Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn: First Impressions of ARR

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Now that the NDA has lifted somewhat, we can finally begin to talk about the resurrection of Square Enix's Final Fantasy XIV. Is it really "A Realm Reborn"? Find out what our first thoughts are an dthen let us know what you think in the comments.

Two and a half years after the fiasco that was the FFXIV 1.0 launch we find ourselves in the midst of a Final Fantasy resurgence.  What was once largely considered to have turned into vaporware, Final Fantasy XIII versus, has been rebranded and thrown into the media spotlight as FF XV. Final Fantasy X and X-2 have had a HD makeover and were met with great fanfare at E3.  Square Enix has even announced that the fan favorite Kingdom Hearts is going to receive another original entry to the main series. With buses, bus stops, hotel room keys, and elevator doors all over LA pasted with FFXIV: A Realm Reborn artwork Square Enix was determined to get the message out. Final Fantasy is back, and it’s going to be good again. 

Read more of Rob Lashley's Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn First Impressions.

Leonardo is all grown up.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

you didnt really talk abt the uie.

dose it feel like you traditional mmo? or console feel like it did the first time around?

also feel with TERA f2p model, FF14 dosent look too bright.

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    Since it  most likely will start off as a sub game, I doubt I will be playing.  If it becomes f2p I'll probably give it a try.
  • GrakulenGrakulen Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 894
    Per the NDA I wasnt really allowed to talk about the UI. Sorry. I can tell you that it is much better.
  • WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

I welcome p2p.  I usually drop f2p games within 2 weeks due to their shallow nature.  There is an obvious disconnect in quality that P2P games are able to deliver.  I love the quote "all customers should be equal" and in P2P games this is true. In F2P games you have your free riders moaning about what they can and cant do, you have the special snowflakes who spend their wage packet on everything they can get their hands on and you have the half flakes who think they get a good game for their subscription or regular payments.

In truth nobody wins in the F2P scenario as content is usually lacking or is kerching gated.  B2P can work, done right but I am already seeing a steady stream of friends leave GW2 due to a lack of serious updates.  They seem to have gone for dragon punch bags and silly fluff.

This game comes from Japan, while I am sure it will be successful here, their home market will be what provides them with their bulk income.  Moaning here about P2P and F2P is irrelevant. Especially since those who are their fans and dearly like FFX, they are happy to pay the price asked. I know I am.

Robert, nicely written article, you obviously enjoy playing the game but are able to look at it critically.

• gauthimusgauthimus Member Posts: 6

i am really tired of people crying about f2p  honestly how do you expect devs to develop new material ?? hopes and dreams?  Every f2p model has brought serious detraction to the game quality.  If there is no money to develop then the game will die in 6 months like some typical xbox or ps game. B2p with subscription options do seem the best way to the future.  Perhaps even smaller fee for sub

i personally hate cash shop games that are buy to win and that is exactly what F2P forces.. I for one will always suport subs.

Originally posted by Wicoa

I welcome p2p.  I usually drop f2p games within 2 weeks due to their shallow nature.  There is an obvious disconnect in quality that P2P games are able to deliver.  I love the quote "all customers should be equal" and in P2P games this is true. In F2P games you have your free riders moaning about what they can and cant do, you have the special snowflakes who spend their wage packet on everything they can get their hands on and you have the half flakes who think they get a good game for their subscription or regular payments.

In truth nobody wins in the F2P scenario as content is usually lacking or is kerching gated.  B2P can work, done right but I am already seeing a steady stream of friends leave GW2 due to a lack of serious updates.  They seem to have gone for dragon punch bags and silly fluff.

This game comes from Japan, while I am sure it will be successful here, their home market will be what provides them with their bulk income.  Moaning here about P2P and F2P is irrelevant. Especially since those who are their fans and dearly like FFX, they are happy to pay the price asked. I know I am.

Robert, nicely written article, you obviously enjoy playing the game but are able to look at it critically.

booo you beat me too it

• WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637
    Originally posted by gauthimus
    Originally posted by Wicoa

booo you beat me too it

Yes but yours had more gritty anger! Im like the tank your like the melee dps now all we need is a magic (rdps) and a cleric (healing spec)!

• mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,625
    really want to play this game - cant even pay to get in beta it seems =[

i wonder how that would even develop in an argument .......

would the RDPS through more wit and forcite?

while the clreic  trys to heals the heart of the scorned Subscription playwer who said he is tired of P2p that does not deliver

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

"If you are five levels over the active FATE you can kickdown to match the level. If you choose to match the level of the FATE you will be rewarded with experience and money that is commensurate with the true level of your active job. You can also choose not to down level and over power the content. It is nice to run around and one shot mobs from time to time and really feel how powerful your character has become as opposed to how your character started off. Automatically down ranking characters would never allow for this."

Great, just great. Let's give people the option of griefing lower level zones and players out of their content and see if they use it. What could possibly go wrong?

Oderint, dum metuant.

