Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

(Poll)Microsoft changed its mind, have you?

spankybusspankybus Member UncommonPosts: 1,367
This question is targeted at the detractors, myself included. Now that Microsoft has reversed its drm and online policies, how many have decided to buy an Xbox One?

Frank 'Spankybus' Mignone
www.spankybus.com
-3d Artist & Compositor
-Writer
-Professional Amature

Comments

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    What is your answer? I myself have had the system preordered from Amazon and that wont change. I may get a Wii U later since Nintendo is back to being focused on games.
  • spankybusspankybus Member UncommonPosts: 1,367

To be honest...maybe. Not at launch though, maybe not for awhile. I won't lie, I have serious concerns that they may enact those policies via an update after a few million units have sold.

either way, no rush for me...still have a beast of a PC for now.

Frank 'Spankybus' Mignone
    www.spankybus.com
    -3d Artist & Compositor
    -Writer
    -Professional Amature

Originally posted by spankybus

To be honest...maybe. Not at launch though, maybe not for awhile. I won't lie, I have serious concerns that they may enact those policies via an update after a few million units have sold.

either way, no rush for me...still have a beast of a PC for now.

I feel you on that for sure. Even though I also have a beast of a PC I am still a huge fan of console games.

• VideoJockeyVideoJockey Member UncommonPosts: 223
    Nope. Not interested in a device that is always listening and must check in with MS every day.
    Originally posted by VideoJockey
    Nope. Not interested in a device that is always listening and must check in with MS every day.

The online check in is gone but its still listening to your every move.image

• culley65culley65 Member Posts: 77
    Originally posted by VideoJockey

Did you not read the article? The need to have it online is gone, period. If you're not connected to the net, who can be watching?

• BraindomeBraindome Member UncommonPosts: 959
    Once I see a game that doesn't make me puke on my shoes....maybe.
  • ABRaquelABRaquel Member UncommonPosts: 541

They took the one thing that had me most interested in, Shared Family thing has been gutted with their DRM reversal, which is a shame.

With that I'll stick with the PS4, if they implement the Shared Family plan down the road, I'll consider the X1 again.

• TsumoroTsumoro Member UncommonPosts: 435

Not interested in honest, I am a gamer and I normally buy all consoles. But just bad dealings with Microsoft and all this recent news has left me sour. I initially bought an Xbox 360 first because it was cheaper to get straight into 'next gen' with it. However, after a year I got the RROD. Pain in the ass, had it repaired which took a while, then after a month, it got RROD again. 

Being a hassle I bought a new one, this one lasted about a year and a bit and though and behold... RROD appeared. Got it fixed, then about 6 months went by and the CD tray stopped working. Got Microsoft to come deal with it, which took a bit of talking about which was more hassle than it was worth. THEN I had it for just 3 freaking days! Then RROD! I said "nope, thats it for me". 

However because I was so pissed about it, a family member later on got me one of those black slim edition XBOX's one christmas. The cheap one I imagine. Opened it up Christmas, one week later, problems with the machine reading discs. I didn't even bother calling Microsoft. I still have all three machines, a reminder of the problems I've had with the Xbox 360. Of course, my situation is unique not many people are like me with the problems in question. Oddly, I have just one XBOX and that still works fine today. As does my Gamecube, N64, Dreamcast even my freaking Commodore 64 for christs sake!

I also bought my PS3 when I first put my '1st' Xbox in the shop as I didn't want to be without gaming. I actually bought this second hand from a shop called CEX for £120 quid. In all that time, I have not had ONE issue with it. 

Now moving on to recent news, I simply do not trust Microsoft. I think their ethics are appalling. Firstly they come out with all this crap about DRM, always online etc and think its a nice slice of pie we have to eat. Even make remarks and jokes about XBOX 360 being their 'offline' console. THEN I imagine considering PS4 had such a huge PR buff and Nintendo talking about pre-owned games. In addition to the public out cry and general bad press including Publishers not looking to touch the issue with a ten foot clown pole they are now back peddling. 

This is NOT Microsoft listening to their consumers, this is them trying to catch up in the console war competition to which they have been sorely lagging behind. 

They made the very VERY GRAVE mistake of trying to make their consumers 'adapt' to their business model. Then, when that didn't work out too well for them NOW they are all "We do this for you guys" klinda nice guy attitude. It is deceptive and insidious and repugnant as to how much like cows they think we are, grabbing our teats and trying to desperately milk us as much as possible. 

Microsoft is a business I understand, they need to make money. But, the slice of pie they wish to eat is not to better us both, them as a business and us as a consumer, it is for the only purpose of trying to flush as much cash out of us as possible. 

Microsoft were looking to make some HUGE bank through the second hand market, they wanted in on the action. This 'protection' for the publishers was always nonsense they were going to take a slice of the action. That is all that was, publishers would get some money for the second hand games, so would they. 

Although I would honestly like to think they learned their lesson I do have creeping fears that part of them feel that their ideas were 'too' radical a change for the outset and will look to slowly bring it out under different projects etc. I am betting it will start with all Microsoft funded games and then slowly creep on from there. 

Perhaps I am jaded. But, I think I shall just stay with Sony and Nintendo for a good while and only much much later, perhaps a couple of years later see how Microsoft stand before I invest in them again. 

• FelixMajorFelixMajor Member RarePosts: 865

I gave up on console gaming a long time ago.  Went through 7 360's that all had various problems, most were ROD.  Finally got a ps3 just two years ago as if I hadn't learned my lesson with the 360.  Played the Uncharted series, they were awesome. Wasted loads of money on other shitty games hoping to find some good console games like the good old days, naahhh.  My ps3 now serves its time as a very obnoxious and expensive dust collector and sometimes when I am feeling fat and sassy, a netflix portal.

IF, and IF I even bother with this round of consoles, it will be the ps4, possible even that Uno thingy.  Ain't no way in town I am touching the Xbox.

Originally posted by Arskaaa
    "when players learned tacticks in dungeon/raids, its bread".

• MultibyteMultibyte Member UncommonPosts: 128
    I still don't trust them. After selling enough, they may simply install the DRM with a software update. I certainly will not buy it at launch, will wait and see what happens.
  • AlthewiseguyAlthewiseguy Member Posts: 108
    Wasn't interested in anything 1 had to offer before. This hasn't changed my stance on it.  The fact they thought the initial sales pitch was acceptable in the first place is mind boggling. 
  • Kaijin2k3Kaijin2k3 Member Posts: 558

Maybe. NOT at launch. I want to see how their policies change (or not change) as time progresses forward, and I want to see how they continue communicating with their consumer base as well.

Sony during the PS3 launch were arrogant as all hell (though not as bad as this was), but they have since changed the way they approach things.

I'm willing to give Microsoft's Xbox division at least the same shot, but it won't involve buying at launch.

For the record, if the DRM policy had not changed, I'd still be firmly in the "no way" camp.

Didn't vote in the poll though since there was no neutral-type option.

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

Seeing how i never felt i had to not get a XB1 because they are bad at PR, being a thinking individual i read up on the actual features and found that the XB1 was both future proofed and could actually do more then just play games.

But i guess it is nice that they got rid of the DRM, seeing how console players seem to have a need of being held by the hand. As a PC players i have never been able to resell my games once played (in modern time at least) So for me it was a non-issue.

But i guess a lot of the "haters" will use this as a excuse to explain why they bought a XB1 once they realise they want something more then just a game console =P

This have been a good conversation

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

Wasn't planning on getting either one before, and still not planning on it.  The DRM stuff was not deterring me from doing it though. 

Whichever one fits what I want the best, I will get, if I ever do get one.  If the MS ecosystem works nicely with windows 8 and offers something that makes it stand out, then I would get it....If the extras or media stuff aren't anything that interest me, then it would be games...

My ps3 is a blu ray and Netflix player 99.9% of the time as it stands now.

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401

MS has been delivering fail after fail for the last year.

My trust in them is rapidly moving towards zero...

