Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[General Article] Dragon's Prophet: Review In Progress #2

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Now that E3 has wrapped up, we can once again pick up our Review in Progress series as it applies to Dragon's Prophet. In this week's article, we talk about the level 20ish doldrums. See why we say so before lending your voice to the discussion in the comments.

Let’s start with the bad from this week so far: questing and all around adventuring in Dragon’s Prophet is a chore, folks.  Like TERA before it, there’s just not a lot novel about the way you comb through the game’s content.  You run to town, collect a bunch of quests, run out to marks on your map, kill a bunch of stuff, and then go back and repeat.  If you’re a fan of the old school grinding away on mobs, and don’t mind running back and forth, you’ll be fine in Auratia’s content.  But me? After a week spent playing games like Elder Scrolls and WildStar, and seeing and hearing the future of MMOs in Destiny, EQNext, and The Division... same old-same questing just doesn’t really cut it anymore.

Read more of Bill Murphy's Dragon's Prophet: Review In Progress #2.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• kabitoshinkabitoshin Member UncommonPosts: 854
    MMO's need to step it up, questing needs to be a highlight of an MMO. Can't wait to see what games like Destiny and The Division bring to the table. Not really a big fan of sanbox games but I want to try out EQNext, played runescape for 2 years and had alot of fun doing whatever I wanted to do.
  • Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713

This is the inherent problem with most Asian MMOs. They don't really try to hide the grind at all. From what I've seen playing beta FFXIV might be the one exception.

DP is a cool game and I keep logging in wanting to enjoy it more. But I find it's "adventure" far to lacking.

• black_isleblack_isle Member UncommonPosts: 258

"After a week spent playing games like Elder Scrolls and WildStar, and seeing and hearing the future of MMOs in Destiny, EQNext, and The Division... same old-same questing just doesn’t really cut it anymore."

Yes, truly the end of the post-wow era and it's about damn time for everyone i guess. Too bad for some of the big games that came out at the end and got burned immensely, lol.

• SomeHumanSomeHuman Member UncommonPosts: 560

I'm in total agreement with the review, especially the part about under-leveling content.  I cleared my first map in my 20's, doing 30+ quests.  I was bored and stuck, so I turned to achievements, collecting, and helping others.  It was about then I got distracted back to "THE MMO SEARCH."

I also agree with the expectation of an evolved game.  Adding one new concept (RIFT, TERA, Darkfall, GW2) to an ancient model is no longer enough.

Gaming since 1985; Online gaming since 1995; No End in Sight! My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8POVoJ8fdOseuJ4U1ZX-oA

• MasterDCTMasterDCT Member UncommonPosts: 39
    I have a lv 38 character and stopped playing weeks ago as the game gets boring when u get to lv 35 +. There are less and less quests, only a few each lv. The mobs are oddly over-leveled and hit really hard. I had a blue two handed weapon lv 38 and enchanted all the way until only 4.5% success on the next attempt. It would take a few combos to kill mobs. It becomes almost pure grinding.  The dungeon is nothing interested just straight forward. Just my opinion
  • WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

Well, so far I've played to level 25. I like the dragon collection system, but the training system needs much more information.  The quest system is the same thing we've seen for years and years now.  The graphics aren't bad, but nothing really stands out.  I like the active combat system, and the mix of dragon talents is fun.  But they are way too fond of knock downs and stuns.

Over all, the game has potential, but they've cut way too many corners. One of the more obvious is that the game doesn't auto scale its resolution (which means that controls are off screen).

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549
    Originally posted by Fendel84M

This is the inherent problem with most Asian MMOs. They don't really try to hide the grind at all. From what I've seen playing beta FFXIV might be the one exception.

DP is a cool game and I keep logging in wanting to enjoy it more. But I find it's "adventure" far to lacking.

I agree.

OP good honest review. I feel ya!

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• MimzelMimzel Member UncommonPosts: 375

Hmm a game that makes you kill mobs without quest? Omg, it actually sounds like a game for me. I hate quests, and I have good memories from FFXI just finding a grind spot with friends and chat and kill mobs all afternoon. No place in the game did it say: "when you're this level, go there and lfp" and so on. You had to ask other players.

In Norway we have a saying: "The butt is divided, and so is taste". It kinda applies here I think :)

• faiyofaiyo Member Posts: 123

What about the people who don't care about FPS MMOs? Or we supposed to be care about The Division and Destiny? Don't get me wrong, the games look interesting and all but it annoys me that it's brought up in almost every thread like it's going to effect everyone.

• GormokGormok Member Posts: 379

The reviewer doesn't mention the public event system, nor the fact that grinding mobs for xp is the worst way to try an level. Mobs do not give enough xp to make grinding a viable option, yes you can level via quests but most people in game do the public events. Because the first time you do an event for that day you get a ton of xp that will give you at least 2 levels, and there is anywhere from 10 to 14 in a zone. A lot of people made it to level 60 just by doing these PE's some quests direct you to them and others you have to find on your own. So the statement of there being no exploration in the game is hogwash as well, but we are in a generation of give it to me now mmo players, that do not take the time out to do these things. 

They log into these games see quest givers and than proceed to run from quest hub to quest hub without looking for anything else. This game you really do not have to quest to level, but it's good for those that like to follow the lore of a game. Which many mmo players couldn't give a rat's behind about. To me I feel that the game is really unrewarding for the time and effort you would put into it, and the RNG is really horrible. Plus the fact that rare dragons are not longer rare since any and everyone can get them via flutes. There are a lot more things about the game that I do not like but I will not go into that, however it is still better than a lot of F2P games that out now.