Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

running out of quests for early levels

Comments

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    So, grind like you were in Vanilla WoW STV

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654
    Originally posted by Doogiehowser
    Originally posted by Raxeon
    Originally posted by SuperXero89
    This is pretty much when I stopped playing the beta.  Not gonna grind my way through the levels in 2013.

and people wonder why they run out of content so fast in these mmos cause they want a instant max level toon ro something. the quest are there to get you first classes/job to level 50 then you have to use the other things to get levels it makes the game last longer

This is not some cheap F2P MMO where you need to grind mobs to level. The fact is that content is lacking and to tell people 'go grind mobs' is just an excuse to cover that.

Players have come to expect a smooth leveling curve from AAA MMOS, so telling them to grind mobs isn't going to help.

You're right, its not.

Quests are not the only way to level, they are only there to tell the story.

Sorry you don't like the design, perhaps provide that you would like an entirely quest driven quest hub game at the forums, see what they think about that.

*Hint* its not what they want, its not what this game is designed around, this game is not for you if you want to only quest to get to max level.

• AntiquatedAntiquated Member RarePosts: 1,415
    Originally posted by Laughing-man
    This is pretty much when I stopped playing the beta.  Not gonna grind my way through the levels in 2013.

and people wonder why they run out of content so fast in these mmos cause they want a instant max level toon ro something. the quest are there to get you first classes/job to level 50 then you have to use the other things to get levels it makes the game last longer

This is not some cheap F2P MMO where you need to grind mobs to level. The fact is that content is lacking and to tell people 'go grind mobs' is just an excuse to cover that.

Players have come to expect a smooth leveling curve from AAA MMOS, so telling them to grind mobs isn't going to help.

You're right, its not.

Quests are not the only way to level, they are only there to tell the story.

Sorry you don't like the design, perhaps provide that you would like an entirely quest driven quest hub game at the forums, see what they think about that.

*Hint* its not what they want, its not what this game is designed around, this game is not for you if you want to only quest to get to max level.

If the game is designed with repeatability (multiple classes) in mind, then repeatable content sounds like a necessity (rather than luxury).

Not particularly unreasonable to look around expecting it.

• NetSageNetSage Member UncommonPosts: 1,059

All content but quests is repeatable though....

And, they said there will be repeatable quests as well (dailies and what not too).

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by deveilblad
    Originally posted by Toxia
    Originally posted by Tsuru

I think you're confused. You don't have to grind to level, its when you change classes, and you've already done all the quests were some grinding will come into play. You've already done the quests, go to a different city and do their quests, and once you done with those then, you will be grinding. But by then your leveling your 4th job, and that will happen. This is the tradeoff for only having 1 character, and to keep people busy once they hit max level with a job.

And what if i don't want to change class before i hit 50? i did everything that game has to offer and i still hit a wall in leveling. More content would mean not to force people to change class in order to level. Players should be offered smooth leveling on one class alone instead of forcing them to change in order to fill the gaps.

I hope they will add more content once beta is over though.

You didnt play it did you. Really.

Then you wont run out of quests.

Not possible. You will outlevel the quests themselves if you do EVERYTHING the game has to offer.

Wut? You change your class, you start leveling again. Progress on second class doesnt add to the first. Basic fundamental of the game. Did you play? Whats your character name :)

There we go...you know if instead of mocking me you had asked nicely i would have teamed up with you to show me what i missed because i did everything that game has to offer and yet i am having trouble doing quests because i am not of appropriate level.

So yes it is possible. Atleast, it is for me. And like i said what if i don't want to change class and stick with one till i hit the cap like i am doing now? i haven't started a second class yet because i want to experience it all the way to level cap.

It is not possible to be out of quests if you did not switch to another class, dont write "well it happened to me so its possible" you either missed a hub or have quests in your log not tracking... And what do you mean when you write switch class to fill gaps ??? When you switch class you start back at level 1 ... What you write just doesnt make any sense, its almost like you did not play the game..

Yes it did happen to me. Killing mobs to level is not my idea of content..imo that is an excuse to cover the content gap. I remember playing AOC when you would run into content gaps and you had to kill mobs to level up. That is the communities way of covering up for the companies.

