Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So let me get this straight, some of you want...

Comments

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by AticusWelles
    Better rewards in the frontier territory should be accompanied by greater risk in the form of PVP. 

I 100% disagree with this.  I dont mind having a frontier type zone, but the rewards should *never* be greater.

The reward is that PvP folks get their PvP fix.  Because if you put the best ore or whatever in a PvP only zone, then you are forcing PvP on PvErs.  However, you can have equal ore in both areas...or have the stuff you make off of the lumber in PvP area for PvP gear only.

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    i believe Smed has also noted recently on twitter that this game will not be "griefquest". so i think some of the folks touting their esoteric knowledge of what EQN will be like should probly relax till August at least, probly even till open beta.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    I want to have a choice of property that is protected by a military force in civilized territory, and property that is unprotected in frontier territory.

Just like the old west. Want civilized society with private property and safety? Stay on the east coast. Want a frontier lifestyle with hopes of striking it rich, but no guarantees of safety and protection? Head for the west.

I'm a firm believer that there should be enough land and content in these games to give people a choice. Better rewards in the frontier territory should be accompanied by greater risk in the form of PVP. I like the way Archeage is doing it. But that's just my preferred style. I'm sure its to middle of the road for extreme pvp'ers and extreme pve'ers who both want it their way and don't want any compromise at all.

In other words you want the option to PvP or not i.e. Consensual PvP.

Same as me.  Options are good, options give choices, options provide room for growth.  Forcing anything whether it be PvP or anything else is bad.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    One reason I don't think player made structures, at least in a non PvP sense, will be destroyed is because of the popularity of the current housing system in EQ2. I doubt an expanded system similar will be excluded from EQN, sandbox elements and all, but having it be destroyed just wouldn't make sense.

Yes I know EQN will not be the same as EQ2 but I think many aspects have been brought over. People spend hours and hours doing EQ2 housing and I can't see how that would work with the destruction of it.
  • hayes303hayes303 Member UncommonPosts: 430

There is no chance that this game with be FFA PVP. Look at Darkfall's original run, the first chalk of players got in, macroed their skills up and then commenced the nub farming. New players were rarely seen in the game as they were viewed as pinatas with no realistic chance of being left alone long enough to compete. AV finally had to reboot the game.

Games with these mechanics are griefer paradise. They don't bring in new players and the population tends to dwindle until its just the griefers feeding on each other. Sony isn't going to make their great white hope hobbled from the start by making it a ffa pvp grieffest.

• ice-vortexice-vortex Member UncommonPosts: 960
    Originally posted by Aelious
    One reason I don't think player made structures, at least in a non PvP sense, will be destroyed is because of the popularity of the current housing system in EQ2. I doubt an expanded system similar will be excluded from EQN, sandbox elements and all, but having it be destroyed just wouldn't make sense.

Yes I know EQN will not be the same as EQ2 but I think many aspects have been brought over. People spend hours and hours doing EQ2 housing and I can't see how that would work with the destruction of it.

I expect there to be player housing in the safe regions.

• AticusWellesAticusWelles Member Posts: 152
    Originally posted by strangiato2112
    Better rewards in the frontier territory should be accompanied by greater risk in the form of PVP. 

I 100% disagree with this.  I dont mind having a frontier type zone, but the rewards should *never* be greater.

The reward is that PvP folks get their PvP fix.  Because if you put the best ore or whatever in a PvP only zone, then you are forcing PvP on PvErs.  However, you can have equal ore in both areas...or have the stuff you make off of the lumber in PvP area for PvP gear only.

We will have to agree to disagree. IMO greater risk should always be accompanied by greater reward, and PvP zones are inherently more risky than non PvP zones.

PVEers can always buy the ore from others, or just play on an exclusive pve server (these should be included for people like you, as well as full PvP servers for the extreme PvP).  When its so easy to create rulesets for all three types of players, it behooves the publisher to do so, imo).

Also the same can be said about PVE people, they should be happy getting the thrill of downing the epic raid mobs, no need to reward them beyond the sense of accomplishment that comes from defeating the most challenging AI encounters in the game, after all they got their pve fix.  Which is nonsense of course...risk vs reward and all that jazz.

We will have to agree to disagree. IMO greater risk should always be accompanied by greater reward, and PvP zones are inherently more risky than non PvP zones.

PVEers can always buy the ore from others, or just play on an exclusive pve server (these should be included for people like you, as well as full PvP servers for the extreme PvP).  When its so easy to create rulesets for all three types of players, it behooves the publisher to do so, imo).

Also the same can be said about PVE people, they should be happy getting the thrill of downing the epic raid mobs, no need to reward them beyond the sense of accomplishment that comes from defeating the most challenging AI encounters in the game, after all they got their pve fix.  Which is nonsense of course...risk vs reward and all that jazz.

On that token I think in order for you to be able to access that PvP zone then you are required to spend 4 hours every day for 30 days straight fighting PvE scripted mobs.

Does that sound silly to you?  Because that's basically you forcing your views on someone else.  Options must include fairness, the accomplishment must come from the style you enjoy most.

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

Originally posted by azzamasin

On that token I think in order for you to be able to access that PvP zone then you are required to spend 4 hours every day for 30 days straight fighting PvE scripted mobs.

Does that sound silly to you?  Because that's basically you forcing your views on someone else.  Options must include fairness, the accomplishment must come from the style you enjoy most.

Every MMORPG I've ever played [with PvP] has forced pvpers to PVE to get some of/most of/all of the best rewards in the game.  Forcing pve'ers to PvP is no different.

But like I said, there should be pure pve servers for people allergic to PvP. 

• RedempRedemp Member UncommonPosts: 1,136
    Originally posted by Robokapp
    Originally posted by Redemp
    Originally posted by bcbully

a sandbox where you can build and decorate your houses/castles without fear of pvp.

Smed says everything can be destroyed. 

Do you want me to ask for your consent to destroy you house/castle?

In an Everquest game? Yes ... I want to give consent.

no. you want to NOT give it...

Don't assume I wouldn't want to PvP on my own terms, but that statements as correct as my own. I'm not sure what point you want to make?

• AntiquatedAntiquated Member RarePosts: 1,415
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    No, I want the Police/Military to protect me if you attempt to wantonly destroy my property and bring you to justice for your criminal behaviors while I reside inside the borders of my home town/country.

UCMJ for PVP? Rules of engagement?

Gamers; Discipline? Thought we were all anarchists at heart. Hey, Bob, didn't we sign up for the Anarchy ticket?

• clumsytoes44clumsytoes44 Member UncommonPosts: 463
    If you decide to destroy my house, castle, keep, etc please do not trample the lawn. In a game that has openworld full pvp, you gotta expect some yahoo is gonna come trash your stuff at some point. If Sir Yahoo the scrub decided to trash my place on a whim, turn about is very fair play I'll trash his place twice and ruin his lawn! And if needed I will find help to do so. :P
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

stop trying to make this into guild wars 3 Azz...

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"

Every MMORPG I've ever played [with PvP] has forced pvpers to PVE to get some of/most of/all of the best rewards in the game.  Forcing pve'ers to PvP is no different.

That's not the Players fault that is the fault of the genres defining feature i.e. character progression and role playing elements.  To remove those elements is turn an MMORPG into an MMOFPS or other type of genre.

And also most of those games have backtracked and instituted some sort of system for PvP progression and elements to give PvP their own set of items.

But yea I agree with you there should be either pure pve servers or some sort of mechanism to give PvE'ers their desired play choice.  Either through a flagging system, a factional allegiance system or something else.  As long as PvP is not forced I am fine with any and all types of PvP.

stop trying to make this into guild wars 3 Azz...

Where did I say I was?  I no longer play GW2 what I am looking for is a sandbox PvE game where PvP is either voluntary, optional or segregated.  I want an MMO that has lasting appeal, depth of gameplay, non linear open zones and full featured non-combat elements like Player Housing, Guild Housing, Politics, and robust progression systems......those timeless qualities I think most sandbox players can agree are required for a good game.

• EcocesEcoces Member UncommonPosts: 879
    Originally posted by Slampig

a sandbox where you can build and decorate your houses/castles without fear of pvp.

Yikes, hardcore "wolf" checking in, better batten down the hatches...

I thought I was a hardcore evil pvp killer until I spent 5 hours in jail for murder in Wushu... Well it was more like 10, I logged off then went to sleep. Woke up with 4:30 minutes to go...

