Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please, tell me why you hate PVP so much. I just don't understand.

bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

It's not like you die IRL. It's a game sometimes you win sometimes you lose.  Is it because -

You lose a lot?

You can't get better?

It's scary?

To much adrenalin? 

It makes you angry?

PvP'rs are mean?

Outside of "I just don't like it" which is not an explanation, this is what I ask myself when I hear someone say "I wish there was no pvp" 

I mean to me PVP is the pinnacle off multiplayer gaming. You test your skills against mine. We use what we found in the world and see if it works. 

Why, please tell me. Maybe developers have done studies and stuff, but I haven't, I really don't get it.

Update - Top reasons

Lack of time

Mean player/ Nasty attitudes 

Not a competitive person

OBSERVATION - Every scenario given by those against PvP involves being the person that gets killed. Check it out for yourself. 

There's some really good stuff in here Thank you to those who are giving their time.

edit- they red text is not meant to demean. It's an observation, a true observation. If we reach the heart of the problem maybe it can be fixed. I made the observation text smaller and changed it back to white from red, for sake of civility.

Underlying Issue -The main cause of resentment seems to be bad game designs, with no risk of punishment for the griefer. In the scenarios given people are getting killed/camped with no recourse, and the camper has no fear of punishment. Who would want that? Come on devs you can do better!

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"

Comments

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043
    Nobody hates PvP. People don't like forced PvP. It's a shoddy way to throttle weak PvE content. Having to stop and entertain some jughead when all you logged in to do was chop some trees or farm some hides.
  • DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

I don't hate pvp, I enjoy it very much...I just don't really like mmo pvp and don't want it to be the focus of what I do when I log into an mmo to play with friends.

My gaming life doesn't revolve around competition and showing I'm better than someone. Sometimes I just want to kick back relax and kill npc things while chatting with friends. That's what I'm looking for in most mmos.

When I want pvp I tend to look for games that aren't based on RNGs and gear grinds for better stats.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by free2play
    Nobody hates PvP. People don't like forced PvP. It's a shoddy way to throttle weak PvE content. Having to stop and entertain some jughead when all you logged in to do was chop some trees or farm some hides.

Why not beat the guy (or lose) and go about your business. You win some you lose some. YOu can even run, I'm sure there is another node right around the corner. Is it that big of a deal?

• AG-VukAG-Vuk Member UncommonPosts: 823
    Originally posted by bcbully

It's not like you die IRL. It's a game sometimes you win sometimes you lose.  Is it because -

You lose a lot?   X

You can't get better?  X

It's scary?

To much adrenalin? 

It makes you angry? X

Are people mean to you when you pvp?

Outside of "I just don't like it" which is not an explanation, this is what I ask myself when I hear someone say "I wish there was no pvp" 

I mean to me PVP is the pinnacle off multiplayer gaming. You test your skills against mine. We use what we found in there world and see if it works. 

Why, please tell me. Maybe developers have done studies and stuff, but I haven't, I really don't get it.

What I think it is , is that each game has it's own quirks and tricks. People are egotistical and lazy. They don't want to put the effort in figuring out what and how to improve. They want instance gratification. They want to instantly ( minimal effort ) good and obtain max pleasure. ( victory more then defeat ) People don't want to work hard at figuring out combinations of attacks that proc, or how to min max stats. It too hard or they just don't understand it.

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099
    War itself is the enemy.
  • Electro057Electro057 Member UncommonPosts: 683

Why not beat the guy (or lose) and go about your business. You win some you lose some. YOu can even run, I'm sure there is another node right around the corner. 

Well in my experience the guy was a skull or ?? to me and killed me instantly, then kept doing it over and over and I was forced to log out and try again later or another day. And that sucks when I get home from work, have an hour or two to play...And I can't because some player that instakills me is getting his jollies. And a lot of the time you can't run away if they can pull you to them, move swiftly, teleport....Ect ect...And then there are games where if you join late like I did it's as if there are hunting groups out for new players (Darkfall.) And that pretty much gave me no incentive to keep playing.

On the other hand I love fighting with similar level players. But that rarely ever happens...It's usually me on my own in a big empty world surrounded by max level characters. And it blows chunks.

--Custom Rig: Pyraxis---
    NZXT Phantom 410 Case
    Intel Core i5-4690 Processor - Quad Core, 6MB Smart Cache, 3.5GHz
    Asus Sabertooth Z87 Motherboard
    Asus GeForce GTX 760 Video Card - 2GB GDDR5, PCI-Express 3.0
    Kingston HyperX Fury Blue 16GB

• WellzyCWellzyC Member UncommonPosts: 599

Some people get intimidated by it.

