Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EverQuest Next confirmed for PS4! (Kind of)

Comments

• PyndaPynda Member UncommonPosts: 856

I see the limitations of the console controler - and therefore what the whole game will need to be dumbed down for - going a lot deeper than just screwing over chat alone (although that is really almost a deal breaker in itself). It means that game functions will need to be simplified to contend with cascading menus. It means that objects in the world and interface buttons will not be able to rely on pointer hovering interaction. It means that text entry options will have to be greatly reduced. The list goes on...

And we all should know that the "consoles can use keyboards and mice" or "interfaces can be built for both systems" argument just doesn't make sense. Everything will need to be designed for the lowest possible common denominator.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by rockin_ufo
    Can we save the doom and gloom until August? Jeeze.

I know right. From the 5 MMOs availale on consoles they have already decided that it doesnt work (although FFXI and DCUO worked very well on console I should add).

How about giving them the benefit of the doubt and waiting til they actually release some details?

Also in this day and age what do you really need a keyboard for? 100 keybinds? Thats just lazy development. Chatting? We have connections fast enough to support VOIP. Combined with SoEmote voice modulation and facial recognition, keyboards are redundant.

PS4 will reach an audience much much larger than PC gamers. SoE would be stupid NOT to port all its games over. 

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521

Smiley face assumptions aside I hope both versions release at the same time so I can spend a few hundred dollars on a PS4 instead of over 1k building another PC (no, I don't want to hear how cheap I can build one, this one is from '08 and runs great because I build ahead).

I can see the concern about UI aspects but three things: One, seperate servers = the UIs don't have to be the same.  Two, even if they were the same you can design a combat system that has many abilities but is also accessable to a gamepad.  Three, I don't think communication will be needed via keyboard as much because of the version of SoEMote in EQN.  I would also be highly surprised if Sony doesn't have a keyboard and mouse available for PS4.  They look to be crossing over.

• BidwoodBidwood Member Posts: 554
    Great post evilastro. I completely agree!
    Originally posted by Aelious

Smiley face assumptions aside I hope both versions release at the same time so I can spend a few hundred dollars on a PS4 instead of over 1k building another PC (no, I don't want to hear how cheap I can build one, this one is from '08 and runs great because I build ahead).

I can see the concern about UI aspects but three things: One, seperate servers = the UIs don't have to be the same.  Two, even if they were the same you can design a combat system that has many abilities but is also accessable to a gamepad.  Three, I don't think communication will be needed via keyboard as much because of the version of SoEMote in EQN.  I would also be highly surprised if Sony doesn't have a keyboard and mouse available for PS4.  They look to be crossing over.

Yeah I would be surprised if they didnt have a keyboard setup. They did back in EQOA. But I think they would have it completely playable through gamepad and microphone as well.

• WaterlilyWaterlily Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by tkreep

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ex92EBblLO4

Oh ya real tactical combat standing in one place and everything repeating the same skill with majority of the screen covered with menus.

what a tool

what does this have to do with EQ, it's someone who has no clue how to play and has to FD to save his life from the add

the reason his screen is overwhelmed with menus is because he has a tiny screen and the UI doesn't scale well

the fact you don't know this means you never touched EQ in your life

this is what EQ was like, it's about controlling mobs and teamwork

I would never allow you to join our guild

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFGJ3sHDvkk

• TwystedWizTwystedWiz Member UncommonPosts: 175

It wouldn't surprise me at all if it ends up being multi-platform.

That has got to be the holy grail for any game developer right now, one game that can accommodate all the major platforms.

What surprises me is that no one has done it yet.

Imagine the size of the potential audience if you could support PC's, Macs, Linux, Consoles, and pretty soon even limited client support on tablets and phones.

Imagine the potential market if all the lines/limits/constraints go away?

Why limit yourself to just PS4 users, or Xbox users, or PC users, or Mac users, if you could have them ALL?