I'm more of a politician and crafter now.

and thats the problem with that idea you can just log off and then log back on later and the debt is paid, where it would have taken me longer than 10 hours to get my house/castle of IN GAME TIME to get it how i wanted.

make it 10 hours of In game time and while in jail you have to do some menial task thats not macro-able. basically forcing you to PLAY the game in jail and making it so you can't just afk to do the jail time. so you can't just log off and go to bed after a destruction spree.

• Originally posted by azzamasin

That's not the Players fault that is the fault of the genres defining feature i.e. character progression and role playing elements.  To remove those elements is turn an MMORPG into an MMOFPS or other type of genre.

You can roleplay with PVP being equal to or the best path for character progression just fine.  Nothing in MMORPG says pve content has to provide the best or only path of progression.  

But anyway, all of that is besides the point that you are OK with forcing a group of players to play your preferred style but don't want them to force you into playing theirs. 

But once again I come back to pure pve servers, pure PvP servers and consensual PvP servers.  Nobody should be shoehorned into a play style they dislike. 

And also most of those games have backtracked and instituted some sort of system for PvP progression and elements to give PvP their own set of items.

But yea I agree with you there should be either pure pve servers or some sort of mechanism to give PvE'ers their desired play choice.  Either through a flagging system, a factional allegiance system or something else.  As long as PvP is not forced I am fine with any and all types of PvP.

OK then we can at least agree people should have a choice in their preferred play style.

• fyerwallfyerwall Member UncommonPosts: 3,240
    Originally posted by Ecoces
    Originally posted by Slampig

Yikes, hardcore "wolf" checking in, better batten down the hatches...

I thought I was a hardcore evil pvp killer until I spent 5 hours in jail for murder in Wushu... Well it was more like 10, I logged off then went to sleep. Woke up with 4:30 minutes to go...

I'm more of a politician and crafter now.

and thats the problem with that idea you can just log off and then log back on later and the debt is paid, where it would have taken me longer than 10 hours to get my house/castle of IN GAME TIME to get it how i wanted.

make it 10 hours of In game time and while in jail you have to do some menial task thats not macro-able. basically forcing you to PLAY the game in jail and making it so you can't just afk to do the jail time. so you can't just log off and go to bed after a destruction spree.

Make the punishment system based on active logged in time, forcing you to play a random generator game like Simon the whole time to make the clock tick down. Every time you fail time gets added to your sentence. Every time you log off the clock is paused till you return. That way the punishment is an actual punishment, you cant just AFK your time away and you can't just role an alt till your sentence is up. Then you will see how the PvPers react when the consequences for their actions actually hurt.

My bet is they will take to the forums in protest or move on to another game with easier penalties.

There are 3 types of people in the world.
    1.) Those who make things happen
    2.) Those who watch things happen
    3.) And those who wonder "What the %#*& just happened?!"

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749

You do know that in EQ, houses auto-self destruct if left unattended for long periods of time?  There are plenty of other ways to demolish abandoned houses other than through divisive pvp.

OK then we can at least agree people should have a choice in their preferred play style.

Never said otherwise.  I've spent the better part of this day speaking on the whole subject of consensual PvP.

• AntiquatedAntiquated Member RarePosts: 1,415

Never said otherwise.  I've spent the better part of this day speaking on the whole subject of consensual PvP.

Have you noticed: not one mind has changed?

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

as long as it has a main story so my character has any meaningful purpose inside the game, they can add every possible sandbox feature they want, even full world destruction and reconstruction if the story changes for good (as in never repeats that same event over and over) based on that.

No story = not installed on my pc.

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

It's like this... think of the real world.  Everything can be destroyed.   Do you need my permission to kill me or destroy my house?  No, you don't.  Yet there are enough consequences in place so that you haven't done it yet.

It's not always about permission.

At the end of the day, what  - I - want is for the virtual world to be similarly "rational" to the real world.  If you're going to be given the power to destroy my house, there should be sufficient consequences to prevent people from doing it randomly and for no reason.  Now, if it's too difficult to create those consequences, I suppose the easier way to build it is to just make it so i can give you permission and then you and i would have our own definition of what constitutes "reasonable" in terms of being able to fight.

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO