Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[General Article] Star Trek Online: Legacy of Romulus Review

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Star Trek Online received the Legacy of Romulus expansion not long ago and we've been playing the new content to see how it fares. We've got our exclusive review to share today and also look forward to your thoughts in the comments. Read on!

The story itself is where the expansion shines and comes into its own. Being developed by Cryptic, STO has the Foundry: a system which allows you to build your own missions or take on pre-built ones in your own sort of instance. Although you can take players with you, the Legacy of Romulus story missions are instanced. This has the tendency to make content feel more like a single player experience, rather than an MMORPG. 

Read more of George Dimmock's Star Trek Online: Legacy of Romulus Review.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

"Cryptic have also extended the free-to-play options further. Upon character creation you will now be able to start as any faction and level them straight from 1 to 50."

Just a slight correction: It has nothing to do with the f2p options, it's part of the new content update of the LoR expansion...

Prior Romulus one could start a klingon only at lvl20 not because of f2p restrictions, simply there was no lvl1-20 klingon content in the game :)  (and some would even add that for klinks there was not much content above 20 either... but not me, I like the KDF storyline). With romulans now 1-50, and feds were 1-50 since launch, it would've been funny if klingons stay at 20-50 only, so Cryptic added some 1-20 content for klingons into the expansion. That's why we can now start with any faction :)

• WolfClawsWolfClaws Member UncommonPosts: 638

Ummmm, the review is sorely lacking, I am sorry.

There are a huge number of wacky bugs out there.  Yes I enjoy the expansion as much as the next guy, but when my "first officer" pops up on the screen talking and HE is a female orion officer, it is kind of disorientating.

There are a number of new graphical bugs and the MOST annoying bug ever... I get a popping sound out of my speakers and headset (does not matter which I use) that is only present in the game after the expansion was released.

Yes there are ships, and with that people will notice a whole new aspect to space combat that was only recently brought out. 

Again, this review is lacking, and I would ask that Mr Dimmock "review" this and not try to sell it.

On a side note, I do appreciate Dim Mak...

• buegurbuegur Member UncommonPosts: 457

I haven't seen a single bug and leveled my romulan up to the 50th level cap, that might be why he didn't mention any.  I certainly don't have a audio problem after I downloaded the expansion either.  Unfortunately PC's are all made different and problems like the audio one you have experienced seem to be a problem with that diversity.

I agree the Romulan story is fun and Cryptic did well with that.

• MondoA2JMondoA2J Member Posts: 258

Scotty beam up a new sound card stat!!

MMORPG Gamers/Developers need a reality check!

• WolfClawsWolfClaws Member UncommonPosts: 638

I am techno savvy, it is not on my end.  I play a variety of games and listen to music, etc, and I dont get that popping noise.

And if you never got visual bugs in your game, then a. you were fortunate or b, you were not paying attention.

• Aero077Aero077 Member Posts: 3
    The bug with the first bridge officer's voice with another bridge officer's face occurs when you remove that first bridge officer from your away team.  After you do a couple more missions, the voice & face sync up again to the first bridge officer.  Annoying, but doesn't ruin an otherwise excellent expansion.
  • DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873

To be honest  STO has more bugs than star ship troopers. But i would agree that story is great but that is all there is. Once you are done with that you are faced with really mind numbing reputation and dilithium grind.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768

And did you know that once you are done with life you are faced with death!!?

Oh why is there no end game in life!!?

Why!!!?

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by Boneserino

And did you know that once you are done with life you are faced with death!!?

Oh why is there no end game in life!!?

Why!!!?

Are you comparing real life to MMOS now? all right!

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• kedarakedara Member UncommonPosts: 72
    I enjoyed the new additions especially the shiny new ships and character features. However, I was nearly lost to them as I realized that the storyline I was playing was perpetually bugged. Then they fixed it the next day, otherwise I don't know what people are referring to when they say "lots of bugs" or "all the bugs" as there really weren't many bugs at all. Maybe I am just really lucky.
  • bubalubabubaluba Member Posts: 434
    Tried and i can say best gaming experience i had in last few months.
  • HeafstaggHeafstagg Member UncommonPosts: 172
    I got a romulan to 34, zero bugs encountered so far.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

I did try to pop back and take a look the story did seem to be pretty good..

one thing tho that stopped me playing.. is the only way to get new ships to actually pay real money for the currency or can to make it in game?

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by Caldrin

I did try to pop back and take a look the story did seem to be pretty good..

one thing tho that stopped me playing.. is the only way to get new ships to actually pay real money for the currency or can to make it in game?

Everything you see in the store can earn ingame, with farming enough dilithium and convert it to Zen (the real money currency). Of course it's a slow and grindy way, but if you willing to put the time in, you won't have to spend a dime, ever.

During the leveling route you get a free ship every time you get promoted (every 10th level). If you're a free player, you won't get the last one at the level 50 promotion, but you can buy one for dilithium.