Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will SWTOR ever recover?

Comments

• PanzerbasePanzerbase Member Posts: 423
    No baby this horse has seen its last dance and is off to the glue factory. 
  • simpliussimplius Member UncommonPosts: 1,134
    Originally posted by jpnz
    Have been 'will swtor ever recover from not being Swg pre cu / swg emu / swg 2?'

so..Theres 1.5 mio unhappy swg players?

if swg had anything near that number, they wouldnt have shut it Down

• simpliussimplius Member UncommonPosts: 1,134
    Originally posted by Panzerbase

considering, how long they kept warhammer online, i wouldnt hold my breath

i can see EA shilling out some of their sports $, to keep the IP under their control

if EA have their way, we wont see another SW mmo for many , many years

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by Instigator-Jones

This thread has been going on, ad nauseum. 

Just based on the title; recover from what? Financially? Players? Subs? 

There have been so many posts on this topic that it would seem that the community is genuinely split into the lovers vs. haters. This argument just goes round and round; the lovers cite the population, the haters cite their opinion. New content comes out and the haters proclaim "last stand, they're shutting down!", and the lovers play the "wake-up!" card. 

It IS interesting to note that SWOTOR IS on the minds of gamers, as the life of this thread shows (and yes, I do know that my post adds to the life - ironic huh?).

This thread, however, really should just be locked and put away in that dark little place that we all hate. You know the vault that I'm talking about: the deep dark recesses of "let's agree to disagree".

This thread could go on for years. And the longer it goes on the more funny it becomes. Not because one side is right or wrong...but because one side will never see how stupid their argument gets the longer it goes on.

• TalmagdonTalmagdon Member UncommonPosts: 21
    Originally posted by simplius
    Originally posted by Panzerbase

considering, how long they kept warhammer online, i wouldnt hold my breath

i can see EA shilling out some of their sports $, to keep the IP under their control

if EA have their way, we wont see another SW mmo for many , many years

Disney gave EA exclusive rights for publishing all Star Wars games back in May. They don't need to keep servers up to maintain their IP now, just keep things golden with Disney.

There are things about the game design that are flawed and cause player burnout in a big way, but I've seen a large number of people who ragequit come back to the game within 2-6 months. The environment, story and feel of the game is brilliant ... which is what keeps you coming back.

In terms of revenues, forget looking at subscription numbers. Every time a new pack is released on the item shop, there are people who spend hundreds of dollars buying the packs. It's like buying booster packs for Magic: The Gathering ... the more you buy the better your chance for rare armour/weapon shells and mounts. Vanity items like those not only drive the in-game economy but are the reason the game is still up.

Till the cash shop fails, I doubt EA will look at dropping subscriptions. When they do, Bioware has enough numbers to show that subscribers are returning, that new players are joining servers, that f2p players hitting level cap do switch to subscriber and that the games lull periods are always followed by renewed activity.

Some people think trading in the shotgun for the BFG2000 makes the game easier. It just allows you to enter a higher difficulty level.

• akkedis86akkedis86 Member UncommonPosts: 123
    Originally posted by ste2000

A Story Driven MMO will never be a succesful MMO, I really hope this is the last one (although I fear ESO will be next)

No kidding, I almost broke my Space Bar of my new keyboard due to the amount of time I had to skip boring Cinematic dialogues.............

Also they understimated the importance of Space Combat in the game.

They lost the chance of making Space Combat something unique, which alone could have saved this game (they are still in time).

But instead they chose to keep it as if it was an ancient 1980's Atari Shoot'em Up..................

ESO I think is a strong IP which will have loads of sales straight off the bat. probably looking at 13mil box sales. If four million chooses to stay behind and sub it is a success for them.

It is a major IP, and I am addament to say that this will be the biggest sub game since WOW.

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415

You know i still chuckle to this day how hardcore the biodrones are about defending this game.  I remember how hyped this game was, it was going to be the second coming of christ.  Oh man, star wars, MMO, BIOWARE!!!!!11  ZOMG!!!!

This game and its fans should honestly be used as case studies for the stages of grief on college campuses.  To this day some people are still clinging to the denial stage.

