Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Read this and you will have confidence this game will be great! (message from Yoshida)

13»

Comments

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043

The long and the short is, they want FF14 to bring more people in to the MMO genre. Rather than play the subscription stealing game we have been seeing for 10 years, they want new blood.

All the power to them. It's the real legacy of World of Warcraft. They paved the road for a lot of knock off's. It's the incubus for Dust514 as well. If FF14 and Dust can bring in 5 million fresh bodies I'd say they both earned more than their fair share of cred.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • ThelricThelric Member UncommonPosts: 30

I'm glad developers are taking the time to brainstorming what needs to stay and what needs to go since a lot of existing gamers out there are adventurers who have been through their share of adventures. Gamers know what they want and what they would like to see in the future. Little insignificant changes such as jumping over obstacles and taking part in more dynamic content has become more mainstream since it makes players feel like they're part of their environment and they don't need an invitation to jump into the fun. It's really important an environment doesn't feel constricted and that they're part of the gaming world. There's much room for growth, but I like the direction recent games have taken.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how flexible encounters can become and how the developers will deal with making  players feel like they will experience something new each time they visit an old place. That's really a much needed fix to a problem most mmo's have failed to solve; how not to let a earlier environments become stale. I just hope it doesn't stop there. There's plenty of answers to be found in single player Action Adventure RPG's such as Nier, the Gothic series, TOR, Mass Effect, Risen, Dragons Dogma, etc. :) I hope the world becomes a living breathing place where adventures are out there to be found each time we take to the same road given the improvements of new technologies. I'll be sure to try the remake of ARR and hope for innovative future contents to keep the game fresh.

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392
    Impressive person to be captain of this ship.
  • neobahamut20neobahamut20 Member Posts: 336

I can't believe he posted this... its not how it works in business. MMOs are like a store. If the customer sees nothing of interest within 5 minutes, he will never return to your store. The MMOs are the same, except it's in the first session of play, not just 5 minutes. 

What he said is: "Screw you if you're not new to the MMO market"

So fine, screw me. Waiting on EQNext.

Boycotting EA. Why? They suck, even moreso since 2008.

• SenanSenan Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Originally posted by neobahamut20

I can't believe he posted this... its not how it works in business. MMOs are like a store. If the customer sees nothing of interest within 5 minutes, he will never return to your store. The MMOs are the same, except it's in the first session of play, not just 5 minutes. 

Yeah, I've got to agree with this to some extent. I really respect the guy, as well as SE in general for admitting the mistakes of the first version and working tirelessly to make a far better product, but if you have to preemptively justify/apologize about how boring the first so many levels of the player's combat experience will likely be, maybe there's a fundamental problem you should try to work on instead? I feel like they could have made the combat simple enough for new players to grasp initially, while at the same time making it more interesting for the vets that have seen it all countless times. Surely there could have been a compromise here.

As it stands, the combat is what I have been the most disappointed with in the game (that, and the lack of character customization/building with jobs). I can imagine it gets quite a bit more interesting down the road, but I'm not sure I'm going to want to stick around until the 30+ range to see if that actually holds true in practice.

• EhllfhireEhllfhire Member UncommonPosts: 633
    Originally posted by free2play

The long and the short is, they want FF14 to bring more people in to the MMO genre. Rather than play the subscription stealing game we have been seeing for 10 years, they want new blood.

All the power to them. It's the real legacy of World of Warcraft. They paved the road for a lot of knock off's. It's the incubus for Dust514 as well. If FF14 and Dust can bring in 5 million fresh bodies I'd say they both earned more than their fair share of cred.

I doubt that. Im pretty sure the market has been tapped for mmoers. SE isnt going to bring in any new mmoers that  havent already played one, let alone it being XI

Any graphical, audio, or gameplay restrictions not seen in other mmos but found in FFXIV can be blamed on one thing.
    PS3

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

For whatever reason, it seems he trying to make the bow (and arrow) better by tweeking. Maybe because that's all he has to work with. 

People are looking for more. He's not wrong in a lot of what he says, but at this point in time, 2013, it's largely irrelevant.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    • An online playing environment (more affordable in recent years)
    • Chat system
    • Battle system
    • Party gameplay
    • Real-time battle system
    • A basic interface allowing prolonged gameplay
    • A guild system such as linkshells and free companies
    • Crafting and gathering
    • Trading
    • Markets
    • Character development that doesn't require resetting

"Although they may be seen as drawbacks, these are all necessary in an MMO. These are also what make MMOs so interesting."

I disagree with him on Battle system, Real-time battle system, Guild System, Crafting & Gathering, Trading, and Markets.  If he wants to make the case for an MMO-rpg, then he might be correct, but even that is stretching it.  None of those are necessary in an MMO environment.  It doesn't seem as if he wants to expand his innovation in the genre, which sadly, most MMO designers do not.

• RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283
    Originally posted by observer
    • Chat system
    • Battle system
    • Party gameplay
    • Crafting and gathering
    • Trading
    • Markets

"Although they may be seen as drawbacks, these are all necessary in an MMO. These are also what make MMOs so interesting."

I disagree with him on Battle system, Real-time battle system, Guild System, Crafting & Gathering, Trading, and Markets.  If he wants to make the case for an MMO-rpg, then he might be correct, but even that is stretching it.  None of those are necessary in an MMO environment.  It doesn't seem as if he wants to expand his innovation in the genre, which sadly, most MMO designers do not.

they tried it once and it didnt work to well

• EhllfhireEhllfhire Member UncommonPosts: 633
    • Chat system
    • Battle system
    • Party gameplay
    • Crafting and gathering
    • Trading
    • Markets

Well SE has to play it safe, if they dont and they flub it again you can guarantee there will never be another SE mmo made

Any graphical, audio, or gameplay restrictions not seen in other mmos but found in FFXIV can be blamed on one thing.
    PS3

• MattTheHGMattTheHG Member Posts: 30
    • Chat system
    • Battle system
    • Party gameplay
    • Crafting and gathering
    • Trading
    • Markets

Although they are not necessary in an MMO environment... they are necessary for MMO's to have in this day in age if they really want a game to last for 5+ years or so. And just because he adds elements of an MMO that are similar to a lot of MMO's out there doesn't mean he's not being innovative. If he could expand on any one of these simple concepts, such as Crafting/Gathering and make it more complex, amazing, and new then he can be innovative in that respect.

• ZenTaoYingYangZenTaoYingYang Member Posts: 354
    Originally posted by Mtibbs1989
    Originally posted by ZenTaoYingYang
    Originally posted by Mtibbs1989
    As much as I like to hear that Yoshida is a gamer (what game developer isn't one?) and it's always nice to see them trying to keep up with 2013 and what not. I'd like to hear about the future for the game. Sure, 2.0 isn't released yet. But I want to know and see what they're working on implementing into the game. I'd like to know that the subscription I'm paying for is going forward to furthering additional content for this game.

as far as the future goes, he clearly stated that since its p2p model, their only focus is to provide content consistently. Having said that , they already showed the content up to 2.3 which includes:

Housing System, Crystal tower (24 raid instance with levels), Bahamaut Lybranth (another 24 man raid). 3 way grand company PVP involving fort seiges and PVP zones.

and from experience , we will probably get a 2 year road map as they did with FFXI, that doesnt give much detail but only shows you that for example " we will get this expansion, this patch on that date and so on).

from my own point of view though, there are enough content as it is, I wish they focus polishing the game more then adding new content but thats just me

Saying it doesn't prove anything, a lot of developers say stuff to hype the customer up. Which has been a major concern for myself when I'm investing my money with a company.

Yoshida is not that type and he proved it. in 1.0 after it failed, he laid down a roadmap and did exactly everything he said he will do and have implemented it correctly. I really believe its not just talk and we will see everything done as he mentioned. dont forget that he is the developer AND producer at the same time, he approve his own budget lol.

• ZenTaoYingYangZenTaoYingYang Member Posts: 354
    Originally posted by neobahamut20

I actually commend him for it. He have always been frank and straightforward, as oppose to other developers who says their MMO will cater to all players and then deliver nothing, at least yoshida have always stuck by his words and have delivered every single promise he made.

I rather have a dev team that have clear objective, engaging with community and give you clear roadmap ahead, than dev teams that hypes over nothing, you never know what will happen the next day in game etc.

