Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Smedley: "You have no idea just how far we are going to make [factions] important..."

Comments

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    Originally posted by Aelious
    Kellian1

I agree it's an info cross meaning sludge-fest right now lol. Even if Smed had planned to reveal more now I wouldn't if I was him. This mess has riveted people more than they could have dreamed so far :)

He should have been doing this sooner lol

This mess? this game has got hyped through the roof..it's genius marketing by soe. Look at the number of posts and comments in the last few weeks. Hardly any other mmo is being talked about... Bravo i say Bravo!

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by kellian1
    Originally posted by DavisFlight
    Originally posted by Drakynn
    Originally posted by jdnyc

Not even a small stretch, especially when Smed has already mentioned there would be PvP in this game and sandbox elements.

He said he agrees wholeheartedly that sandbox games need open world pvp with real risk/rewards.

According to some people that doesn't mean EQ Next, even though EQ Next will be a sandbox.

Come August 2nd we'll find out for sure and see a whole new crop of threads pop up.  Boy those are going to be fun read and taste the tears.

It may or may nto apply to EQN,it may just be Smeds personal taste and not the direction the game is taking.

The director of an entire game company, who has been almost exclusively using his twitter to drop hints about EQnext, would not talk about personal taste, because any sane person would realize that everyone hanging on his world will assume he's talking about EQNext.

I know there's a lot of confused and scared people who don't understand PvP, but attacking the OP for connecting the very close together dots is not the way to do this.

Really? Connecting the dots that weren't there in this case? You can't be serious...

So you think a game director, making a sandbox, with supposed risk vs reward PvP elements, talks about expanding factions, factions which are already heavy PvP leaning... that there aren't dots there? Wow.

I'm not saying it's true, I'm saying that acting like it isn't even possible is just insane.

• fyerwallfyerwall Member UncommonPosts: 3,240

Not even a small stretch, especially when Smed has already mentioned there would be PvP in this game and sandbox elements.

He said he agrees wholeheartedly that sandbox games need open world pvp with real risk/rewards.

According to some people that doesn't mean EQ Next, even though EQ Next will be a sandbox.

Come August 2nd we'll find out for sure and see a whole new crop of threads pop up.  Boy those are going to be fun read and taste the tears.

It may or may nto apply to EQN,it may just be Smeds personal taste and not the direction the game is taking.

The director of an entire game company, who has been almost exclusively using his twitter to drop hints about EQnext, would not talk about personal taste, because any sane person would realize that everyone hanging on his world will assume he's talking about EQNext.

I know there's a lot of confused and scared people who don't understand PvP, but attacking the OP for connecting the very close together dots is not the way to do this.

Really? Connecting the dots that weren't there in this case? You can't be serious...

So you think a game director, making a sandbox, with supposed risk vs reward PvP elements, talks about expanding factions, factions which are already heavy PvP leaning... that there aren't dots there? Wow.

When some of those dots are vague responses to a statement, then yes. "I wholeheartedly agree" could once again mean that he agrees with that statement, but no where does it state it will/won't be in the game or that it is a feature. Dave's on response to the same statement "hehe. If you think that's an announcement of a feature, then enjoy it. (I don't. :)" read like a "Don't get your hopes up". Funnily enough, people gloss over or flat out ignore that one...

And remember, just because you connected the dots a certain way doesn't mean the picture will come out correct. We will all just have to wait and see.

There are 3 types of people in the world.
    1.) Those who make things happen
    2.) Those who watch things happen
    3.) And those who wonder "What the %#*& just happened?!"

• ice-vortexice-vortex Member UncommonPosts: 960
    Originally posted by Aelious
    Well he actually said "biggest sandbox-style" MMO we've ever seen. That "-style" portion is pretty important since he later says that both dev content and player content are needed to keep up with content demand.

"There are times you know something and you're bursting to talk about it - and that is the case here," he says. "We're betting the company's future on this game. ... The last EverQuest game launched in 2005. We've blown up two design ideas over the last four years because they were too 'me too.' It wasn't enough of a change. We settled on a design that, when we looked at it, everyone in the room thought we were crazy. We gave it a week and came back, and we all said 'yeah, we're still crazy, but we can't get the idea out of our heads. ... It's going to be the world's largest sandbox game."

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/184805/MMO_devs_will_lose_the_fight_against_content_churn_says_SOEs_Smedley.php#.UQEy9Sf7J8E

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    Originally posted by SavageHorizon
    Originally posted by Bidwood

I'm excited about this because of the potential for PVP.

Right...he's replying to a man who said he and his daughter played EQ and enjoyed the factions and wanted to know about EQnext, and you take out of it some sort of PvP context? WOW

I agree, i think the people who didn't play EQ don't understand how faction worked in a PVE context lol.

Even learning another races language, it had nothing to do with PVP.

How it worked http://articles.eqresource.com/factionexplained.php

^this.

context is everything.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• kellian1kellian1 Member UncommonPosts: 237

I'm not saying it's true, I'm saying that acting like it isn't even possible is just insane.

Lets rewind shall we here is the full conversation...

@J_Smedley My daughter and me played EQ together in the beginning. We are both looking forward to this game.Please make factions important.

mhoward48 you have no idea just how far we are going to make them important. Oh yeah. You will both be very happy.

That is the entire context of the conversation...and somehow people infer that it has something to do with PvP? Again, you MUST be kidding.

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    Ice-Vortex

He did say "sandbox-style" at Live last year. So he strait up said "sandbox" but that doesn't discount his other comments you yourself quoted about needing both dev and player content.

@J_Smedley My daughter and me played EQ together in the beginning. We are both looking forward to this game.Please make factions important.

mhoward48 you have no idea just how far we are going to make them important. Oh yeah. You will both be very happy.

That is the entire context of the conversation...and somehow people infer that it has something to do with PvP? Again, you MUST be kidding.

Not at all. Expanding the faction system, which already had heavy PvP features in many servers in previous games, can very easily have something to do with PvP.

You are the one that I HOPE is trolling.

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    Nero

I agree and say mess because of all the angles people are taking off comments that have very little concrete info lol. I bet SoE are loving this :)
  • kellian1kellian1 Member UncommonPosts: 237

Not at all. Expanding the faction system, which already had heavy PvP features in many servers in previous games, can very easily have something to do with PvP.

Where in the question or answer was PvP mentioned or inferred? For you to come to that conclusion you would have to know EXACTLY what this father and daughter did when they played EQ to have some background for the question...which we don't have in anyway shape or form.

You can't just read something than MAKE STUFF UP after reading it that isn't there are even hinted at...the English language, as I hope you know, doesn't work that way.

Where in the question or answer was PvP mentioned or inferred? You can't just read something than MAKE STUFF UP after reading it that isn't there are even hinted at...the English language, as I hope you know, doesn't work that way.

Jesus christ. The original post, the very first post in this clusterf of a thread, was "potential for PvP". No one claimed that, oh, fo sure he was talking about PvP!

We're all saying IT'S A POSSIBILITY. And WHY do we think that? Because the faction system in EQ1 already lent itself heavily to PvP, and was an outright PvP system in many of the servers. EXPANDING it makes the OP excited for the POTENTIAL PVP.

My fucking god. /Thread. Can we end now?

• William12William12 Member Posts: 680
    You guys ever thinks his definition of a sandbox is not the same as yours ?   In fact i bet if you asked 500 people on this site what a sandbox MMO is we would get 500 different answers.  Just saying.
  • hMJemhMJem Member Posts: 465

Dave Georgeson @ PAX East

"But is it a risk to make an MMO that's so different from what players are familiar with? Georgeson acknowledges that it's a risk, but he's very confident that his team is on the right track. He said that the unfamiliar is going to be OK because the ideas are so cool that players will want to stick around to find out about them. At the same time, SOE is trying to make the game more intuitive. The longer a game's out, the harder it is for new players to jump into the game easily. With EQ Next, SOE is making sure to take care of accessibility now, not later.