The state of MMO's as a whole is already pretty dire, and tortanic is at or pretty close to the front of that fleet of ships.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by didjerama

http://www.torstatus.net/

Also:

6-7 instances of starter worlds then 2-3 now

4-5 instances of fleet (with higher cap) then 2-3 with lower cap now

extend that to all other planets

all for most populated EU server which barely reach heavy after major content patch and was full at F2P relaunch

yup, no hard numbers at all

your evidence is not evidence for what you actually want to measure, its like measuring lenght on weight scale

Not sure why you bring up a fan-site and your anectodal evidence again.

EA reported an increase for their financials after SWTOR went F2P.

But keep on posting, I'm sure you can convince someone.

Uh-huh

few millions people that left (both times, not just once lol)swtor didnt need convincing from anyone, they did it on their own.

SInce you are not interested in finding out reasons for SWTOR failing and better games in the future i suggest you stop posting as this is not thread for you.

Unless you present numbers of these assumptions, i need to conclude that you my friend are on a personal vendetta against SWTOR.   

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987

This game is actually a CO-RPG if one is being generous, or maybe a SPRPG with benefits. It does this adequately.

I think that means there is room for a Star Wars MMORPG on the market as well !

Preferably a sandbox, as EA wouldn't want to have a direct competitor with SWTOR. Hope they realize this.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

Uh-huh

few millions people that left (both times, not just once lol)swtor didnt need convincing from anyone, they did it on their own.

SInce you are not interested in finding out reasons for SWTOR failing and better games in the future i suggest you stop posting as this is not thread for you.

Apparently making money is failing for some people.

I'm sure this bullet-proof logic will convince everyone that yes, SWTOR is failing. / Sarcasm

Not sure why you are getting so defensive and personal though. If you are factually wrong sometimes you get called out.

Admit that you made a mistake and move on.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• didjeramadidjerama Member Posts: 201

Uh-huh

Apparently making money is failing for some people.

I'm sure this bullet-proof logic will convince everyone that yes, SWTOR is failing. / Sarcasm

Not sure why you are getting so defensive and personal though. If you are factually wrong sometimes you get called out.

Admit that you made a mistake and move on.

Please show us revenue/profit of SWTOR, quarter to quarter form launch up till now, including production/marketing cost, so we can all see how "SWTOR is making money" and put it to rest once and for all.

Please show us revenue/profit of SWTOR, quarter to quarter form launch up till now, including production/marketing cost, so we can all see how "SWTOR is making money" and put it to rest once and for all.

I am constantly amazed when people just don't remember what they said / post / wrote and constantly moves the goal posts.

Lets logically break it down shall we?

This is your post which I highlighted as a factually false statement.

'SWTOR lost MASSIVE number of players after F2P relaunch, same as it has at launch - oct 2012.'

Proof: http://investor.ea.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=779751

You do realize people can look at your post history on this site right?

Right?

/Facepalm

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519
    Funny, i don't see SWTOR listed on that EA report link.  Am I missing something?

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

I am constantly amazed when people just don't remember what they said / post / wrote and constantly moves the goal posts.

Lets logically break it down shall we?

This is your post which I highlighted as a factually false statement.

'SWTOR lost MASSIVE number of players after F2P relaunch, same as it has at launch - oct 2012.'

Proof: http://investor.ea.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=779751

You do realize people can look at your post history on this site right?

Right?

/Facepalm

You relize you havevt shown ANYTHING about SWTOR and its revenue/profit which you keep talking about, and even less than nothing about its population.

Again:

SWTOR production/marketing costs

SWTOR revenue/profit quarter to quarter since launch

And yes, SWTOR lost million(s) of players.....2 times now, only (metaphorically) blind person will deny that.

On F2P launch most servers were VERY HEAVY/FULL

There were many more players across the board, from starting worlds to fleet, if i had to do rough estimation id say SWTOR has 1/3 of what it had back at F2P launch. And yes, i was there then, and there now and ive been there in between.

Yes, someone could argue that F2P players dont matter, but its a fact they did stop playing SWTOR. In large numbers. Again.

Originally posted by stayontarget
    Funny, i don't see SWTOR listed on that EA report link.  Am I missing something?

Nope. He hasnt shown ANYTHING about SWTOR so far.

Funny thing he lists EA report as some proof of SWTORs population. I still havent found the link lol

"This is your post which I highlighted as a factually false statement.

