Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Poll: Combat style you wish to see in EQN?

azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

OMG look it's a non PvP versus PvE thread.  The horror of it all.  LOL I digress.  Anyways I think we can all safely agree that EQN will feature combat so....

....What type of Combat system do wish to see in EQN?  Now I know the poll is not inclusive of all designs and I only included the systems I am accustomed too or know about.  If there is some other type, I gave the option for other and I would like to hear about it.  I also did not elaborate in great detail on the poll responses because the list would of been a half mile long so please feel free to add your input of things such as Ability Queuing, Global Cooldown, Cooldown's versus Resource Base and Animation Cancellation.

Personally I prefer the more action type of combat, where mouse moves your point of view, but I'm not a fan of having an immersion breaking reticule to show your P.O.V.  I also do not particularly care for mindless numbers of hotbar's.  I prefer a more "deck" building approach with limited hotbar real estate.  I also am not a fan of ability queuing, nor am I a fan of the use of a global cooldown.

If the game was being designed for me it would feature the following:

1. Action based reticule style combat (without the reticule since I think its fairly easy to know where your facing thanks to where your face is)
  2. No ability queuing what so ever.  Each key press must be in real time use.  This was my biggest turn off from TSW's combat.
  3. No Global Cooldown's
  4. Animation cancellation to better give real pin point control to what you want to use at any particular time.  This is undeniably one of WoW's greatest features as far as combat animations are concerned. being forced to continue with an animation before you can fire off another skill is grounds for unresponsive combat IMO.
  5. Resource based with no cooldown's on abilities.  But game changing abilities such as long duration CC effects cost an extreme amount of resources.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

Comments

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466

Tab targetting with "unlimited" hotbar support (WoW/EQ) - 57.1%

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Action combat gives me headaches and carpal tunnel syndrome.  I will always opt for slower paced combat for those reasons as well as my preference for the importance of character stats over twitch and my preference to play my avatar, not my reflexes.

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578
    a hybrid type of combat (action/tab target)
  • AceshighhhhAceshighhhh Member Posts: 185
    Originally posted by Vorthanion
    Action combat gives me headaches and carpal tunnel syndrome.  I will always opt for slower paced combat for those reasons as well as my preference for the importance of character stats over twitch and my preference to play my avatar, not my reflexes.

I feel the same can be said with Tab-target combat - as managing 20-30 skills filling up your UI and just managing cooldowns and rotations can cause me headaches. 

I prefer to rely on my skill rather than random numbers and dice rolls.

• Trudge34Trudge34 Member UncommonPosts: 392

I'd prefer the combat take a back seat in favor of the rest of the game basically. I'd like a slower paced, more tactical combat without 70 skills on 7 hotbars to juggle. I liked EQ1 combat as a tank, more about positioning, controlling aggro, adds and push than button mashing. I don't think I've seen an MMO still that's had that push mechanic you had to watch out for or you'd push it right into another patch of mobs.

Just something where I don't feel like I'd die if I need to type a quick instruction to my group.

Played: EQ1 (10 Years), Guild Wars, Rift, TERA
    Tried: EQ2, Vanguard, Lord of the Rings Online, Dungeons and Dragons Online, Runes of Magic and countless others...
    Currently Playing: GW2

Nytlok Sylas
    80 Sylvari Ranger

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536

After playing EQ since 1999 off and on (mostly on), playing games like Tera, Wushu and NW2 just makes the old combat systems look like trash.

Anyone who hasn't played a few of those games with action combat needs to see what its like, because its like comparing a horse and cart to an automobile.  

I also like the fact that these games are starting to limited the amount of abilities you will use at any one time, so you don't need 6-8 hotbars.  I'm not sure if thats what you meant by limited hotbar support, but I find combat like AoW and NW2 to be far more fun and the combat to be much more compelling and entertaining.

My choice would be combat like Chivalry: Medieval Warfare or Darkfall.  Action combat is a step in the right direction, even if we don't yet aim at our targets.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Originally posted by Aceshighhhh

I feel the same can be said with Tab-target combat - as managing 20-30 skills filling up your UI and just managing cooldowns and rotations can cause me headaches. 

I'm sorry that my play style seems to offend your sensibilities.  I was merely responding to the poll and stating my reason.  I fail to see how it would come across as a challenge to your preference.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

I'm sorry that my play style seems to offend your sensibilities.  I was merely responding to the poll and stating my reason.  I fail to see how it would come across as a challenge to your preference.

Lets not derail this poll but your right, it is your opinion and your preference even if some of us disagree with it.

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• KatlaOdindottirKatlaOdindottir Member Posts: 144
    Some kind of aim based combat.

www.daneslaw.com

@GamerKurisu

Awaiting Darkfall Unholy Wars

• nennafirnennafir Member UncommonPosts: 313

My vote:  Action Combat with "unlimited" hotbar support

I feel something like this is needed if they really want to make things more interesting.  I am really sick of tab target games.  They can be fun while you plan out builds, etc., but the gameplay is inevitably just so much whack-a-mole with 1,2,3,4, etc on the keyboard that it gets boring.

Even better:  Add a fighting game like interface.

• FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398
    Anything but tab-target will do just fine with me.
    http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • AceshighhhhAceshighhhh Member Posts: 185

Sorry, just giving my personal opinion on the matter, just as your post.

