Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn: First Impressions of ARR

Comments

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654
    Originally posted by Beastn

I tried this game out...but boy oh boy do you HAVE to be a fan of either the FF series or Asian art to even play this game!!

I know that's terrible that I can't play a game simply because I can't keep my avatar from looking like Justin Bieber or in one case a 3 year old little girl....But I can't...I tried, but I just can't..Shoot me but when I think of a mythical warrior, out in the wilds fighting monsters for days maybe even weeks on end, facing life or death on a daily bases....I don't think he would have the time to reapply his mascara in between fights with...well bunnies, sheep, and lady bugs apparently

There are many more 'manly' looking characters if that is what you are looking for, try the high lander or perhaps the Rog's.

I find a lot of people who don't normally like the 'asian' aesthetic enjoy this game, also I have two friends who've never even played a single Final Fantasy who pre ordered after last weekend.

So... I disagree.

• LacedOpiumLacedOpium Member EpicPosts: 2,327

I tried this game out...but boy oh boy do you HAVE to be a fan of either the FF series or Asian art to even play this game!!

I know that's terrible that I can't play a game simply because I can't keep my avatar from looking like Justin Bieber or in one case a 3 year old little girl....But I can't...I tried, but I just can't..Shoot me but when I think of a mythical warrior, out in the wilds fighting monsters for days maybe even weeks on end, facing life or death on a daily bases....I don't think he would have the time to reapply his mascara in between fights with...well bunnies, sheep, and lady bugs apparently

You seem to be of the opinion that these games are made for males only.  You fail to realize, or otherwise take into consideration, that these games are made for the entire population in mind and that there will be many females, young and old, that will be playing this game as well.  That is who those characters are meant to appeal to, not just your type Mister Manly Macho Man.  In other words, if you do not like those characters, don't play with them.  And while you are at it, create your own little linkshell and invite no one other than big burly macho men like yourself. 

Sorry for my rant, but this type of "self-righteous, it is all about me, I am higher than thou" attitude gets under my skin.  Try being a bit more open minded and tolerant of others and learn to appreciate diversity.  The world would be a much happier and better place for it.

• EtherignisEtherignis Member UncommonPosts: 249
    @wowclones ff franchise is establish and tera don't have a lot of clout like ff do.SE dont need investor too step up, SE is the biggest rpg company out there even NCsoft and Nexon don't come close too pulling in the amount of bread SE make. SE have a heart of gold too even revamp ffxiv into 2.0. SE could have gave gamers the middle finger and took all the money they made off of ffxiv 1.0 but they didn't. You won't find a lot of companies who make mmos do wat SE is doing. SE taking a big risk of a repeat like ffxiv 1.0 downfall maybe. I'm confident this game will be big; also ps3 owners will increase sales big time. Yoshi-p said 300k subs will keep this game afloat. And SE making ps4 version thats crazy.
  • VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350
    Originally posted by Grakulen
    @frealms. That should say subscription only. Many games have sub options. And yes there are a few fringe sub only games left but at this point, with all due respect to Mythic, do you consider WAR AAA? And in the West is FFXI really a major game any more? I'd say not really. Also games like EvE have plex so you can get around the sub there too. You may not agree with how I qualify that statement but I've done my homework.

@QSatu If you have 100 people in the same fate effects are going to add up. I'm comparing it to games like Rift where the particles got so out of control everything just looked like a big ball of sparkle ponies.

I have to disagree with you here. You have at least two major sub mmos, wow and eve. It doesn't matter that eve has plex and so it can be played, eventually, for free. It is still a subscription only game. That is, every account that is active is based off having active sub time left regardless who paid for it. Also, there is no realistic way to get into the game without paying a sub for at least a while. I have never heard of a person being able to produce the 500m isk needed for a plex in the first 21 days of trial time you can get without significant help from existing players.

All die, so die well.

• BeastnBeastn Member UncommonPosts: 111
    Originally posted by LacedOpium

You seem to be of the opinion that these games are made for males only.  You do realize that these games are made for the entire population in mind and that there will be many females, yound and old, that will be playing this game as well.  That is who those characters are meant to appeal to, not just your type Mister Manly Macho Man.  In other words, if you do not like those characters, don't play with them.  And while you are at it, create your own little linkshell and invite no one other than big burly macho men like yourself. 

Sorry for my rant, but this type of "self-righteous, it is all about me, I am higher than thou" attitude gets under my skin.  Try being a bit more open minded and tolerant of others and learn to appreciate diversity.  The world would be a much happier and better place for it.

