Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Smedley: "You have no idea just how far we are going to make [factions] important..."

Comments

• WololoWololo Member Posts: 72
    Originally posted by Wololo
    Originally posted by Bidwood

I'm excited about this because of the potential for PVP.

If you had ever played an EQ title, you would know that factions are NPC based and have nothing to do with PvP within their(SoE's) uses. 

When they have 'faction' based PvP, it is always referred to as 'Team' PvP, not faction pvp.

Dont get over excited because I fear you and the rest of the PvP-Gung-Ho-Squad are going to be sorely disappointed when EQN is revealed/released.

*EDIT* Clarified *EDIT*

In contrast to what I said before, but still falling under the same assumptions (Since that is all anyone has to go off of till 8/2/13); I believe that those who want to PvP the way they knew PvP back in EQ1 will not be disappointed at all. They will be the PvP'ers that stay with this game. IMO of course.

• GiffenGiffen Member UncommonPosts: 276

Factions in EQ are NPC factions...they were important in EQ1 and not as much so in EQ2.  Sounds like they are going back to their roots in EQ1.

• jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643

If you had ever played an EQ title, you would know that factions are NPC based and have nothing to do with PvP within their(SoE's) uses. 

When they have 'faction' based PvP, it is always referred to as 'Team' PvP, not faction pvp.

Dont get over excited because I fear you and the rest of the PvP-Gung-Ho-Squad are going to be sorely disappointed when EQN is revealed/released.

*EDIT* Clarified *EDIT*

I would agree with you, except for the wholeheartedly agreeing that Open World PVP Sandbox reply from Smed.  There's more to this than just a Sandbox PvE game.  Anyone whom thinks that are going to be sorely disappointed when EQN is revealed/released.

• William12William12 Member Posts: 680
    Originally posted by jdnyc
    Originally posted by SavageHorizon

And we have been following the game so perhaps you can tell us what "facts" you are talking about?

Nope it's a new game but it's still going to be very familiar to EQ players.

It will be sandbox.

It will have Open World PVP.  Smed doesn't specifically say EQ Next about this, but it's a response to a true Sandbox game having Open World PVP.  Some have deluded themselves into thinking that the man in charge is going to agree wholeheartedly in a public forum that he agrees that Sandbox games need to have Open World PVP, but not put it in his own game.  As if he has no control to tell his subordinates anything or that he would make public his own opinions about something that his very own game lacks.

It will be a parallel universe.

It will have a lot of involvement with Factions.

It will be on the PS4.

Crafting will play a large role.  (Read player related content)

It will be closely aligned with the feel of the original EQ.

There's other stuff that's more vague (like the burning down forests, etc.)

Oh I think he said we like permadeath for EQN once too.   so there's that.

[mod edit]

1. He NEVER said yes it has open world PVP.  Stop making assumptions on his tweets as he has said plenty that you ignored but say the rest are fact.

2. He never confirmed the PS4 and it is not a ps4 launch title in fact they haven't even started working on the console version if they were going to make one.   This is a PC game if it is popular like PS2 I'm sure it will end up on the ps4 but we're talking 2015 for that.

3. There is no permadeath he said he liked it just like he said he liked open world PVP, but it does not mean it is in the dam game people.

• KoroshiyaKoroshiya Member UncommonPosts: 265

*EDIT* Clarified *EDIT*

actually you are wrong.  You just happened to play on a pve server not a pvp one.  =)  Nice try though!  Factions are teams, you are trying to use a term with a double meaning to mean only what you want it to.  Qeynos was a faction, and a "team" in eq2 pvp while in eq1 you had light vs dark teams on rathe, Rallos Zek had a more open pvp feel.  They also had Sullon Zek which was Diety faction based.

“The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off , why should I. Light up the darkness” – Bob Marley

• ElderRatElderRat Member CommonPosts: 899
    Originally posted by waynejr2

You have taken the bait from smed and let your imagination run wild.  What would be best, smed's little tweet, or a blog explaining the specifics in detail?  He is playing you.

actually Smedley is playing everyone. Look at all the heated debate just on pvp.  When everyone is debating your every comment on your game with no actual announcement on what is or is not in the game then that is just great. Free advertising. Your game is talked about. doesn't matter if the people doing the talking have any idea what they are talking about. The more it is talked about the more the idea of buying this game is planted. Sure when the actual announcement is made some people will be turned off and not buy it, if only because it does or doesn't have pvp.  But many will buy it just to see or just to own the shiney new toy. The more we discuss it, the higher that number might be. I saw a thread started by someone who never played EQ or EQ2 but has been attracted by all the hype and wants to know if it is just hype or what. So that is a win for Smedley - he has attracted attention outside of the EQ players. Well played.

Currently bored with MMO's.

• ice-vortexice-vortex Member UncommonPosts: 960

If you are dealing with AOEs or action combat, a faction system might be a necessity to prevent friendly fire.

A faction PVP system could be a lot more complicated than simply alignment factions, deity, or racial factions. We could see a lot more than three factions, with some being larger than others.  There are a lot of factions in EQ. With how they can rewrite the lore from ground up, we could see factions completely different than we have in.

Originally posted by Koroshiya

*EDIT* Clarified *EDIT*

actually you are wrong.  You just happened to play on a pve server not a pvp one.  =)  Nice try though!  Factions are teams, you are trying to use a term with a double meaning to mean only what you want it to.  Qeynos was a faction, and a "team" in eq2 pvp while in eq1 you had light vs dark teams on rathe, Rallos Zek had a more open pvp feel.  They also had Sullon Zek which was Diety faction based.

Well, I actually did play off and on over at VZ(Vallon Zek) which was the team based pvp server. So your assumption is wrong.

Also, could you change 'deity faction' on SZ? I dont think so. 

The way the EQ series have used the term Factions has been to designate an NPC group that you can raise or lower your standing with. VZ and SZ did not have options to change your TEAM once you picked it.

Originally posted by William12
     as he has said plenty that you ignored

like what?

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    Hopefully when he says factions it's like swg, imperials, rebels and neutral..so those who don't like pvp can just go about their business but still see the chaos around them.
  • JigawattsJigawatts Member UncommonPosts: 48
    I still remember when my Dark Elf finally earned enough faction gain to be able to openly walk through the streets of Freeport without getting attacked by the guards, that was a good day. I think I even attempted to say something witty in celebration, like "KOS my ass, guards!"
  • AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    Factions can either mean PvP competition or PvE competition, doesn't mean PvP specifically.

That said I think having a PvP system based on deity worship could be really dynamic and pull a lot of PvEers in. Have good and evil worshipers flagged for one another and have the neutral and elemental worshipers be unflagged unless they get involved.

A lore tie would be obvious, good and evil constantly at war and the larger neutral entity maintains the balance. Beings most do not like PvP the neutral/elemental side would be naturally bigger and make it harder for one side or the other to gain sway.

What sway? There could be a global system that ties into resources or other rewards depending on faction position. I think it would be a great way to solve both the consensual problem and give PvP meaning.
  • MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222

Yes!!  This is what later MMO's have missed.  EQ1's complex faction system.  I was from Qeynos and I could totally screw my faction with the city and then I would go underground...it just adds such another level of detail for both PvE and PvP.  Awesome!!

From crooked guards that wouldn't help you to uber elite NPC allies that could tear stuff up.  You actually had to learn the guards names and which ones were crooked and which ones weren't.  Much more complex like a virtual world should be.  This is all PvE stuff.  There are also good things for PvP from a faction perspective that I don't have the time to get into.  FFA PvP would have been mindless and not added anything to an open world PvP game.

Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by ElderRat
    Originally posted by waynejr2

You have taken the bait from smed and let your imagination run wild.  What would be best, smed's little tweet, or a blog explaining the specifics in detail?  He is playing you.

actually Smedley is playing everyone. Look at all the heated debate just on pvp.  When everyone is debating your every comment on your game with no actual announcement on what is or is not in the game then that is just great. Free advertising. Your game is talked about. doesn't matter if the people doing the talking have any idea what they are talking about. The more it is talked about the more the idea of buying this game is planted. Sure when the actual announcement is made some people will be turned off and not buy it, if only because it does or doesn't have pvp.  But many will buy it just to see or just to own the shiney new toy. The more we discuss it, the higher that number might be. I saw a thread started by someone who never played EQ or EQ2 but has been attracted by all the hype and wants to know if it is just hype or what. So that is a win for Smedley - he has attracted attention outside of the EQ players. Well played.

If I were Smed I'd be messing with people hard via twitter right now.

"You have no idea what importance TOMATOES are going to be in our game!!!

And spelling will be as important as combat!"

OR

"for our PvP - we are big fans of QWOP"

lol

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749

And we have been following the game so perhaps you can tell us what "facts" you are talking about?

It will be sandbox.