It was more of my personal rebuttal toward your seemingly negative attitude toward action-combat.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by DMKano

Fighting game style combat with deep interrupt/break system and team based combos.

Hey one can dream right?

That would be my dream combat system in a MMO - hasn't been done yet, and I know that EQN won't have it - but hey it's a poll so why not?

In reality I'd love to see an aim-based system that is takes away HP bars and Health pools - something based on hit boxes and internal dmg to systems like in real life.

I mean when you punch somebody in RL there's no 100dmg floating above their head - the entire "single HP pool"  based system that ALL MMOs use is something that I'd like to see done away with, and replaced with "tissue/muscle/bone/limb/body part/ concussion" dmg system - nobody has done this yet.

That actually sounds pretty damn interesting, would love to see how it would work.

I've always wondered why a game doesn't try the realistic approach, where combat may take a few minutes and minor wonds may be inflicted but the most serious wounds would auto kill you.  The trick is to institute more defenses , counter moves, parrys and ripostes to the repertoire then the actual combat moves themselves.

• chakalakachakalaka Member UncommonPosts: 291
    Action style combat with "limited" skills and/or resources. I chose this because I also just love more and more the "deck" system and trying to come up with builds. I spent a lot of time in GW1 just familiarizing myself with skills and effects and it was the most fun I've ever had in an mmo. I agree about the animations concept as waiting on an animation does make things stale and unwarranted. Anyways, nice post hope the combat is at least creative.
  • nothuman24nothuman24 Member Posts: 36

-Strategy>reflex speed with minimal skill selection. Dont need 100 skills and 6 hotbars.... I enjoy exercising my frontal lobe thx.

-No global cooldowns.....

-1 skill que. With restriction to needing the skill off cool-down within very - very short time restriction.

-Paper rock scissors balance (granted there is pvp) > Heavy class/skill diversity > Heavily party dependent.

-Well thought out selection of situational skills.

-Not action based (gessing thats where you dont need target selected). No tab targeting either. Mouse targetting plz.

-None of the "can set party members and mobs to hot keys for easy targetting" stuff.

-Would like to have the option to play with both wasd and c2m at same time.

-Move to target when using skill on mob out of range option.

-F key hotkeys>number keys.

Cant think of anything else right now.

• Homura235Homura235 Member UncommonPosts: 167
    Well, of all the MMOs I've played, I really enjoy GW2's combat mechanics the best. WoW-style hotbars with a ridiculous amount of choices is old-hat now. I like Tera's action-style movement, but they have too many abilities (I had to buy a 20-button mouse just to play it). And Neverwinter's combat is just a bad version of GW2's. I mean, when you dodge your avatar just "moves" back. There isn't even a roll graphic. Fail. I do like Neverwinter's use of the Q, E, and R button though. At first I didn't like the transition to action combat, but now I realize that I was never watching my character or mobs when I was fighting, but only staring at the bottom of my screen, watching for my next ability to cool down. 
  • Imperator101Imperator101 Member Posts: 131

I don't wanna see the same old MMORPG typical combat that we see in WoW, EQ already, why the hell do people want that crap again? Its not even skill based.

I think the combat should be sort of similar to skyrim but tweaked more to make it skill based. Shooting spells should be like an fps and melee combat would have controls for block and their would be a variety of sword attacks, melee combat could be sort of similar to Chilvary Medieval Warfare. There should also be an optional first person view, combat like this would be very intense and more immersive than any mmo out today.

• BaratukBaratuk Member UncommonPosts: 27
    I am a big fan of the combat system from Age of Conan.
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Exactly my thoughts on the matter. I tire quickly when I play action combat games, and end up logging out sooner than if they had a tab target system in place.

Also, tab targeting like in old EQ was not insta-hit like in the action combat games. A character could NOT hit a target behind them. You at least had to face the right way.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030
    I'm one of those that don't care.I just want the combat well animated,flowing,interesting,tactical and fun.You can achieve that in any of the systems mentioned.
  • pfcgriffpfcgriff Member Posts: 26

The action combat is a gimmick at best. There is no more interaction between left clicking a thousand times or pressing 1 a thousand times.  Cast on the fly for most spells and abilities is a must though. Some spells should require stability though like calling down an Ice Comet might take some concentration but a basic fireball could be whipped around while moving.

I would like to see the weapon arc effect from games like Tera though. Where if you are swinging a two-hander everything in its path takes damage. 

• DominionlordDominionlord Member UncommonPosts: 180
    something along the lines of a rotating skill deck, like what TCOS had. may be in the minority lol.
  • thedood123thedood123 Member UncommonPosts: 150
    Its going to be on PS4 most likely (like 80 percent chance imo) so expect a limited actionbar and probably action combat
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    I don't really care, as long as it has a high skill cap, and smooth.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    Originally posted by pfcgriff

The action combat is a gimmick at best. There is no more interaction between left clicking a thousand times or pressing 1 a thousand times.  Cast on the fly for most spells and abilities is a must though. Some spells should require stability though like calling down an Ice Comet might take some concentration but a basic fireball could be whipped around while moving.

I would like to see the weapon arc effect from games like Tera though. Where if you are swinging a two-hander everything in its path takes damage. 

Its not about what you press to execute an attack, its about how much you actually have to aim and position your character to execute said attacks.

A system lacking any kind of aim and positioning is a step in the wrong direction.