Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What do you think of GW2s end game?

Comments

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by rodingo
    I think the endgame is just fine.  I guess I am one of the many in ANet's target audience.   It's nice to finally have a game that fits my play style.  If  raiding is your idea of endgame then something tells me you will have no problem in finding that mechanic in the millions of other WoW clone MMOs.

what is the endgame?

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • kyssarikyssari Member Posts: 142
    GW2 endgame is PVP and grinding for fashion to dress up your toons, its definitely not for everyone lol
  • DestaiDestai Member Posts: 574

After 500+ of gameplay, I don't think much of it. Most of those hours were spent exploring the open world and working towards a dungeon achievement. I guess the game doesn't really explain much of what to do once you're 80. And with ArenaNet outright stubbornness in any permanent meaningful end game, it doesn't seem like it will improve soon. We've got 8 dungeons. Hell, Rift has more than that. We've yet to get basic functionality like a LFG tool and the group PVE content is limited to 5 man dungeons or open world events. 

The game could really benefit from some raids, even without gear progression, and some basic tools to help players get together. The dynamic event system is stillborn - I've no reason to go through more than half of the zones. It doesn't tie into any advancement and as a result, no players are flocking to them. The living story is further proof ArenaNet is still deciding on what they actually want their game to be. Personally, I think it's wasteful to have drops of content like the Living Story events. The dungeons are so well done, but then disappear from the game world. There's rumor they might be reborn as fractals - but those are not fun whatsoever, at least to me. 

My problem with the game is that there is too much left undone at this point. It needs time to mature and ArenaNet needs time to settle on what exactly their vision is. Until then, I'm not spending any more money in the shop and my playing time is reduced; I've no reason to log in right now. 

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Originally posted by bcbully
    Originally posted by rodingo
    I think the endgame is just fine.  I guess I am one of the many in ANet's target audience.   It's nice to finally have a game that fits my play style.  If  raiding is your idea of endgame then something tells me you will have no problem in finding that mechanic in the millions of other WoW clone MMOs.

what is the endgame?

For me and others like me who PvP, it's WvW and sPvP.   What other end game is there, raiding for gear?  Haha, no thanks. 

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426
    Originally posted by Maelzrael

With that said, the endgame in gw2 is so ungodly boring that I can hardly bring my self to log in anymore after about 1000 hours played.

GW2 has been out for exactly 300 days now, so you've clocked more than three hours per day on average. For almost a year. If I played a single game that much, I'd be bored, too.

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207

PVE is severely lacking for guilds to do together and guild missions are not on par.  The 5-man content and the inability to form parties/groups any larger really annoyed the hell out of me.

I was initially against raiding but now see it as an important aspect for stability and giving guilds something to do.  I realized that the majority of my play time was spent grinding the same speed run dungeons and grinding mobs over and over for mats for another legendary while doing the dailies.  That's just not fun to me and i've been playing less and less.

I would love some content that i can get 10-20 people for and fight some tough bosses.  Call it raiding or give it another name but it's something missing that i forgot how much i enjoyed.

I really love everything about the game, except what i get to do at 80.

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088
    Originally posted by kyssari
    GW2 endgame is PVP and grinding for fashion to dress up your toons, its definitely not for everyone lol

It's not that different for raiding MMOs, people want to show off their epics to other people by trotting around with chin up "hey look at me I've raided same dungeon for 245 times I'm better then all you noobs"

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673
    And the game feels better for it.
  • KinadoKinado Member Posts: 198

Me, I have too much free time, fortunely. Still, didn't have the patience to get a legendary which is or was an insane FARM.

Everything in this game is a huge farm. I even read in the chat once: " OMG I love this game, my favourite part is that I can actually farm with friends!" . All you can do is farm basically, there is no higher and long range goal, no sense of belonging.

The game is pretty epic specially when leveling up, after that there is no reason to keep going.

Arenanet is amazing with their constant updates though, too bad that their mentality for a MMO isn't what I'm looking for.

Carbine with Wildstar seem to have their head in the right place for a MMO, even though I don't plan to raid.

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    Is there end game in GW2 now? Tried even Mists but zerging around got boring very quickly.
  • NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673
    Originally posted by Piiritus
    Is there end game in GW2 now? Tried even Mists but zerging around got boring very quickly.

There are still the same long-term activities for lvl 80 players than there were at launch, the only addition since then would be the Guild Objectives. If that doesn't count as end game for you, then there still is no end game in GW2.

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by Mardukk

Where the hell did you get 30g playing very casually?  You clearly hated the game to play enough to get the karma, dungeon tokens and pvp tokens....give me a break.

OP, the "endgame" I've found in the game is playing a bunch of alts.  There isn't much else out there that isn't a full loot pvp no pve crapfest or linear quest hub themepark suckage.  This is about the only option other than TSW, which you can finish in a couple months...no alts needed.