By filling the gaps i meant running out of things to do on your main class and then change class to start over again because you hit the wall in progression. How hard is it to understand?

Outside quests as content everything else is so repetitive and mind numbingly boring. How many times you can do leves before you feel like hitting yourself in face with a hot iron?

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283
    Originally posted by deveilblad
    Originally posted by Toxia
    Originally posted by Tsuru

I think you're confused. You don't have to grind to level, its when you change classes, and you've already done all the quests were some grinding will come into play. You've already done the quests, go to a different city and do their quests, and once you done with those then, you will be grinding. But by then your leveling your 4th job, and that will happen. This is the tradeoff for only having 1 character, and to keep people busy once they hit max level with a job.

And what if i don't want to change class before i hit 50? i did everything that game has to offer and i still hit a wall in leveling. More content would mean not to force people to change class in order to level. Players should be offered smooth leveling on one class alone instead of forcing them to change in order to fill the gaps.

I hope they will add more content once beta is over though.

You didnt play it did you. Really.

Then you wont run out of quests.

Not possible. You will outlevel the quests themselves if you do EVERYTHING the game has to offer.

Wut? You change your class, you start leveling again. Progress on second class doesnt add to the first. Basic fundamental of the game. Did you play? Whats your character name :)

There we go...you know if instead of mocking me you had asked nicely i would have teamed up with you to show me what i missed because i did everything that game has to offer and yet i am having trouble doing quests because i am not of appropriate level.

So yes it is possible. Atleast, it is for me. And like i said what if i don't want to change class and stick with one till i hit the cap like i am doing now? i haven't started a second class yet because i want to experience it all the way to level cap.

It is not possible to be out of quests if you did not switch to another class, dont write "well it happened to me so its possible" you either missed a hub or have quests in your log not tracking... And what do you mean when you write switch class to fill gaps ??? When you switch class you start back at level 1 ... What you write just doesnt make any sense, its almost like you did not play the game..

Yes it did happen to me. Killing mobs to level is not my idea of content..imo that is an excuse to cover the content gap. I remember playing AOC when you would run into content gaps and you had to kill mobs to level up. That is the communities way of covering up for the companies.

By filling the gaps i meant running out of things to do on your main class and then change class to start over again because you hit the wall in progression. How hard is it to understand?

Outside quests as content everything else is so repetitive and mind numbingly boring. How many times you can do leves before you feel like hitting yourself in face with a hot iron?

there content all through the game you nto wantign to do them is your problem there just isnt enough quest to go around for every classs. i think they are going to add alto of quest every month

• NetSageNetSage Member UncommonPosts: 1,059
    Then do some dungeons or FATE's going on.  There is only so much content that can be made.  I mean people complain about quests being the same and then say there aren't enough quests.  It's impossible to please everyone.  If you don't like it move on there 10 games that will hold your hand with quests all the way to cap and more.

there content all through the game you nto wantign to do them is your problem there just isnt enough quest to go around for every classs. i think they are going to add alto of quest every month

Sorry but if content is boring and repetitive it is not my problem. 

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357

You do realize this is entirely subjective, right?

Me enjoying the game and you being left out is entirely your problem, not mine nor the game's. Guess who is left looking for the next game they enjoy?

It only becomes a problem if enough people feel this way that the game can't sustain itself.

Good luck making that argument with your personal feelings. :D

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • sr7olsnipersr7olsniper Member UncommonPosts: 206

That is not the problem. The game has a fundamental flaw and that us that after your main class you have to pretty much grind your way to max level. The game i designed with multiple classes in mind to unlock jobs and such, but they make it incredibly boring and stupid to level up.levequests are a joke and the cap they give you a day is ridiculous.Fates are fun to do but he exp you get for them is laughable not to mention the distances needed to travel to get to them. Hunting logs are an interesting way to level, but they don't cap you so you are forced to grind afterwards.

