Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hell Levels

2»

Comments

• Trudge34Trudge34 Member UncommonPosts: 392
    As long as the leveling curve is steep enough I can do without hell levels, or at least scaled back a bit. Last thing I want is for the leveling process to be just a hurdle to get over to get to the good stuff.

Played: EQ1 (10 Years), Guild Wars, Rift, TERA
    Tried: EQ2, Vanguard, Lord of the Rings Online, Dungeons and Dragons Online, Runes of Magic and countless others...
    Currently Playing: GW2

Nytlok Sylas
    80 Sylvari Ranger

• ice-vortexice-vortex Member UncommonPosts: 960
    Originally posted by Ppiper
    Originally posted by ice-vortex
    Originally posted by TribeofOne
    leveling should take MONTHS even for the most hard core.. if we must have levels at all

agreed. It essentially takes leveling out of the prime component and returns game play to its focus.

Why should leveling be the focus?

that's the opposite of what I wrote

I know what you said, but it would make it the focus. When all you do is non-stop leveling, it inevitably becomes the focus. It was the focus in Everquest when people would spend 'just a little longer' to achieve their level, only to then lose it by dying and then having to go at it again.

Yeah, leveling is the focus in a level based game but if it takes three months to get to level 10 as it did when I played EQ, you actually have time to play the game and look around instead of looking at your XP bar. 

Uh, the opposite actually. When you have a limited time to play, you spend every bit of that time being as efficient as possible. Even though I had a lot of time back then, I didn't look around. I camped the same spot for hours on end, looking at the same boring terrain, until I leveled and then I moved on if it was possible.

• BeyornBeyorn Member UncommonPosts: 366

I don’t see how you can call hell levels a bug.  The community knew there where hell levels and the developers denied it for a year or two.  Then they admitted it and removed them. 

Similar to the xp bonus that certain race/class combos got over others, they denied that as well until later.  I think a human rogue was one of them.  It is hard to remember that far back to the beginning of my time in EQ1.

Verant and later Sony at the beginning didn’t feel they were accountable to anyone since they had the corner on the market.

• MMO-ManiacMMO-Maniac Member Posts: 176

So, folks want hell levels and very slow leveling.

Where's all the content going to come from to keep you clowns from going "OMG, All I do is grind this same boring content over and over and over, this game sucks. I've never been so bored!"

• AzothAzoth Member UncommonPosts: 840
    Originally posted by MMO-Maniac

So, folks want hell levels and very slow leveling.

Where's all the content going to come from to keep you clowns from going "OMG, All I do is grind this same boring content over and over and over, this game sucks. I've never been so bored!"

It's a sandbox game, so the content should be comming from all around

leveling should take MONTHS even for the most hard core.. if we must have levels at all

agreed. It essentially takes leveling out of the prime component and returns game play to its focus.

I know what you said, but it would make it the focus. When all you do is non-stop leveling, it inevitably becomes the focus. It was the focus in Everquest when people would spend 'just a little longer' to achieve their level, only to then lose it by dying and then having to go at it again.

Yeah, leveling is the focus in a level based game but if it takes three months to get to level 10 as it did when I played EQ, you actually have time to play the game and look around instead of looking at your XP bar. 

Uh, the opposite actually. When you have a limited time to play, you spend every bit of that time being as efficient as possible. Even though I had a lot of time back then, I didn't look around. I camped the same spot for hours on end, looking at the same boring terrain, until I leveled and then I moved on if it was possible.

not me. Never really thought about leveling. I just played the game and actually enjoyed it much more than the next gen games where you watched the xp bar fly and everything was level centric. I think EQ was revolutionary in that it slowed the pace down even though it didn't knowingly do so, that was just how a game was designed back then. I get camping, believe me, did my share of that. Camping Othmirs etc. I didn't just play the game,, the game played me, as well. 

I just think you are looking at your experience through the rose colored glasses of nostalgia.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • VyntVynt Member UncommonPosts: 757

Hell levels weren't a bug. It was intended. Later on when they spread out the exp needed to level, it just made all the levels longer. Felt it more in low levels though. When I was doing the progression server, like the first 20 levels felt like hell levels, instead of a few later on lol.

I don't care about hell levels either way, just like I didn't care then. Actually kind of felt good when you got passed that hell level, felt like an accomplishment. Then were like, ok, just another 30 minutes before I log because I want a cushion, just in case! Think I only died once and lost my level after finishing a hell level, but wasn't that bad after a rez.

not me. Never really thought about leveling. I just played the game and actually enjoyed it much more than the next gen games where you watched the xp bar fly and everything was level centric. I think EQ was revolutionary in that it slowed the pace down even though it didn't knowingly do so, that was just how a game was designed back then. I get camping, believe me, did my share of that. Camping Othmirs etc. I didn't just play the game,, the game played me, as well. 

I just think you are looking at your experience through the rose colored glasses of nostalgia.

quite possibly. I have played almost every MMORPG since EQ and a slower leveling path is really all I want. You race through these games, maybe start another toon and then come here and complain there is no end game, not enough content. So, yeah, I want a slower paced game regarding levels. I actually would like to play a game for more than a few months.

What I think most people want is that old experience back. The problem is that really the old experience was from nothing more than the freshness of the MMORPG. Now, as experienced gamers, we know how to level efficiently and we know where to get all the information to quickly accomplish it. Large open worlds are no longer a new experience. No amount of steep leveling curve is going to change this.