Call me what you will....but there are No "manly macho" choices...period...They are all to "pretty" I don't care if there are options that appeal to girls, kids, and the like...but what about the rest of us? So What I like my warrior to be battle tested, hardened, scared, "ugly", mean, gritty....w/e you want to call it...WHERE'S MY OPTION?!?

Originally posted by Laughing-man

There are many more 'manly' looking characters if that is what you are looking for, try the high lander or perhaps the Rog's.

I find a lot of people who don't normally like the 'asian' aesthetic enjoy this game, also I have two friends who've never even played a single Final Fantasy who pre ordered after last weekend.

So... I disagree.

I'm glad your friends liked it. I did not. That is that. It is my opinion, and mine alone. And I tried to "man up" every race choice.....there isn't any

• netosampaionetosampaio Member UncommonPosts: 23
    I will definitely sub when this come out and i hope this never goes F2P, i am tired of those F2P garbage out there
  • nickster29nickster29 Member Posts: 486

You seem to be of the opinion that these games are made for males only.  You do realize that these games are made for the entire population in mind and that there will be many females, yound and old, that will be playing this game as well.  That is who those characters are meant to appeal to, not just your type Mister Manly Macho Man.  In other words, if you do not like those characters, don't play with them.  And while you are at it, create your own little linkshell and invite no one other than big burly macho men like yourself. 

Call me what you will....but there are No "manly macho" choices...period...They are all to "pretty" I don't care if there are options that appeal to girls, kids, and the like...but what about the rest of us? So What I like my warrior to be battle tested, hardened, scared, "ugly", mean, gritty....w/e you want to call it...WHERE'S MY OPTION?!?

You were just told in the post before.  When you are creating a Hume, pick the subrace "Highlander" or go Roegdaryn (not sure on spelling).  

• VonatarVonatar Member UncommonPosts: 723

P2P all the way. Had more than enough of F2P games with the seams showing due to low development budgets/corner cutting and an unashamed invitation to ditch it after 1-2 weeks when you're sick of it.

Great review, - probably one of the best I've read on mmorpg.com. A very good balance of appreciation, information and critique.

• MaquiameMaquiame Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

Then stop picking a pretty race and pick a Hyur Highlander. Each race has two versions. the Hyur Highlanders look exactly what you are looking for. They are gruff and quite weathered looking. Hell I'd pay you 100 dollars if you could make a pretty Highlander male.

This is my character

http://assets.enjin.com/wall_embed_images/1371360732_ffxiv_20130616_011842.png

If anyone is using the excuse that the only characters you can make are pretty ones then you are lying and have probably not played the game.

Hyur Highlanders, both Hellguard and Sea Wolf Roegadyns are both just as gruff  (and maybe even more) than most games of late. Hell you certainly  can't put scars on the face of your character in GW2 and in some ways the GW2 characters (especially human men) are prettier than the Highlanders and Roegadyns.

So are you saying you don't have GW2?

Any mmo worth its salt should be like a good prostitute when it comes to its game world- One hell of a faker, and a damn good shaker!

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    Originally posted by DMKano

I think that 2-3 months post launch it will be painfully obvious to Square Enix how P2P is not a good model in the western markets anymore. That is where you see significant sub dropoff at the end of there 2nd month, and then due to low influx of new players you are left in a tough position.

Decent game, but not strong enough to thrive as a P2P title in F2P market.

Just my opinion, it will be interesting to see how this goes.

Seeing as how Final Fantasy's fanbase is huge and ever growing I doubt they will have a problem. Plus this game is for all the subscribers for 1.0 that stuck with the game (like me, not to brag or anything). They aren't trying to get WoW subscriber numbers here. They will do perfectly fine just with the amount of players that were subscribing at 1.0. They'll obviously have more subscribers than that though as people who wouldn't subscribe for 1.0 because of all the problems it had are now willing to subscribe to 2.0.

So yeah, FFXIV is going to do just fine. I honestly don't want it to be F2P because as of now there is no cash shop in the game at all, which is very rare for MMORPGs (even MMORPGs with subscriptions).

Smile

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654
    Originally posted by nickster29

You were just told in the post before.  When you are creating a Hume, pick the subrace "Highlander" or go Roegdaryn (not sure on spelling).  