Proof: http://investor.ea.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=779751"

???

At this point he is pretty much just spamming.

You relize you havevt shown ANYTHING about SWTOR and its revenue/profit which you keep talking about, and even less than nothing about its population.

Again:

And yes, SWTOR lost million(s) of players.....2 times now, only (metaphorically) blind person will deny that.

There were many more players across the board, from starting worlds to fleet, if i had to do rough estimation id say SWTOR has 1/3 of what it had back at F2P launch. And yes, i was there then, and there now and ive been there in between.

Yes, someone could argue that F2P players dont matter, but its a fact they did stop playing SWTOR. In large numbers. Again.

So... we went from 'SWTOR lost players after the F2P relaunch' to something about SWTOR cost..

I assume the next strawman is EALouse / 300 Million production cost etc?

I am just amazed at how people can not read financial statements or even find information just a link away but okay.

http://www.vg247.com/2013/07/23/ea-q1-fy14-digital-makes-up-76-of-revenue/

Psstt! It was all there next to the investor call link!

Not sure if you wanted to let the rest of the world know that you can't find information a link away though.

Gdemami -

• vkejaivkejai Member UncommonPosts: 99
    Swtor isn't the best game I have ever played but at the moment its the only one I play consistently. I don't know why the OP made this post as these kind of threads do more damage to the game than anything else , and the OP is moaning about decreasing population etc...... Also don't know why you only get 5fps sometimes, clearly this is a problem your end not the games.

Again:

So... we went from 'SWTOR lost players after the F2P relaunch' to something about SWTOR cost..

I am just amazed at how people can not read financial statements or even find information just a link away but okay.

Not sure if you wanted to let the rest of the world know that you can't find information a link away though.

RUSerious?

rofl, at this point i really think you just spam for sake of spamming.

Because noone can consider what you write serious rofl.

As i said already 2 times, and you conveniently ingore it

SWTOR PRODUCTION/MARKETING COST

SWTOR REVENUE/PROFIT FROM QUARTER TO QUARTER FROM LAUNCH

THEN you can claim SWTOR is making money.

Until then you are on ignore.

But more important is why it cant keep players and thats what this thread about, even if  "is it making money" is interesting.

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

SWTOR is a servicable game - particularly if you're 14 years old and have never played WoW.

However, considering it's Star Wars, it should have been far better than it was.

The Star Wars universe is perfect for sandbox play - like SWG - but the developers decided to "play it safe" and produced something stale. 

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

Again:

You are 100% correct that many people don't read financial statements but sadly whereas didjerama provided a link to an actual EA release you provided a link to a shoddy article. Yep another poorly written article written by someone who has tried, and failed, to pull together what EA said about SWTORs.

To quote the article: "All content, subscription and free-to-play on SWTOR was up over last year, and the subscription based business was down 25% as more switched to free-to-play."

Read it carefully:  "........subscription ..... SWTOR .... up over last year .... subscription .... down 25%"

So what did EA say about SWTORs subscriptions again?  Yep a total mix-up. 

EA basically said only one thing about SWTOR specifically and two things about SWTOR as part of packages of games. 

1. About SWTOR in isolation: subs were down 25% since the game went f2p - so since last November. (This was in reply to a question in the conference call.)

2. As part of a whole package of games - of which SWTOR was just one - and for several revenue streams, of which subs were just one - there was a big drop compared to 12 months ago. Analysts want to know why so EA provide an upfront answer: SWTOR subs down. The analysts tap on their calculators - implication a c. 670k drop in subs, sounds right move on. Other games / revenue streams were in the package but EA probably didn't want to talk about ... WAR for example. Yes WAR's numbers will have been in there as well. SWTOR was given as the big reason and everyone moved on.

3. As part of a different package of games EA talked about F"P revenue. And again F2P was just one of several revenue streams. This revenue stream increased - yippee. Again analysts want to know why and as well as talking about FIFA (a lot) EA gave SWTOR as one of the reasons. But wait what did EA actually say? That compared to 12 months ago SWTOR f2p revenue was up. Absolutely amazing - when you consider that 12 months earlier it was ZERO.