I play the game casually, EVE is my main game, I am not in a guild, I don't do dungeons.

I play alone in pugs spvp and WvW pvp.

I use a program called Temple and in a few hours of being online I get to a event, Jormag, Maw, Behemoth, Shatterer whatever and with the loot I get there (exotic/rares) I earn like 1g/day easily by selling it.

When I actually play the game for a few hours, like pvp I get same loot when having fun and I am up to 20g in 2w of casual play.

So yes, it can be done and no, you don't need to buy gems as a casual player.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by Vladamyre

Some form of a treadmill is a good idea to a point. Wow based gear treadmills are bad, very bad. Player upgrade treadmills like Dark Age of Camelot's realm ranks were great, and GW2 dropped the ball when they didnt go with that flow, but instead went with a Wow like gear treadmill called fractals. I gave my input on fractals, I told them to remove them before Christmas, or I would be getting a refund.

What an odd post. It makes me wonder if you've played the game at all to be honest. Getting ascended rings (and only rings) in Fractals is of no resemblance to a WoW styled treadmill. You can get rings with slightly better stats than exotics. Period. And if you don't want to do Fractals you can do your dailies and get the rings that way.  WvW in GW2 does have ranks now which you can use to unlock WvW specific skills in addition to getting titles the other servers can see. 

I'll give you credit though... your last sentence made me giggle.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• IridescentOrkIridescentOrk Member Posts: 157
    level to 80 and move on

gameplay > graphics

• MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102

So far it has kept me interested.

Which is saying something since most MMOs can't even keep me interested enough to get to end game.

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

• tomis16tomis16 Member Posts: 9

I bought GW2 in November, and kept playing it till late april, when I left for two reason's: Lack of time, and because I also hit 80 in my main.

In my opinion, the End-game is casually oriented. You can do some dungeons, but you are not obliged to grind them. You can do som sPvP which is fun, but then it gets boring with the same 4 maps. You can do some WvW, this is something that i liked a lot at first, but then i realized that it was nothing but zerg-groups running against more zerg-groups. That's not fun. I find little if something strategy in that.  My point is, you can do loads of things, but you don't get a "end-game progression" at all. You just play till you get bored. I did that, had fun, and then left. Were my sixty bucks worth it? Well, I have more than 250 hours in it, and had plenty of fun in those hours, so yeah, it was worth it. Plus they continue to upgrade the game, and I can jump in from time to time to check the things out. I started playing again last week since the Dragon-bash event. The Dragon Ball arena is PLENTY of fun to me. At least for now. Also looking forward to checking the balance patch. I want to see how that affects my thieft.

My problem and why I didn't get really trapped by the game, except for the lore, which is kind of cool to me, is because when i finally got to 80 with my first char, I felt the same that being lvl 40. The scale sistem is major mistake for hardcore players, because it provides no satisfaction at all at being 80.

Another thing I didn't liked is that you practically look the same for what, 60 lvls? You don't have a sense of progression either by looking the gear (I'm not even talking about stats here). You have to play dozens of levels with the same looking armor. Yeah, you can die it, but I want better armors as a sign of beign Higher level that those that are just beggining the game. It's a sign of status. But no, they removed this. So, what I look forward to while leveling? Since most of things can be done from level 1, not much. Sure, the trip to 80 was cool, I enjoyed it, but I think that GW2 lacks something to keep you playing, and lacks a sense of being stronger at lvl 80.

Just my two cents. I keep playing very casually, but I'm looking for a new MMO right now. Shame, It had potential. Love'd the world.

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729

Unless your a spvp tourny champ, full best in slot gear, gotten a legendary weapon, have done every dungeon, 100% world completion, maxed out all craftings, finished the storylines, and seen every dynamic event, or dominate WvW for your server, do not tell me this game has nothing to do at level 80.  

Seriously, theres a ton to do in this game.  Lets break out of the moar dungeons = more content mindset because that's an awful one and should only be saved for degenerate WoW clones.   

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• PiechunksPiechunks Member Posts: 136
    Originally posted by Chrisbox

Unless your a spvp tourny champ, full best in slot gear, gotten a legendary weapon, have done every dungeon, 100% world completion, maxed out all craftings, finished the storylines, and seen every dynamic event, or dominate WvW for your server, do not tell me this game has nothing to do at level 80.  

Seriously, theres a ton to do in this game.  Lets break out of the moar dungeons = more content mindset because that's an awful one and should only be saved for degenerate WoW clones.   

Not the point of this thread at all. A lot of people gave a lot of good responses, particularly how the end game does not progress the actual power of your character, but just aesthetics.

The problem with what you mentioned is that it's completion for the sake of completion and not progression. You will be decked out in exotics by the time you're anywhere near 60% completion, so that 40% remaining (besides the luck in WvW required for it)  is just tedium and not challenging.