• Moxom914Moxom914 Member RarePosts: 731
    I also support sub based games. as posted earlier f2p games just don't have enough to keep people playing. games do feel shallow. I was hoping ffarr would be sub based. im also hoping the same goes for wildstar.
    Originally posted by mcrippins

I would put money on open betta in a few weeks ;)

• wowcloneswowclones Member Posts: 127
    Originally posted by DMKano

I think that 2-3 months post launch it will be painfully obvious to Square Enix how P2P is not a good model in the western markets anymore. That is where you see significant sub dropoff at the end of there 2nd month, and then due to low influx of new players you are left in a tough position.

Decent game, but not strong enough to thrive as a P2P title in F2P market.

Just my opinion, it will be interesting to see how this goes.

Couldn't have said it better. If people are able to max level before the 30 days of free play, this game is doomed. Going to be interesting to see a AAA title try subscription again. I am sure they already have the future plan laid out to go F2P when subs get low and box sales dry up.

• EtherignisEtherignis Member UncommonPosts: 249
    I hope this game stay p2p and keep the f2p garbage away from this game.
  • Moxom914Moxom914 Member RarePosts: 731

Originally posted by Etherignis

+10000000

• GormokGormok Member Posts: 379

I agree with every word that Wicoa typed. I would rather pay a sub and get a good quality game without restrictions. F2P is just a way to nickle and dime players as others have stated before me. Let's take SWTOR as an example, instead of giving meaningful content updates each month. They are always upgrading that dam Cartel Market, which is what a lot of f2p titles do. When they did do a major update they called it an expansion, just because they increased the lvl cap.

On top of that they charged both the subscribers and the free players, the western f2p model is a real scam and money grab. It boggles my mind that people are willing to throw away 100s even thousands of dollars on these games. A sub based game will only run you $180 a year plus the box cost. Were as a f2p game can get up into the thousands of dollars mark before the half a year period. With those numbers I would rather pay a sub any day of the week.

Another problem with western mmo companies, is that they try to cater to everybody instead of trying to find a key demographic to cater to. Or they get hellbent on having a million or two million subs. The market is to saturated to think like that, focus on 300k to 500k and than work from there. It worked in the past when the market wasn't over bloated with mmos, and I am sure it can work today.

• wowcloneswowclones Member Posts: 127

Not always possible, do you think Rift and Tera went F2P because they wanted too? They had no choice, either that or shutdown the game. I'd rather see a game go f2p than shutdown.

• danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    Why do we need to rehash the same shit over every day.  The game will not become F2P.  Yoshi already said the game will close down before it goes F2P.  They also do not have investors and is the reason why they dont ever need to go F2P.  I am getting tired of the disrespect all you F2P people continue to show.  Everyday another new Topic on how FFXIV will fail and go F2P.  dont you people get it, F2P is more expensive than $140 sub for a year.  FFXIV will be fine as a P2P game.  F2P will soon be just a fad that causes games to fail.  The end.
  • danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    Originally posted by wowclones

Not always possible, do you think Rift and Tera went F2P because they wanted too? They had no choice, either that or shutdown the game. I'd rather see a game go f2p than shutdown.

No a game should shut down rather than go F2P.  F2P gams have no quality to them just nickle and dime you for in game stuff that should be free with a subscription period.  We have too many MMOs as it is and games need to start shutting down.  

• GrintchGrintch Member UncommonPosts: 132
    After being extremely disappointed in the first iteration of the game, I wasn't expecting much for this one. Now, after playing the last 2 beta weekends, I can say I was surprised at how good this game is. I will definitely subscribe when it releases.
  • AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299
    Never played a Final Fantasy game till this ones last few beta weekends, still up in the air if I'm going to get this or not. Unless theres an announcement of some type of pvp that's not the normal bg's and arena's I'll probably be giving this a pass.
    Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
  • IllunariIllunari Member UncommonPosts: 14

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

• RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283
    Originally posted by mcrippins

theres been a few post about key giveaways But hole on give this a try ill pm you my extra code and ps3 code But you have to use an EU account

• GrakulenGrakulen Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 894
    @wicoa and @Gauthimus Thanks for the compliment.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,892

Spell effects and animations are present but are not over the top. You can still see what is going on in a battle.

Really? Because I was in a Fate where I had absolutely no idea what I was attacking. I kept trying to move the camera in and out in order to get a different perspective. One minute I see the fate activate, I see players swarm on "something" I join and spam my attacks on "something obscured by a light show". Only after the fate was over did I realize it was some "character boss".

As far as the p2p, Final Fantasy Fans who are attracted to this game aren't going to have a problem with it. As long as Square Enix is fine with a smaller showing for Western Players the game should be fine.

I'm pretty sick of constantly being advertised stuff to buy in f2p games. It feels tacky.

"Buy this and get a free that", "This week only special on buffs", "buy game points and get an additional 25% more game points".

"you've earned a measly 5 points would you like to go to the in game store!?!?!"

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo