Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hmm. Not so great.

14567810»

Comments

• MuruganMurugan Member Posts: 1,494
    Originally posted by SnarkRitter
    Originally posted by Murugan

I think you should recommend specific games which offer just as much, rather than making vague statements.

Rift, Neverwinter, LoTRO, TERA

All these games offer "just as much" and are free, I think many of us here have played them.  Yet we are playing FFXIV, to me that means that those games didn't offer just as much for free.  I don't think throwing money away is what attracts people to one game over another (unless you can throw your money at the game to get stuff because that is part of the game design like in f2p then you could make the argument that people play those games specifically so they can throw RL cash at it)

But maybe you know of a f2p MMO that is better than this game and we just don't know about it.  You would do us a favor by showing us why we shouldn't bother paying for what we can get better in a f2p MMO. 

I would recommend having a look at ArcheAge, recently gone F2P in Korea and most likely will also be F2P in the West. Yes I know it's sandbox but it offers many things that is similar to FF XIV and much more. And general reception so far has been nothing less than acclaim.

Oh btw admit it, many of  you are here mainly because it's Final Fantasy and not because this game offers more than others,you Murugan for example, you've been here fanboying this game since the game's still 1.0, when it was completely garbage and quite different from what it is today.

Okay Archeage, i haven't played it.  I'm not particularly interested but I may give it a shot.  I wouldn't say it has been nothing less than acclaim though as I HAVE read up on it quite a bit (being interested in MMORPG's and not having one to play for the last eight months). 

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/03/07/dont-believe-the-archeage-hype-lengthy-fan-review-warns/

http://www.lovesandboxes.com/2013/02/commentary-on-archeage-review.html

http://alttabme.com/forum/index.php?threads/archeage-don%E2%80%99t-believe-the-hype.2702/

http://www.aionsource.com/topic/135076-review-archeage/

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/topic/29363442/archeage-crashes-and-burns-on-the-independant-review-scene

I personally don't completely discount a game based on others perspectives.  I actually prefer to get reviews from "fanboys" because I play games to try and enjoy them rather than be grumpy.  I don't know if I'll give archeage a try because I will probably be playing FFXIV, but all of these people seem to give it a fairer review, much more detailed criticisms, and actually have their hands on the entire game.  Whereas you are already on the blind "fanboy" argument to prove why FFXIV fails after having played a limited beta and loaded your posts with assumptions that I don't see being based in any evidence.

I could call you an archeage fanboy but then we'd just be going back and forth.  I'm sure you disagree with these people about your game, I disagree with you about mine.  I do think though that Archage had its chance, and now it is getting a "localization" shopped out to Trion for the west which I think is sad.  I wish that the creators of that game had let people in the west play their game at its height rather than its downward spiral into F2P Korean MMO death (see TERA/Aion) while I'm sure they work on their next title.  I still probably wouldn't have played it, but it would have been so much better for fans like you if they cared as much about international audiences as Square Enix does with the worldwide release date for FFXIV in four languages from the start.

Also as for your personal attack on me as a fanboy because I have been playing this game since the original beta.  I liked many things about the game originally, I disliked some heavily.  I stuck it out because I have a wonderful group of friends to play with,a nd also because I enjoyed many aspects of the game.  I DISLIKED many of the changes they made to the game, but they won me over and now I wouldn't want to go back to the original.

I am a fan, but not a Final Fantasy fan, and not a person who doesn't have opinions of his own.  I may not even agree with many of the things I said a 1-2 years ago, but at least when I read my posts I can look at my reasoning since I try to explain myself.  If I wasn't me I could then make a decision to give the game a try or not.  But a lot of people on this forum did give FFXIV a try after Yoshida took over, I played with some of them, some of them sent me PM's on this site and elsewhere thanking me for turning them onto the game.

