Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Does it open up?

TimothyTierlessTimothyTierless ColumnistM, ORPosts: 2,163Member Uncommon

So far the only thing I've done in SWTOR is burn out my space bar by skipping all that scripted cheese.

My question is, does the game eventually open up? Do I get to ditch the annoying companion and go to a big open world and just do what I want or is every world a mountain filled maze?

If the end game is open, and I get to run around doing whatever I want on some big planets I could make grit my teeth in the name of Star Wars.

Comments

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Den HelderPosts: 9,064Member Uncommon

There are some freaking huge open planets

but if you dont like the stories and companions dont bother, this is not your game.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• SovrathSovrath Boston Area, MAPosts: 18,451Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Tierless

So far the only thing I've done in SWTOR is burn out my space bar by skipping all that scripted cheese.

If this is the case then this is not the game for you.

For those who like the bioware stories/style, then that scripted content IS the good part.

I would say move on as that is the heart of the game.

• TimothyTierlessTimothyTierless Columnist M, ORPosts: 2,163Member Uncommon

If thats the heart of the game then the game has a heart condition. I LOVED the single player RPGs, these scripted stories are FAR FAR from the same quality and the choices I make seem to do nothing significant.

I guess in the end it feels like a watered down TOR game with a shell of an MMO glued to it. Thats how it felt in beta, but I hoped with the content additions and various patches things had started to improve on one of the two areas of gameplay. Star Wars MMOs are cursed!

• simpliussimplius nakskovPosts: 1,041Member Uncommon

thats, what happens, when you launch an mmo , without pretty female elves

but seriously,,this was one of the reasons for my disappiontment too

a single player RPG,,but without a save button,,great idea, boss

• RavingRabbidRavingRabbid Virginia beach, VAPosts: 1,128Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by simplius

thats, what happens, when you launch an mmo , without pretty female elves

but seriously,,this was one of the reasons for my disappiontment too

a single player RPG,,but without a save button,,great idea, boss

LMAO! By your definition 99% of MMO's made are single player games without a save button....stop trolling.

All my opinions are just that..opinions. If you like my opinions..coolness.If you dont like my opinion....I really dont care.
    Playing: SWTOR, ESO, WOT, and Marvel Heroes

• FruxyFruxy Towson, MDPosts: 32Member
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

There are some freaking huge open planets

but if you dont like the stories and companions dont bother, this is not your game.

By "Huge open planets" you mean mean the size of a few WoW zones combined, yes.

As for a planet that is explorable, I think not.  Just a zone the shape of a square, like a GW2 zone.  Hardly a huge planet, eh?  Even then, it's sectioned off with exhaustion zones, where you can't just walk and explore, regardless of how badass your character is, no matter how resistant they are to the cold, or to deserts.

I agree on the stories.  This game was all about scripted stories, which were done well (mostly).  It's a typical themepark, which unfortunately has little to no replay value.  But great while it lasts.  When the story is over, all you are left with is a cruddy engine and long load times to do anything, coupled with piss poor PVP even on a PVP server, and bugs galore.  I love Star Wars, but it just feels like this game is the large IP Star Wars meets low budget Battlestar Galactica.

I'm really hoping a new Star Wars MMO comes out, one that blows me away.

• TimothyTierlessTimothyTierless Columnist M, ORPosts: 2,163Member Uncommon

Originally posted by Fruxy
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus There are some freaking huge open planets   but if you dont like the stories and companions dont bother, this is not your game.
    By "Huge open planets" you mean mean the size of a few WoW zones combined, yes.

As for a planet that is explorable, I think not.  Just a zone the shape of a square, like a GW2 zone.  Hardly a huge planet, eh?  Even then, it's sectioned off with exhaustion zones, where you can't just walk and explore, regardless of how badass your character is, no matter how resistant they are to the cold, or to deserts.

I agree on the stories.  This game was all about scripted stories, which were done well (mostly).  It's a typical themepark, which unfortunately has little to no replay value.  But great while it lasts.  When the story is over, all you are left with is a cruddy engine and long load times to do anything, coupled with piss poor PVP even on a PVP server, and bugs galore.  I love Star Wars, but it just feels like this game is the large IP Star Wars meets low budget Battlestar Galactica.

