Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

General feedback from E3: It feels like Elder Scrolls

keithiankeithian Los Angeles, CAPosts: 3,042Member Uncommon

I've been reading a lot of feedback from E3 and generally speaking, 'almost' everyone who tried the game stated it feels like an Elder Scrolls Game. I'm not sure where certain forum posters are getting that its a GW2 clone, a WOW clone with Elder Scrolls Skin, Tortanic 2, etc, but that doesn't seem to be the reality of those actually playing. I could go and start posting every bit of feedback here, but the link I provided seems inline with not only several articles I have read, but also from leaked beta Q&As. 

http://www.denkiphile.com/2013/06/20/e3-2013-the-elder-scrolls-online-preview/

"I can assure you that ESO is not even close to being a copy & paste version of another MMO with an Elder Scrolls skin over it."

"The difference in using abilities as opposed to World of Warcraft or Guild Wars is that you don’t find yourself constantly clicking them."

"Having no visible action bar at the cost of having to memorize your keys (you can always view them again by opening a window) adds a real sense of immersion without all the clutter on your screen, just like in an Elder Scrolls game."

" Once you go around exploring Tamriel and talking to its inhabitants, it really starts to feel like an Elder Scrolls game."

Regarding customization: "ESO supports this fully by adding a lot of customization options, similar to Skyrim’s."

Now if you don't like Elder Scrolls or Skyrim, it doesn't seem like this game will be for you .For those of us that did, it seems like they are heading in the right direction with some obvious limitations being an MMO. I'll form a final opinion when I play it, but I'm excited about it.

 

 

 

There Is Always Hope!

Comments

  • aesperusaesperus Hamshire, NVPosts: 5,128Member Uncommon

    Many of the features the game has mimic those of the other games you mentioned OP (dynamic events for example). However, you're correct, it feels very Elder Scrolls.

    That said, a lot of posters on these forums seem to have very skewed ideas of what Elder Scrolls games actually are. Some seem to think Elder Scrolls games are full-blown sandboxes for example.

    As for the statements of it being 'Tortanic' or w/e, I think that mostly comes from how heavily Zenimax is sensoring previews of this game. It's like they don't want anyone seeing any footage of the game whatsoever, minus a few heavily edited previews approved by them. It shows very little confidence in the game, and as a result makes fans of the game feel less confident that the game will actually be good.

    It's easy to doctor a written preview of the game. It's much harder to take footage of a game that is genuinely bad, and try and edit it to make it look good. It's doable, but much harder. Furthermore it takes away excuses for not showing gameplay footage. I think (assuming the game is actually good), if they just let people start posting videos of the game (considering they have public demos at these convetions), it would go a long way towards shining a favorable light on this game.

  • trihastrihas Oregon, ORPosts: 4Member
    For the dynamic events, it's been there before it's just that for me Guild Wars to made it to mainstream, because of their effort on pursuing to make a dynamic innovative approach.
  • keithiankeithian Los Angeles, CAPosts: 3,042Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by aesperus

    Many of the features the game has mimic those of the other games you mentioned OP (dynamic events for example). However, you're correct, it feels very Elder Scrolls.

    That said, a lot of posters on these forums seem to have very skewed ideas of what Elder Scrolls games actually are. Some seem to think Elder Scrolls games are full-blown sandboxes for example.

    As for the statements of it being 'Tortanic' or w/e, I think that mostly comes from how heavily Zenimax is sensoring previews of this game. It's like they don't want anyone seeing any footage of the game whatsoever, minus a few heavily edited previews approved by them. It shows very little confidence in the game, and as a result makes fans of the game feel less confident that the game will actually be good.

    It's easy to doctor a written preview of the game. It's much harder to take footage of a game that is genuinely bad, and try and edit it to make it look good. It's doable, but much harder. Furthermore it takes away excuses for not showing gameplay footage. I think (assuming the game is actually good), if they just let people start posting videos of the game (considering they have public demos at these convetions), it would go a long way towards shining a favorable light on this game.

    I totally agree with what you wrote. I even made a thread voicing my frustration over the lack of gameplay videos from E3. I agree there is some mimicing (is that a word? lol) from other games, but in the end, if it feels like an Elder Scrolls game with the ability to FINALLY play with others, be a multiplayer feel or more grand MMO feel, I can't wait because that Multiplayer Mod that was released was a disaster and not even 1% of the multiplayer feel this game will hopefully have.

    There Is Always Hope!

  • gervaise1gervaise1 .Posts: 2,065Member Uncommon

    Zenimax will show what ESO is when they are ready but they have basically said it isn't an mmo - whatever one of those is.

     

    All Elder Scrolls games have been massive as far as land mass goes and open world. And it will be on-line. But so what?

    Assassin's Creed has multi-player on-line play; ditto CoD, B3, Halo etc. none of them are called mmos.

    Yet several mmos are pretty limited - instances with no more than 10 people say. Hardly massive open world play.

     

    Instances - created by SoE for EQ lomg ago have changed the game. And I think ESO will be more Assassin's Creed on steroids than WoW / rift etc.

     

    And when it comes to mimicking Matt Frior was a co-creator of DAoC so ....

     

  • svannsvann san jose, CAPosts: 1,638Member Uncommon
    meh.  Oblivion had dynamic events before gw2.
  • SovrathSovrath Boston Area, MAPosts: 18,452Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by keithian

    I've been reading a lot of feedback from E3 and generally speaking, 'almost' everyone who tried the game stated it feels like an Elder Scrolls Game. I'm not sure where certain forum posters are getting that its a GW2 clone, a WOW clone with Elder Scrolls Skin, Tortanic 2, etc, but that doesn't seem to be the reality of those actually playing. I could go and start posting every bit of feedback here, but the link I provided seems inline with not only several articles I have read, but also from leaked beta Q&As. 

     

    Well, it depends. It's possible that it's just a different build and it's possible that it's more "about" where a player is coming from.

    at PAX East I went in with a guy I had met in line. After coming out my response was "it sometimes feels elder scrolls and sometimes feels GW2 and sometimes just feels like a standard mmo". His response? "cookie cutter mmo".

    Now to be fair, the stuff we saw that day was pretty standard mmo fare. It wasn't until my second day where I experienced the 'something more"

  • faxnadufaxnadu HelsinkiPosts: 940Member Uncommon

    maybe its time to make movement that those " twats " who still uses that new mmo is clone of this and that needs spanking.

    simple as that every god damn new game either mmo or not is a somewhat clone of what came before. so just saying can everyone who uses word clone of " insert game here " shut the **** up.

     

    on the topic im glad it feels like elder scrolls.

  • KuanshuKuanshu Des Moines, IAPosts: 272Member

    Elder Scrolls was and should be considered a series of Single Player RPGs which surely draw upon a great deal of lore and a vast world that has evolved over the years much as technology has evolved of the years.

    No matter how rich and in depth the hisstory of the Elder Scrolls may be inside the game or outside looking at its evolution, its being converted to a MMO

    So many MMOs out there and so many in development...

    I played Oblivion and Skyrim and so did my son and we really enjoyed playing it together as I couldn't hardly bring myself to playing single player RPGs since I experienced Everquest in 1999.

    I play MMOs for the community and working with a group or a raid as a team

    I've played alot of the biggest titles in the MMO genre and I have involved myself into some of the huggest timesinks imagineable doing so...

    Its high time we move from these huge timesink MMOs to more of a community feel (which I feel has been lost for quite some time) and being part of a team instead of standing out as an individual and a hero of sorts

    In DAoC and on Albion; I was recognized as a Hero and I was the first player in the entire game to Realm Rank 7 yet it did not matter whatsoever as all of our keeps and relics were overrun and taken by a more organized team comprising of team players who understood you need organization and you need your realm. Hibernia had an excellent guild as a part of its Realm yet even an entire guild of experienced MMO PvP players couldn't motivate the rest of the realm they were a part of and they lost all their keeps and relics before Albion. I tried my best to motivate and inform Albion as I was a Briton Scout and performed my role as best as possible and playing as many hours as I could manage (was laid off from my job) yet that didn't suffice and I had never participated in a game as competitively since simply because one can only do so much. Midgard strategically and tactically organized and overtook every other realms keeps and relics because it was motivated by a powergaming guild who realized they couldn't win without their realm. I was such a team player even though I was considered otherwise by many I performed my role as a scout and I was the last man standing in the last keep in the last room right next to the last relic they needed to take for supremecy and control of all keeps and relics. I will never put so much effort into an MMO as a player simply because if you do not have cooperation, organization, teamwork, communication, motivation, etc...no matter how hard or long you play or even your guild plays everyone in your realm or on your alliance will suffer defeat together, as it should be...