The way mmo's were: Community, Exploration, Character Development, Conquest.

The way mmo's are now : Cut-Scenes,Cut-Scenes, solo Questing, Cut-Scenes...

www.CeaselessGuild.com

• IkifalesIkifales Member UncommonPosts: 305
    Not sure why people hate it but I love it for the rush, especially in open world...even when i'm losing, or getting ganked while leveling...The rush from the payback is fun.
  • MMO-ManiacMMO-Maniac Member Posts: 176

Why not beat the guy (or lose) and go about your business. You win some you lose some. YOu can even run, I'm sure there is another node right around the corner. Is it that big of a deal?

Problem there is the jughead is usually 20-40 lvls higher than you. And is usually just out gankin'.

I like me some pvp. But Gankfest games are not fun pvp.

Originally posted by Electro057

Why not beat the guy (or lose) and go about your business. You win some you lose some. YOu can even run, I'm sure there is another node right around the corner. 

Well in my experience the guy was a skull or ?? to me and killed me instantly, then kept doing it over and over and I was forced to log out and try again later or another day. And that sucks when I get home from work, have an hour or two to play...And I can't because some player that instakills me is getting his jollies. And a lot of the time you can't run away if they can pull you to them, move swiftly, teleport....Ect ect...And then there are games where if you join late like I did it's as if there are hunting groups out for new players (Darkfall.) And that pretty much gave me no incentive to keep playing.

On the other hand I love fighting with similar level players. But that rarely ever happens...It's usually me on my own in a big empty world surrounded by max level characters. And it blows chunks.

Those are bad games my friend.

The closet in my 8 years of mmo'ing I've come to what has happened to you, was when a rogue in RIFT was camping a lvl 20 zone. He killed me twice, then I snuck off and continued questing. It lasted a whole 4 minutes.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    I hate pvp, I hate getting killed but equally I see no pleasure out of destroying others. In real life I'm pretty risk adverse - all comes down to personalities imo.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• MyriaMyria Member UncommonPosts: 699

Outside of "I just don't like it" which is not an explanation, [...]

It's the only explanation that matters, whether you like or accept it or not is wholly irrelevant.

Question is, why do you care if other people like it or not?

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,892

Well I personally like pvp but I can EASILY (didn't you just make a post on critical thinking and that a good amount of people can't do it?) see why people don't like some pvp'ers.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • whisperwyndwhisperwynd Member UncommonPosts: 1,668

Some will hate it some will love it. The degrees of variation will be numerous in the spectrum. 

What does it really matter what someone likes or dislikes? You may not understand the "why's" for their decisions but we should always respect their opinions as we'd like others to respect ours.

If you can't, then trying to understanding anything is rather pointless as you'll invariably always think you are right.

As for me, I enjoy PvP without the griefing of players 50X stronger than me.

• znaiikaznaiika Member Posts: 203

I like pvp when it is an option not forced.

PvP bring hacking = I hate hackers.

PvP bring kids with nothing to do just to pvp 24/7 = I play css and other such games for that.

There are no penalty for killing lesser opponent = no challenge = grief....

Some people kill first then ask if help is needed = no civility.

I can go on and on and on.

• Electro057Electro057 Member UncommonPosts: 683
    Originally posted by Electro057

Those are bad games my friend.

The closet in my 8 years of mmo'ing I've come to what has happened to you, was when a rogue in RIFT was camping a lvl 20 zone. He killed me twice, then I snuck off and continued questing. It lasted a whole 4 minutes.

The same thing would happen most likely in Shadowbane, Xysom, and Mortal Online....If I was repeatedly ganked and corpse camped on games where PvP wasn't FFA and the core mechanic (WoW, Rift) then I can only assume that all FFA PvP games are like Darkfall. And that's why I dislike it really...I still play on PvP servers cause I love getting in fights with similar level folks and winning or losing, but most of the time....even on Rift which I'm playing free right now...It's just lvl 60s in groups killing me. And even if I spawn at the ressurection point they'll start killing me on it too. And I've had worse experiences with gankers...So that's what I don't like about PvP really. And in games where endgame is hunting new players....Like Darkfall, I can't see how you expect the playerbase to ever grow rather than shrink? 

