Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No zones / instances confirmed by Smedley - 100% seamless world

MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614

I'm seeing a lot of posts from people hypothesizing about whether there will be instances or how they don't want there to be, that sort of thing.  This is a little old and perhaps forgotten.  So, here is the source from Smed himself - EQNext will have zero instancing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=-Cp3j-7yz3I#t=45s

Comments

• GrahorGrahor Member Posts: 828

Same engine as Planetside 2. If there are instances in Planetside 2, there will be instances in EQN. If there aren't, chances are increased for non-instanced EQN.

P.S. Funny thing, eh. I wonder if there will be ways to cheat in EQN like in Planetside 2. That would be some win.

• sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187

I hope there isnt any instances :)

The if u were a druid and u cast a rain spell ull see the sun filtering through the clouds, Does this mean druids get a large spell that makes it rget all cloudy and rains hmmm

• William12William12 Member Posts: 680
    Old info.  

>>The if u were a druid and u cast a rain spell ull see the sun filtering through the clouds, Does this mean druids get a large spell that makes it rain hmmm<<

No. But if druids had that spell, then it would be filtered through the clouds, and wouldn't that be epic, therefore EQN is epic!

Smed is some master baiter. He has his way with words, to use a thousand shiny words all the way not saying anything, really.

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614
    Originally posted by William12
    Old info.  

As I already pointed out in my OP.  However, not everyone is aware of it, and it's a big bit of info.

Originally posted by Margulis
    Old info.  

As I already pointed out in my OP.  However, not everyone is aware of it, and it's a big bit of info.

Not really since the game he brought up was a scrapped version 2 versions ago.  I would bet anything you will see instances for raids and maybe even pvp stuff but they will probably stress most of the pvp in open world.

Do you guys really expect this game to have raids and be open world ?   The only way that is even possible is if raid mobs are triggered and not static spawns.    You can do it open world that way and leave it non instanced.   Open world raid bosses are dead people won't accept a guild perma camping them and you never being able to fight them.   If you played EQ before instances you would understand this.

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614
    Old info.  

Not really since the game he brought up was a scrapped version 2 versions ago.  I would bet anything you will see instances for raids and maybe even pvp stuff but they will probably stress most of the pvp in open world.

So you think that their scrapping some aspects of the game to further improve it and make it unique would result in.................... adding back instancing?    That makes sense.....

Do you guys really expect this game to have raids and be open world ?   The only way that is even possible is if raid mobs are triggered and not static spawns.    You can do it open world that way and leave it non instanced.   Open world raid bosses are dead people won't accept a guild perma camping them and you never being able to fight them.   If you played EQ before instances you would understand this.

Guess you haven't played Vanguard huh? 

Finally, based on your whole comment, did you miss the fact that they said everything is supposed to be different from what we have seen before and not the same?  You keep referencing back to how old mmo's work (at least the ones you seem aware of) and how this game must fit in that mold or mechanics

>>So you think that their scrapping some aspects of the game to further improve it and make it unique would result in.................... adding back instancing?    That makes sense.....<<

It actually does once you accept that instancing is not always bad, and there are situations where it's good, or at least necessary.

>>Guess you haven't played Vanguard huh?<<

No. Not everybody played Vanguard. How did they solve that problem in the Vanguard? Or "an argument can be made, but I'm not going to make it"?

>>Finally, based on your whole comment, did you miss the fact that they said everything is supposed to be different from what we have seen before and not the same?<<

In the voice of Rick Dicker, talking to babysitter girl: And you believed it.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by Grahor

>>So you think that their scrapping some aspects of the game to further improve it and make it unique would result in.................... adding back instancing?    That makes sense.....<<

It actually does once you accept that instancing is not always bad, and there are situations where it's good, or at least necessary.

>>Guess you haven't played Vanguard huh?<<

No. Not everybody played Vanguard. How did they solve that problem in the Vanguard? Or "an argument can be made, but I'm not going to make it"?

>>Finally, based on your whole comment, did you miss the fact that they said everything is supposed to be different from what we have seen before and not the same?<<

In the voice of Rick Dicker, talking to babysitter girl: And you believed it.