When we spoke about the franchise as a whole, Georgeson reminded me that both EQ and EQII have been around for 14 and nine years respectively, and as far as he's concerned, there's no reason to ever turn the games off. He's not worried about EQ Next cannibalizing the two titles because it's such a different game from its siblings and because the fans are so loyal to their respective games. Both communities have developed deep, familial relationships with SOE over the years, and he expects that to continue for many years to come."

• AntiquatedAntiquated Member RarePosts: 1,415

At Crazzzzzy Smed's Used Gaaaaaame Shop!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evHTbyLKiWE

We got beans!

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415

I too find it unlikely that there will be no open world PvP...I just find it unlikely to it will be the forced non consensual type that others are proposing it is and can only be.I personally like how War Online handled open World PvP on PvE servers and had it woven into the game and lore.It's one of the things the game got right.This sort of thing could be used in a Sandbox game too and in fact could be determined by player actions as to where these zones are at any time.That would be kind of awesome.

I'm with ya.  Thing that gets me is the guy keeps talking about EVE.  

Here's him talking about it:

"My Eve experiences have been some of the most amazing of my gaming life. I am a true PVP'er at heart and I'm not a big fan of rules. Eve provides the perfect environment for a person like me. I created my character with Piracy in mind and after paying a few ransoms in my newbie life I realized that's harder than it looks. I began playing a few years ago. I tried 6 times to get into Eve and on the 7th it took. And I credit Eve University with that. As soon as I got in there things just clicked. The most problematic aspect of Eve Gameplay at the moment - honestly I'd have a hard time pinning it down. 6 months ago I would have said the newbie experience but they are working hard to improve it."

Here's the link:

http://themittani.com/features/mittani-interviews-soe-ceo-john-smedley

(I know.  It's from themittani)

Part of EVE's charm is a single server - so that has me wondering on that front.  Therefore; a lot of the guessing stuff is based on that train of thought as a possibility.  I just have a hard time believing that none of this guy's philosophy is going to make it into EQ Next.  

Obviously none of us know any real details for sure and certainly not about implementation.

That interview was from 09/2012.  That was almost a year ago. Well before they announced they had scrapped the previous plans.  Anything in that interview is irrelevent to the discussion at hand.  Outside of it just being him saying he personally enjoys eve and pvp.  A smart businessman doesnt just slap his personal preferences into everything he does.

Edit: Not only that, but that entire interview was surrounding PS2.  Which would make logical sense for him to put the PVP ideals he loves so much into their new PVP game, PS2.

Now, i'm not saying EQN wont have PVP, it will, but i believe they will do it similar to EQ1 in so much as you will have PVP servers.

All the people who think it will be a main focal point of the game i think are going to be in for a rude surprise.  SOE is not going to alienate 90% or better of the EverQuest IP fanbase by making an EQ game PVP centric.  Ain't gonna happen.  And if it does its going to fail. Period.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Originally posted by fyerwall

When some of those dots are vague responses to a statement, then yes. "I wholeheartedly agree" could once again mean that he agrees with that statement, but no where does it state it will/won't be in the game or that it is a feature. Dave's on response to the same statement "hehe. If you think that's an announcement of a feature, then enjoy it. (I don't. :)" read like a "Don't get your hopes up". Funnily enough, people gloss over or flat out ignore that one...

And remember, just because you connected the dots a certain way doesn't mean the picture will come out correct. We will all just have to wait and see.

Exact same thing happened with the infamous "perma death" tweet from Smedley.  It was immediately denounced by the lead designer.

• XAleX360XAleX360 Member UncommonPosts: 516

I really, really hope that we won't be limited to predefined factions because that goes against everything that a sandbox is.

In order to have actual consequences to player fighting, there need to be player created factions. It's as simple as that, as only player created factions can also be ultimately destroyed, whereas predefined factions are never truly defeated and as a result, player actions do not matter at all.

Executive Editor (Games) http://www.wccftech.com

• KnyttaKnytta Member UncommonPosts: 414

Factions was incredibly important in EQ1 even with no PVP, those that did not experience it has no idea what Smedley speaks about. Secondly SOE will have to do damage control soon I have heard several people in EQ2 who has played Everquest games for over 10 years say that they are worried about what EQ Next will be and might not even play it (this is due to att the PvP talk).

And you do NOT want to make your existing customers  that has been with you for so many years worried about the next product. It is always easier to retain existing customers or get old customers back than finding new customers. It is highly likely that a lot of the EQ things that got dropped with EQ2 are coming back, and more opportunities for interaction with the world and more RP opportunities to create your own stories. But for the rest we do not know.

Chi puo dir com'egli arde é in picciol fuoco.

He who can describe the flame does not burn.

Petrarch

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Ugh, green garamond. *rub eyes*

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• hMJemhMJem Member Posts: 465
    Originally posted by Knytta

Factions was incredibly important in EQ1 even with no PVP, those that did not experience it has no idea what Smedley speaks about. Secondly SOE will have to do damage control soon I have heard several people in EQ2 who has played Everquest games for over 10 years say that they are worried about what EQ Next will be and might not even play it (this is due to att the PvP talk).

And you do NOT want to make your existing customers  that has been with you for so many years worried about the next product. It is always easier to retain existing customers or get old customers back than finding new customers. It is highly likely that a lot of the EQ things that got dropped with EQ2 are coming back, and more opportunities for interaction with the world and more RP opportunities to create your own stories. But for the rest we do not know.

Dave Georgeson specifically said he isn't worried about EQNext destroying EQ1 and EQ2 because EQNext is very different than those two games, by design. He says he never sees a reason to shut down EQ1 and EQ2, so why make a third game like it? He said "EQNext will be very different than its two siblings"

So an EQ1 fan might not even like EQNext, and that's perfectly fine with the SOE Everquest Next team. They're being smart. There are nostalgia people or those just so dedicated to a game they spent time on they'll never quit it or accept changes or a new game -- They are targetting the whole MMORPG market and those who want to see a change in the MMORPG market. By this point you can probably call the still standing EQ1 players "a niche crowd" because of their low population.

tl;dr: They are intentionally making EQN different than EQ1 and EQ2, which implies theyre not necessarily targeting those fanbases.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by XAleX360

I really, really hope that we won't be limited to predefined factions because that goes against everything that a sandbox is.

In order to have actual consequences to player fighting, there need to be player created factions. It's as simple as that, as only player created factions can also be ultimately destroyed, whereas predefined factions are never truly defeated and as a result, player actions do not matter at all.

Man, isn't is funny reading some of the request and hopes from our fellow community members? Things like -

1. hard factions

2. pvp areas

3. gear drops

what kind of sandbox is that!? I can't believe I've engaged in talks of what is and what isn't a sandbox with some of them. 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999
    Originally posted by bcbully

Man, isn't is funny reading some of the request and hopes from our fellow community members? Things like -

1. hard factions

2. pvp areas

3. gear drops

what kind of sandbox is that!? I can't believe I've engaged in talks of what is and what isn't a sandbox with some of them. 

eve online has 2 of those things.... pvp areas and gear drops.  in fact when you have a capital ship (i do) you are equipping it with gear that drops off of faction NPCs in nullsec.

is eve not a sandbox?  it is to me.

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,010
    Originally posted by itchmon
    Originally posted by bcbully

1. hard factions

2. pvp areas

3. gear drops

eve online has 2 of those things.... pvp areas and gear drops.  in fact when you have a capital ship (i do) you are equipping it with gear that drops off of faction NPCs in nullsec.

is eve not a sandbox?  it is to me.

Also, doesn't EVE have some sort of factions? I'm not clear on how they relate to players and their corps.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Originally posted by hMJem
    Originally posted by Knytta

Dave Georgeson specifically said he isn't worried about EQNext destroying EQ1 and EQ2 because EQNext is very different than those two games, by design. He says he never sees a reason to shut down EQ1 and EQ2, so why make a third game like it? He said "EQNext will be very different than its two siblings"

So an EQ1 fan might not even like EQNext, and that's perfectly fine with the SOE Everquest Next team. They're being smart. There are nostalgia people or those just so dedicated to a game they spent time on they'll never quit it or accept changes or a new game -- They are targetting the whole MMORPG market and those who want to see a change in the MMORPG market. By this point you can probably call the still standing EQ1 players "a niche crowd" because of their low population.

tl;dr: They are intentionally making EQN different than EQ1 and EQ2, which implies theyre not necessarily targeting those fanbases.

Think me and you have been through this before.

Let's go back shall we?

SOE Live October 2012

Smed.

You mentioned last night that EQ Next will look like nothing we've ever seen. Will EQ Next still have the familiar feel to it that EQ fans are used to? How do you strike the balance between innovation and still staying true to the franchise?

I also said in there that it will still be very familiar to you, but what I meant by that statement is that we're changing what an MMO is. MMO means something now, and it means the same thing to everybody because it's the same game. EverQuestWoWSWTOR all use the same core loot gameplay, which is kill stuff, get reward, get loot, level up. Very few games have broken out of that mold. One or two have.EVE Online is a great example; it's not standard level-based gameplay, although I'm not saying we're going to a big skill-based system.You're still going to recognize the roleplaying game heritage in it. 

InEverQuest Next, the world itself is a part of the game. What is the world in these other games? It's a simple backdrop. It's nothing. We are changing that greatly. We're changing what AI is in these games to a degree that we're going to bring life to the world. That to us is the essence of the change that we're making.

At GDC last week, you also talked about how quickly traditional MMO content is consumed and how that plays into your decision to adopt a philosophy toward emergent gameplay. The question comes up about how that affects the future of raid content -- something that takes a lot of time to design and is usually played by only a portion of the community. What are your thoughts on that?

This is a very interesting question. I think it's at the core of why what we're doing is sustainable. I'll go right to the heart of the matter. You get to the point where we make an expansion, and when I say we, I mean the entire MMO community. You make your expansion, the real hardcore players consume it in a month, and they're doing the raids over and over and over until the next round of live content that we put in. Typically, three or four times a year, we as MMO companies put new endgame in there to keep the raiders happy.

We absolutely need to build that style of content into every game we make because players want that. We're not talking about the end of raids, the end of this incredibly high-level content. We're talking about changing the nature of the world around it so that there's a lot more to do "in between" expansions. A good example, but a very narrow example, is battlegrounds in WoW or EQII, where players get bored doing it over and over again. But imagine the entire world as part of the interaction. Imagine seasons changing. Imagine if you're a Druid and you need to literally seek out reagents for your spells or worship your deity in a glade somewhere off in the wilderness, but you don't know where. Or image forests growing back after they're burned to the ground by invading forces. What we want is a dynamic world that gives all those other possibilities and doesn't just say OK, go to raid X with group composition of X, Y, Z, and kill the dragon for the 52nd time to get the tier 800 gear. It's this rinse-and-repeat gameplay that's got to change, and so we're changing it.

So it seems that the main take on Smed's EQN is not to actually chance the main essence of what EQ is but to make the world more interactive, i living breathing world. All of the key elements are still there, classes, raids and all the other things you would expect from this epic IP.

Again, EQN will be very familiar to EQ players.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

PVE factions i remember from EQ1 were

1. deity  (what god you chose)

Deity selection was intertwined with the class you chose

example:  I chose Rallos Zek for my half elf warrior

- and found that i was kill on sight to the Dwarven guards of Butcherblock despite being birthed in Greater Fay

2. Racial city

a matrix showing possible class, race, deity combinations and their starting cities.

http://eqtitan.com/crd.php

3. mob/npc factions -- varied, sometimes would matter for tradeskills and merchants - sometimes not