Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2 is a success no matter how you feel about it.

Comments

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by Distopia
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard
    Originally posted by Randayn
    I have to disagree.  I believe its a monumental failure for the MMORPG enthusiast.   It sets a tone that will eventually be the death of the real MMORPG.

Everyone has his own definition of "real MMORPG".

To me, GW2 is closer to the original pioneers not based on EQ cloning (UO and AC1) than any other game released since November 2, 1999.

A true mmo >> RP << g is not about repeating dungeons to farm gear. It's about a living changing world, exploration, adventure. Are we players, or are we hamsters on a wheel?

SWG finds your lack of mention disturbing,  that's not a midget on your back or a turtleneck, it's a force choke.

If only SWG could be classified as a success story.

@OP

Your post is entirely subjective. Without a set of standards to gauge against, there is no way this in anything more than your opinion.

Did ANET succeed in delivering a decent game that is fun and is considered a value for it's cost? Sure, I'll say they did.

Did ANET accomplish what they set out to achieve according to their manifesto?  No, they did not.

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer
    I have to disagree.  I believe its a monumental failure for the MMORPG enthusiast.   It sets a tone that will eventually be the death of the real MMORPG.

To me, GW2 is closer to the original pioneers not based on EQ cloning (UO and AC1) than any other game released since November 2, 1999.

A true mmo >> RP << g is not about repeating dungeons to farm gear. It's about a living changing world, exploration, adventure. Are we players, or are we hamsters on a wheel?

SWG finds your lack of mention disturbing,  that's not a midget on your back or a turtleneck, it's a force choke.

@OP

Your post is entirely subjective. Without a set of standards to gauge against, there is no way this in anything more than your opinion.

Did ANET succeed in delivering a decent game that is fun and is considered a value for it's cost? Sure, I'll say they did.

Did ANET accomplish what they set out to achieve according to their manifesto?  No, they did not.

Well I'ts not my personal opinion It's a fact that Anet is hireing more people when other MMOs lay of people after 6 months, no server merges, now they are planning on release content patches 2 times a month and plenty of people ingame and Anet is closing in on It's first year, if that isnt spellt success then I don't know what is

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• vveaver_onlinevveaver_online Member UncommonPosts: 436

It might be a commercial hit but I would rather play Dragon Prophet than GW2.

GW2 is a shallow game detached from any connection to the game world.

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155

"this is a space only mmo, i wouldnt compare it to a traditional mmorpg"

Lol. You can draw the line between "not traditional" and "traditional" in so many places. One can definitely state that GW2 is not a traditional MMORPG and should therefore not be compared to World of Warcraft.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by TwoThreeFour

Lol. You can draw the line between "not traditional" and "traditional" in so many places. One can definitely state that GW2 is not a traditional MMORPG and should therefore not be compared to World of Warcraft.

That would be a refreshing change. I look at GW2 as the not-WoW of MMORPG themepark flavored games. (By themepark flavored I mean it's definitely not sandbox yet you're not on rails like most themepark games have you on.)

Oderint, dum metuant.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by caetftl
    Originally posted by Torgrim

Why I made this thread is that I've read several post during the months from people who are looking for a new game or just babbling about......something....

What they all wrote is that GW2 is fail.

Sure it was a fail in their opinion, nothing else, they felt the game was a true failure and the rest  of us who really likes it are fanboys and dont know what a good game really is.

The point with this thread is simple, the game is not a fail but it might be a fail in your book your personal book and that is not important for the rest of us who enjoys it.

The game can be considered a fail, but it might be a success in your personal book, but that is not important to the majority of players who bought the game, who no longer play. 

LOL - the MAJORITY of my guild bought it new and are still playing. Please don't speak for others with YOUR OPINION. You show disrespect to other players that way.

@OP

Well I'ts not my personal opinion It's a fact that Anet is hireing more people when other MMOs lay of people after 6 months, no server merges, now they are planning on release content patches 2 times a month and plenty of people ingame and Anet is closing in on It's first year, if that isnt spellt success then I don't know what is

Again, you are using standards. Which is fine. But you need to define that 1st. Is GW2 profitable? I'd say so. Is that your measure of success? Well, then it's a success. Is the game enjoyable to it's player base? Well, now you have some differing opinions. So for some, it is, for others it's not. For me, I enjoyed the game, A lot. I'm bored with it now, But I'll be back when they release content. I'm not as optimistic as others that this new content will be all that great, but I'll give it a chance.