I don't post because I want Square Enix to be #1!!! I post because like many of us here I have been without an MMORPG and I want people to find a game they can enjoy, I enjoy this one so I post on this sub forum.  That makes me a fanboy to you, but to someone with an open mind they might read my posts and say "here is someone who actually plays the game and enjoys it, here is his reasons for enjoying it, I think I might give it a try.. or not".

• saiweedsaiweed Member UncommonPosts: 53

• saiweedsaiweed Member UncommonPosts: 53
    Originally posted by SnarkRitter

I think you should recommend specific games which offer just as much, rather than making vague statements.

Rift, Neverwinter, LoTRO, TERA

All these games offer "just as much" and are free, I think many of us here have played them.  Yet we are playing FFXIV, to me that means that those games didn't offer just as much for free.  I don't think throwing money away is what attracts people to one game over another (unless you can throw your money at the game to get stuff because that is part of the game design like in f2p then you could make the argument that people play those games specifically so they can throw RL cash at it)

But maybe you know of a f2p MMO that is better than this game and we just don't know about it.  You would do us a favor by showing us why we shouldn't bother paying for what we can get better in a f2p MMO. 

I would recommend having a look at ArcheAge, recently gone F2P in Korea and most likely will also be F2P in the West. Yes I know it's sandbox but it offers many things that is similar to FF XIV and much more. And general reception so far has been nothing less than acclaim.

Oh btw admit it, many of  you are here mainly because it's Final Fantasy and not because this game offers more than others,you Murugan for example, you've been here fanboying this game since the game's still 1.0, when it was completely garbage and quite different from what it is today.

arche age looks like fuckinggg shit for an mmo no quality at all just wayy too many features not properly worked out IMO also very UN IMMERSIVE have you fuckingg seen the screenshots of people  building completely modern stuff like that fake starbucks? the fuck? completely un immersive in a medieval MMORPG.  

looks absolutely horrible I would not play the game even if I got paid to do it It looks like absolutely no fun at all. and I have seen a lot of videos I wanted to like it but I just can not deny all the things that are and will go wrong with it.

not to mention the fucking cash shop we can expect holy fuckingg shit I can not believe you can claim either of these to offer the same things or even more for free but dont get me started on f2p and their crap quality and god damned cash shops

• tommygunzIItommygunzII Member Posts: 321
    I think many aspects of the game are very well done. If they stayed with the combat in the final v1.23 it would be almost perfect to me. Being a huge fan of FFXI, I like building TP and using skillchains in battle. Other than that it seems to be a good foundation for future development.
  • SnarkRitterSnarkRitter Member Posts: 316

Okay Archeage, i haven't played it.  I'm not particularly interested but I may give it a shot.  I wouldn't say it has been nothing less than acclaim though as I HAVE read up on it quite a bit (being interested in MMORPG's and not having one to play for the last eight months). 

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/03/07/dont-believe-the-archeage-hype-lengthy-fan-review-warns/

http://www.lovesandboxes.com/2013/02/commentary-on-archeage-review.html

http://alttabme.com/forum/index.php?threads/archeage-don%E2%80%99t-believe-the-hype.2702/

http://www.aionsource.com/topic/135076-review-archeage/

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/topic/29363442/archeage-crashes-and-burns-on-the-independant-review-scene

If you've read all these links you'd have know that only 2 of them are original reviews, the rest are more or less re-posts of the same reviews. I'd give you the benefit of doubt that you've not read them and just grabbed them off base on the titles, otherwise you were being less than honest.

I personally don't completely discount a game based on others perspectives.  I actually prefer to get reviews from "fanboys" because I play games to try and enjoy them rather than be grumpy.  I don't know if I'll give archeage a try because I will probably be playing FFXIV, but all of these people seem to give it a fairer review, much more detailed criticisms, and actually have their hands on the entire game.  Whereas you are already on the blind "fanboy" argument to prove why FFXIV fails after having played a limited beta and loaded your posts with assumptions that I don't see being based in any evidence.