They didn't really 'solve' anything for Vanguard. The world has lots of little square zones with chunk lines. The whole experience is not seamless at all. Mobs do not path over chunk lines and it is very noticable when you zone through one.

It is more of a poorly executed illusion than anything else.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Open world raid bosses would hardly be new for SOE, both EQ 1 and 2 had them. They did have a spawn timer just but it wouldn't be that hard to add different triggers.

The question is more if there will be any instanced dungeons or not, it seems like there wont be any zooning in the open world at least... My guess is that it will be a lot like Vanguard in EQN but hopefully better code.

• AvanahAvanah Member RarePosts: 1,615
    Originally posted by Grahor

>>The if u were a druid and u cast a rain spell ull see the sun filtering through the clouds, Does this mean druids get a large spell that makes it rain hmmm<<

No. But if druids had that spell, then it would be filtered through the clouds, and wouldn't that be epic, therefore EQN is epic!

Smed is some master baiter. He has his way with words, to use a thousand shiny words all the way not saying anything, really.

Original Everquest had a spell that Druids used to actually stop the rain in the current zone.

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/spell.html?spell=1725

"My Fantasy is having two men at once...

One Cooking and One Cleaning!"

---------------------------

"A good man can make you feel sexy,

strong and able to take on the whole world...

oh sorry...that's wine...wine does that..."

Old info.  

So you think that their scrapping some aspects of the game to further improve it and make it unique would result in.................... adding back instancing?    That makes sense.....

Finally, based on your whole comment, did you miss the fact that they said everything is supposed to be different from what we have seen before and not the same?  You keep referencing back to how old mmo's work (at least the ones you seem aware of) and how this game must fit in that mold or mechanics

People need to get over this something different comments by smed or you will be let down bad.    The game can be different and still have shit older games had/have, but the concept of open world raid bosses how EQ1 had them is dead it isn't realistic in today's MMO player and let's be honest SOE wants millions to play this game.   You know what happens when you have open world raid bosses with spawn timers ?   1-2 guilds on each server perm camp them and 95% of the population never gets to try the content that is by its nature a BAD design decision.

You don't need instances to fix this developers just used instances in the past because it was easy.

• ice-vortexice-vortex Member UncommonPosts: 960
    Old info.  

People need to get over this something different comments by smed or you will be let down bad.    The game can be different and still have shit older games had/have, but the concept of open world raid bosses how EQ1 had them is dead it isn't realistic in today's MMO player and let's be honest SOE wants millions to play this game.   You know what happens when you have open world raid bosses with spawn timers ?   1-2 guilds on each server perm camp them and 95% of the population never gets to try the content that is by its nature a BAD design decision.

You don't need instances to fix this developers just used instances in the past because it was easy.

You are still thinking in terms of themepark, not sandbox. I am seeing a trend that a lot of former EQ1/EQ2 players simply cannot grasp what a sandbox is.

• furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968

If a game had scrapped a version of the game in development then I would hardly count that info creditable in any measure. Granted I highly doubt that they are scrapping the concept but I sure as hell won't be trumping it around as what will be.

Bad inaccurate post is a bad inaccurate post.

Never know, they might need to go with instanced areas for storybrick or performance issues.  Doubtful but until a CURRENT announcement is made on what it will be, instanced or not are speculative. 

• IadienIadien Member UncommonPosts: 638
    Originally posted by furbans

If a game had scrapped a version of the game in development then I would hardly count that info creditable in any measure. Granted I highly doubt that they are scrapping the concept but I sure as hell won't be trumping it around as what will be.

Bad inaccurate post is a bad inaccurate post.

Never know, they might need to go with instanced areas for storybrick or performance issues.  Doubtful but until a CURRENT announcement is made on what it will be, instanced or not are speculative. 

Oh boy, another one. The entire game was not scrapped, just the design.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/10/20/soe-live-2012-john-smedley-on-eq-next-and-soes-future/

"Massively: Let's start with EQ Next. When did you make the call to scrap everything? What was it that made you choose to do so?

John Smedley: A year and a half ago, we made that decision. I didn't get to cover this in the keynote, so I should mention it here. The engine and underlying technology has not changed. A lot of the guts and infrastructure are staying the same. What we're really changing is what the game is all about, all the design elements. We made one fundamental shift to emergent gameplay."

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536

I'm seeing a lot of posts from people hypothesizing about whether there will be instances or how they don't want there to be, that sort of thing.  This is a little old and perhaps forgotten.  So, here is the source from Smed himself - EQNext will have zero instancing.

I hope more than anyone that there won't be any instances in EQ Next... but that does not say verbatim EQ Next will NOT have instances.  It says the forge light engine is capable of creating a completely seamless world.

I know we have a month to go, but these conjectures based on general comments are only creating misinformation.

• IadienIadien Member UncommonPosts: 638
    Originally posted by Dullahan

I hope more than anyone that there won't be any instances in EQ Next... but that does not say verbatim EQ Next will NOT have instances.  It says the forge light engine is capable of creating a completely seamless world.

I know we have a month to go, but these conjectures based on general comments are only creating misinformation.

I would guess it will have instancing of some kind (player made content at the very least). I hope the majority of content is seamless though, including towns, dungeons, guild halls, etc.

I agree though, it will be nice to end the speculation about a lot of things a month from now.

• keenberkeenber Member UncommonPosts: 438
    Would be easy to have open world bosses and prevent guilds camping them.  just after every victory anybody that is in the raid gets a debuff that will prevent them from damaging the mob for say a week and have the mob on a day timer or even shorter.
  • TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

I simply don't believe that there won't be instances of some sort. Instanced dungeons or raids will exist. There will also be open world dungeons and bosses, but I just don't see many people letting go of having a dungeon or raid to themselves.

The whole non-instanced world thing seems like a no brainer though. If they want to have any chance of calling the game a sandbox, having instanced zones is not the way to do it.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,007
    A solution to instances would be to have an open group system. No need to worry about taking someone elses kill because you get credit for it as well. Still, that adds easy mode to it which I like to avoid but would eliminate one reason for instances.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by emperorwings
    A solution to instances would be to have an open group system. No need to worry about taking someone elses kill because you get credit for it as well. Still, that adds easy mode to it which I like to avoid but would eliminate one reason for instances.

This is what Rift does, and what they did from the beginning and people still wanted instanced dungeons and raids. I think it has more to do with what people want, rather than what they don't want. What I mean is, given a choice between open world stuff and instanced stuff, they want the instanced stuff for dungeon or raid style content.

There's no reason a game can't include both, especially if they have a decently sized and skilled development team.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697

Everything is supposed to be different?

Well both UO and AC were/are (I don't know is UO is still instance free as I haven't played the game in ages, but AC still is and now that AC2 is back open, AC2 also doesn't have instances) seamless with no instances so....... how is this different and new?

• AticusWellesAticusWelles Member Posts: 152
    Personally I would like to see the dungeons be public and the raid mob encounter itself be instanced.

I don't see why the whole dungeon needs to be instanced. Just make the final encounter instanced and triggered by a quest.

Its about the only use of instancing I would find bearable.
    Originally posted by ice-vortex
    Old info.  

You are still thinking in terms of themepark, not sandbox. I am seeing a trend that a lot of former EQ1/EQ2 players simply cannot grasp what a sandbox is.

No I think it's you who cannot grasp the concept.  Open raid bosses with spawn timers is 10 years ago it is not realistic in a sandbox or themepark keep telling yourself it is all you want, but you're wrong.  You want a game only 100k people play go for it SOE wants a game 500k-1m play to do that you cannot have top guilds perm camping raid bosses from the majority of your playerbase.  There are ways around this triggered spawns, etc you do not need instances for this.

• dandurindandurin Member UncommonPosts: 498

This video has nothing to do with instancing.

The point is you won't get 10 loading screens just getting through Freeport like you did in early EQ2.

Of the (several) features that WoW killed EQ2 with in the 2nd generation race, one of the biggest was the immersive way you could run from the newbie zones to the northern and southern tips of the continents without ever once hitting a loading screen.

So kudos to Sony for figuring this out (even if a decade late).