Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will SWTOR ever recover?

Comments

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926

SWG was so much better. Shame it's gone and no chance for a sequel.

SWTOR recover? No, it is what is and all they do is more of the same and some minor polishing here and there. No one's going to turn the wheel around.

• WylfWylf Member UncommonPosts: 376
    Originally posted by kuey
    In a word... No. The game only had high initial subs due to hype but lost them due to a failure to meet expectations. You'll see periodic spurts in numbers when new content is released, but only for short periods since the end-game problems still remain. Reworking the end-game to make it more appealing is just too much of a costly enterprise at this stage. If you're sitting back waiting for something or someone to come along and fix it up, sorry to say but  you're in for a long wait.

Kuey is absolutely correct.  The only modification I would add is due to an epic failure to meet expectations. OP you asked a question and here is the correct answer. There will always be fans who will see what they want to see and not recognize reality. So ignore them, listen to Kuey and move on.  :-)

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

At this point...I hope not.

MORE heads need to roll.

• simpliussimplius Member UncommonPosts: 1,134
    Originally posted by versulas

Having dropped the $$ on the CE, you have NO idea how much I want this game to make a comeback, but nothing I've seen so far has given me the slightest indication that there's a light at the end of the tunnel; that significant changes or improvements are coming.

Really, the only redeeming quality it has is the story, which, when content updates are few and far in between, kind of defeats the whole purpose of playing an mmo.

They also need to stop thinking linearly and give us more to do. Turn Coruscant into something more than a quest hub. Put in player housing, player-owned businesses, arcades, a friggen gladiatorial arena - whatever it takes to fill the streets with players and then we can get some real targets for bounty hunters to chase, real trade orders from dedicated crafters and buyers to be carried out by actual player-operated smugglers trying to avoid playable enforcers/troopers.

Let players' decisions affect the game world. Give us a vote and the ability to become politicians, hiring player assassins to kill your rivals. Have the empire send in regular assaults on major landmarks so you get massive battles and siege opportunities, you could even allow imperial agents to act as spies or paint targets for artillery volleys. Allow us to command fleets of merchant corvettes, patrol craft, pirate marauders. If they even brought in a fraction of the features they toted in beta, this game could beat anything on the market.

As it is, it looks like we'll have to be satisfied with their current attempts to keep afloat. They don't appear to have the clout or the resources to make any of these things a reality. 

what you are asking for, is basically turning a theme park into a sand box game

good luck, with getting  a budget for that

and even if they had the Money,,do they have the skills to do it?

they chose themepark over sandbox way before launch, because nobody  would fund

a sandbox game with such a big budget, and IP

• iFruitiFruit Member UncommonPosts: 98
    I used to REALLY want it to recover/transform/whatever. I gave it over a year of my time, invested heavily etc. Then one day I just uninstalled. No point in hoping EA is going to authorize real effort put into it. Not much hope for Disney/Pixar to do something worthwhile with the whole Star Wars franchise alltogether. No George Lucas = no real Star Wars, just a bunch of EArs pretending to be fat Hutts selling loads of crappy "smuggled" armor skins.
  • GanksinatraGanksinatra Member UncommonPosts: 455

I love how the overwhelming consensus is that this game is a fail pile in a sadness bowl, yet a handful of fanbois come here and claim, without ANY proof whatsoever (all while claiming those that dislike the game did the same), that their game is thriving and amazing. The game sucked. I wanted it to be good SOOO bad, but it was really, really bad. The end game was ridiculously stupid and simplistic. The community was full of WoWtards who switched over to be the new elitist asshats on the newest game. Leveling, outside of the class stories, was repetitive and boring. 

You can continue to claim your game isn't a coiled, steaming pile of crap, or you can admit it wasn't what it should have been, stop throwing good money at bad, and vote with your dollars, effectively forcing EA to make changes and stop bending you over with the cartel shop.

• GreatPhoenixLordGreatPhoenixLord Member Posts: 11
    I doubt that the game will ever recover. It was sadly doomed from the start. Knights of the Old was a single player game, so was Knights of the Old II. Making an MMO sequel was a pathetic idea doomed for failure. Making it a P2P was even worse. People payed to beat it then quit. Its subscriptions dropped below half before 90 days even. It died before they really got much going. Ewoks won't save the game, Darth Maul couldn't save it much at this point. It might recover, but the chances are much lower than if they'd have just made it a single player game
  • DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926
    the saddest thing of all is even the fabled SSSSSP can't save them anymore, everyone was waiting forever for a great online space sim, now all the money and fans went for Star Citizen and Elite Dangerous which are both likely to release earlier than Bioware, they don't even have a damn screenshot to show, nothing, nilch, nada. What a bunch of losers, epic fail decisions wrong priorities amateurs. I could have done a better SW MMO hiring a team of professionals with one 10th of the budget, no kidding.
  • simpliussimplius Member UncommonPosts: 1,134

yup,,not one screenshot

strange, since one of the devs claims to have tried, it, and that "it was fun"

considering, when the first makeb details got out, and when makeb launched,

Theres your perspective on SSSP

hell maybe NASA will beat them to it in real life

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529
    Originally posted by Ganksinatra

I love how the overwhelming consensus is that this game is a fail pile in a sadness bowl, yet a handful of fanbois come here and claim, without ANY proof whatsoever (all while claiming those that dislike the game did the same), that their game is thriving and amazing. The game sucked. I wanted it to be good SOOO bad, but it was really, really bad. The end game was ridiculously stupid and simplistic. The community was full of WoWtards who switched over to be the new elitist asshats on the newest game. Leveling, outside of the class stories, was repetitive and boring. 

You can continue to claim your game isn't a coiled, steaming pile of crap, or you can admit it wasn't what it should have been, stop throwing good money at bad, and vote with your dollars, effectively forcing EA to make changes and stop bending you over with the cartel shop.

The 'majority' will always appear negative (even if they are not), no matter the subject.

The link in my signature actually explains why.

People are voting with their dollars and last I checked, EA's financial statement has SWTOR in a favorable position.

Don't like that fact? Tough.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406
    Originally posted by Fruxy
    Originally posted by DamonVile
    It's failing or you want it to be failing.

I just see the population falling.  I'd rather see if raising, not falling. but EAWare seems to want it decreasing by lowering the MMO scope, thus less people play - or less people want to log on with a smaller scope.

Bioware never fixed the engine anyways after 2 years?  what gives.

Why study charts? I play every night on Jung ma, which is supposedly the lowest population server, and there are tons of folks in fleet. There are plenty of folks for pvp and groups don't take long to form for flash points. Are you seeing less people in game? Or just on those charts? Cause I feel like I see more folks in game now then this time last year. A lot more.

• OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

I really don't consider myself a "fanboi"... Odd spelling there btw...I'm just currently playing the game and having fun. I also don't see a lot of people saying the game is "amazing", just saying they are enjoying it. Unlike a lot of folks around here, I don't feel the need for the game I'm currently playing to be the best game on the market by consensus. I just need it to provide me with enough enjoyment that I want to log on. When I stop having fun, I move to the next game. Unlike you, I don't see the need to come here and trash a game. But good luck with all that.

• RudyRaccoonRudyRaccoon Member UncommonPosts: 475
    I've been playing this game for a few weeks now and I love it, the whole game is like a story that sucks you into the Star Wars universe, I actually enjoy this game more than World of Warcraft because WoW doesn't have a story with whatever character you play. So what if it's not as popular and has less players, I don't care if the game has haters who think the game is poor since the the game's launch, it's still a better game than WoW as I for one prefer quality over quantity.
  • War_MachineWar_Machine Member Posts: 22
    I'm playing everyday still having fun, this will never be your ffa open world pvp full loot gankfest sandbox that the majority of the complainers on this site want it to be. You already have a game like that its called EVE go play it.

Get busy living, or get busy dying. That's it.

• LowcaianLowcaian Member Posts: 265

My personal take is that it isn't very good. It's like they took SWG, made all planets like Kashyyyk and removed everything but combat. I've tried it out for two months now and I am not impressed. I literally can't  cross a ditch if the devs happened to think I had to go around it.

The quests that's supposed to be the big selling point aren't impressive either. Once you see through the fluff you realize it's the same go there kill 20 NPCs or click on 3 buttons as every other game has.

It was fun the first 20 levels but then it started to feel like when you've had to much candy. The voiced quests started to irritate me.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by Fruxy

This game just seems to fall and fall and fall with no end in sight.

Fleets that were once popular with 3 X 250 players are now populated with 1 X 150 players (sometimes 2 X), the downsize is because EAWare determined that, as everyone already knew, their engine sucks ass, so to make the game playable, smaller numbers of players are necessary in any zone.  EAWare capped zones at 150 players instead of 250.

This is primetime.  I wondered if it was just my server, and http://www.torstatus.net/shards/us/stats confirms my observations.  Last I checked servers were around 3.0+ or at least 2.5+ (TorStatus numbers) .. now they are struggling to keep above 2, with many servers in the dead region.  Europe is tanking worse.

So, can this game ever recover?  I'd love to see a 5 star Star Wars game!!  or even a 3 star game if I had to compromise.

Well, obviously you cant read stats because those stats tell me that population is slowly growing over time.

Probably the hardores have left, and the casuals took over, and the casuals in general play out in the open single player world, where the hardcores tend to just stand around in the main player hub to show their epeen.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by Praetalus

I really don't consider myself a "fanboi"... Odd spelling there btw...I'm just currently playing the game and having fun. I also don't see a lot of people saying the game is "amazing", just saying they are enjoying it. Unlike a lot of folks around here, I don't feel the need for the game I'm currently playing to be the best game on the market by consensus. I just need it to provide me with enough enjoyment that I want to log on. When I stop having fun, I move to the next game. Unlike you, I don't see the need to come here and trash a game. But good luck with all that.

What you say is fair enough, but you are not the "fanboi" he speaks of.

Playing SWTOR does not make you a "fanboi". I am playing SWTOR atm too!

• tordurbartordurbar Member UncommonPosts: 421

Here we go again. The weekly "SWTOR is dying" thread.

My server was very active (even in the lower zones) since last weekend. Double XP draws them in :)

The numbers have gone down since the Hutt expansion was released but every time I do my dailies there are players around me - unlike just before it went f2p.

Will SWTOR ever recover? From the initial release numbers - no. But, will WOW ever recover the 1.3 million subs it lost this year? No. Will ANY game recover the numbers of the initial release? No (with the exception of Eve). 

I returned to SWTOR because of my dis-satisfaction with action-combat MMOs and finally coming to terms with what SWTOR is (a story) and is not (a Star Wars sandbox). Now I enjoy it and re-subbed. So, for me - SWTOR has recovered.

Originally posted by RudyRaccoon
    I've been playing this game for a few weeks now and I love it, the whole game is like a story that sucks you into the Star Wars universe, I actually enjoy this game more than World of Warcraft because WoW doesn't have a story with whatever character you play. So what if it's not as popular and has less players, I don't care if the game has haters who think the game is poor since the the game's launch, it's still a better game than WoW as I for one prefer quality over quantity.

SWTOR is great within a few weeks. I think 99% of people who bought the game enjoy it for a few weeks, but then after a few months, about 75% of people ditch it.

The problem with SWTOR is that there is only 2 100% unique quest lines, for Imperial and Republic. If you start a 2nd Imperial or Republic character you find you end up doing 90% of the same quests with 10% unique to the class, which makes the game boring. The reason I am playing atm is because Double XP helps in avoiding repeating those quests. WOW does not have this problem much and each different char you get unique quests, and not going to the same areas as much.

Originally posted by tordurbar

Here we go again. The weekly "SWTOR is dying" thread.

My server was very active (even in the lower zones) since last weekend. Double XP draws them in :)

The numbers have gone down since the Hutt expansion was released but every time I do my dailies there are players around me - unlike just before it went f2p.

Will SWTOR ever recover? From the initial release numbers - no. But, will WOW ever recover the 1.3 million subs it lost this year? No. Will ANY game recover the numbers of the initial release? No (with the exception of Eve). 