Completion for the sake of completion and nothing else is "achievement".

• VladamyreVladamyre Member UncommonPosts: 223
    Originally posted by Volkon

Some form of a treadmill is a good idea to a point. Wow based gear treadmills are bad, very bad. Player upgrade treadmills like Dark Age of Camelot's realm ranks were great, and GW2 dropped the ball when they didnt go with that flow, but instead went with a Wow like gear treadmill called fractals. I gave my input on fractals, I told them to remove them before Christmas, or I would be getting a refund.

What an odd post. It makes me wonder if you've played the game at all to be honest. Getting ascended rings (and only rings) in Fractals is of no resemblance to a WoW styled treadmill. You can get rings with slightly better stats than exotics. Period. And if you don't want to do Fractals you can do your dailies and get the rings that way.  WvW in GW2 does have ranks now which you can use to unlock WvW specific skills in addition to getting titles the other servers can see. 

I played every aspect of the game after it launched, got to 80, full completion, full exotics, legendary greatsword Twilight, then there was nothing to do. The pvp in GW2 isn't good at all. I don't like running around on the exact same maps over and over and over. Fractals was a big mistake on Anets part, especially when it went against their menifesto.  I have several screenshots of my character with the legendary back on page 3 or 4 for all those that say it didn't happen as well. There is no end game in GW2, once you do what I did, the game is over.

In a world of sharp knives, you would be a spoon.

• Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131
    Originally posted by Piechunks
    Originally posted by Chrisbox

Not the point of this thread at all. A lot of people gave a lot of good responses, particularly how the end game does not progress the actual power of your character, but just aesthetics.

The problem with what you mentioned is that it's completion for the sake of completion and not progression. You will be decked out in exotics by the time you're anywhere near 60% completion, so that 40% remaining (besides the luck in WvW required for it)  is just tedium and not challenging.

Completion for the sake of completion and nothing else is "achievement".

You missed the point GW2 is a skill based game ....once you hit 80 and gear up the only thing that can make you better is better skill level . There are lots of games where you can farm gear and run around on a treadmill , heck you don't even have to worry about pvp because the only reason anyone beats you is they have "Better Gear" What WOW and it's clones do is supply a crutch to poor players , if you want to call that end game so be it , but if you want to play a game where skill isn't handicapped by gear then GW2 is the end game to play .

• Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131
    Originally posted by Volkon

I played every aspect of the game after it launched, got to 80, full completion, full exotics, legendary greatsword Twilight, then there was nothing to do. The pvp in GW2 isn't good at all. I don't like running around on the exact same maps over and over and over. Fractals was a big mistake on Anets part, especially when it went against their menifesto.  I have several screenshots of my character with the legendary back on page 3 or 4 for all those that say it didn't happen as well. There is no end game in GW2, once you do what I did, the game is over.

I'd be interested in playing a game I never have to do or see the same map twice ...same deal for dungeons and battlegrounds . If you are playing such a game I'd sure like a link as that is where I'd head ,in fact I'd also come back to these forums tell the GW2 folks ,once you do what I did , the game is over . But as long as end game in other games remains gear farming treadmills and no-lifer gankfests and elitist shit heads I'll stick to GW2 .

• DaezAsterDaezAster Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Well it hasn't really been mentioned here but guild missions are pretty good for endgame content. I have had lots of fun with the guild rush and puzzles especially. Fractals was a blast for a while but got old though there have been talks of new content coming to fracs so that should be something to look forward to. I so agree with the wvw issues many mentioned but understand why all the maps are the same to keep it fair but they could have done this while giving them all there own skin. I still have plenty of fun playing so Im happy. :)
  • PiechunksPiechunks Member Posts: 136
    Originally posted by Bad.dog

You missed the point GW2 is a skill based game ....once you hit 80 and gear up the only thing that can make you better is better skill level . There are lots of games where you can farm gear and run around on a treadmill , heck you don't even have to worry about pvp because the only reason anyone beats you is they have "Better Gear" What WOW and it's clones do is supply a crutch to poor players , if you want to call that end game so be it , but if you want to play a game where skill isn't handicapped by gear then GW2 is the end game to play .

... lol ?

• kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759

Problems with gw2 endgame come long before endgame starts, and these are so fundamental to me that changing current endgame will have a small effect for me.

But some ideas are: Give me a reason to play, make it interesting, make other carrots than gear improvements - All this not only for endgame but for the entire game. Could make quests that allow alternative weapon combos not available otherwise. Now we are at it, scrap most of the boring combat mechanics and skills, make fights much more tactical and implement roles (not classes), out with gear vendering and game currency like Karma, in with mob drops and using drops for advanced crafting, out with the scaling system.. well to please my taste fundamental changes needs to be made so it will not happen but now it's said.

PvP is not really something I do much, but it would need much wider concepts than just taking territories and killing other players.