Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Tierless Sells Out

TimothyTierlessTimothyTierless ColumnistM, ORPosts: 2,163Member Uncommon

If you look at my post history 2 things are obvious. I suffer from ADD and hate SWTOR. I beta testes it for a few phases and hated every minute. I hated seeing all of the good suggestions on forums get ignored for silly main stream garbage. I hated the shallow race choices and character creator (really humans with cybernetics are a race and not a cosmetic?). I hated the cut scene and I hated, more than anything else that this shallow POS made SWG tap out. And I still do!

But as we speak I'm 1/4th downloaded. Why? 4 reasons, GW2 got stale. It's free. I miss SWG (woulda been 10 years /pours libations) and this is the only way to get a Star Wars MMO fix and lastly, as much as my hate runs deep I feel as though I need to know my enemy before I condemn them. It's been a long time since the betas, maybe things have changed, maybe not, but I can't know til I know so I'll try SWTOR and call it down the middle, like I always do.

Comments

• ImperialSunImperialSun WorcesterPosts: 212Member
    Originally posted by Tierless

If you look at my post history 2 things are obvious. I suffer from ADD and hate SWTOR. I beta testes it for a few phases and hated every minute. I hated seeing all of the good suggestions on forums get ignored for silly main stream garbage. I hated the shallow race choices and character creator (really humans with cybernetics are a race and not a cosmetic?). I hated the cut scene and I hated, more than anything else that this shallow POS made SWG tap out. And I still do!

But as we speak I'm 1/4th downloaded. Why? 4 reasons, GW2 got stale. It's free. I miss SWG (woulda been 10 years /pours libations) and this is the only way to get a Star Wars MMO fix and lastly, as much as my hate runs deep I feel as though I need to know my enemy before I condemn them. It's been a long time since the betas, maybe things have changed, maybe not, but I can't know til I know so I'll try SWTOR and call it down the middle, like I always do.

Spoken with a level of credability that is often devoid of these forums where SWTOR is concerned :)

You may still hate the game after your re-visit....whether you do or whether you dont, kudos to you Sir!!

Driz

• FruxyFruxy Towson, MDPosts: 32Member

In SWTOR's defense, GW2 got stale way before SWTOR did, for me.  GW2 was just an empty shell of an interesting game - looks awesome on the outside, but smells of rotten eggs inside.

If you liked GW2's bland cutscenes, you'll really appreciate SWTOR's.  SWTOR has more technical problems than GW2, so I can understand when people would rather play a game that works well, even if it stinks overall (GW2), as opposed to a game that is great but doesn't play worth a damn (SWTOR).

Neither themepark game was designed for longevity, so that's out of the equation.  Each game has their updates & special events, so they are even there.

It's really hard to find a game that does nearly everything right.  Really hard.

• BladestromBladestrom edinburghPosts: 4,946Member Uncommon
    I think you are wrong re GW2. I bought on release. Found game to be engaging and slick to play, loved instances etc but eventually after 6 months I took a break. The difference with GW2 is that it is extending and improving every day and the quality is assured. I know at some point in the future I will return and pick up exactly where I left off, still no cost, no falling behind the gea curve and still high quality - but far richer than I left it. That's smart by Anet.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

^^ in other words GW2 is a solid game base that will only improve, swtor is both flawed and technically limited, not to mention constrained by the culture of its parent company.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko RotterdamPosts: 3,845Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Tierless

Lol, you have my sympathy, truly

But, I'd imagine that if you hated it in the beta, you'll hate it every bit as much now. It's still exactly the same game play, itthere's just more of it due to added content.

In fact, you may quite possibly hate it even more now, seeing as you're probably playing the F2P version, which most likely is going to be slightly less than the "full game"...

It's game pwrfomance that killed it as a f2p for me: eve,wow,gw2,TSW = max graphics and min 30 fps, swtor was jerking all over the place between 15 and 50 fps on low settings, it was a shock - last time I saw that performance was morrowind day 1 lol.

• WicoaWicoa LondonPosts: 1,602Member Uncommon
    Just wait maybe for ffxarr, gonna be cool man gonna be cool!
  • whilanwhilan Everett, WAPosts: 3,172Member Uncommon

You might want to also duo this with one other person at least instead of just soloing it especially if said other person tends to pick different choices then you. Plus if you are looking for a more active fighting style you can try out the IA, as they need to use cover and such which tends to make them closer to the action style combat of GW2.

Moreover though the reason i say duo or group the quests (even the soloable ones) is because it adds a level of unpredictablity to what will happen. You sometimes will get the choice you want and sometimes they will but the quest people react depending on whoever wins so you are never sure if your quest will result in you saving someone or breaking their water reproduction system, and the NPCs respond to that choice, even after someone has left the group.

It's not the best game ever and it has it's issues but it's still a quality MMO and has it's interesting points which I think help it to stand out.

Short list

If you are really into action style combat this won't do it for you

If you like stories and feeling like you are having an impact on that story you will like it.

It still does feel like star wars so that should help

It is formulated upon the traditional standards of gameplay.

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.