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Originally posted by Waterlily

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ex92EBblLO4

Oh ya real tactical combat standing in one place and everything repeating the same skill with majority of the screen covered with menus.

what a tool

what does this have to do with EQ, it's someone who has no clue how to play and has to FD to save his life from the add

the reason his screen is overwhelmed with menus is because he has a tiny screen and the UI doesn't scale well

the fact you don't know this means you never touched EQ in your life

this is what EQ was like, it's about controlling mobs and teamwork

I would never allow you to join our guild

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFGJ3sHDvkk

so was final fantasy 11 and that was multi-platform and no one gives a shit about your guild

Also to those complaining, SoE has always kept console players seperate to PC players (just look at DCUO), and will likely cater to both control methods.
  • GrailerGrailer Member UncommonPosts: 893

cool so X   is taunt ?  circle  aoe taunt?

wonder what square and triange will do .

sounds like a fun game

Originally posted by Grailer

cool so X   is taunt ?  circle  aoe taunt?

wonder what square and triange will do .

sounds like a fun game

Good thing your not designing the gamepad controls cuz that would be terrible.  I hope they make it as ingenious as the FFXIV ARR gamepad controls with its cross hotbar system

What im surprised is that people here before this multi-platform rumor came about thought that the controls were going to be like the first Everquest or even the second one even if it was PC only.  Especially after seeing current generation mmo games like GW2, Neverwinter and Wildstar or Tera Online.
  • firefly2003firefly2003 Member UncommonPosts: 2,527
    Originally posted by DeathByCactus
    So much for keeping the console kiddies out of this.

All of SOE's games on PS3 like DC Universe and Planetside 2 on Ps4 servers will be seperate , that means console and PC gamers won't even see each other..proof here http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2013/06/14/planetside-2-looks-like-pc-on-max-settings-supports-vita-remote-play.aspx

So Its more than likely that EQN on the console will not be interacting with the PC version.

• craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740
    What im surprised is that people here before this multi-platform rumor came about thought that the controls were going to be like the first Everquest or even the second one even if it was PC only.  Especially after seeing current generation mmo games like GW2, Neverwinter and Wildstar or Tera Online.

Hmmm.  What you are referring to as "innovative action combat" is actually highly derivative of 1980's arcade game play. Rather than being fresh and new it is 30 years old. While improvements to the EQ/EQ2 combat systems would be nice going to a console/arcade style is IMHO a massive retrograde step.

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    Originally posted by evilastro
    Also to those complaining, SoE has always kept console players seperate to PC players (just look at DCUO), and will likely cater to both control methods.

This is a good point to remember. TY for posting it.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• strykr619strykr619 Member UncommonPosts: 284
    Originally posted by DeathByCactus
    So much for keeping the console kiddies out of this.

I guess you never player everquest online adventures for playstation right? 

• PyxxPyxx Member Posts: 22

While you guys argue over PC vs Console, which is better, what's more viable, or if rather or not it dumbs down the game. Maybe you should all consider this. 

Multi-Platforming may not be the ideal choice for some games, but When games are Crossed-Platformed like FFXI it makes a difference. The game itself becomes evolved. It appeals not only to the PC community, but also the Console Community as well. It is craftsmanship at it's finest. And still today Final Fantasy XI has a very large Audience and loving fans. 

You forget that Cross-Platforming has already been done before. It's true that EQ was proceeded by EQOA on the PS2, while be a separate entity of it's own and while it may have not have worked for all, it did have an appeal to Console Audiences. If you can remember correctly, Final Fantasy XI was also on PS2, but some may not realize this;  but it was Crossed Platformed. Meaning, that those who were on PC were able to interact with those on the Console and vice-versa. And it worked. And it's still working to this day. While over the years the subs have dwindle down to stable out but so does all mmo's who have a sub fee throughout the course of it's history. and we are all now entering the next ERA of MMO's which is the Free to Play with Cash Shops. That is a whole other story set for itself. 

Let's all take a moment to reflect: Putting Age aside. We all love video games. No matter how old we are. If we are adults it brings out the inner joy and laughter in us to come together as people to enjoy something these companies have put together for us. That's why we love Gaming. It doesn't have anything to do with age, it doesn't have anything to do with kids. However if you are someone who was born in the 70s and early 80s and you're thinking this way, then think about this; We were once kids too. We used to love sitting in our rooms and playing with friends or by ourselves on these video games. The fact that we love Mario, Zelda and Samus Aran. Or the fact that we loved blowing up someone's Tank or killing Space Aliens on older consoles. Or for those who remember writing your own HTML codes for the Commodore 64 and playing FLOG. Why do we do this?? It was because we loved it. It brings us joy to play them. 