But to say the game is successful no matter how I feel is not a fact, it's an opinion. The very nature of defining success is entirely subjective. My standard will be to judge the game by the openly public and quite lofty goals ANET, themselves, set for the game. This is the standard they told us they were using. When I look at the game from that perspective (the Manifesto) I'm sorry, I find it lacking and therefore, from the perspective of did they meet their announced goals? I say no, it wasn't a success. And I am no more wrong for saying that, than you are for FEELING the opposite way about it. And my opinion is not unfounded or based on incorrect information. (I will, however, acknowlege that interpretation of the how well they achived succes against the Manifesto is also subjective)

TLDR: You aren't wrong in saying GW2 is a success based on how you define it. You are wrong for adding no "matter how I feel." since the definition is subjective.

Originally posted by Volkon

That would be a refreshing change. I look at GW2 as the not-WoW of MMORPG themepark flavored games. (By themepark flavored I mean it's definitely not sandbox yet you're not on rails like most themepark games have you on.)

There was another successful MMORPG themepark that was very different. It was around for many years. Until NC-Soft killed it.  It was City of Heroes. Very fun game. Too bad really. It was less like WoW than GW2.

But the problem with the "not-WoW" model is that it's exactly that. The game was designed to be "not-WoW" Too much resourse was spent on avoiding WoW's mechanics than in actually finding what was going to work best. IMO. They could have kept what worked and tweaked what didn't work. Who cares if it felt a bit more like WoW than it does? Who cares as long as the game is fun as hell? But there are too many new and unproven dynamics that were thrown togeather all at once. Really too ambitious of a project. I mean they did a hell of a job, but I think too much effort wasted on re inventing the wheel. In many cases, we got an alternative mechanic. But is it truly better than WoW's? Some are, Some are worse and some are just tradeoffs. I don't think the elimination of the Trinity is a bad goal, and ANET did in fact achieve that goal, but I don't think they moved the genre forward with a better design. Neither do the developers of the next round of games coming out. GW2's dungeon design brings in as many new issues as it solved.

There was another successful MMORPG themepark that was very different. It was around for many years. Until NC-Soft killed it.  It was City of Heroes. Very fun game. Too bad really. It was less like WoW than GW2.

But the problem with the "not-WoW" model is that it's exactly that. The game was designed to be "not-WoW" Too much resourse was spent on avoiding WoW's mechanics than in actually finding what was going to work best. IMO. They could have kept what worked and tweaked what didn't work. Who cares if it felt a bit more like WoW than it does? Who cares as long as the game is fun as hell? But there are too many new and unproven dynamics that were thrown togeather all at once. Really too ambitious of a project. I mean they did a hell of a job, but I think too much effort wasted on re inventing the wheel. In many cases, we got an alternative mechanic. But is it truly better than WoW's? Some are, Some are worse and some are just tradeoffs. I don't think the elimination of the Trinity is a bad goal, and ANET did in fact achieve that goal, but I don't think they moved the genre forward with a better design. Neither do the developers of the next round of games coming out. GW2's dungeon design brings in as many new issues as it solved.

CoH doomed itself and that is reality. You can blame all you want but reality is it wasn't a popular game so it died. PERIOD. CoH fans realize this and you will be better off.

There is no CoH and it is dead.

• dgarbinidgarbini Member Posts: 185

I would personally say the game was what I would consider a success.  I personally do not like the direction it went it but that is my opinion nothing more.  A potential problem I could see with its success though would be that other developers would see it and take the wrong things out of its success.  Similar to WOW every time you have a hit for anything you always get these dorks who take the wrong thing out of it and try to repeat it again and again.  Aside from that I am not quite sure the point of this thread.

• caetftlcaetftl Member Posts: 358
    Originally posted by botrytis

Why I made this thread is that I've read several post during the months from people who are looking for a new game or just babbling about......something....

Sure it was a fail in their opinion, nothing else, they felt the game was a true failure and the rest  of us who really likes it are fanboys and dont know what a good game really is.

The point with this thread is simple, the game is not a fail but it might be a fail in your book your personal book and that is not important for the rest of us who enjoys it.

The game can be considered a fail, but it might be a success in your personal book, but that is not important to the majority of players who bought the game, who no longer play. 

LOL - the MAJORITY of my guild bought it new and are still playing. Please don't speak for others with YOUR OPINION. You show disrespect to other players that way.

All of my guild, and my friends guild, and my other friends guild and my other friends guild bought it new and stopped playing long ago.  If you honestly believe that gw2 has retained the majority of its players you are living under a rock, and don't actually look at the world, only your own little circle. 

• Skarecrow7Skarecrow7 Member UncommonPosts: 339
    Originally posted by Desmorta
    Just because your popular, doesnt mean your good.

Just because YOU don't like something doesn't mean it is bad.

• Skarecrow7Skarecrow7 Member UncommonPosts: 339

All of my guild, and my friends guild, and my other friends guild and my other friends guild bought it new and stopped playing long ago.  If you honestly believe that gw2 has retained the majority of its players you are living under a rock, and don't actually look at the world, only your own little circle. 

I am just impressed with how charitable Anet is. I mean, here they are keeping a bunch of servers open, even updating just about monthly with new items and things to do, all for the what, 30, 40 people that are not your friends (or friends of friends). My god, Anet must be spending a fortune just to keep these very few poor souls that arent connected to you busy.

Bless you Anet.

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088

All of my guild ,my brothers guild, my next door neighbour guild and that hobo guild down the street still playes the game.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

I don't think GW2 lost a majority of players - sure I know guilds that have left - many smaller guilds  but others have came into the game.

To say that the Majority have left - is not only dishonest but just to support your own claim in that you left.  Every NA server is High or Very high in population.

• Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131

Why would you care what anyone else thinks ?...You didn't like it so move along

I don't think GW2 lost a majority of players - sure I know guilds that have left - many smaller guilds  but others have came into the game.

To say that the Majority have left - is not only dishonest but just to support your own claim in that you left.  Every NA server is High or Very high in population.

"High" and "very high" means nothing when the company can set them arbitrarily. If Arenanet was really interested in being honest, they would have done something akin to was done in another game: unique logins per month chart. Although that would be able to be manipulated too :D, not quite sure if there would be any legal repercussions in such case for manipulating a such official chart.

The best one can do is anecdotes and that's certainly not enough to draw general conclusions pointing towards either direction.

Originally posted by Bad.dog

Why would you care what anyone else thinks ?...You didn't like it so move along

Few people on this Earth do not care about what any stranger thinks of them XD. It is human nature.

• wsmarwsmar Member Posts: 122

The majority of NA servers are actually medium, and that's during prime time my friend. I was there when the game launched, and I log on every now and again. They have lost a ton of players. It is a fact.

• VentlusVentlus Member Posts: 96
    Hmmm like it made a profit so it is a success in that way? But people where expecting it to be the next huge mmo and it just isn't. WoW still has more players, and good amount of people that wanted GW2 to be good where left with disappointment. From my person view i see it as not really a failure but a disappointment. Went from gw1 having full customized skill set, to GW2 can customize half the skills and the other half kind of customize. PvP in gw1 teams that coordianted their unique skill sets to battle your way into hall of heroes, do Guild vs guild etc. In gw2 again only customize half your skills, so it cut down in the uniquness of pvp. I honestly don't know if their is gvg cause i didn't play for long, but the pvp maps with the castle where just alot of aoe spamming etc. Pve just doesn't hold water compared to the other MMO's out their, Seems like they focus on more microstransactions then actual content but hey thats my view. Everytime i think about trying guildwars 2 again i just cant get my self to 
  • NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673

Unless either of you is in a guild with several tens of thousands of players, neither of you have anything to add to this discussion but anecdotal data. Neither of you is speaking for anyone but yourselves. I don't see much merit in trying to convince each other that ones own data is somehow less anecdotal then the others. It isn't.

Originally posted by wsmar

The majority of NA servers are actually medium, and that's during prime time my friend. I was there when the game launched, and I log on every now and again. They have lost a ton of players. It is a fact.