So read EA's results rather than artciles. Remember that releases will have been carefully written by professionals and then carefully vetted. Don't read into them more than is said - like the author of the article did.

• ImperialSunImperialSun Member Posts: 212

Look guys, I am probably one of the most die hard SWG vets you will ever meet. I played from pre Pub 9 through to almost the close of the game and I seem to see a couple of posters in this thread with very similar forum names to those that I played with on Euro Chim....I'm looking at you Masont and Lovernofighter :)

I also play the SWGEMU on a regular basis and still have my original boxed set of Empire Divided (but I dont keep it under my pillow).

That being said, right now I subscribe to SWTOR.

We all know that SWG was literally light years (pun intended) ahead of it's time with several game systems that have never been equalled since. If I could be play SWG2 I would cancel my SWTOR sub TODAY and that game would never see my £s again.

Now thats out of the way, hopefully nobody can resort to the Biodrone insult, but you guys have to be aware that for what it is, a shallow theme park dumbed down WoW clone....the game is not that bad. Content cycles are now regular, server populations ARE stable and with the iminent release of Galactic Starfighter a lot of people are excited and returning to the game. People are starting to acknowledsge that the game is moving in the right direction. Whether you like to admit that or not.

SWTOR is aimed at players who thrive in a treadmill themepark style game, that just doesnt tick the box with most of us....and thats fine...hate the game all you want...but dont do yourselves a dis service with all this petty bullshit about the game being THAT bad...because it isnt. It keeps me entertained and is probably the most subsribed western MMORPG behind WoW and EVE??

Do I long for an actual SWG2? Of course but I think we all know that EA will use profit from other verticals and titles to prop the game up for a number of years to come and THAT is why you are all so butt hurt.....because you know that even though you despise the game, the very fact it will last a number of years means that even IF SWG2 was ever created you are looking at 5-10 years....that stinks but its true.

It's just sad to see so many MMORPG vets lowering themselves to this level of hate guys...these boards are becoming a laughing stock all over the internet because so many people are so desperate to bash SWTOR...this level of "Its hip to hate" is sooo 2009 :(

Oh and Euro_Chim FTW!11!!!! But then you ALL know that anyway :)

Driz

• Psion33Psion33 Member Posts: 248
    Originally posted by leinad312
    They had their chance to recover but blew it with their restrictive f2p model. Nearly everyone that I know who played SWTOR didn't go back after seeing the f2p/preferred account limitations.

Those type of people will never commit financially to any game so they are better suited as party/instance fillers anyhow.

• syltmackasyltmacka Member UncommonPosts: 404
    mmos is all about the numbers man, the numbers. screw fun.
  • AgonyztAgonyzt Member UncommonPosts: 16

Honestly, when this game released ~2 years ago, I ditched it after playing a few hours because I didn't see any added value compared to other games out there like WoW and RIFT. From that point, every time my friend and I discussed about MMOs in general, SWTOR was a good example of what a failure was and bla bla bla. "OMG THIS GAME SUCK! Bah, at least it's better than SWTOR! DAMN RIGHT!"

Until last week. After playing FFXIV for a month and clicking thru cutscenes with no voice over, I decided to give SWTOR another shot just for the sake of it. OMG! I spent more time in the last week playing this game than I did in a month with FFXIV. I don't know if it's the "WoW effect" fading from me after almost 2 years of not playing (WoW effect = everything else is boring because it's not WoW), but this game is amazing. It feels just right. Even the animations, which I thought were bad when I first played, are good enough compared to a lot of games out there.

I understand that I'm still leveling, and as a preferred status player (for now), but I feel like this game is everything I was looking for. Even the PvP looks pretty decent from what I see on twitch...

That being said, I think a lot of people are blindly bashing on this game like my friends and I did and of course it does hurt the game. I'm not sure how many people will actually give it another chance... but from my experience, they should. This game is very well made and deserves to recover.

• hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123
    Haters really need to move on. I remember the talking about ¨swtor will die in 3 months¨, then it was ¨6 months¨, ¨a year¨, is almost 2 years and the game is on the right direction and doing fine, is a slow recovery though, but is happening. Galactic starfighter could be a huge comeback for swtor, is only PvP but pretty much everyone here know that once the system is in-game, it will be expanded.  
This discussion has been closed.