It will have Open World PVP.  Smed doesn't specifically say EQ Next about this, but it's a response to a true Sandbox game having Open World PVP.  Some have deluded themselves into thinking that the man in charge is going to agree wholeheartedly in a public forum that he agrees that Sandbox games need to have Open World PVP, but not put it in his own game.  As if he has no control to tell his subordinates anything or that he would make public his own opinions about something that his very own game lacks.

It will be on the PS4.

It will also have themepark elements, as stated by Smedley himself.

• KoroshiyaKoroshiya Member UncommonPosts: 265

*EDIT* Clarified *EDIT*

Well, I actually did play off and on over at VZ(Vallon Zek) which was the team based pvp server. So your assumption is wrong.

The way the EQ series have used the term Factions has been to designate an NPC group that you can raise or lower your standing with. VZ and SZ did not have options to change your TEAM once you picked it.

which they later added to EQ2's pvp system where you COULD change "factions", just because they use a term "team" doesn't mean a team isn't a faction... they just updated their pvp systems to include 3 factions instead of servers having all different pvp options. (Qeynos, Freeport and Outcast, all 3 factions were able to be raised or lowered if you wanted to change)

“The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off , why should I. Light up the darkness” – Bob Marley

Originally posted by Vorthanion

It will be sandbox.

It will be on the PS4.

I think the best bet is to ignore smedley. Wait until August 2. Find out what is actually in the game and make any game buying decisions then. I know that is what I will do. EQnext could be an interesting game or it could be a con job and actually just EQ3. No real way of knowing until August 2.  My opinion.  

Edit: not saying that EQ3 couldn't be a good or interesting game - it is just not what they are advertising.

*EDIT* Clarified *EDIT*

which they later added to EQ2's pvp system where you COULD change "factions", just because they use a term "team" doesn't mean a team isn't a faction... they just updated their pvp systems to include 3 factions instead of 2 (Qeynos, Freeport and Outcast, all 3 factions were able to be raised or lowered if you wanted to change)

I stand corrected on EQ2's PVP system, I should have stated that I only played EQ2 for about 4-6 months and did not make a char on a PvP server. 

It will be sandbox.

It will be on the PS4.

I think the best bet is to ignore smedley. Wait until August 2. Find out what is actually in the game and make any game buying decisions then. I know that is what I will do. EQnext could be an interesting game or it could be a con job and actually just EQ3. No real way of knowing until August 2.  My opinion. 

QFT.

read where I said closely aligned to the original EQ.  and show me where he used the words themepark and EQ Next together.  The one thing the guy has been (besides his whole anti subscription model) is EQ Next not being a themepark.  He never said or implied the game would be a sandpark.  he's saying sandbox.

Originally posted by Torvaldr

Originally posted by Myrdynn
    I just hope it has artifacts, skill book masteries, and L&L's

I love those in EQ2.  I hope there is a similar type of system for EQN.  I have 2 walls of L&L in my EQ2 house.

It will be sandbox.

It will be on the PS4.

If that is true, and I say that because you're extrapolating, then it will be an optional system like it has always been.

I'm praying for a very robust Alternate Advancement system, preferably more like EQ than EQ2.

read where I said closely aligned to the original EQ.  and show me where he used the words themepark and EQ Next together.  The one thing the guy has been (besides his whole anti subscription model) is EQ Next not being a themepark.  He never said or implied the game would be a sandpark.  he's saying sandbox.

Google is your friend or do you need to go back and qualify all of your posts with links to verified information.  Double standards never work my friend.

Edit: not saying that EQ3 couldn't be a good or interesting game - it is just not what they are advertising.

I said this before and I will say it again.  I'm not hyped for the game.  I'm hyped for August 2nd.  

But that doesn't mean people can't discuss what's been said already.  Funny thing is I see so many people trashing Smedley.  They call him a liar, a troll, snake oil salesman.  But no one can give any evidence over the slander they've labeled on the guy.  

Did SOE screw up NGE with SWG?  Yep.  Was he a jerk about the whole thing?  Yep.  Did he apologize for it? Yep.

What else?  Why shouldn't we believe anything this guy said?  Why should we view him as scum as one poster he has called him?

Smedley may be many things, but a liar I'm not sure is one of them.

• ice-vortexice-vortex Member UncommonPosts: 960

It will be sandbox.

It will be on the PS4.

He never said any such thing.

Google is your friend or do you need to go back and qualify all of your posts with links to verified information.  Double standards never work my friend.

In other words.  he didn't say it.