Eh... you may not be caught up on current events, but there have been at least three occasions where max server population was increased, including fairly recently, because too many were hitting "Full" (and because they could). Servers are showing medium now that would have been full on release. 

It is a fact.

Oderint, dum metuant.

Originally posted by wsmar

Eh... you may not be caught up on current events, but there have been at least three occasions where max server population was increased, including fairly recently, because too many were hitting "Full" (and because they could). Servers are showing medium now that would have been full on release. 

It is a fact.

Wrong wrong and wrong... just as they can increase server caps, they can decrease them.  When they hemorrhage players (by every known metric online suggesting this) they lower the caps to make the servers seem "just as full" as usual.   Anet has already stated their intended targets for concurrent server caps.  Their initial goal was 1500 concurrent per server.  The game isn't nearly as healthy as people think. 

Wrong wrong and wrong... just as they can increase server caps, they can decrease them.  When they hemorrhage players (by every known metric online suggesting this) they lower the caps to make the servers seem "just as full" as usual.   Anet has already stated their intended targets for concurrent server caps.  Their initial goal was 1500 concurrent per server.  The game isn't nearly as healthy as people think. 

No, this is pretty much a load of crap. You're forgetting (or never knew) that I'm among one of the most observant groups in GW2 with regards to server caps... the WvW crowd. On JQ there have been three instances where we've been stuck at full (but able to manipulate the population to Very High with blackout events) which is an issue when trying to get new guilds to transfer over. At those times what you'd see was the top five or so servers sitting on Full most of the time with the rest Very High. Then, suddenly, all servers magically (and very noticeably) have more space. JQ and the other Fulls are sitting at Very High, some Very Highs drop to high and a few of the smaller servers hit Medium all at once. This tends to result in a flurry of activity with server transfers of guilds, and often these flurries aren't enough to max out the servers at the new caps. Then, over time, the populations slowly drift back on up again... the big ones start nibbling at Full, then stay there for longer periods, and the cycle repeats as ANet makes more space. At least three times this has been seen to happen, and there's been no game-wide population drop that could explain it.

This game is actually far more healthy than people realize. Once culling is removed that'll be more clear. They've removed culling already it seems from the Claw of Jormag events, and the effect is quite noticeable.

Oderint, dum metuant.

No, this is pretty much a load of crap. You're forgetting (or never knew) that I'm among one of the most observant groups in GW2 with regards to server caps... the WvW crowd. On JQ there have been three instances where we've been stuck at full (but able to manipulate the population to Very High with blackout events) which is an issue when trying to get new guilds to transfer over. At those times what you'd see was the top five or so servers sitting on Full most of the time with the rest Very High. Then, suddenly, all servers magically (and very noticeably) have more space. JQ and the other Fulls are sitting at Very High, some Very Highs drop to high and a few of the smaller servers hit Medium all at once. This tends to result in a flurry of activity with server transfers of guilds, and often these flurries aren't enough to max out the servers at the new caps. Then, over time, the populations slowly drift back on up again... the big ones start nibbling at Full, then stay there for longer periods, and the cycle repeats as ANet makes more space. At least three times this has been seen to happen, and there's been no game-wide population drop that could explain it.

This game is actually far more healthy than people realize. Once culling is removed that'll be more clear. They've removed culling already it seems from the Claw of Jormag events, and the effect is quite noticeable.

If you were among one of the most observant you would have a much better understanding of populations.  Blackout events prove nothing about CONCURRENT users... Their goal was 1500 per server, that's pretty low, but you can't blame them, their server technology and netcode are kinda weak (as proven by wvw)

Try to look at things objectively, you are a very pro-gw2 person, I am not an anti-gw2 person, I wanted the game to be everything it promised, but i'm not going to pretend it is, when it isn't. 

1.  Devs themselves said goal was 1500 concurrent initially.

2.  Every metric that has shown accurate correlation between it's statistics and the health of mmos has shown gw2 to have a severe almost catastrophic drop off.  Funny how these metrics aren't allowed to count for gw2 though right?  Because gw2 is the magic child that magically can't be measured. 

3.  Devs have stated they adjust server caps up and down.