And you assumed that positive reviews were not written from people who've played the games thoroughly? I can assure you that for every negative reviews of ArcheAge there are 10 positive ones. Pity that I have to go soon and don't have the time to give you the links. But they're not hard to find anyway.

I could call you an archeage fanboy but then we'd just be going back and forth.  I'm sure you disagree with these people about your game, I disagree with you about mine.  I do think though that Archage had its chance, and now it is getting a "localization" shopped out to Trion for the west which I think is sad.  I wish that the creators of that game had let people in the west play their game at its height rather than its downward spiral into F2P Korean MMO death (see TERA/Aion) while I'm sure they work on their next title.  I still probably wouldn't have played it, but it would have been so much better for fans like you if they cared as much about international audiences as Square Enix does with the worldwide release date for FFXIV in four languages from the start.

Also as for your personal attack on me as a fanboy because I have been playing this game since the original beta.  I liked many things about the game originally, I disliked some heavily.  I stuck it out because I have a wonderful group of friends to play with,a nd also because I enjoyed many aspects of the game.  I DISLIKED many of the changes they made to the game, but they won me over and now I wouldn't want to go back to the original.

I am a fan, but not a Final Fantasy fan, and not a person who doesn't have opinions of his own.  I may not even agree with many of the things I said a 1-2 years ago, but at least when I read my posts I can look at my reasoning since I try to explain myself.  If I wasn't me I could then make a decision to give the game a try or not.  But a lot of people on this forum did give FFXIV a try after Yoshida took over, I played with some of them, some of them sent me PM's on this site and elsewhere thanking me for turning them onto the game.

Nevermind that both TERA and Aion were bleeding subs heavily and on the before being saved by "spiraling into F2P Korean MMO death". AA wasn't even bleeding sub nor had any server merge before it went F2P, it was actually the 7th most played game in Korea, it was a combination of unrealistic expectation (They expected the game to overtake Aion) plus definitely input from Trion that led to it going F2P.

You have an unhealthy prejudice toward F2P, and toward "freeloaders".

Also if by your definitions I am not an AA fanboy because I have many major quirks about the game, namely: the lack of full-loot PvP, tab targeting combat, cat girls....etc....

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,407
    Originally posted by DAOWAce

Originally posted by Asm0deus
    Just because you like one  type of combat over another doesn't make it the golden age of MMOs.

[mod edit]

It's better because it's more fun, it's more involving, it's more reaction, and to a degree, twitch based.

That's what I mean by arcade style crap because that was what most arcade stuff was DuH! 

Its not wrong to like this kiind of game play anymore than it wrong to like gameplay that isn't reliant on  any of this. Fun is subjective therefore your "golden age of gaming or mmos" will be vastly different to mine  which in turn can can be different to other people etc etc. If you can't see this well..

Logic isn't your strong point is it.  You have grown bored of the old type of tab combat and keep going on and on and on about "action mmos". That's okay its your right to like or prefer one thing or type of game play over another but blindly claiming "action mmos" are the wave of the future and the "golden age of mmos" is just funny.

If you like action mmos all the more power to you but  please stop blowing smoke up our arses and try and tell us because we don't we are "wrong" and out dated or whatnot, take the damn crusade elsewhere and btw 

Neverwinter sucks badly, its adds adds and more adds at endgame. Anyone promoting that sad fail of game as an example of anything  needs his head examined. Crafting  is a sad joke made up by someone that doesn't know simple math, pvp is a farce, they're messing up pve game play for the sake of pvp and all the whine threads and can't even get content out without it being grossly and incompetently over bugged, helh they even had to turn off gauntlegrym as it so not ready like the rest of the game. Lets not even talk about all the exploits that we reported in the betas and they didn't do jack about.

It's one of those games you run through, get to endgame run that a few weeks then eff off to another game out of boredom.

Oh and the forums here work just fine if you know wth you are doing.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.