    I went into detail concerning my experience in DAoC because this game is being developed by developers from DAoC and I assure you this is going to be Elder Scrolls and DAoC evolution co-production borrowing and learning from other MMORPGs

    Ya'll best heed my advice because I speak not only from experience but from observation and actually putting though more then most would consider putting themselves through when it comes to MMOs

    Elder Scrolls Online is an MMO no matter what ya'll want;as far as the previous Elder Scrolls experiences you may hold dear throughout the years this game is an MMO. So its high time you started looking outside yourselves and your small worlds and see the big picture, which includes more then your mind can grasp.

    We are all in this together and until we fully realize this we will suffer in our own ways together or we will persevere and overcome together.

  • keithiankeithian Los Angeles, CAPosts: 3,042Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Kuanshu

    Elder Scrolls was and should be considered a series of Single Player RPGs which surely draw upon a great deal of lore and a vast world that has evolved over the years much as technology has evolved of the years.

    No matter how rich and in depth the hisstory of the Elder Scrolls may be inside the game or outside looking at its evolution, its being converted to a MMO

    So many MMOs out there and so many in development...

    I played Oblivion and Skyrim and so did my son and we really enjoyed playing it together as I couldn't hardly bring myself to playing single player RPGs since I experienced Everquest in 1999.

    I play MMOs for the community and working with a group or a raid as a team

    I've played alot of the biggest titles in the MMO genre and I have involved myself into some of the huggest timesinks imagineable doing so...

    Its high time we move from these huge timesink MMOs to more of a community feel (which I feel has been lost for quite some time) and being part of a team instead of standing out as an individual and a hero of sorts

    In DAoC and on Albion; I was recognized as a Hero and I was the first player in the entire game to Realm Rank 7 yet it did not matter whatsoever as all of our keeps and relics were overrun and taken by a more organized team comprising of team players who understood you need organization and you need your realm. Hibernia had an excellent guild as a part of its Realm yet even an entire guild of experienced MMO PvP players couldn't motivate the rest of the realm they were a part of and they lost all their keeps and relics before Albion. I tried my best to motivate and inform Albion as I was a Briton Scout and performed my role as best as possible and playing as many hours as I could manage (was laid off from my job) yet that didn't suffice and I had never participated in a game as competitively since simply because one can only do so much. Midgard strategically and tactically organized and overtook every other realms keeps and relics because it was motivated by a powergaming guild who realized they couldn't win without their realm. I was such a team player even though I was considered otherwise by many I performed my role as a scout and I was the last man standing in the last keep in the last room right next to the last relic they needed to take for supremecy and control of all keeps and relics. I will never put so much effort into an MMO as a player simply because if you do not have cooperation, organization, teamwork, communication, motivation, etc...no matter how hard or long you play or even your guild plays everyone in your realm or on your alliance will suffer defeat together, as it should be...

    I went into detail concerning my experience in DAoC because this game is being developed by developers from DAoC and I assure you this is going to be Elder Scrolls and DAoC evolution co-production borrowing and learning from other MMORPGs

    Ya'll best heed my advice because I speak not only from experience but from observation and actually putting though more then most would consider putting themselves through when it comes to MMOs

    Elder Scrolls Online is an MMO no matter what ya'll want;as far as the previous Elder Scrolls experiences you may hold dear throughout the years this game is an MMO. So its high time you started looking outside yourselves and your small worlds and see the big picture, which includes more then your mind can grasp.

    We are all in this together and until we fully realize this we will suffer in our own ways together or we will persevere and overcome together.

    Thank you for the post, it was a good read though I didn't understand what your last couple of paragraphs regarding the fact that it is an MMO has to do with this thread and who you were targeting when you said "which includes more then (its actually 'than') your mind can grasp. I totally agree with what you said about community and I hope this game brings more of that RPG community back. I'm a little concerned about your expectation because you mentioned raids and this game doesn't look like it is targeting the raid community (thank god). It seems to be targeting smaller groups (of 4) except in PVP where there will be hundreds.

    There Is Always Hope!

  • KuanshuKuanshu Des Moines, IAPosts: 272Member

    Oh I am sure there will be Raids: PvP Raids and yes PvE Raids

    Somewhere along the development of this MMORPG the fans of Elder Scrolls need to start coming to the realization this is a Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game and though it may be set in an Elder Scrolls world its going to be both a themepark and a sandbox for many to immersive themselves into its rich lore, landscape, and diversity with at least on par with Skyrim graphics that should run alot smoother on the next generation consoles (PS4 and Xbox One)

    MMORPGs need to bring gameplay for the player to want to continue playing over months and years in order to be truly successful. Alliance vs Alliance could prove to be a very interesting dynamic, set in the Elder Scrolls world. Daedric forces could surely lead to good share of group/raid scenerios and events. Oblivion and Skyrim had expansion packs as I am sure Elder Scrolls Online will have as well.

    Im sure we will see more then Elder Scrolls and Dark Age of Camelot in the feel of this game when it is released Spring 2014 (at least 9 months from now)

     

     

  • BelegStrongbowBelegStrongbow Pasadena, MDPosts: 281Member

    Another way to look at it is how Square Enix is making ff14 Realm Reborn feel like a Final Fantasy Game. 

     

    Essentially they are taking Themepark systems like WoW or GW2 and slapping Final Fantasy theme over it. 

     

     

    OP your just implying that the Theme layer they are applying over the Themepark systems is REALLY good!   That's great and all but it does not change the fact that this is a Class system game with Soft lock action combat and Themepark systems.  No elder scrolls game required you to choose a class or defined path.  That's the key Sandbox system missing.

     

    Just cuz they have voice acting, Elderscrolls themed user interface and content does not make it any less a Wow clone. 

     

     

    EDIT:  I am not saying this is a bad thing.  Because essentially the Elderscrolls theme itself carries a lot of sandboxy style.  And yes Oblivion really made Dynamic events mainstream.  This can still be the most epic game ever made.  Just like the one guy said we need more Gameplay vids.  I am just trying to state that I do not disagree with all the negative backlash,  I just do not find it as negative as they do

  • keithiankeithian Los Angeles, CAPosts: 3,042Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by BelegStrongbow

    Another way to look at it is how Square Enix is making ff14 Realm Reborn feel like a Final Fantasy Game. 

     

    Essentially they are taking Themepark systems like WoW or GW2 and slapping Final Fantasy theme over it. 

     

     

    OP your just implying that the Theme layer they are applying over the Themepark systems is REALLY good!   That's great and all but it does not change the fact that this is a Class system game with Soft lock action combat and Themepark systems.  No elder scrolls game required you to choose a class or defined path.  That's the key Sandbox system missing.

     

    Just cuz they have voice acting, Elderscrolls themed user interface and content does not make it any less a Wow clone. 

     

     

    EDIT:  I am not saying this is a bad thing.  Because essentially the Elderscrolls theme itself carries a lot of sandboxy style.  And yes Oblivion really made Dynamic events mainstream.  This can still be the most epic game ever made.  Just like the one guy said we need more Gameplay vids.  I am just trying to state that I do not disagree with all the negative backlash,  I just do not find it as negative as they do

    It was actually me that posted that thread about more gameplay vids :-) lol. Anyway,again, I haven't played the game, so everything I'm basing this is off of feedback from those who have. They stated it feels like an Elder Scrolls game. Yes, they needed to adapt certain things to fit an MMO, so for example, players can't stand there and block players from entering a door because you can't walk through NPCs in a single player game. If they made it so you couldn't walk through other players, that would suck. I saw people being annoying in Age of Conan blocking entrances to zones just for fun. They had to do soft lock because melee versus projectile would be so imbalanced when trying to aim at real players versus NPCs.

    Whats important is that the exploration feel, the lore, the ability to choose any skill despite the class you choose, the general combat, first person, picking things up all over the place, the artistry, side things to do, quality of PVE questing, etc, the core elements in general seem to feel like  Elder Scrolls. If they had to make some sacrifices to adapt it to an MMO feel, thats fine as I expected there would be differences between a Single Player Game and MMO. However, stating it is a WOW  clone or doing what Final Fantasy is doing to me is just not listening to the feedback. I don't know how you can say this is a generic class system like WOW when you can pick a mage and still wear heavy armor and swing a sword.

    There Is Always Hope!

Sign In or Register to comment.