Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

List of Sandbox MMOs - Sticky Please

124»

Comments

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873

Almost all of these topics always end up in bickering about what is sandbox or not. And yes i disagree with your list.

It seems like you are posting your own MMOS which you 'think' are sandbox instead of opening up a bit and take suggestion from community.

Pointless really if you are just going with 'my way or highway' attitude. This is why this topic as a sticky is bad idea.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• AntiquatedAntiquated Member RarePosts: 1,415
    Originally posted by Doogiehowser

Almost all of these topics always end up in bickering about what is sandbox or not. And yes i disagree with your list.

Well it is Saturday...

But we've discussed it before; despite all attempts (by anyone) of 'standardizing' the 'obvious' definition, there are always going to be titles riding the border, and a good sized wad of games that people disagree on. SWG got disagreed about for 8 solid years, if you recall.

Fighting for the hipster cool points.

• whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472
    I feel you can't have a list like this without a tale in the desert in that list. Personal opinion of course.

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

• mCalvertmCalvert Member CommonPosts: 1,283

It seems like you are posting your own MMOS which you 'think' are sandbox instead of opening up a bit and take suggestion from community.

Pointless really if you are just going with 'my way or highway' attitude. This is why this topic as a sticky is bad idea.

No one has made any suggestions except to complain. If you don't like it, move along.

Originally posted by whilan
    I feel you can't have a list like this without a tale in the desert in that list. Personal opinion of course.

Elaborate. What makes it a sandbox?

Originally posted by Antiquated

Well it is Saturday...

But we've discussed it before; despite all attempts (by anyone) of 'standardizing' the 'obvious' definition, there are always going to be titles riding the border, and a good sized wad of games that people disagree on. SWG got disagreed about for 8 solid years, if you recall.

SWG is an obvious sandbox. As are the rest on the list. The only disagreement here as been whether terrain modification is a requirement. Given EVE sets the current MMORPG sandbox standard, terrain modification obviously isn't.

• BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by legendsolo
    Originally posted by azzamasin
    Originally posted by nerovipus32
    Originally posted by bcbully

Age of Wushu. 

add to your list. It's probably the best on the list. if you like people more than space ships 15-20 million worldwide. 

How exactly is age of wushu a sandbox? You can't build things in that game.

Show me in the definition of where you need to be able to build something to label it a sandbox.  Sandbox means non-linear, open ended gameplay. Period.

that's how you define 'sandbox'.

how i see it: you have openworlds and sandboxes. In an open world the player can roam freely through the virtual world and is given freedom in how or when to approach objectives.No invisible walls and loading screens that block you from certain parts of the world.In a sandbox, the player has tools to modify the world themselves and create how they play. openworlds dont necessarily imply a sandbox. For me AoW is a openworld.

Excellent way of explaining it - I agree with this 100%.

I talked to several developers and they agreed the key to sandbox games is that players are given the tools to change the game, the more aspects they can change the more of a sandbox you have.

a 100% sandbox game is where the player can change EVERY aspect down to physics in zones (being able to turn off gravity for example), nothing is off limits.

I am not aware if any MMOs that are 100% sandbox games.

Do you have any idea how retarded this sounds??   Honestly do you?  

Lets say I come in and turn the lights off in the game.  Now it it is completely dark.   Haha.  So you come in and turn them back on again.  But wait, I can turn them back off.  On. Off. On........

Get the picture?   Your perfect little sandbox world is nothing but a gankfest and always will be.  Because in that type of world that is exactly the type of player that will rule it.  The guys that just want to screw it up for everyone else.  

Give me Fallen Earth any day.  Or something like SWG.

A perfect sandbox game?   Doesn't exist and never will!   And who really cares  because no one would want to play it anyway.  Except the gankers.

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

• Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959
    Originally posted by mCalvert

Well it is Saturday...

SWG is an obvious sandbox. As are the rest on the list. The only disagreement here as been whether terrain modification is a requirement. Given EVE sets the current MMORPG sandbox standard, terrain modification obviously isn't.

exept you know you can build in eve, you can purchase and place a space station anywhere in sector space. and a fe wother things.

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,100
    Originally posted by someforumguy
    Originally posted by madazz

You know, I think fallen earth is pretty neat, but I never got the sandbox vibe fully. Some of it was there though. The thing that turned me off was the cash shop. And to be quite honest, I don't even know how bad it is (ie; P2W, cosmetics, what? lol)

Anarchy Online has a cash shop you know and in EVE you can even buy ingame currency :p My point is that it has nothing to do with the game being a sandbox.

As for Fallen Earth. Skillbased, no player classes, huge open world. No handholding. Very elaborate crafting system. It basically fits all the OP's requirement, but it is not on the list because the OP doesn't know it and a few said it shouldn't be on it because it has quests (which are not mandatory). You can just as well start lvling through pvp.

I read over my post a few times and I cannot find where I stated that buying anything makes it a sandbox or not. 

Originally posted by Squeak69
    Originally posted by mCalvert

Well it is Saturday...

exept you know you can build in eve, you can purchase and place a space station anywhere in sector space. and a fe wother things.

That's not terrain modification, that's just housing. You cant terraform planets, add things to gates, permanently wipe out asteroid belts. Youre very limited in where and what you can build (place really)

• FestanoFestano Member Posts: 35
    I'm curious to try Age of Wishu