I'm really hoping a new Star Wars MMO comes out, one that blows me away.

THis is kinda what I feared. My hope was that things had improves since beta and that additions added something to make this online RPG live up to the title MMO. I might still max out 1 toon because it's free and I love Star Wars but I'm not sure. THese cut scenes truly do annoy me like no other. I can't stand sitting through minutes of time to get 3 lame options that have 0 real impact on my character. I mean, with no consequence it has no meaning, with no meaning, whats the point? Entertainment? I don't find bad scripting entertaining. If I want that type of entertainment I'll watch the movies or the trailers. #frustrated

• Shadowguy64Shadowguy64 Rohnert Park, CAPosts: 848Member
    If you're skipping all the story on your first playthrough...just stop now and save yourself some time. You don't have the interest in Star Wars or the patience to enjoy the story the game is trying to tell. Find yourself a mindless FPS game and enjoy that.
  • DocBrodyDocBrody EldridgePosts: 1,820Member

nope, stays the same from start to finish.

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser ParisPosts: 1,873Member

If thats the heart of the game then the game has a heart condition. I LOVED the single player RPGs, these scripted stories are FAR FAR from the same quality and the choices I make seem to do nothing significant.

I guess in the end it feels like a watered down TOR game with a shell of an MMO glued to it. Thats how it felt in beta, but I hoped with the content additions and various patches things had started to improve on one of the two areas of gameplay. Star Wars MMOs are cursed!

After reading your earlier post about you downloading TOR i knew this won't end well. Somethings are just that obvious. i think its time you realise that if you are pressing hotbar that fast this game isn't for you.  You can not force yourself to like this game when you are skipping the main solid part of TOR.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• VarthanderVarthander BarcelonaPosts: 471Member

Well, in Flashpoints and story missions some of them  really do something, and i apreciate a voiced quest + choice to say how do i agree/dissagree with it, than a text and just a silly "accept/decline"

• ktanner3ktanner3 lakeland, FLPosts: 4,074Member
    If you don't like scripted stories,cut scenes and companions then this game was never going to be your cup of tea. A quick youtube search would have saved you a whole lot of hassle.

Currently Playing: Star Wars The Old Republic

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 dublinPosts: 2,735Member
    The story in swtor just isn't of the same high quality writing as other bioware single player rpg's. If swtor was a single player game it would be god awful. The game fails as an mmo and as a single player rpg.
  • FruxyFruxy Towson, MDPosts: 32Member
    Originally posted by nerovipus32
    The story in swtor just isn't of the same high quality writing as other bioware single player rpg's. If swtor was a single player game it would be god awful. The game fails as an mmo and as a single player rpg.

I'm understanding this now, essentially how the game blew because so many of the core BioWare people were fired.  I saw articles and talked on vent with my guildies.  wow.  Actually my guildies told me where to read.  So SWTOR fired most of their team, consolidated gains into other games when doing financial reports, and put this game in rankings? 

I always liked SWTOR as the under-dog.  Now EA made the big time - give creds to the devs, because SWTOR is too hot to hold.  Ouch .. ouch  .. OUCH!   ouch ..

take this

ouch  OUCH!  *crap*

• noncleynoncley LondonPosts: 647Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by DocBrody

nope, stays the same from start to finish.

Correction!  It does NOT stay the same from start to finish.

It gets more boring because of the repetition.

• PpiperPpiper Horsham, PAPosts: 648Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Shadowguy64
    If you're skipping all the story on your first playthrough...just stop now and save yourself some time. You don't have the interest in Star Wars or the patience to enjoy the story the game is trying to tell. Find yourself a mindless FPS game and enjoy that.

lol!! Indeed. 

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid hell, NJPosts: 6,753Member Uncommon
    Swtor dont have huge open planets. THey call the maps planets to misslead players. Yes they are in different planets but when you get there you explore a small map, not the entire planet. I dont know if they changed that with their lates patches but as far as i know it has always have that missinformation in place.