Taken from Zam  

That is an example of a highlander.  I guess he thinks that isn't manly enough?

source http://ffxiv.zam.com/wiki/Player_Races_(ffxiv)

• Kevyne-ShandrisKevyne-Shandris Member UncommonPosts: 2,077

Add me to the list of liking the subscription model. Having seen the other methods and the weird hurdles to jump through for them, it's just flat out nicer to have a set budget. If it wasn't for that set budget I wouldn't have bought more accounts for some of these games (and afford it, as F2P games nickel and dime you endlessly).

SHENANIGANS!

Highlanders and Roegadyn are harder looking than your GW2 character could ever be. You sir are lying

Here is mine Again

http://assets.enjin.com/wall_embed_images/1371360732_ffxiv_20130616_011842.png

A friend's highlander is on this site. see the pics by the guy named Gerik

http://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/showthread.php?tid=2162&highlight=show+off+your+characters

You ain't got to lie Craig! You ain't gotta lie!!

Any mmo worth its salt should be like a good prostitute when it comes to its game world- One hell of a faker, and a damn good shaker!

• VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350
    Originally posted by Grakulen
    Even if SE wins back all of the original people that played FFXIV for ARR can that really be considered a success? The answer is no...

Why?

I challenge your conclusion here. I think success will need to be measured based on their ongoing sub numbers. It is also clear from Yoshi-P's interview on this topic that they are taking a much more long term out look on this rather than going for a quick surge of cash. On that basis I think they can be successful with even with modest subscription numbers Square Enix is going for the long play here. They are looking at this well beyond even just this one game. Part of succeeding with FFXIV was that they needed to earn back the trust of their long term players and build a solid foundation for FF going into the future. This isn't a typical "squeeze an IP for its short term profitability, then throw it away and look for something else to exploit" type of scheme that is now so common in the game industry. Sure all these companies want to make money but not everyone is dumb enough to kill the goose to get there.

All die, so die well.

• DoomLordDoomLord Member UncommonPosts: 124

I have played loads of mmo's and none of the free to play ones are any good they eat money with micro pay crap.

yes you can play for free but thats only if you don't want all the content or you don't mind having a 2 hour old noob passing you in skill and level because they have spent $200 on game gold or some shit like that.

leave mmo's free with no micro or make them p2p micro pay is a con I don't care which mmo it is it's a con simple as that.

micro pay is like unlimited broadband with limited download's yes here you go whole game for you to play for free as long as you don't go in to this dungeon or start this quest or don't want to advance past level 20 so  make a stand and stop playing or at least stop paying for free mmo's it's free then it should be free not free with limits.

FREE means FREE

Leave FFXIV ARR  P2P

A 1.0 video of the Immortal Flames Grand Company Leader Raubahn Aldynn a Hyur Highlander making a speech.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_ybecVg3v8 

Thats got to be some kind of joke right?.....The guy has a scar on his face and that makes him "hard"....that pic you posted looks like Randy Orton before tattoos....Yeah that pretty boy is real "manly".....And I never said anything about GW2....although since you brought it up...The NORNS look way more manly then anything you can make in this game.

And yes I did play the game...although not for a long time, honestly I lost interest in the game really quickly no matter how hard my lil brother tried to convience me its "good"

Thats got to be some kind of joke right?.....The guy has a scar on his face and that makes him "hard"....that pic you posted looks like Randy Orton before tattoos....Yeah that pretty boy is real "manly".....And I never said anything about GW2....although since you brought it up...The NORNS look way more manly then anything you can make in this game.

And yes I did play the game...although not for a long time, honestly I lost interest in the game really quickly no matter how hard my lil brother tried to convience me its "good"

Show me then what you prefer. I'd like to see pics of your hard male characters

• ZizouXZizouX Member Posts: 670

Here's the full text of SE's reasoning why this is P2P.

Yoshi-P the man with the plan said.

There are many different types of MMOs. There are two big types or groups that we see. You have one group with games like your Rift or your Star Wars, which are very large-scale MMOs with established IP. Then you have your smaller MMOs, which are maybe new IPs that don’t need as big a user base to be successful. So we can start off with the big group, the large-scale MMO group, with your Rift, your Star Wars, your Guild Wars, your Age of Conan and The Lord of the Rings. These games all started out on a subscription model, or were planning for a subscription model when they were in development. Then, partway through, they switched to free-to-play.

Then again, you have games like Rift and Star Wars. Even though people have been saying that yes, there is this change in the market, everything’s moving to free-to-play, they still – up until recently – were developing a system that would be subscription-based. Even though everyone is saying the industry is going free-to-play, they still were developing these huge games with subscriptions in mind. Again, we’re not saying that one is better than the other, that free-to-play is better than subscription or subscription is better than free-to-play. But for a large game on that scale, what’s most important – more important than making a lot of money – is making a stable income, a stable amount of money over a long period of time. And so to develop a large-scale MMO like this, you need to spend a lot of time with a lot of resources and a lot of staff to make this game.

To do that, you need a lot of money, and to get a lot of money to do that, you usually need investors to invest in your game. Because you’ve spent a lot of money on getting this game ready and borrowed a lot of money from these investors, when you release the game, the investors expect to see returns. If your game gets a lot of users and a lot of subscriptions right away, your investors will be happy and you can pay them. But what happens if you don’t hit that number right away? You have a bunch of staff members waiting to get paid. You have a bunch of investors waiting to get paid. You have a bunch of contents that needs to get made because you have to have updates, but you can’t do it because you don’t have enough money, because you didn’t hit that number you were aiming for. And so what do you have to do? One option to get instant money is free-to-play, or selling these items. To get that money so you can pay off your staff, pay off your investors, and start making new content, switching to free-to-play, selling items, and using that money is one way to do it.

So why didn’t Rift or EA with Star Wars do this from the beginning? Why didn’t they start with free-to-play? There’s a reason behind that. With free-to-play, because you’re selling these items, you’ll have months where you sell a bunch of stuff and you make a lot of money in that one month. But it’s all about what happens during that month. Next month, the person who maybe bought $100 worth of items in the last month could purchase nothing at all. You don’t know what you’re going to be getting, and because you don’t know what you’re going to be getting, you can’t plan ahead. You don’t know how much money is coming in. If you can’t plan ahead, then you can’t keep staff, because you don’t know if you’ll have enough money to pay the staff next month.

With a subscription base, if you get maybe 400,000 members, you know that you’re going to have the money from that monthly subscription for the next month. You also know that you’re going to have 400,000 this month, and it’s not going to go down to 200,000 users next month. That type of jump really doesn’t happen with a subscription model. So you know that you’re going to have a steady income. Because you have a steady income, you can plan ahead further. You can make sure you have staff members to create that new content. By creating new content, you’re making the players happy. If they know this game is going to keep creating new content, they’ll continue to pay their monthly subscription fees. So rather than going for the huge $100-million-a-month hit that you might get with the free-to-play model, having that steady income allows us to provide a better product to the players.

Now, you have Blizzard and you have Square Enix. We’re the only two companies in the industry, basically, that are making MMOs with our own money. That gives us an advantage, because where other companies have to get money from investors and have to pay that back, we don’t have a lot of time to build slowly and be able to pay that back. Investors want their returns right away. With Square Enix and Blizzard, because we’re putting our own money into it, we don’t have those investors to worry about, and that means we can release something and maybe take a little bit of a hit at the beginning, but as long as we’re increasing the amount of people we have, then we’ll get that money and make the players happy. We’ll get into that cycle I talked about before, where we’re creating good content and have that steady income to keep the cycle going.

With version 1.0, even though we call it a failure, westill had a user base. During the time that we were developing this game, 2.0, we were able to increase the amount of subscribers threefold as well. Again, it takes time. It takes showing the users that we’re really into this and giving them that new content. But we’re able to see a rise there. That’s what we’re looking for in this. Again, we’re not saying—The market didn’t change. It’s that there are two different types of models. Choosing the model that’s right for your product and being successful with that is what’s important. We believe that the bigger the game, the larger the scale of the MMO, it’s going to be better for the game if it’s on a subscription model.

That’s why you see a lot of companies that chose the subscription model, that wanted to do what we were doing, but were forced to free-to-play. They didn’t go to free-to-play by choice, because if that was the case, they would have gone free-to-play at the beginning. They’d develop it for free-to-play, not full subscription, instead of being forced to go free-to-play. We hear a lot of people saying, “Star Wars is free-to-play now, it’s great!” But then you ask them if they’re playing free-to-play Star Wars and they say, “No, not really playing it.” Everyone talks about how great it is that it went free-to-play, but then you ask around and really, there aren’t that many people who are playing it since it’s gone free-to-play. If you spend all that money on a game ,release it, and it’s filled with bugs and you don’t have enough time to do your updates, people will leave. Players need that new content. Not being able to provide it is fatal. If they were able to produce as much content as players wanted, then people would have stayed there. We don’t really believe it’s a problem with the business model. It’s how that’s handled.

Read more at http://venturebeat.com/2013/06/17/final-fantasy-online-director-defends-monthly-subscriptions-in-the-golden-age-of-free-to-play-exclusive/#pm508Em2rgWy4ERI.99

• BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    I'm very stoked for this but very concerned about the pay model. For pc only people the pay model is fine. For console players though and hybrid console pc players, thier worlds are about to be flipped upside down when next gen releases. Console should expect to see a mass decline in population when next gen consoles hit.

Does anyone know what sub would is going to look like given you have a psnetwork sub active? I want ARR to be successful, im concerned with how the console culture will take it though. They are not used to selling a kidney or taking thier childrens college funds and spending it on virtual goods. On top of that, there is all kinds of goodness coming down the pipe. What does success look like for ARR 3 months of subs at or near peak numbers? Like I said I want it to succeed, but its stepping into a competitive market thats about to catch fire.

WTF you sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad people you are complaining that you are crap at making your characters look any good well that's not the game it's you sorry if you are not artistic but that's your fault not the game if you look into the amount of changes you can make you will find there are millions yes millions colour how tall build hair eyes tattoos scares and much much more so who is to blame a game that doesn't make every look the same or a game that lets you choose what you look like.

if you can't take 20 mins out to create what you want then that's your problem not the game.

I give you a care and you can't drive it is it the cars fault no it's yours so stop being a pleb and get over your self most likely a Xbox one fan hating the fact it may never come out on the 1980's VCR looking piece of crap.

have PS3 and pc beta and tbh theres not that much difference other than being a mainly pc gamer I find my self putting the keyboard in and mouse.

if you don't like the game don't waste your time posting... wait trolls forgot there intelligence is below that of an XBOX fanboy/girl.

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,795

There is 1 thing I don't understand. Why people assume that just b/c FFXI never went f2p that 14 won't either. This doesn't make any sense tbh. Ff XIV is a new game and they have different expectations. 11 already earned them a lot of money and changing it's business model would be both costly and risky b/c the hardcore playerbase would leave and at the same time not that many new players are willing to give such old games a try. this is the main reason why some of the very old mmos are still p2p. It's simply not worth investing into them. I can assure you that if FF XIV would become a disaster and it would drop to 150k or less subs within a year Square will find a way to get their investment back. Whether that would be f2p, b2p or sub+cash shop wouldn't depend on what they did with FF XI.

Just like whether gW2 stay b2p doesn't depend on business model of GW1.

• BrialynBrialyn Member Posts: 184

I can't help but HOPE that this game shows the sub model is still viable.  I loathe the F2P model, it just feels so used car salesmen like.  Want an extra bag? Got the game currency to buy one?  Great! Pay us real money first so you can buy an extra bag slot. Oh and btw we're going to sell our gems, zen, cartel credits, coins,  insert name here, in sums where you will never be able to zero out.  You'll always have some left over and it will always be close to the price of something.  Just uhg.  I understand some games aren't this bad, Tera, makes their F2P more palatable. The majority though....not so much. 

B2P like Guild Wars was one thing, for the most part the things they sell are cosmetic or ways to level quicker. Nothing in it is an unlock to features of the game. 

I can't really explain why I'm happy to give 15 bucks a month for a sub but spending the same amount of money a month in a F2P game makes me cringe.  As long as I'm getting patches with a fair amount of content I'd rather pay a sub for a good game. 

Currently Playing: FFXIV:ARR
    Looking Forward to: Wildstar
    Originally posted by Brialyn

I can't help but HOPE that this game shows the sub model is still viable.  I loathe the F2P model, it just feels so used car salesmen like.  Want an extra bag? Got the game currency to buy one?  Great! Pay us real money first so you can buy an extra bag slot. Oh and btw we're going to sell our gems, zen, cartel credits, coins,  insert name here, in sums where you will never be able to zero out.  You'll always have some left over and it will always be close to the price of something.  Just uhg.  I understand some games aren't this bad, Tera, makes their F2P more palatable. The majority though....not so much. 

B2P like Guild Wars was one thing, for the most part the things they sell are cosmetic or ways to level quicker. Nothing in it is an unlock to features of the game. 

I can't really explain why I'm happy to give 15 bucks a month for a sub but spending the same amount of money a month in a F2P game makes me cringe.  As long as I'm getting patches with a fair amount of content I'd rather pay a sub for a good game. 

AGREED