Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TESO soulds a lot like GW2

2»

Comments

• CthulhuPuffsCthulhuPuffs Member UncommonPosts: 368
    Originally posted by Draftbeer
    I still don't understand why is this game named after Elder Scrolls.

Nobody would be interested and it wouldnt sell if it was called The Ancient Tablets Online.

Bringer of Eternal Darkness and Despair, but also a Nutritious way to start your Morning.

Games Played: Too Many

• HoiPoloiHoiPoloi Member UncommonPosts: 98
    Originally posted by Diablito
    Originally posted by Shadanwolf

GW2 is a ok pve game...crafting is a nightmare.... and a certified looser with its WvW.

ESOL started out with some great words  about what the game would be and not be.Those words are quickly turning to ash with the decisions being made  during it's development.

GW2 is one of the most popular mmo's in todays market, and WvW is known as the most important part of the game that keeps the playerbase steady (and even growing). So why do you find WvW making GW2 a 'certified loser'? That *you* personally didn't like it? Have you ever played the game (for more than 3 minutes)? *sigh* 

There are a lot of problems with WvW, but they are overcome by the sheer excellence of GW2's basic systems.  The game is just a joy to play, with smoothless on the same level of WoW.

But things like:

1) AoE damage limit to 5 people (same for healing/support).  This favours the zerg disproportionately.  (ESO will have no limit, but hard counters -- was discussed in a recent Ten Ton Hammer interview)

2) The "Downed State" - anyone can rez in combat.  Again this favours the zerg, as more hands can get people up.  It also hampers the skill solo player. (ESO will only allow certain specs to rez in combat).

3)  Over-emphasis on siege.  I really hope ESO doesn't make this mistake.  GW2 just buffed siege, and now siege just trumps all fights, again lowering the skill level.

4) Broken Stealth.  Stealth is always controversial, but GW2 allows restealthing in combat.  This means stealth is low risk, high reward.  From what I've read, stealth in ESO will require trade-offs.

5) Maps are far too small in GW2, again favouring the zerg.   Shouldn't be a problem in ESO.

6) Lack of viable Alternative Advancement or some kind of gear/stat progression in WvW.  Shouldn't be gamebreaking or OP, but there should be something.  Instead we have WXP that allows you to increase your siege skills.  Argh!

If GW2 corrects all these things before ESO launches, I would be tempted to stay in GW, simply because we have such a great WvW community on Tarnished Coast.  Somehow I doubt it will happen though.

Rithwis, Righteous Golem of Camelot | Skritha, Orc Archer of Tamriel | Bloodwod, Sawbones of Auraxis | Thrumdi, Blue Norn of Tyria | Gwidwod, Spider of the Ettenmoors | Gideon Slack, Hunter of Alsius

• KuanshuKuanshu Member Posts: 272
    Originally posted by nerovipus32
    To be honest i think Everquest Next has stolen most games thunder.

Alot of hype mainly by the CEO of the company behind the first 3D MMORPG and big blockbuster title Everquest and in one of the biggest black boxes I have witnessed, which will be unveiled first week of August; Then we will see if Everquest Next has really stolen the thunder, won't we...

• azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    Originally posted by HoiPoloi

There are a lot of problems with WvW, but they are overcome by the sheer excellence of GW2's basic systems.  The game is just a joy to play, with smoothless on the same level of WoW.

But things like:

1) AoE damage limit to 5 people (same for healing/support).  This favours the zerg disproportionately.  (ESO will have no limit, but hard counters -- was discussed in a recent Ten Ton Hammer interview)

2) The "Downed State" - anyone can rez in combat.  Again this favours the zerg, as more hands can get people up.  It also hampers the skill solo player. (ESO will only allow certain specs to rez in combat).

3)  Over-emphasis on siege.  I really hope ESO doesn't make this mistake.  GW2 just buffed siege, and now siege just trumps all fights, again lowering the skill level.

4) Broken Stealth.  Stealth is always controversial, but GW2 allows restealthing in combat.  This means stealth is low risk, high reward.  From what I've read, stealth in ESO will require trade-offs.

5) Maps are far too small in GW2, again favouring the zerg.   Shouldn't be a problem in ESO.

6) Lack of viable Alternative Advancement or some kind of gear/stat progression in WvW.  Shouldn't be gamebreaking or OP, but there should be something.  Instead we have WXP that allows you to increase your siege skills.  Argh!

If GW2 corrects all these things before ESO launches, I would be tempted to stay in GW, simply because we have such a great WvW community on Tarnished Coast.  Somehow I doubt it will happen though.

1)  You'll have to find where a dev said that, because last I heard ESO was going to limit AOE to 5 allies/foes. So they changed it or you misunderstood something.

2) Anyone can rez, but you have spend a soul gem. Templars have a passive with a chance to get a soul gem back (you still need to raise that skill up and buy the passive).

6) ESO will have PvP skill lines that pretty does the same thing as GW2 WXP. It even have an Emperor skill line, for the lucky few.

• GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245
    Originally posted by Diablito
    Originally posted by Shadanwolf

GW2 is a ok pve game...crafting is a nightmare.... and a certified looser with its WvW.

ESOL started out with some great words  about what the game would be and not be.Those words are quickly turning to ash with the decisions being made  during it's development.

GW2 is one of the most popular mmo's in todays market, and WvW is known as the most important part of the game that keeps the playerbase steady (and even growing). So why do you find WvW making GW2 a 'certified loser'? That *you* personally didn't like it? Have you ever played the game (for more than 3 minutes)? *sigh* 

Fanboi's of one game always burn down the competiton they don't like it's sad but truth.

• KatlaOdindottirKatlaOdindottir Member Posts: 144
    It's a 2013 game being pushed back to 2014 because of consoles etc, I think it's going to flop big time. By the time this comes out, there will be EQ:N, Repop, substantial news on WoD.

www.daneslaw.com

@GamerKurisu

Awaiting Darkfall Unholy Wars

Originally posted by KatlaOdindottir
    It's a 2013 game being pushed back to 2014 because of consoles etc, I think it's going to flop big time. By the time this comes out, there will be EQ:N, Repop, substantial news on WoD.

Have you been on the forums here for Everquest Next? LOL

No one knows jack about the game until the first week of August during SOE Live

Pushing back ESO is a genius move imo, as is releasing on the next gen consoles...which I figure EQN will do being a SOE Product

Best to bank on multiple titles so that no matter what your going to have something entertaining to play either way

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729

Their game won't last as P2P if this is the case.  The relation to GW2 is also strong here, not sure how you can't see that.

Still gonna test it, and see what it's worth, but I see this as being a game where you can pick up put down and come back to every so often just like skyrim.  That being the case, a B2P pay model would be the smartest choice in case your reading this zenimax.    

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by Rhazmuz

This game will blow GW2 out of the water (for me, personally) simply because to it having action combat (Not boring tab target hot bar combat of gw) and having a more defined trinity set up, which will make group content so much more enjoyable and accomplished.

Add in the ES setting, and ESO will simply be a much better game.

This time exactly one year ago, people were saying GW2 was going to blow literally, everything out of the water. Even our paradigms.

Maybe we should kinda hold off and see what ESO really blows out of the water. For all we know it could turn out the only thing that blows is ESO itself.

Originally posted by Chrisbox

Their game won't last as P2P if this is the case.  The relation to GW2 is also strong here, not sure how you can't see that.

Still gonna test it, and see what it's worth, but I see this as being a game where you can pick up put down and come back to every so often just like skyrim.  That being the case, a B2P pay model would be the smartest choice in case your reading this zenimax.    

F2P with cash options is where the whole MMORPG Genre is going as it only makes sense in this economy...B2P is a thing of the past as its not hard for big companies to profit through sales over multiple platforms, ads, and mini transactions on their F2P Model

Skyrim may be an Elder Scrolls title and the most recent one at that, yet Its a single player game nonetheless and in that aspect will not compare to an MMO in many aspects. Single Player games just do not entertain me in any way really as much as MMOs and the only way I could enjoy the Elder Scrolls games in the past was with my son.