I returned to SWTOR because of my dis-satisfaction with action-combat MMOs and finally coming to terms with what SWTOR is (a story) and is not (a Star Wars sandbox). Now I enjoy it and re-subbed. So, for me - SWTOR has recovered.

The previous double XP weekends a few months ago, there were more instances going on, but it has dropped, and until there is only 1 instance you will not see less people around you, and even if the populations soared to get billions you would not see more people around you either, but more instances would open up.

Once I have played through the 8 story lines, then SWTOR will be GAME OVER for me, but it is slow going because the side quests get boring quickly with having to do it with each char and makes the game boring, but fortunately with double XP it helps you to skip these missions.

Also with them bringing in the Ewok Companion it requires legacy level 40 and 1 million credits, that this weekend will see people taking advantage to help get them there

The Ewok Treek is coming to recover SWTOR

Ee chee wa maa!

Yubnub!

• GanksinatraGanksinatra Member UncommonPosts: 455
    Originally posted by superniceguy
    Originally posted by RudyRaccoon

SWTOR is great within a few weeks. I think 99% of people who bought the game enjoy it for a few weeks, but then after a few months, about 75% of people ditch it.

The problem with SWTOR is that there is only 2 100% unique quest lines, for Imperial and Republic. If you start a 2nd Imperial or Republic character you find you end up doing 90% of the same quests with 10% unique to the class, which makes the game boring. The reason I am playing atm is because Double XP helps in avoiding repeating those quests. WOW does not have this problem much and each different char you get unique quests, and not going to the same areas as much.

^ This. A thousand times this. Like I said, I wanted this game to be so good, but it really wasn't. The first play through was amazing. I couldn't stop playing it. Then I tried another class because my group cleared the available end game content rather quickly. And then it hit me: "Oh look, it's the exact same quests, with slightly different conversation choices (if you're lucky), besides the class quests (which are admittedly awesome)". I think that's what a lot of games are missing these days, and one of the major things that made WoW great to start with. If you started a new class and race combo, there were several paths you could take. It wasn't an MMO on rails. Well, it was, but there were so many rails that it almost didn't feel like rails. I will bet you money, all the money I have, that SWTOR's launch numbers and SWTOR's F2P numbers are vastly different, but you can keep hyping it as though it's the second coming of WoW if you like. Those of us who played it a few months know the novelty wears off, and quickly. Their F2P model is ridiculously stupid. If they had a Rift F2P model, I'd come back to play again. There is some new content I'd love to see. But as it stands, ANY sub MMO that has to go F2P within its first year is a failure. You can try to argue population numbers and how great it is, but those facts don't lie.

PS: To the person who said that EA has SWTOR listed as "in a good place", you might want to learn to read between the lines. Of course it is, because there are people like you who are willing to pay to play dressup and not for new content. If all you SWTOR players were so smart, you'd revolt like the Egyptians against your money gouging regime and demand real content, not pretty dresses and clothes.

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987

+1

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    Originally posted by Praetalus

But you did feel the need to trash the poster. Moral High Ground Fail

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

PS: To the person who said that EA has SWTOR listed as "in a good place", you might want to learn to read between the lines. Of course it is, because there are people like you who are willing to pay to play dressup and not for new content. If all you SWTOR players were so smart, you'd revolt like the Egyptians against your money gouging regime and demand real content, not pretty dresses and clothes.

Whatever your opinion of what SWTOR is or isn't or how it made you mad that its making money for EA or whatever.

Did you just compare a VIDEO GAME with people dying in Egypt?

Really? REALLY?!

I know some people have this irrational hatred towards this game but jeez... /Facepalm

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• BatCakezBatCakez Member Posts: 127
    I hate to say it, but no. I was rooting for this game from the start, and if it hasn't picked itself up yet, it never will. The decision to go F2P does not always equal success. It's more an attempt to save face and hope for the best on a failed product. At this point it may as well be put aside to sulk with its counterparts like SWG, another attempt that didn't go so well. I honestly (not being huge on Star Wars), wish that it was doing really well, and would ask that companies stop butchering and abusing the copyright.
This discussion has been closed.