Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My approach with FFXIV will be...

KopogeroKopogero Member UncommonPosts: 1,685

To be honest, lately I do hope every single MMO that's coming to be huge success, cuz that's what we want right? Unfortunately, I havent seen that happen post WOW.

My 22+ years of hardcore gaming , the 12 years of MMORPG gaming and the amount of $ I've shelled out to "experience" most games from the arcade and Nintendo era helps me today to hold a pretty good record that I'm kinda proud of.

I have managed to not spend $ on a new MMO since DCUO was released ($35 with promo + 30 days) back in January 11, 2011. I must admit I came very close to buying FFXIV as well. I walked all the way to Future Shop and I changed my mind before I entered.

Anyways, back to FFXIV: Reborn. To spend $ on this game few things must happen.

#1 To have overall positive feedback 3 months after launch (as a themepark MMO, depending on endgame raiding) it will take the newbies 1-2 months to go through the leveling content.

#2 Playerbase. Even WOW with its massive numbers struggled a lot, releasing delayed content. (End of WOTLK was best example). So this game would really need to get big numbers (which I doubt in current saturation with this themepark model) to keep up with bright future ahead.

#3 All I know so far is that there will be a lot of copy/paste of WOW formula. Just improved crafting, better graphics. The biggest challenge yet will be the security, the economy and the side features like PvP or any other competition being successful (something WOW has failed to do huge time with the amount of ranking abuse through win trading and so forth)

Ultimately, FFXIV will need to have strong and big community to bring people together for the type of game they got in plan. WOW's been too ignorant and greedy to bring its dying, diminishing servers together so that's one opportunity I hope FFXIV will take advantage. I doubt though with the type of graphics in place servers can maintain the necessary playerbase.

Regardless, I care any MMO to succeed and I gave my 2 cents for FFXIV. After all I'm a great fan of their franchise.

Comments

• BjelarBjelar Member UncommonPosts: 398
    Originally posted by Kopogero
     I doubt though with the type of graphics in place servers can maintain the necessary playerbase.

I'm not sure I got this one.

I've played for 15 min so far, so don't ask me about the game. But the graphics is the most beautiful thing I have ever seen in an MMO. Stunning. First game to beat AoC on top settings.

• ZizouXZizouX Member Posts: 670
    Originally posted by Kopogero

To be honest, lately I do hope every single MMO that's coming to be huge success, cuz that's what we want right? Unfortunately, I havent seen that happen post WOW.

My 22+ years of hardcore gaming , the 12 years of MMORPG gaming and the amount of $ I've shelled out to "experience" most games from the arcade and Nintendo era helps me today to hold a pretty good record that I'm kinda proud of.

I have managed to not spend $ on a new MMO since DCUO was released ($35 with promo + 30 days) back in January 11, 2011. I must admit I came very close to buying FFXIV as well. I walked all the way to Future Shop and I changed my mind before I entered.

Anyways, back to FFXIV: Reborn. To spend $ on this game few things must happen.

#1 To have overall positive feedback 3 months after launch (as a themepark MMO, depending on endgame raiding) it will take the newbies 1-2 months to go through the leveling content.

#2 Playerbase. Even WOW with its massive numbers struggled a lot, releasing delayed content. (End of WOTLK was best example). So this game would really need to get big numbers (which I doubt in current saturation with this themepark model) to keep up with bright future ahead.

#3 All I know so far is that there will be a lot of copy/paste of WOW formula. Just improved crafting, better graphics. The biggest challenge yet will be the security, the economy and the side features like PvP or any other competition being successful (something WOW has failed to do huge time with the amount of ranking abuse through win trading and so forth)

Ultimately, FFXIV will need to have strong and big community to bring people together for the type of game they got in plan. WOW's been too ignorant and greedy to bring its dying, diminishing servers together so that's one opportunity I hope FFXIV will take advantage. I doubt though with the type of graphics in place servers can maintain the necessary playerbase.

Regardless, I care any MMO to succeed and I gave my 2 cents for FFXIV. After all I'm a great fan of their franchise.

