Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EQN bubble burst

2»

Comments

• exwinexwin Member Posts: 221
    Originally posted by Ginaz
    With soe's track record its hope for the best, expect the worst.  I hope it really is as good as we're being lead to believe but does anyone remember the last time soe tried to make a sandbox MMO (swg) and carry on the EQ franchise (EQ2)?  Neither of those games, while having a few high points,exactly set the world on fire.

Truth. All EQ fans can hope for is as quality of a game as EQ1, but remade.

At worst, and has a VERY high chance of being, is a PS with fantasy skins made to be ported to consoles with a soiled EQ1 name on it.

Gosh, I really, really hope for another EQ1, but my faith in SoE is so low, that not pre-ordering is the only thing I'm sure of.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Is life really so bad that you get your best jollies off others disappointment?

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• vesuviasvesuvias Member UncommonPosts: 151
    Originally posted by DocBrody
    Originally posted by lolunatic
    It'll be a fun bubble to see burst. thoughts? 

I´d love to see EQN as a hardcore sandbox becoming the most successful game of all times and the entire industry going "Oh damn we should have stopped making carebear games 5 years ago"

You know I've thought about the possibility that this could happen, however the hardcore contingent just doesn't seem to understand how those player punishing hardcore mechanics serve to drive players away not bring them in. If it did happen it would only be because its one of the few tolerable and available "Sandbox" games in the MMO space. And there is a market for "Sandbox" games (I really think Bartle missed the "Creator" type). It would be successful DESPITE being hardcore not because of it. This whole add more pain and suffering to my MMO is masochistic lunacy to most normal gamers. If it did happen, then history is pretty clear on exactly what would follow.

SOE would have once again lead with a great idea marred by poor design implementation and general player contempt. The Guys from Blizzard would play it, sanely love it for the right reasons, design an updated version that fixes everything that makes players actually hate the game and 3 years later we would have a 30 million player WoW 2.0 sandbox and this whole cycle of casual player hatred would start all over.

• Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Originally posted by Lobotomist
    Hating game before anything is known about it. Nice...

More like hating the hype is what I see, since as you say "..before anything is known about it..".

• kastakasta Member Posts: 512

I think they rebooted the project when SWG was officially laid to rest so they could steal the sandbox code from it.  I'm expecting an SWG type experience in a single large fantasy world.  EQNext will have classes, SWG pre-CU had classes, EQNext is promising player built cities, SWG had player built cities.  EQNext is saying open world pvp, SWG had open world pvp.  :D

• quseioquseio Member UncommonPosts: 234
    Originally posted by kasta

I think they rebooted the project when SWG was officially laid to rest so they could steal the sandbox code from it.  I'm expecting an SWG type experience in a single large fantasy world.  EQNext will have classes, SWG pre-CU had classes, EQNext is promising player built cities, SWG had player built cities.  EQNext is saying open world pvp, SWG had open world pvp.  :D

players are saying open world not the devs smiles or not he hasnt out n  out said there is going to be open pvp on all servers and you have no choice

Like ive said before if its open world pvp  we will probably have to  be redflagged  ala discord priests or its relegated to servers

• JustsomenoobJustsomenoob Member UncommonPosts: 880

I hope it's successful.   Not so much because it's Everquest but more because there hasn't been a fantasy AAA sandbox since...well has there ever been one?   does Ultima Online count as AAA? 

So my interest lies in whether or not the sandbox is actually a sandbox or a buzz word.   Guess we'll find out soon.

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912
    This doesn't seem like there's anything put forth to discuss or even debate. 

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

This discussion has been closed.