Here is what I would do. I would either increase hunting log rewards or add more of them per rank, that way you can literally just hunt to level up your extra jobs while doing fates and such. The main issue I find with the current system is that once you do all the quests in one town, all you have to go by to level other jobs are hunting logs that don't get you to 15 or fates that don't give enough exp. leves are a complete joke since you can only do 3 the first day and they pretty much restrict you too much. 

SE needs to understand that this kind of grind doesn't go we'll on 2013. If you could basically JUST do hunting logs to level, while spicing it up with some leves and fates for extra classes there wouldn't be so much of an outcry.

At least with a sub game they know that people won't tolerate bullshit and leave. With anet we have no recourse but to buy our own lube so our assholes don't get too stretched out from getting bent over a table at Anets will. - Hrimnir

• fs23otmfs23otm Member RarePosts: 506

The key is to group up and kill same level mobs.

Me and my wife do this, and we chain up to 8 usually. You only get chain exp on same level or higher mobs. So together me and my wife get 25% extra exp, and chain more then you can solo which is bigger bonuses. 

Throw in guild leves, hunting logs, leves ... it is not hard to level.

Originally posted by Hyanmen

Me enjoying the game and you being left out is entirely your problem, not mine nor the game's. Guess who is left looking for the next game they enjoy?

It only becomes a problem if enough people feel this way that the game can't sustain itself.

Not to be THAT guy, but have you even read the beta forums for questing and leveling? It is pretty unanimous that grinding leves or farming fates as the only form of content is a recipe for disaster. Also to anyone bringing the dungeon card, you get shit exp on dungeons. We are talking about rewards vs effort here and the majority agrees that it needs tweaking 

At least with a sub game they know that people won't tolerate bullshit and leave. With anet we have no recourse but to buy our own lube so our assholes don't get too stretched out from getting bent over a table at Anets will. - Hrimnir

Originally posted by fs23otm

The key is to group up and kill same level mobs.

Me and my wife do this, and we chain up to 8 usually. You only get chain exp on same level or higher mobs. So together me and my wife get 25% extra exp, and chain more then you can solo which is bigger bonuses. 

Throw in guild leves, hunting logs, leves ... it is not hard to level.

You are basically grinding and that is the problem. They need this game not to tank and grinding like FFXI or Lineage just ain't gonna cut it. Leves need to be per class and not per char, you do 3 and then you are out. Logs are fun but we need more and that is literally easy to do for devs, lazy even but effective. you gotta understand that like me there are a lot of people that want this game to do good but also see the mistakes that need to be fixed in order to do so. 

XI was one of the best stories in an mmo ever and I'm confident XIV wil be the same but they need to remove the grind

Chaining is not the issue as I can do the same solo, the exp however is just not good regardless and at that point you are grinding, that is why I love hunting logs so much because ther are basically quests without the text. After your first job is leveled I wouldn't mind just doing hunting logs to level and doing other stuff on the side. fates are supposed to make the world feel alive not as a primary source of xp

what content isnt repetitive >.>

I think that repetitive content is viable as long as ther is a fun element to it. Grinding mobs with no objective is no fun, but grinding them to complete a hunting log and get bonus exp and Gil after it is pretty entertaining IMO.

Originally posted by sr7olsniper

Not to be THAT guy, but have you even read the beta forums for questing and leveling? It is pretty unanimous that grinding leves or farming fates as the only form of content is a recipe for disaster. Also to anyone bringing the dungeon card, you get shit exp on dungeons. We are talking about rewards vs effort here and the majority agrees that it needs tweaking 

Yes, I have read the beta forums. It is true that grinding leves or farming fates as the only form of content is bad.

I am glad to see you have noticed that the game has other forms of progression, too. I do not have heard nor seen anyone claim as unanimous fact that dungeon exp is "shit". I would go as far as to state that the exp is good enough. It's not as good as phase 1 and 2, nor does it have to be.

Every player in this game can level three classes without running out of quests out of the gate. In the future, players can level more classes without running out of quests. If you are one of the certain few that run out of quests before devs implement more of them, you are in the sad minority. At that point one can consider rage-quitting while declaring this to the world on the forums.

• fs23otmfs23otm Member RarePosts: 506

It is not bad design. 