Play the open beta and see if you're having fun.   That's pretty much it.  Otherwise, there are a lot of fish in the mmo sea.  I'm sure you'll find something you like.

I was one of the people that stayed in 1.0 even though it was an aweful game, and mostly because of the linkshell I was with.  When yoshiP took over, the game just got better and better.  I already know FFXIV: ARR is my home, mostly because I've played it and know what to expect.

I suggest you  just play.  Don't over think or over analyze... just play.  Your decision will be reached by itself.

• EtherignisEtherignis Member UncommonPosts: 249
    Like ZizouX said wait until OB launch and than judge.
  • SeariasSearias Member UncommonPosts: 743

<InvalidTag type="text/javascript" src="http://www.gamebreaker.tv/cce/e.js"></script><div class="cce_pane" content-slug="which-world-of-warcraft-villain-are-you" ctype="quiz" d="http://www.gamebreaker.tv"></div>;

• greenblood82greenblood82 Member UncommonPosts: 29

Even though I like the game and already preordered, I quite honestly don't expect it to last long. Everything in this game screams casual and short-term.

Leveling is ultra fast, getting gear is easy, everyone can instant teleport to previous visited areas, airship travel is instant, dungeon runs are quick. It basically feels like getting lots of rewards for zero risk and barely any time investment, so there's not alot of satisfaction for getting rewarded.

I have no clue how end game is gonna be, but i doubt it will be much different.

So in the end, if it keeps me entertained until eqnext comes out I'd be happy.

• ZizouXZizouX Member Posts: 670
    Originally posted by greenblood82

Even though I like the game and already preordered, I quite honestly don't expect it to last long. Everything in this game screams casual and short-term.

Leveling is ultra fast, getting gear is easy, everyone can instant teleport to previous visited areas, airship travel is instant, dungeon runs are quick. It basically feels like getting lots of rewards for zero risk and barely any time investment, so there's not alot of satisfaction for getting rewarded.

I have no clue how end game is gonna be, but i doubt it will be much different.

So in the end, if it keeps me entertained until eqnext comes out I'd be happy.

Take it from a guy who did 1.0 end game.  You're going to be very pleasantly surprised that your first impression is very wrong.

Yes, things are "easy" in beta where you're level capped at 35, where the director has said it was designed to be easy.  You will get one class to 50 very quickly until you realize that you need to level 2 more classes to 50 just to be able to use the best cross class abilities that are compatible with your main class.

Then you're goingto realize that you don't have any story quests to fall back on for your second class.  You're going to see that all of those western mmo quest hopping is no longer there because this isn't a typical "wow clone."  You have ONE character that can be everything.  The second and third time around, you will find yourself doing a lot of fates, guildhests, dungeons, etc.

It's designed for you to have at least 1 character at 50 to try end game... however, you will quickly realize you're woefully unprepared and it's going to require a lot more work and effort.

The Nael van Darnus hard mode was BRUTAL in 1.0.  It took some linkshells 3-4 weekds to kill Garuda for the first time and another two weeks to have her on farm status.

Stick with it, and you'll see that your patience was rewarded.+

BTW:  Have you dont your lvl 15 story and class quests?  They're not hard, but many many people have died on them repeatedly.  I really can't say that for any other mmo i've played at lvl 15.

• greenblood82greenblood82 Member UncommonPosts: 29

I didn't play 1.0 so I don't know how endgame was, but it could be totally different in ARR, time will tell i guess...

I have only leveled multiple classes to 10-13 and I don't plan to do anymore than that until beta4/early access or whenever they will stop doing wipes. Reason being, doing content for the first time feels always the best , so I'll save that for when starting my permanent char.

Running out of quests for my second or third class is actually something I like. I'm not a fan of pure quest-leveling.

As I said I like the game and already preordered and if i'm wrong with my assumption about it not lasting long, well that would be great, if not then I guess it was still worth the 18,75€ I paid for it. Even if I only play for a month.