem to be a lasting affair, and afaik Rift doesn't look like it will end anytime soon either.
    Expansion count and years of actively updating compined with player base, is the best indication of long lasting games, and as such WoW is the game.
  • SilvercrankSilvercrank Member Posts: 29

i guess the person who said that was wrong. I just don't like being 8 years behind everyone elses characters when playing a game.

and i was looking on some of these websites to see how much accounts go for, not to buy one but just curious because i sold my old runescape account for a decent amount, than i saw that some of these wow characters  go for 2000+ dollars so i figured there must be something on these characters that took so long to get.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by Silvercrank

Hey, i really wanna play wow, i used to play when it was first released for a few months, i stopped because i never had time to play games but now i do. Ive been playing rift alot lately and like it, but id like to play a p2p game thats going to last for years to come so i dont waste time on them just for them to die or shut down. Wow has millions of players still, i can't see it dieing in my life time or anytime soon.

Would wow be pointless to start over with a new character? WOuld it really take 8 years to catch up to where everyone else is today? I considered guildwars, but i really like the grind of mmos. 

WoW sounds like a good choice. I didnt play vanilla WoW so i dont know how slow the progression was back then, but nowadays it is not slow at all.

On the other hand, i wish they 1) slow the experience gain, and 2) remove the overpowered gear called heirloom because if you join pvp at low level anyone wearing heirlooms will murder your soul effortless and with one hand. Thats a taste of pay to win without being pay to win lol.... not fun at all. I personally dont want heirlooms because it make my game easier and less challenging = boring, but then i cant be competitive at low lvls without them.

Back to topic, games is very good for new starters.

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254
    Originally posted by kjempff
    You will have no problem catching up in WoW, You can solo all the way to max, and then it is just a matter of grinding various game currency and buy gear with it, join a raiding guild and then You have caught up. GW2 is just as much grind as WoW, it is just a slightly different kind and GW2 will also likely last for years, so that would be a matter of taste in style. Lotro also seem to be a lasting affair, and afaik Rift doesn't look like it will end anytime soon either. Expansion count and years of actively updating compined with player base, is the best indication of long lasting games, and as such WoW is the game.

I would add:

Join a lvl 25 guild early to get an xp bonus. Don't worry they're a dime a dozen and will likely invite you before you see it coming.  It is rare this will be your only guild. It's easy to find a good guild early if you communicate and use the looking for guild tool. If you accept the blind invites, be prepared to do some guild hopping as the ninja invite guilds often have 13 year olds at the helm and dominating chat with 13 year old.....let's call it 'humor'.

At lvl 15 (or is it 16?) you can use the Looking for Dungeon tool. I highly recommend this to learn the basics of group and dungeon dynamics. There are a few simple tricks everyone should know by max. You will have a negative experience during your learning curve if you first group is at lvl 90.

Level your tradeskill simultaneously. Take the time to keep harvesting up. Trust me.

Read the quests. Not because you can't complete quests without them, because a lot has changed with the lore since you played last so it should be almost completely new to you.