Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will wildstar be a huge hit?

2»

Comments

• LyrianLyrian Member UncommonPosts: 412

Wildstar will likely be the second, or third string MMO for the coming future. If it brings back solid play and a 'classic' type of progression where things are earned and provides a sense of accomplishment.

That being said I don't think it does enough 'new' things to be considered in competition for the top spot. It is coming with a suspicious combat system, using a very tired themepark design model that will only endear itself to a small crowd, since the majority of people are tired of this sort of gameplay already.

I think Wildstar will cut into the 'hardcore' of those who are playing WoW, Rift, and EQ2 giving them a more challenging gaming experience that is missing from the market. However, it would depend on how successful EQN turns out to be, and when the games are released with regards to one another. Depending how strong a show EQN turns out after august 2nd is really what is going to make or break Wildstar's chances before it's even released.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    as long as its a hit thats what matters. Huge? There are many hits out there but so far only 1 huge hit and its getting old. Im ok with Wildstar being a successful hit, whatever the size.

• jimprounerjimprouner Member Posts: 142
    Originally posted by Piiritus
    I'm not sure if it will succeed. It's way too cartoonish for many and also does not offer anything groundbreaking to grab attention imho. 

Yah that is why games WoW, Orcs must die, etc  and movies/shows like Avatar the air bender, Pixar Movies, etc do so bad huh.

Out of touch with reality much?

Cartoon graphics have a HUGE advantage over realistic graphics in MMOs.

#1 They can appeal to a larger audience with much lower spec requirements.

#2 They age well.  A realistic game today, will look like crap in 5-10 years.

#3 Design content faster - less dev time is spent on graphics, and more is devoted to content

#4 Design content faster - you can release more new content and release it faster.

• jimprounerjimprouner Member Posts: 142
    Originally posted by DMKano

Define huge hit.

Millions of players several months post launch - highly doubtful.

Couple of hundred thousand players, possibly.

Themepark space is fiercely competitive, also we have no clue when Wildstar will release, EQN and TESO, ArcheAge are also on the horizon.

Example if Wildstar launches anywhere close to AA or EQN release, I won't even bother with Wildstar period, just gonna skip it.

Space Sci-fantasy MMO is highly competitive?  DAFUQ?  Name one other than wildstar...

Goal is end of this year.  Though primarily their philosophy is 'it is ready when it is ready'.  Likely early 2014.

Archeage is a typical asian MMO that westerners don't play.  It even flopped in Korea.  Tons of footage of the game, and its bad.

EQN is 2015 - Not even a damn photo of the game.  I don't expect much tbh regardless.

TESO isn't even a real MMO anymore.  its skyrim online.