I would rather kill mobs then run from hub to hub, clicking through some text, and then running back to the same hub. Rinse and Repeat.

I am from the UO/EQ era.. and killing mobs was how we played. I think it is a breath of fresh air to do this again.

• separateunionseparateunion Member Posts: 29
    Originally posted by simsalabim77
    Originally posted by separateunion
    I would also hope it's a nice balance between grouping a la FFXI and soloing a la WoW. I liked the grouping aspect of FFXI, but it was hard to progress if you couldn't find a group. Having a number of quests seems to alleviate this issue. On the other hand, in WoW, you could level every single character you created to max without ever grouping once (except possibly for instances). I always felt like this detracted from a close knit community. Forcing people to group at least occasionally builds relationships across the server and helps you meet people.

I'm fine with forced grouping so long as there is a feature in the game to facilitate grouping i.e. an instance finder of some type. Sitting in town spamming chat for hours so I can progress just isn't my idea of fun anymore. I played WoW for a long long time, and when I leveled a new character, I would ask if anyone would like to join me in zone chat, and more often than not, someone would, and we'd go and have fun. You don't have to solo in WoW. You can still group up to quest. You just have to be a little more social. 

I believe that ARR will be implementing a system similar to the dungeon finder in WoW. At least, from what I've read, that's how I envision it.

I agree that sitting around spamming chat channel for hours sucks. The final straw with me in FF XI was going to an area and spamming LFG for three hours without getting a sniff of an invite on three separate occasions. Almost ten hours straight spent in game looking for a group without finding one. That wasn't fun.

I found grouping in WoW difficult, except when it came to instances, and even then, it got difficult when BC was released. They rectified that in WotLK, but for soloing purposes, since there wasn't much benefit to grouping (except for a quest here or there that was impossible without a group), I found that most people weren't interested in it.

Did i make a claim to speak on behalf of you and everyone else?  i find the content boring and repetitve doesn't mean you have to feel the same. But thanks for pointing the obvious. Game is still in beta so we still have to see how many bail on this game after first month is over.

-Jesse Schell

-Luke McKinney

I think that repetitive content is viable as long as ther is a fun element to it. Grinding mobs with no objective is no fun, but grinding them to complete a hunting log and get bonus exp and Gil after it is pretty entertaining IMO.

o yea i enjoy that aspect of the game alot

Yes, I have read the beta forums. It is true that grinding leves or farming fates as the only form of content is bad.

I am glad to see you have noticed that the game has other forms of progression, too. I do not have heard nor seen anyone claim as unanimous fact that dungeon exp is "shit". I would go as far as to state that the exp is good enough. It's not as good as phase 1 and 2, nor does it have to be.

Every player in this game can level three classes without running out of quests out of the gate. In the future, players can level more classes without running out of quests. If you are one of the certain few that run out of quests before devs implement more of them, you are in the sad minority. At that point one can consider rage-quitting while declaring this to the world on the forums.

Trust me, dungeon exp is good for one or 2 levels but then you hit diminishing returns. After that it is leves and logs again and you still won't have enough for your next hunting rank. Btw the unanimous sentiment was about the leveling progression as a whole and not just for dungeons, love how you focused on a minor thing to try and dismiss my argument. Dungeons are for gear and not exp, the fact that they are timed should be a big indcative of it. 

The game is moving in the right track and I am glad Yoshida has improved the game so much compared t1.0 but a few changes still need to be made for the game to really be special. I am giving some solutions I came up with to try an incentivize discussion, however your attitude of the game is perfect and if you done like it move on doesn't help anybody. An mmo needs an abundant population to thrive and ultimately that is what we all want . 

Did i make a claim to speak on behalf of you and everyone else?  i find the content boring and repetitve doesn't mean you have to feel the same. But thanks for pointing the obvious. Game is still in beta so we still have to see how many bail on this game after first month is over.

Yes, I am quite sad too that I had to point out the obvious: that if you find the content repetitive and boring, that is no one's problem but yours. Nobody else is affected in any meaningful way.

I'm sure many will bail on the game after the first month. I'm sure many will not. Let's all take a moment to grieve for all those left looking for a game to enjoy, while the rest of us are enjoying ourselves immensely.

Originally posted by fs23otm

It is not bad design. 

I would rather kill mobs then run from hub to hub, clicking through some text, and then running back to the same hub. Rinse and Repeat.

I am from the UO/EQ era.. and killing mobs was how we played. I think it is a breath of fresh air to do this again.

I am from that era too with FFXI being my first mmo, but I think that nowadays it is too much. As I have said on previous posts hunting logs are a good compromise to let you grind while getting the benefits of questing Exp boosts. You don't move from hub to hub, you explore the zones and lets the grinders enjoy killing mobs while at the same time not hindering other people 

Yes, I am quite sad too that I had to point out the obvious: that if you find the content repetitive and boring, that is no one's problem but yours. Nobody else is affected in any meaningful way.

I'm sure many will bail on the game after the first month. I'm sure many will not. Let's all take a moment to grieve for all those left looking for a game to enjoy, while the rest of us are enjoying ourselves immensely.

You just love to argue for sake of it. When people give their opinion about games and how they find it boring it is because the content of the game doesn't appeal to them. That doesn't mean something is wrong with those people if you enjoy that similar content.

So yes it is not my problem that leves and grinding mobs and other mind numbing repetition doesn't appeal to me.

Now if i said or claimed that it sucks for everyone else than you had a point but i never said anything like that. Also you don't have to tell me again and again that you enjoy game immensely. Because again that is obvious that lot will enjoy the game in its current state. Hell so many enjoyed FFXIV's first version no matter how broken or big of a  flop it was. Some people also enjoy smelling their own farts immensely.

Don't like my opinion about your game? not my problem. Deal with it because that is what these forums are for.

-Jesse Schell

-Luke McKinney

Trust me, dungeon exp is good for one or 2 levels but then you hit diminishing returns. After that it is leves and logs again and you still won't have enough for your next hunting rank. Btw the unanimous sentiment was about the leveling progression as a whole and not just for dungeons, love how you focused on a minor thing to try and dismiss my argument. Dungeons are for gear and not exp, the fact that they are timed should be a big indcative of it. 

your attitude of the game is perfect and if you done like it move on doesn't help anybody.

Your unanimous sentiment was about the fact grinding leves and FATE's as the only form of content is bad. That's what you said. How can I take it as meaning anything else? You did not state that this is what the game is about, nor that the game has nothing else to offer, and I pointed that out. And then you got upset for some reason, lol.

Talking about dismissing one's argument, I am talking about dungeons giving fine exp to make progress in the game. How does that translate into "the game is perfect", who knows?

Sastasha Seagrot Level 15–17
    Tam-Tara Deepcroft Level 16–18
    Copperbell Mines Level 17–19
    Halatali Level 20–22
    Thousand Maws of Toto-Rak Level 23–25
    Haukke Manor Level 29–31
    Brayflox’s Longstop Level 32–34

Here's a chart for you. The recommended level ranges for the current dungeons. I can trust you in that dungeons are good for one or two levels, and then you can move on to the next dungeon. Yes, the beta is still lacking a dungeon for the 26-28 level range. If you get that far pre-launch with more than three classes then you are screwed, I agree. Is that what you wanted to say?

Now back to dismissing my argument because I disagree about dungeons giving good exp. The game has issues that bring down the experience. You can't receive /tells when Bound by Duty even from the members of your party, and even when you're not doing a cross-server dungeon. This is a huge annoyance. The lag between exiting a monster's AoE sphere and the game registering it is enormous, we are talking about seconds here. There is no good way to see where my party members are on the map, and even when they are in the same area they are hard to spot. You can't link items to the chat box. It is hard to get a full picture of the equipment in your possession from the Armoury Chest, as each item category is shown individually. The Limit Break system leaves a lot to be desired in it's current state, where there is little co-ordination required as the process is almost automatic, and where the skills can't be used individually but you have to sacrifice your LB for the group when it is really not a necessity at all if the system were done right. Clearly I think the game is perfect.