Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What type of PvP do you want in EQN

Comments

• ZarriyaZarriya Member UncommonPosts: 446
    thank you, i knew what option - i meant the problem is with the sample of the people being polled.  Not anything that we can do to control it. again, very well made poll :)
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Originally posted by Zarriya
    thank you, i knew what option - i meant the problem is with the sample of the people being polled.  Not anything that we can do to control it. again, very well made poll :)

Thanks =-)

• Trudge34Trudge34 Member UncommonPosts: 392

I'd like it to be 100% PvE based so they can concentrate on making that the best experience it can be without having to "balance" the classes for PvP. Don't think that's realistic, but I'd say the EQ1 model for this would be best. 3 PvP servers with different rule sets and the rest PvE servers. With EQ1 though, many of the classes were not balanced in PvP at all, so it was still a pretty rich PvE experience.

I'll get my PvP in other games that I currently play.

Played: EQ1 (10 Years), Guild Wars, Rift, TERA
    Tried: EQ2, Vanguard, Lord of the Rings Online, Dungeons and Dragons Online, Runes of Magic and countless others...
    Currently Playing: GW2

Nytlok Sylas
    80 Sylvari Ranger

• MaelwyddMaelwydd Member Posts: 1,123
    • PvP can happen anywhere.
    • A very detailed system of law (what is or is not a crime).

• A very detailed system of punishment (if a crime is commited what the punishment is).
    • A very detailed political system (to allow for nations, town, guilds and even individuals to classify other entities and how they will interact with them).
    • Tools to allow players to manage their owl land or area of influence (such as buildings, NPC/PC roles for enforcement) and to specify how they want law and punishment to be handled.

Example. You start is a starter city that is completely PvE controlled. They have a very heavy system of law where things like stealing or even attempting to steal are crimes. Murder and even just attacking others is punishable. Basically anything you can think of that has a detrimental effect on another person is a crime. Punishments for each crime are severe. Stealing for instance is the item or value of the item returned plus compensation that is withdrawn regularly. Murder means prison for 28 days (real time and spent logged in) plus compensation on gold. The laws are enforced by a jailhouse, prison, many guard stations, the town is surrounded by a big wall and guard posts at each entrance/exit. The town also has 20 positions open for PC guards who can capture criminals for a reward.

Head out into the wilds and you come across a player built town. Thw town has a town hall which means they can make laws for the town and local area. The owner has decided that Murder is bad but you can engage in duels (agreed PvP). He has done this by entering the towns law system (that increases in options as the town grows and get other facilities, such as jails and guard stations).

If you were to kill another player there are regular guard posts and the town has employed 20 NPC guards who will capture you if they can or raise the alarm for others to attempt to capture you. The town has a roughly 70% chance of capturing you based on money spent by the town, facilities in place and general placement of facilities. Because it has a prison it can actually throw you into it for the crime, smaller towns may need to transport you to a local prison which could mean getting free'd along the way.

This town is run by a guild who has declaired war on a rival guild. Should anyone from that guild be seen in the town's area of influence not only are they treated as a criminal but they are not protected by the laws. The only person excempt is one of the players who you have marked as an envoy for that guild who is allowed free travel in the town.

Further out you will find a town that is pretty lawless. The owner has decided that there are no laws for anyone except his own guild. The guards will attack anyone who enters their land who is set as an enemy and even a crime commited by a neutral is ignored unless it is against a member of the guild. Guild members are free to comit any crime on anyone else who is not listed as an ally of the guild.

• kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759

Only thing I would like to see is deep PVE mechanics. If PVP can fit under whatever PVE mechanics are made (like EQ was made), then I don't care too much what manner of PVP there is. I don't want great mechanics to die out for the sake of PVP balance, like so many other games. Well they make EqNext like they want it, so whatever we type here won't change anything hehe.

Great and detailed poll with choices for everyone btw.

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Originally posted by Trudge34

I'd like it to be 100% PvE based so they can concentrate on making that the best experience it can be without having to "balance" the classes for PvP. Don't think that's realistic, but I'd say the EQ1 model for this would be best. 3 PvP servers with different rule sets and the rest PvE servers. With EQ1 though, many of the classes were not balanced in PvP at all, so it was still a pretty rich PvE experience.

Same here, i can play ArcheAge and Age Of Wulin for my PVP fix.

Originally posted by SavageHorizon

EQN will most likely have a sub for full access and if you really wana play end game most guilds will expect that. Do you really wana sub 2 games. One for PvE and one for PvP? I know I dont have the time for that or the desire to pay that much =)

Originally posted by Maelwydd
    • PvP can happen anywhere.
    • A very detailed system of law (what is or is not a crime).

• A very detailed system of punishment (if a crime is commited what the punishment is).
    • A very detailed political system (to allow for nations, town, guilds and even individuals to classify other entities and how they will interact with them).
    • Tools to allow players to manage their owl land or area of influence (such as buildings, NPC/PC roles for enforcement) and to specify how they want law and punishment to be handled.

Example. You start is a starter city that is completely PvE controlled. They have a very heavy system of law where things like stealing or even attempting to steal are crimes. Murder and even just attacking others is punishable. Basically anything you can think of that has a detrimental effect on another person is a crime. Punishments for each crime are severe. Stealing for instance is the item or value of the item returned plus compensation that is withdrawn regularly. Murder means prison for 28 days (real time and spent logged in) plus compensation on gold. The laws are enforced by a jailhouse, prison, many guard stations, the town is surrounded by a big wall and guard posts at each entrance/exit. The town also has 20 positions open for PC guards who can capture criminals for a reward.

Head out into the wilds and you come across a player built town. Thw town has a town hall which means they can make laws for the town and local area. The owner has decided that Murder is bad but you can engage in duels (agreed PvP). He has done this by entering the towns law system (that increases in options as the town grows and get other facilities, such as jails and guard stations).

If you were to kill another player there are regular guard posts and the town has employed 20 NPC guards who will capture you if they can or raise the alarm for others to attempt to capture you. The town has a roughly 70% chance of capturing you based on money spent by the town, facilities in place and general placement of facilities. Because it has a prison it can actually throw you into it for the crime, smaller towns may need to transport you to a local prison which could mean getting free'd along the way.

This town is run by a guild who has declaired war on a rival guild. Should anyone from that guild be seen in the town's area of influence not only are they treated as a criminal but they are not protected by the laws. The only person excempt is one of the players who you have marked as an envoy for that guild who is allowed free travel in the town.

Further out you will find a town that is pretty lawless. The owner has decided that there are no laws for anyone except his own guild. The guards will attack anyone who enters their land who is set as an enemy and even a crime commited by a neutral is ignored unless it is against a member of the guild. Guild members are free to comit any crime on anyone else who is not listed as an ally of the guild.

So the whole game is based around forced PVP, yeah ok lol.

Might as well start crying now because that's not going to happen or anything remotely like it in this game imo.

PVE in an EQ ip taking second place to PVP, really!  I know Smed said EQN takes place in an alternate universe but what you are hoping is far, far away in a place called, hmmm lah, lah land.

• ElderRatElderRat Member CommonPosts: 899
    I chose 8 - other. I didn't see a Shadowbane option. Player built cities that form alliances and go to war with each other. PvP everywhere except the tutorial area and 1 "safe" city.  The "safe" city being where any npc's with pve quests would be. The rest of the game would be farming resources - be they crafting material or loot drops.  There will be gankers, there will be players who specialize in ganking gankers.  I know Darkfall tries this but I would like to see it done right. I guess I am of the Shadowbane 2 minority.

Currently bored with MMO's.

• nothuman24nothuman24 Member Posts: 36

I hope the game is designed around open-world pvp; the economy, political system, class balance, everything.

Obviously, you wont be able to have pve servers in such a game but I'm ok with that.

The poll sucks btw

Might as well start crying now because that's not going to happen or anything remotely like it in this game imo.

PVE in an EQ ip taking second place to PVP, really!  I know Smed said EQN takes place in an alternate universe but what you are hoping is far, far away in a place called, hmmm lah, lah land.

1st his is a hypothetical scenario so anything IS possible.

2nd there is a difference between forced PvP and possible PvP. It is all in the details.

3rd the OP asked what type of PvP do you want in EQN. The assumption is that there IS PvP so I used that assumption and gave my opinion.

4th you make a wild assumption that PvE will far outweigh PvP. Pure speculation and judging from posts made so far the indications are there is to be a major shift.

So all in all your crying is pathetic. We are discussing possibilities here so if you cannot handle the fact they this is all fantasy then you really need to leave the thread alone or get someone to help you undetstand the difference between actual reality and an active imagination.

Originally posted by Nanfoodle

EQN will most likely have a sub for full access and if you really wana play end game most guilds will expect that. Do you really wana sub 2 games. One for PvE and one for PvP? I know I dont have the time for that or the desire to pay that much =)

I have a great job working for my family business, i only work three days a week with my own office of which i can spend half the day online if i want. I go to the gym, have a social life, go to Ibzia for eight weeks of the season and have no problem subbing to two MMO's and taking my time playing them.

I intend to play EQN for years, i'm not in a hurry to gain the next new shiny, i'll also play ArcheAge/Wulin for some PVP kicks.

I play Vanguard and i've been a legacy beta tester in FFXIVARR all while playing Age Of Wushu.

Oh and i have a little girl as well.

Not everyone is the same or has the same amount of time to spare, and what's 30-40 freaking euros a month.

• sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187

Class balance for PvP in EQ2 never affected PvE i beleive because they had a player dmg value and a NPC dmg value so you could balance 1 without effecting the other.

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926

the whole server should have Age of Conans Blood and Glory ruleset. Great for a sandbox, but add full loot, not only one random loot from the victims inventory

I hope EQN= Triple A budget Darkfall

1st his is a hypothetical scenario so anything IS possible.

2nd there is a difference between forced PvP and possible PvP. It is all in the details.

3rd the OP asked what type of PvP do you want in EQN. The assumption is that there IS PvP so I used that assumption and gave my opinion.

4th you make a wild assumption that PvE will far outweigh PvP. Pure speculation and judging from posts made so far the indications are there is to be a major shift.

So all in all your crying is pathetic. We are discussing possibilities here so if you cannot handle the fact they this is all fantasy then you really need to leave the thread alone or get someone to help you undetstand the difference between actual reality and an active imagination.

Lol, do you really want me to answer this or laugh, think i'll actually laugh and say "thank you" for making me smile.image

Originally posted by nothuman24

I hope the game is designed around open-world pvp; the economy, political system, class balance, everything.

Obviously, you wont be able to have pve servers in such a game but I'm ok with that.

The poll sucks btw

LOL thanks =-) 

Originally posted by sanshi44

Class balance for PvP in EQ2 never affected PvE i beleive because they had a player dmg value and a NPC dmg value so you could balance 1 without effecting the other.

Big problem comes down to also things like CC, Stuns, AE heals would all need vales for PvP and PvE and sometimes even then they need to change them to make it balance for PvP. Heal classes is a big one thats hard to find a balance for both. What make a healer able to solo in PvE can make that class a god in PvP because of the heals/dps combo. 

Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by DMKano

Intelligent PvP with real consequences. If you kill another innocent player, you should be treated as a murderer by all.

It has to be meaningful, otherwise you have Dark fall, which has already be done to death.

Killing for the sake of killing is boring, it trivializes death and murder, and there are metric crapton of games like that already. Darkfalls PvP is not hardcore, its safe and familiar, death and killing have little meaning, as they happen a lot and players have extra armor sets, extra mounts..., its a safe predictable system in the end.

I hope EQN breaks the mold, and not have the same old tired PvP, that means nothing in the end.

Lol, Age Of Wushu/Wulin has already broken the mold, you just don't know it because you haven't played it.

1. http://uk.ign.com/wikis/age-of-wushu/Crime_and_Punishment

2. http://uk.ign.com/wikis/age-of-wushu/Imprisonment_System

I have played it, it doesn't go far enough, ArcheAge also has a jail and public trial system, it doesn't go far enough.

So no neither AoW nor ArcheAge really break the mold, they introduce punitive systems that again trivialize murder and turn it into a mini-game.

When you murder an innocent, there should be permanent consequences for your character, no games do this because they all treat is as another game system to be played and exploited. Murder should be so punitive that you literally would know that there is no going back for your character ever, it should be undesirable in the extreme.

just my opinion.

ArcheAge system is not as deep as Age Of Wushu from what i read and seen of ArcheAge and i'm not just talking about Age Of Wushu public trail system or jail.

What other mmo out now goes further than Age Of Wushu when it comes to player bounty's, consequences and criminal system?

Are you sure you have actually played the game and not just tried it for a few hours or a day?

Anyway can you tell me why the Age Of Wushu system does not go far enough? I think the system is as far as you can go without actually banning said players from the game.

Perhaps you can enlighten me on what you think is far enough and how far you would take EQN in this regard?

• Trudge34Trudge34 Member UncommonPosts: 392

Big problem comes down to also things like CC, Stuns, AE heals would all need vales for PvP and PvE and sometimes even then they need to change them to make it balance for PvP. Heal classes is a big one thats hard to find a balance for both. What make a healer able to solo in PvE can make that class a god in PvP because of the heals/dps combo. 

This ^^

Each class in EQ had it's own flavor really. If things are muddied up for the sake of balance, much of that flavor becomes stale and too much alike. It's happened in other games too. I've seen plenty of complains from PvPers about the two faction games that just have the mirrored classes from each side and how they wish the devs weren't lazy and do it right with different unique classes. Well...sometimes you get what you ask for when you want balance.

Played: EQ1 (10 Years), Guild Wars, Rift, TERA
    Tried: EQ2, Vanguard, Lord of the Rings Online, Dungeons and Dragons Online, Runes of Magic and countless others...
    Currently Playing: GW2

Nytlok Sylas
    80 Sylvari Ranger

Lol, do you really want me to answer this or laugh, think i'll actually laugh and say "thank you" for making me smile.image

Not that I really know you but I expect you to avoid my points, evade providing your own points and use personal jibes at me to move the thread along and away from my points....oh look.!

• nothuman24nothuman24 Member Posts: 36

I think old school Lineage 2's flag system was close to perfect.

-Player attacks another player = flagged for 30 seconds. (name turns purple)

-Player attacks flagged (purple) player = flagged for 30 seconds. (name turns purple). (Same goes for healing flagged player)

-Player kills flagged (purple) player = flagged for 30 seconds. (name turns purple)

-Player kills unflagged player = name turns bright red (chance to drop items upon death- equipped or inventory). Must die or gain a set amount of exp to remove the penalty. Cannot safely enter towns (safe zones) as npc guards will attack you and cannot interact with npcs.

-Player attacks or kills red player = no penalty :O (dont flag).

-Healing of buffing red player = flagged for 30 seconds.

This ^^

Each class in EQ had it's own flavor really. If things are muddied up for the sake of balance, much of that flavor becomes stale and too much alike. It's happened in other games too. I've seen plenty of complains from PvPers about the two faction games that just have the mirrored classes from each side and how they wish the devs weren't lazy and do it right with different unique classes. Well...sometimes you get what you ask for when you want balance.

I am of two minds on this topic. I really love the depth the classes has in EQ1 and I know balancing them for PvP can take some of that away but I find myself in a place I cant play 2 MMOs because of how much free time I have. So I really hope there is PvP in EQN. I think some hybrid of the DAoC model or ESO model would be the best fit to give PvPers a play space and pure PvPers would never get their toes stepped on.

Not that I really know you but I expect you to avoid my points, evade providing your own points and use personal jibes at me to move the thread along and away from my points....oh look.!

Personal jibes, what are you talking about. I said your ideas were way out in lah, lah land where the EQ IP is concerned. That was not a personal jibe but an opinion, don't take it personal lol.

But hey, i'll avoid you and you can avoid me, i won't quote you and you don't quote me.image

Back on topic i guess.

• radagast777radagast777 Member Posts: 80
    I feel like people are saying they want pvp just to get a rise out of true everquest fans
  • EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964

If they had a system like Star Wars Galaxies, I would be all for it.

You could PVE when you want and avoid conflict, however if you had a itch for PVP, all  you had to do is engage depending on what faction you were against your rival. The Temporary Enemy Flag (TEF) is what I liked in that kind of mmo.