Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Smedley: "You have no idea just how far we are going to make [factions] important..."

Comments

• William12William12 Member Posts: 680
    Originally posted by jdnyc
    Originally posted by William12
     as he has said plenty that you ignored

like what?

The fact that the said the game will have as many classes as EQ but not as many as EQ2.  That alone says this will not be a true sandbox. 

• jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643
    Originally posted by kellian1

What does that have to do with PvP or factions exactly? It's not even into detail, it's an overreaching idea of what the game is. He also said "What we’re building is something that we will be very proud to call EverQuest"...based on the PvE history of Everquest why couldn't the same argument be made for a PvE sandbox game with limited PvP?

There have been ZERO details about this game other than broad, vague ideas.

I never said that factions with PVP was a fact.  I do think in my opinion that there's a high probability that there will be Open World PVP in EQ Next.  But yes I will concede that there is a possibility that the CEO of SOE could say that he agrees with sandbox games needing open world PVP and not have it in his own sandbox game.  I find that prospect HIGHLY improbable.  So much so that I put it in the fact column.  That shouldn't be fact in of itself.  I should of put the disclaimer High Possibility of Open World PVP in EQ Next would be more accurate.

• MaelwyddMaelwydd Member Posts: 1,123
    Originally posted by Maelwydd

Quote me a fact.

EverQuest Next is “largest sandbox MMO ever designed,” says SOE’s John Smedley

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/10/20/sony-online-entertainment-everquest-next-sandbox-mmo/

fact.

Prove it is a fact and not an opinion. Show me some statistical comparison please.

Still waiting for this proof....

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720
    Smedley needs to shut up and put his money where is mouth is........something which he has been historically poor at. We will see in August whether all these 'groundbreaking' and 'revolutionary' features he has been hinting are actually real.

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

• Kaynos1972Kaynos1972 Member Posts: 2,316
    Originally posted by stragen001
    Smedley needs to shut up and put his money where is mouth is........something which he has been historically poor at. We will see in August whether all these 'groundbreaking' and 'revolutionary' features he has been hinting are actually real.

You right.  After all these years watching MMO's come and go i've learned that you should ALWAYS take everything a dev say about a game in development with a HUGE grain of salt.

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392
    My goodness...people lunging at a few words.No wonder we get the games we get.
  • kellian1kellian1 Member UncommonPosts: 237

Ya know who use to alot to about stuff being groundbreaking...Peter Molyneux.

Remember how epic Fable was supposed to be (and basically every other game he ever was involved with). Be really careful getting hyped about the hype.

• jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643

Quote me a fact.

EverQuest Next is “largest sandbox MMO ever designed,” says SOE’s John Smedley

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/10/20/sony-online-entertainment-everquest-next-sandbox-mmo/

fact.

Prove it is a fact and not an opinion. Show me some statistical comparison please.

Still waiting for this proof....

LOL

Smedley said EQ Next will be the largest sandbox MMO ever designed.  That's a fact.  IF he's lying, it's not.

If you mean fact that he's telling the truth, then no.  We don't have anything of that nature.  But then we could think that when MMORPG says we'll poop our pants, that they could be lying too.  And Ten Ton Hammer could be lying as well.  Heck everyone could be lying until we see it for ourselves.  Even then many will argue with reality.  So what's your point? ;)

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by Drakynn
    Originally posted by DavisFlight

Not even a small stretch, especially when Smed has already mentioned there would be PvP in this game and sandbox elements.

He said he agrees wholeheartedly that sandbox games need open world pvp with real risk/rewards.

According to some people that doesn't mean EQ Next, even though EQ Next will be a sandbox.

Come August 2nd we'll find out for sure and see a whole new crop of threads pop up.  Boy those are going to be fun read and taste the tears.

It may or may nto apply to EQN,it may just be Smeds personal taste and not the direction the game is taking.

The director of an entire game company, who has been almost exclusively using his twitter to drop hints about EQnext, would not talk about personal taste, because any sane person would realize that everyone hanging on his world will assume he's talking about EQNext.

I know there's a lot of confused and scared people who don't understand PvP, but attacking the OP for connecting the very close together dots is not the way to do this.

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    Originally posted by Vorthanion
    Originally posted by SavageHorizon

And we have been following the game so perhaps you can tell us what "facts" you are talking about?

Nope it's a new game but it's still going to be very familiar to EQ players.

It will be sandbox.

It will have Open World PVP.  Smed doesn't specifically say EQ Next about this, but it's a response to a true Sandbox game having Open World PVP.  Some have deluded themselves into thinking that the man in charge is going to agree wholeheartedly in a public forum that he agrees that Sandbox games need to have Open World PVP, but not put it in his own game.  As if he has no control to tell his subordinates anything or that he would make public his own opinions about something that his very own game lacks.

It will be a parallel universe.

It will have a lot of involvement with Factions.

It will be on the PS4.

Crafting will play a large role.  (Read player related content)

It will be closely aligned with the feel of the original EQ.

There's other stuff that's more vague (like the burning down forests, etc.)

Oh I think he said we like permadeath for EQN once too.   so there's that.

It will also have themepark elements, as stated by Smedley himself.

What exactly are themepark elements? Sandboxes were here first, a themepark is a watered down sandbox.

Not even a small stretch, especially when Smed has already mentioned there would be PvP in this game and sandbox elements.

He said he agrees wholeheartedly that sandbox games need open world pvp with real risk/rewards.

According to some people that doesn't mean EQ Next, even though EQ Next will be a sandbox.

Come August 2nd we'll find out for sure and see a whole new crop of threads pop up.  Boy those are going to be fun read and taste the tears.