--Custom Rig: Pyraxis---
    NZXT Phantom 410 Case
    Intel Core i5-4690 Processor - Quad Core, 6MB Smart Cache, 3.5GHz
    Asus Sabertooth Z87 Motherboard
    Asus GeForce GTX 760 Video Card - 2GB GDDR5, PCI-Express 3.0
    Kingston HyperX Fury Blue 16GB

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by Sovrath

Well I personally like pvp but I can EASILY (didn't you just make a post on critical thinking and that a good amount of people can't do it?) see why people don't like some pvp'ers.

It did make me laugh seeing this thread.

Originally posted by Sovrath

I'm not talking about "some pvp'ers" I'm talking about in general. I wondered for years. The reasons I gave are the ones I've come up with. Please tell me if there are more lol. I swear I'm trying. 

A previous poster said something about time. I thought to myself, "Ok." Then I thought back on my 8 years of mmorpg'n and couldn't think of a time where I lost more than a few minutes, and even then, did I really lose them?

• Sain34Sain34 Member UncommonPosts: 293

The gathered information on this I have seen is a few years old at this point but the results tended to be: About 10% of people PvP nearly exclusivly, 40% of people never PvP and 50% of people PvP "Sometimes" Now whatever "Sometimes" means I have no idea. 

Some people don't PvP because they don't want to be competitive. This thread kind of is your own answer. PvPers are always trying to cram pvp down peoples throat. "Why won't you pvp, man? It's the only thing that's fun"  How many threads have you seen trying to convince your to NOT PvP?

Personally I don't like most PvP because 15 year old Blake from the OC who's character is named XXXKillerEliteElfXXX is not someone I even want to associate with let alone actually play with.

• SinellaSinella Member UncommonPosts: 343

I never PvP because I don't like the feeling that I'm causing anger or loss for someone else. I hate to win in a PvP match even more than to lose.

I totally hate forced PvP games, because they attract the biggest a-holes in the gaming world. I don't like to spend my free time with psychopats. I'm not saying all PvPers are like that, most of them not, but some rotten apples can ruin the whole basket.

Originally posted by zymurgeist
    Actually some people do hate PvP. The way you phrased the question isn't going to get you an answer why though. At least not one you can understand.

How should it be phrased? I'll change the title.

• illorionillorion Member Posts: 467

I think its that some people just really really hate loosing... like to the point of quitting if it happens. The content of the modern day mmo... no... the modern day video game is just stupid easy... its almost impossible to loose. Quests are torn through with not so much as a ho hum and people like it that way.

Personally i rely on PvP and the possibility of getting ganked to make the game exciting. Steam rolling prefabricated content all day is boring and should be reserved for single player games... the whole point of MMO is that you are supposed to have to deal with other players... either good or bad.

Games haven't really been challenging since back in the days of the original NES. So I turn to MMO's and my fellow players to at least keep things interesting... 

"Don't mistake a fun game for a good game... Checkers is fun to play but its not exactly the highest point of gaming design... and definatly not worth $60 plus $15 a month"

• ThorqemadaThorqemada Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

In real life i would kill you amd you are gone forever.

In a mmo you just log out, come back when i do my rl and destroy my homestaed.

Do you really believe that is a working Business model?

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
    Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

Here's an example why..

Say there's a quest you want to go on and you have to travel all over to get certain items you have to bring together.You come up on the location of the first piece,but have to fight your way into a dungeon.The battle is grueling,but you are making progress and are just about to come up on the area where this quest piece lay,but a named,even stronger mob stand between you and the item.So you  heal up,wait for any cool downs on vital skills and proceed to commence the battle.*PULL*

The battle is close,but youre getting the upper hand when........

*YOU JUST GOT BACK STABBED BY DOUCHEY MCDOUCHERTON FOR 760 DAMAGE*

Shocked,you scramble to remedy the major influx of damage,though your heal spells and/or heal pots can not sustain the punishment.You give in to death,laying their watching as Douchey McDoucherton capitalizes on your hard work,finishing off the named mob and seizing your precious item..

In frustration you respawn and head back to the dungeon,hoping that the griefer got what he came for and left.To your dismay,the whole dungeon has respawned.Is Douchey still in there? perhaps waiting to cause more grief for his/her personal enjoyment?

who knows? ....back to square one.

• Athena_StarfireAthena_Starfire Member UncommonPosts: 213

Please, tell me why you hate PVP so much. I just don't understand?

Myself, I outgrew "My genitals are bigger than yours" a long time ago, which is pretty much the attitude of most pvp'ers I have met.