• Kuro1nKuro1n Member UncommonPosts: 775
    Originally posted by khameleon
    Originally posted by azzamasin
    Originally posted by khameleon

http://forum.square-enix.com/ARR-Test/threads/53673-Design-Concepts-for-FINAL-FANTASY-XIV-A-Realm-Reborn

CLICK THAT AND READ. Never seen a game producer for any MMO that understands what people feel and want in an MMORPG game more than Yoshi does in this letter.

He sees how hardcore players feel about things, how "noobs" see a game differently.

He is a gamer, he sees things through our eyes and understands what we like, don't like, why we get bored, what we feel when we try a game, how we feel after a month, etc.

After reading that, I feel like there is no way this game will fail and that it will get better and better with each patch as he adds more and more features that we want.

Disagree with him 100% on the getting to level cap part of the game.  I myself find myself having infinitely more fun leveling a character then grinding or doing whatever crap devs through at us at endgame.

If you look that part is meant for "the hardcore gamer" they want to experience endgame and pvp and dungeons and hate the leveling part. To me it is 100% accurate.

You just are not a hardcore MMORPG gamer, you enjoy the leveling and taking it slowly, etc. that is a casual approach to an MMORPG. He also talks about that as well.

You have this backward, it is casual to have things served to you without any work and hardcore with much work. Obviously.

Leveling is part of the race and competition although it has to be enjoyable. If everyone could start at maxlevel it wouldn't be much of a RPG, very little character progression and also would mean that everyone would reroll all the time, they wouldn't feel a connection to their character. Kinda the same as you dont feel connected to your character in a FPS but you do in a RPG if you worked hard on him.

• SenanSenan Member UncommonPosts: 788
    • Chat system
    • Battle system
    • Party gameplay
    • Crafting and gathering
    • Trading
    • Markets

A battle system isn't necessary? I'm hard pressed to think of more than a small handful of mmorpgs (and I use that word lightly) that don't have some form of combat in them, and even those aren't exactly front runners in the competition. The same goes for console RPGs. Even more so in regard to FF titles.

And not having a guild system, crafting & gathering, or trading either? What exactly would you propose would make a game without any of those elements actually worth playing? I'm not sure I understand your post correctly. Without any of those things, you'd be left with an mmo equivalent of something like Myst -- which I believe has already been tried, and understandably didn't work so well.

Heck,  the only popular online game I can think of without some of those more standardized elements would be Second Life, and even that game allows players the freedom to make the combat themselves, as well as building (or crafting...) anything they want. I think that's enough proof that most gamers are looking for more than just a glorified, 3D chatroom.

• Kuro1nKuro1n Member UncommonPosts: 775
    Originally posted by Seilan
    • Chat system
    • Battle system
    • Party gameplay
    • Crafting and gathering
    • Trading
    • Markets

A battle system isn't necessary? I'm hard pressed to think of more than a small handful of mmorpgs (and I use that word lightly) that don't have some form of combat in them, and even those aren't exactly front runners in the competition. The same goes for console RPGs. Even more so in regard to FF titles.

And not having a guild system, crafting & gathering, or trading either? What exactly would you propose would make a game without any of those elements actually worth playing? I'm not sure I understand your post correctly. Without any of those things, you'd be left with an mmo equivalent of something like Myst -- which I believe has already been tried, and understandably didn't work so well.

Heck,  the only popular online game I can think of without some of those more standardized elements would be Second Life, and even that game allows players the freedom to make the combat themselves, as well as building (or crafting...) anything they want. I think that's enough proof that most gamers are looking for more than just a glorified, 3D chatroom.

I agree with you, that sounds very very niche.

• tobywong420tobywong420 Member UncommonPosts: 49

This is an epic letter and the man may be the saviour of MMOs.   Time will tell.  As a hardcore, rank 1, server first player, these words are like butter served at a wedding to Paula Deen.  After playing this phase so far, just doing the first quests, getting a couple of upgrades randomly that actually made you feel like it was a single player RPG/FF game, eventually branching into group/mmo mode and doing dungeons/figuring stuff out, it's a fun experience and brings me back to EQ/Meridian59 days.  To hear that he has plans for making it even more fun for the type of player I am, after providing a very solid beginning experience, is just sugar on top.  

Two words : fucking finally.