• ozmonoozmono Member UncommonPosts: 1,211
    They didn't need to convince me so I couldn't vote. I had no problems with the DRM. The extra money was 50 bucks only in my country because for some reason Sony cannot undercut them for the same amount here. I imagine most games worth getting will be designed with the lowest common denominator as far as hardware is concerned so I don't expect the ps4's extra specs to be very noticeable. All this combined with the fact I wanted a kinect made me already willing to pay 50 bucks extra.
  • maxjammaxjam Member UncommonPosts: 44

Nope, not changed my mind, already pre-ordered a PS4 :)

I was weighing up between the Xbox One and the PS4 and tbh whilst I'm a gamer (mainly PC) and will play games on it I'll be using it as a blu-ray player as well. The Xbox One is probably better in this regard and its tv streaming capabilities but MS has managed to turn me away as a customer already - and lets face it its obviously something they want to try and bring in, who is to say that they won't change their minds again later after everyone has bought an Xbox One or bring it in through the backdoor.

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546
    I'lle wait 'till after launch and see how it goes. PS4 is, however, going to be a day-1 purchase.
  • ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426
    PS4 still looks like a better deal. Besides, I dislike them for trying to enforce those policies in the first place. So, no, I haven't changed my mind. If I'll buy a console, it'll be a PS4.
  • ArakaziArakazi Member UncommonPosts: 911
    This is probably academic since all forms of physical media such as blue ray will become increasingly rare as publishers will look towards streaming games and content over the net. It's been years since I bought a physical copy of any PC game, and buying or hiring a DVD to watch a movie is becoming rarer. Console games seems to be the last place were physical media still rules.
  • MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

Think we can all be proud on what we as gamers have achieved.
    Where would microsoft maddnes realy end if this went trough ?

It will take a looooong time for them to regain faith from people, some will not even consider the xbox one anymore.
    They have done insane amount of damage to themselves.
    And they deserved it.

Sony will be victor in this war before it even starts.
    And they havent done anything special just show games and a few new features of the PS4.

disabling DRM doenst have much effect on the outcome anymore, people just lost faith in this company, their greed, their arrogance, the childish behavior towards Nintendo, and the list goes on and on with arrogance and mistakes.

They got what they deserved, now they can swallow the pain they wanted to unleash upon the gamers.

• LaserwolfLaserwolf Member Posts: 2,383

You're missing the option stating that I'm now less interested in purchasing the Xbox One. I was one, of what I expect is the silent majority, of people who didn't care about any of their "controversial" features. In fact, I was actually excited about the 24 hour internet check and the included Kinect no matter the additional cost. Now the cloud computing, one of the few truly "next generation" features of the system, will be nothing more than just a gimmick. Instead of developers relying on the technology to greatly increase the number of enemies, items, or other players on the screen at once, it'll just be used to maybe slightly increase the polygon count for those with a connection.

Maybe gaming technology will be allowed to finally advance beyond just graphics in another 5 years...

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

It's not just their policies. The XB1 is more expensive, has weaker hardware and isn't focused on gaming.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• RictisRictis Member UncommonPosts: 1,300

My biggest issue with MS is their focus. I don't care about a TV enhancement system, I care about a gaming system. I realize that Xbone can play games but to me it seems M$ was more focused on everything other then gaming. While the PS4 was focused on gaming and everything else became secondary.

What M$ did was lose the trust of its users by not only infuriating them by placing strict policies, but by coming out and saying yes we heard what your saying, and if you dont want to always be on buy on 360. Then when they saw no sales they decided to go back and change it.

What stops M$ from coming back 1 or 2 years later and re-implementing their original ideas after initial purchase sales? Their TOS clearly states that they have the ability to change their offerings at any time. I think that if M$ was truely trying to change the industry for the better they would have stuck by their guns and forced it on consumers. The problem here is that by pulling out of their original restrictions and doing a 180, it proves that they just did it for the money and nothing else. That worries me as a consumer because that means that later down the road there is a big possibility that they will just change back to what their initial plans were.

In my personal opinion I am not touching the Xbone because M$ has officially lost my trust. I usually buy both consoles because I like the variation in games, not specifically for the exclusives. After M$ pulled this though, I don't trust them anymore. Sony has proven to me so far that they are in it for my best interests while keeping theirs in mind as well.