Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PC. Will using a pad for XIV be a hindrance?

2»

Comments

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

I keep meaning to play with the macro system in FFXIV, I think that could alleviate a lot of my targeting difficulties.

Also, chording the various buttons wasn't terribly difficult, but did take me a bit of getting used to.

I want to learn to use the gamepad (mainly so I can veg out and play it on the couch just to go do farming log/gathering/crafting type stuff), so I plan to play with it some more - it may just be I use the gamepad for some things, and the KBM for others (like I did in 1.0), since it's not difficult switching from one control scheme to the other.

I found the KB/M to be on par with other MMOs at the least - I will admit that FFXI and 1.0 were not the case, ARR majorly improves on that and brings it up to par.

• Snowdon_CloudripperSnowdon_Cloudripper Member CommonPosts: 584
    You can adjust the gamepad to have it be one press of the R or L trigger locks that set of options press it again ( L or R ) to unlock . The targeting there are also options to adjust and block what you want to target . I play as a pug with a gamepad I can Target the mob im fighting press <- on the D-Pad cycle players and shoot a cure if I want to ( I do if things are going bad ) it is not hard to do . I play the game with my new rig ( AMD Vissera 8 core GPU HD7970 GPU ) hooked up to my 60 inch TV in my living room and I play wirelessly from my couch or chair or floor wherever . Im not confined to one and as a famous boy made of wood once said I have no strings on me . BUT again it is personal preference . I played XI for 7 years on PS2 and played most all my games on a PS3 . So I am right at home with a controller . As a person who is a PC gamer is right at home with the KB/M . One is not better then the other no matter what people say . We all can screw a screw just some of us are better with the tool in our hands then others .

http://absoluteretribution.enjin.com/ Guild Website and Recruitment link

• comicguycomicguy Member Posts: 123
    Originally posted by Shadanwolf
    OP......................MY suggestion...get a PC.

I'm sure he has a PC and so does everyone posting here..

Why do we always get this childish PC and Console arguement???

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

i didnt even try the keyboard and mouse. Went straight to the xbox 360 controller, switched to the PS3 controller using MotionInJoy software because i hate xbox controller and i enjoyed the game big time with my controller.

The only issue i see with the controller is cycling between targets. It is slow and It is exactly as you cycle targets in single player turn based classic Final Fantasy with the exception that here is real time so the enemies dont wait for you. I actually like that in PvE because it feels like a real classic Final Fantasy experience, but for PvP that involves real player opponents and faster real time reactions i recommend the kb/m so you can be fast enough choosing your target to attack or heal.

• SefirusoSefiruso Member Posts: 23

Firstly yes i have a PC I'm just having set up issues getting into a position a feel comfortable using a keyboard and mouse like i said I've been lazy these past few years with my MMO's and other PC games. It's perfectly fine for Football Manager but not for proper K&M play. 

Some good replies I'll stick with the pad for now but i'll play around with K&M when i update my setup and splash out on some new tech and accessories. Badly in need of a new computer chair :'( 

Slightly off topic but i don't think I've been as hyped for a game in a long time. Currently trying to persuade a few friends to play funny how offended people can still get when asked to pay a monthly fee :P 

• WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637
    I say try it and see if you like it. You can always switch back.
  • SilokSilok Member UncommonPosts: 732
    Originally posted by Ehllfhire
    Originally posted by Sefiruso

With my setup currently in limbo and needing some investment and a fix I've been playing the Beta with a Xbox 360 pad via USB purely for comfort. 

The only issue so far is some of the targeting is a bit iffy especially during FATES. My question is really are other people using a pad to play? And will it eventually lead to issues in groups and end game not using or being familiar to using the keyboard set up (Not like it would take long to get used to)

I've been quite content with the pad so far but is it just a waste of time and should i be switching to keyboard and mouse asap?

Normally Id say kb and mouse, but this game is designed for the controller first. Both FFXI and XIV have atrocious keyboard and mouse controls.

Not true.. imageFFXI was design for controller, FFXIV ARR has the same keyboard and mouse design has any mmo out there.

You probably didnt even play the beta and you dont know what you are talking about..image

To the op, i prefer the keyboard amd mouse for battle but i may use the controller for traveling or crafting and things like that. Sometimes its nice to just sit in the couch and using the controller.