It may or may nto apply to EQN,it may just be Smeds personal taste and not the direction the game is taking.

The director of an entire game company, who has been almost exclusively using his twitter to drop hints about EQnext, would not talk about personal taste, because any sane person would realize that everyone hanging on his world will assume he's talking about EQNext.

I know there's a lot of confused and scared people who don't understand PvP, but attacking the OP for connecting the very close together dots is not the way to do this.

Really? Connecting the dots that weren't there in this case? You can't be serious...

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    The president of the company agreed that sandbox games should have open PvP and risk/reward. No mention of EQN in his reply. The executive producer of the EQ franchise replies that this is not a declaration of EQN features.

It's working better than they thought I would imagine :)
  • helothelot Member UncommonPosts: 99
    Factions are so important you will need to drink smedbucks 80% faction potions to make the game fun. 
  • SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466

like what?

The fact that the said the game will have as many classes as EQ but not as many as EQ2.  That alone says this will not be a true sandbox. 

And the game will be very familiar to EQ player and they are not going for some big skill based system.

All this screams sandpark hybrid to me.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Originally posted by Kaynos1972

You right.  After all these years watching MMO's come and go i've learned that you should ALWAYS take everything a dev say about a game in development with a HUGE grain of salt.

Not just real, but something that a majority of us would even enjoy.  They touted SWG's systems as fabulous, so much so, they had to completely revamp the game after severe losses of subscriptions.

like what?

And the game will be very familiar to EQ player and they are not going for some big skill based system.

How can it be a sandpark or whatever that is, when he clearly stated it would be the biggest SANDBOX you've ever seen?

Originally posted by Kaynos1972

Not just real, but something that a majority of us would even enjoy.  They touted SWG's systems as fabulous, so much so, they had to completely revamp the game after severe losses of subscriptions.

And yet pre cu had more subs than the nge, try harder.

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030

I like how you edited out most of my post then lump me n with some imagined people who are scared and don't understand PvP.Well played Sir Troll,well played.

Originally posted by nerovipus32

like what?

How can it be a sandpark or whatever that is, when he clearly stated it would be the biggest SANDBOX you've ever seen?

I think someone needs to go on twitter and ask Smeds directly and solve this mess :-)

Will this game be and open world PvP FFA sandbox yes or no. If nothing else his naturally vague reply will give everyone fodder until August 2nd!! :-p

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Originally posted by nerovipus32

And we have been following the game so perhaps you can tell us what "facts" you are talking about?

Nope it's a new game but it's still going to be very familiar to EQ players.

It will be sandbox.

It will have Open World PVP.  Smed doesn't specifically say EQ Next about this, but it's a response to a true Sandbox game having Open World PVP.  Some have deluded themselves into thinking that the man in charge is going to agree wholeheartedly in a public forum that he agrees that Sandbox games need to have Open World PVP, but not put it in his own game.  As if he has no control to tell his subordinates anything or that he would make public his own opinions about something that his very own game lacks.

It will be a parallel universe.

It will have a lot of involvement with Factions.

It will be on the PS4.

Crafting will play a large role.  (Read player related content)

It will be closely aligned with the feel of the original EQ.

There's other stuff that's more vague (like the burning down forests, etc.)

Oh I think he said we like permadeath for EQN once too.   so there's that.

It will also have themepark elements, as stated by Smedley himself.

What exactly are themepark elements? Sandboxes were here first, a themepark is a watered down sandbox.

Developer led content as in walking through amusement park rides.  If it was purely a sandbox, they would only be implementing tools for player made content, but they are in fact offering developer made quests, raids and dynamic events.  All of which are very much part of the themepark formula.  Oh yeah, forgot that there will be classes, not an open skill system, yet another hallmark of themepark games.  The closest thing I have seen to a real sandbox game was A Tale in the Desert.

On a personal note, I would like to point out that I would much more prefer a sandpark to a hardcore sandbox any day.

Well he actually said "biggest sandbox-style" MMO we've ever seen. That "-style" portion is pretty important since he later says that both dev content and player content are needed to keep up with content demand.
    Originally posted by Aelious
    The president of the company agreed that sandbox games should have open PvP and risk/reward. No mention of EQN in his reply. The executive producer of the EQ franchise replies that this is not a declaration of EQN features.

It's working better than they thought I would imagine :)

Open PvP could mean PvP any where but only if you flag yourself...or only guild vs guild...or only faction vs faction....

Open PvP does NOT mean non consensual, FFA, full loot...

The problem is, people read something, their brain kicks in and then all sorts of shit comes out. And some of the 'FACTS' people are claiming are just downright laughable (not saying it might not turn out to be exactly what these people want, just that to state facts where there are none is laughable).

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466

All i know is ArcheAge and Age Of  Wulin have some very good original features so i expect many of them to be present in EQN . I not talking about siege warfare i'm talking about things that happen in the world or a player can do.

ArcheAge has a very interactive world which is meant to be Smed main concept for EQN.

Kellian1

I agree it's an info cross meaning sludge-fest right now lol. Even if Smed had planned to reveal more now I wouldn't if I was him. This mess has riveted people more than they could have dreamed so far :)

He should have been doing this sooner lol
    Originally posted by Aelious
    Well he actually said "biggest sandbox-style" MMO we've ever seen. That "-style" portion is pretty important since he later says that both dev content and player content are needed to keep up with content demand.

Yeah people are too quick to read what they want and ignore the rest. I have hopes that the game could be huge but till it comes out I wouldn't be stupid enough to believe a word.