Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Smedley: "You have no idea just how far we are going to make [factions] important..."

Comments

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Originally posted by jdnyc
    Originally posted by Vorthanion

Google is your friend or do you need to go back and qualify all of your posts with links to verified information.  Double standards never work my friend.

In other words.  he didn't say it.

Applying said logic to all of your bull......afore mentioned bullet points.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by kellian1
    Originally posted by Bidwood

I'm excited about this because of the potential for PVP.

Right...he's replying to a man who said he and his daughter played EQ and enjoyed the factions and wanted to know about EQnext, and you take out of it some sort of PvP context? WOW

Why shouldn't he? Factions almost always means PvP. Even in old EQ factions were PvP oriented on some servers, and guards would go after you on PvE servers.

Not even a small stretch, especially when Smed has already mentioned there would be PvP in this game and sandbox elements.

• jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643

Google is your friend or do you need to go back and qualify all of your posts with links to verified information.  Double standards never work my friend.

In other words.  he didn't say it.

Applying said logic to all of your bull......afore mentioned bullet points.

Explain this.

https://twitter.com/j_smedley/status/342744576181821441/photo/1

and then this.

https://twitter.com/j_smedley/status/342745058103160832/photo/1

yeah.  for the rest - do your own research.

• KuanshuKuanshu Member Posts: 272

Everquest introduced faction system and it was pretty impressive for what its worth.

This is pure genius if they improve upon it and make it very dynamic as it surely adds to the PvE in the game and makes it alot more dynamic overall

I was aware of players who would grind out faction so as to help them be friendly with what used to be a faction that hated them previously...this took a while as it should and proved to be an interesting dynamic on PvP servers.

From the occassional tweet this game is sounding better and better...will be nice if they actually throw us a bone before SOE live...

Originally posted by DavisFlight

Not even a small stretch, especially when Smed has already mentioned there would be PvP in this game and sandbox elements.

He said he agrees wholeheartedly that sandbox games need open world pvp with real risk/rewards.

According to some people that doesn't mean EQ Next, even though EQ Next will be a sandbox.

Come August 2nd we'll find out for sure and see a whole new crop of threads pop up.  Boy those are going to be fun read and taste the tears.

• kellian1kellian1 Member UncommonPosts: 237

Right...he's replying to a man who said he and his daughter played EQ and enjoyed the factions and wanted to know about EQnext, and you take out of it some sort of PvP context? WOW

Why shouldn't he? Factions almost always means PvP. Even in old EQ factions were PvP oriented on some servers, and guards would go after you on PvE servers.

It really is amazing how much you guys try and project onto someone else's words, particularly in this case where the question and answer have zero to do with PvP. It really is unbelievable.

Again from Elidorth (one of the developers) from the EQ forums "you guys are coming to a LOT of conclusions based upon one tweet from Smed. Considering how little anyone knows about the game (including ME) outside of the development team, I think perhaps this is all a bit premature."

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030

He said he agrees wholeheartedly that sandbox games need open world pvp with real risk/rewards.

According to some people that doesn't mean EQ Next, even though EQ Next will be a sandbox.

Come August 2nd we'll find out for sure and see a whole new crop of threads pop up.  Boy those are going to be fun read and taste the tears.

It may or may nto apply to EQN,it may just be Smeds personal taste and not the direction the game is taking.

Most likely it will have Open World PvP areas but that's hardly new these days.Now saying that this one statement proves that EQN will be 100% FF open world PvP on all servers is a big stretch even if it may turn out to be true.

Again from Elidorth (one of the developers) from the EQ forums "you guys are coming to a LOT of conclusions based upon one tweet from Smed. Considering how little anyone knows about the game (including ME) outside of the development team, I think perhaps this is all a bit premature."

Before the other thread got locked from a legitimate question, I was going to reply to this quote.  That was from a dev trying to calm people down.  The thread was at a near riot the name of the thread was even incendiary.  It was a flame thread burning out of control.  That quote taken out of context was not a refute on what Smedley, but one made to tell people to chill the f*ck out.

• ElderRatElderRat Member CommonPosts: 899
    Originally posted by ElderRat

I think the best bet is to ignore smedley. Wait until August 2. Find out what is actually in the game and make any game buying decisions then. I know that is what I will do. EQnext could be an interesting game or it could be a con job and actually just EQ3. No real way of knowing until August 2.  My opinion.  

Edit: not saying that EQ3 couldn't be a good or interesting game - it is just not what they are advertising.

I said this before and I will say it again.  I'm not hyped for the game.  I'm hyped for August 2nd.  

But that doesn't mean people can't discuss what's been said already.  Funny thing is I see so many people trashing Smedley.  They call him a liar, a troll, snake oil salesman.  But no one can give any evidence over the slander they've labeled on the guy.  

Did SOE screw up NGE with SWG?  Yep.  Was he a jerk about the whole thing?  Yep.  Did he apologize for it? Yep.

What else?  Why shouldn't we believe anything this guy said?  Why should we view him as scum as one poster he has called him?

Smedley may be many things, but a liar I'm not sure is one of them.

I didn't call smedley scum, nor did I say he is a liar. I am saying that his responses have been interpreted to be different things depending on what you want in EQnext. I think he has been purposefully vague. I don't have a rpoblem with him doing that.  I know that as far as I am concerned there is not enough information out there to know what the game will be like. I am not going to waste money on a game that I either will not like or will not be able to distinguish from a lot of other games.  August 2 we should find out if not all then enough to know whether or not to cross EQnext off our respective lists of games to play or to keep it on those lists. I think what Smedley has done is masterful. Look at all the discussion of his game. All the crying and weeping and gnashing of teeth and ripping of hair.  It is all much ado over nothing because there is no solid info. Is Smedley scum because of what he has posted, not in my opinion. Is he a liar? I don't think he has actually said anything solid enough to be be called truth or fiction.   August 2 we will find out what is what.

Currently bored with MMO's.

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466

It really is amazing how much you guys try and project onto someone else's words, particularly in this case where the question and answer have zero to do with PvP. It really is unbelievable.

Yup and he is saying that in a PVP thread.

Before the other thread got locked from a legitimate question, I was going to reply to this quote.  That was from a dev trying to calm people down.  The thread was at a near riot the name of the thread was even incendiary.  It was a flame thread burning out of control.  That quote taken out of context was not a refute on what Smedley, but one made to tell people to chill the f*ck out.

Actually I've read the entire thread and it's not even close to what you describe. People were doing what we are doing right here at MMORPG (cheap pop), but in a FAR more measured/civilized way. He wasn't trying to calm anyone down, he was trying to bring logic into the discussion.

read for yourself - https://forums.station.sony.com/eq/index.php?threads/smed-co-betraying-the-core-esense-of-eq.200903/page-2

Originally posted by Drakynn

It may or may nto apply to EQN,it may just be Smeds personal taste and not the direction the game is taking.

Most likely it will have Open World PvP areas but that's hardly new these days.Now saying that this one statement proves that EQN will be 100% FF open world PvP on all servers is a big stretch even if it may turn out to be true.

I agree with you 100%  I'm not even sure if I want PVP in EQ Next.  But if it's in there then there need to be set rules and it needs to be interwoven within the game itself to be done properly.  I don't think you can separate the two.  This part is only my opinion and who knows what is actually in the game.  That said I find it really hard to believe that someone would make their personal feelings on a subject of sandbox known and not have it in the game that they are about to announce.  It would be completely mad to make such a blunder.  You want to think the head of SOE stands firmly behind the sandbox direction of EQN.  The best argument from the detractors is that's not the case.  I find that argument more unlikely than the former.

• MaelwyddMaelwydd Member Posts: 1,123

It will be sandbox.

It will have Open World PVP.  Smed doesn't specifically say EQ Next about this, but it's a response to a true Sandbox game having Open World PVP.  Some have deluded themselves into thinking that the man in charge is going to agree wholeheartedly in a public forum that he agrees that Sandbox games need to have Open World PVP, but not put it in his own game.  As if he has no control to tell his subordinates anything or that he would make public his own opinions about something that his very own game lacks.

It will be a parallel universe.

It will have a lot of involvement with Factions.

It will be on the PS4.

Crafting will play a large role.  (Read player related content)

It will be closely aligned with the feel of the original EQ.

There's other stuff that's more vague (like the burning down forests, etc.)

Oh I think he said we like permadeath for EQN once too.   so there's that.

Or it will not...

When there is no proof either way then the people who state 'facts' are pure trolls.

• evilizedevilized Member UncommonPosts: 576
    Set up factions like the factions from UO based on city. Full open PvP between faction members, blue players (those not tagged with a specific faction) are left out and for the most part safe.

Open world PvP mixed with pve chicken littles solved.
  • SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466

Actually I've read the entire thread and it's not even close to what you describe. People were doing what we are doing right here at MMORPG (cheap pop), but in a FAR more measured/civilized way. He wasn't trying to calm anyone down, he was trying to bring logic into the discussion.

read for yourself - https://forums.station.sony.com/eq/index.php?threads/smed-co-betraying-the-core-esense-of-eq.200903/page-2

And it's not locked.

Originally posted by Maelwydd

Or it will not...

When there is no proof either way then the people who state 'facts' are pure trolls.

It's only not fact if Smedley is lying.

Or it will not...

Quote me a fact.

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030

I agree with you 100%  I'm not even sure if I want PVP in EQ Next.  But if it's in there then there need to be set rules and it needs to be interwoven within the game itself to be done properly.  I don't think you can separate the two.  This part is only my opinion and who knows what is actually in the game.  That said I find it really hard to believe that someone would make their personal feelings on a subject of sandbox known and not have it in the game that they are about to announce.  It would be completely mad to make such a blunder.  You want to think the head of SOE stands firmly behind the sandbox direction of EQN.  The best argument from the detractors is that's not the case.  I find that argument more unlikely than the former.

I too find it unlikely that there will be no open world PvP...I just find it unlikely to it will be the forced non consensual type that others are proposing it is and can only be.I personally like how War Online handled open World PvP on PvE servers and had it woven into the game and lore.It's one of the things the game got right.This sort of thing could be used in a Sandbox game too and in fact could be determined by player actions as to where these zones are at any time.That would be kind of awesome.

Or it will not...

Quote me a fact.

EverQuest Next is “largest sandbox MMO ever designed,” says SOE’s John Smedley

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/10/20/sony-online-entertainment-everquest-next-sandbox-mmo/

fact.

Or it will not...

Again where has Smedley said and of this is defiantly going to be in EQnext? Where has that happened and where has he given specific examples of gameplay, mechanics and systems that will be in the game?

You're projecting onto his words what you want them to mean. Until somebody says this is 100% in the game, than you know nothing and are making assumptions and wishing for things that may or may not happen all while acting like they are fact.

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

I took one of the faction comments I saw as how you could get faction with like Qeynos, halas, and the many hundreds of other factions in the original EQ.  I took it as they were saying they were going to ramp up that kind of interaction, when I read or watched something where they talked about that originally.

Quote me a fact.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/10/20/sony-online-entertainment-everquest-next-sandbox-mmo/

fact.

Prove it is a fact and not an opinion. Show me some statistical comparison please.

Or it will not...

Quote me a fact.

fact.

What does that have to do with PvP or factions exactly? It's not even into detail, it's an overreaching idea of what the game is. He also said "What we’re building is something that we will be very proud to call EverQuest"...based on the PvE history of Everquest why couldn't the same argument be made for a PvE sandbox game with limited PvP?

There have been ZERO details about this game other than broad, vague ideas.

I too find it unlikely that there will be no open world PvP...I just find it unlikely to it will be the forced non consensual type that others are proposing it is and can only be.I personally like how War Online handled open World PvP on PvE servers and had it woven into the game and lore.It's one of the things the game got right.This sort of thing could be used in a Sandbox game too and in fact could be determined by player actions as to where these zones are at any time.That would be kind of awesome.

I'm with ya.  Thing that gets me is the guy keeps talking about EVE.  

Here's him talking about it:

"My Eve experiences have been some of the most amazing of my gaming life. I am a true PVP'er at heart and I'm not a big fan of rules. Eve provides the perfect environment for a person like me. I created my character with Piracy in mind and after paying a few ransoms in my newbie life I realized that's harder than it looks. I began playing a few years ago. I tried 6 times to get into Eve and on the 7th it took. And I credit Eve University with that. As soon as I got in there things just clicked. The most problematic aspect of Eve Gameplay at the moment - honestly I'd have a hard time pinning it down. 6 months ago I would have said the newbie experience but they are working hard to improve it."

Here's the link:

http://themittani.com/features/mittani-interviews-soe-ceo-john-smedley

(I know.  It's from themittani)

Part of EVE's charm is a single server - so that has me wondering on that front.  Therefore; a lot of the guessing stuff is based on that train of thought as a possibility.  I just have a hard time believing that none of this guy's philosophy is going to make it into EQ Next.  

Obviously none of us know any real details for sure and certainly not about implementation.

• krulerkruler Member UncommonPosts: 589

I know Smed loves a bit of Eve, he has often mentioned the game, Im now wondering what with all his vague tweets and him expressing opinions knowing full well people will leap to his opinion being an EQnext fact, wether he is a member of the Goons.

Seeing the Goons do love to seed funky information to watch forums and chat explode and start tearing at each other.

Dear lord Smed a Goon, now that's a chilling thought, but then again it would explain SWG and a few other things as a LOLZ event.