As we grow older so does our mindset. We think just because we have come into a new Era that kids who are growing up just like we did loving video games, will corrupt how we play the games. Is this true? Does this really affect how we treat each other? Do we as adults feel that we can not play with kids because we once use to do the very same thing? Can we not learn from this and put personal feelings aside and see how we set an example for these kids as adults? 

Let's look at it from a different perspective. Let's look at it from a kid's point of view. 1st of all you have to realize you are a child, You're free and can do anything you want. As long as it does not affect you in the real world. But Can you really feel that way? What if you were the other person on the other side? If Adults feel that they can't play video games with kids, then maybe they shouldn't play them at all. But the fact remains that you as a kid will have regard to who is on the other side. To you it's just someone who you will never meet so it doesn't matter. Well I'm here to tell you it does matter.

When you play with others you have to meet a certain expectation. You have to have some degree of maturity within you while still having fun. If you can not play with respect, and honesty, while having fun, then maybe you shouldn't be playing either.

I'm referring to Cyber Bullying, It has to stop. Rather it comes from Adults, or Kids, No matter if you're 13 or 31. You as a player, You as a Gamer, have to take some responsibility when playing with others. And it does not matter what game you are playing or which platform it's on. If you play a Multi-player game, via MMO, FPS, RTS, or just Social Games, then Play with some maturity and respect for others. Treat them as you would have someone treat you. Love the Game, Love the Players. It will in turn love you back. Show some compassion for the Game. Don't be a Cyber Bully. 

PC Gaming is a plus in my book. Cross-Platform Gaming is a plus in my book. NextGen Gaming is a plus in my book. Whatever makes the Players happy, in coming together as a Gaming Community then it's all good in my book.

Can you say the same? 

Originally posted by Fangrim
    I  will not even look at it if its multi platform.

There is a difference in Multi-Platforming and Crossed-Platforming Games.

• LyrianLyrian Member UncommonPosts: 412

I think putting out the game on PS4 is a good idea, if they force the use of keyboard and mouse to play the game. It just vastly increases the potential market audience and since the PS4 is practically a PC anyway. I see no difference for the idea of porting it, however as time passes and the game demands increase the PS4 will be left behind compared to the PC.

If they don't force keyboard and mouse. I'd like to have the ability to see what platform others are playing on, so I can choose to exclude console players from groups if the skill difference between a controller and a keyboard make them a less efficient player.

• BidwoodBidwood Member Posts: 554
    Originally posted by Lyrian

I think putting out the game on PS4 is a good idea, if they force the use of keyboard and mouse to play the game. It just vastly increases the potential market audience and since the PS4 is practically a PC anyway. I see no difference for the idea of porting it, however as time passes and the game demands increase the PS4 will be left behind compared to the PC.

If they don't force keyboard and mouse. I'd like to have the ability to see what platform others are playing on, so I can choose to exclude console players from groups if the skill difference between a controller and a keyboard make them a less efficient player.

I can't imagine Sony ever forcing keyboard and mouse on console players.

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    No biggie, it's not the first EQ game to grace a console, SOE are well versed in this department

• JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,679

Do not dilute this for the 6 button (or whatever) crap of a console. FFXIV tried that - with the result that the action commands where the worst in mmo gaming history - bar none.

Keep the consoles to super mario - hell make that multi-player so all the console lovers can group together as a super mario gang fest - but leave serious mmo's out of this.

If you want to play a proper mmo - with a list of skills and abilities - BUY A PC. Otherwise go away.

For those flaming this - remember, you are using a keyboard for your reply - not hitting 4 commands just get the letter a........

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662
    Originally posted by JudgeUK

Do not dilute this for the 6 button (or whatever) crap of a console. FFXIV tried that - with the result that the action commands where the worst in mmo gaming history - bar none.

Keep the consoles to super mario - hell make that multi-player so all the console lovers can group together as a super mario gang fest - but leave serious mmo's out of this.

If you want to play a proper mmo - with a list of skills and abilities - BUY A PC. Otherwise go away.

For those flaming this - remember, you are using a keyboard for your reply - not hitting 4 commands just get the letter a........

Then by your reasoning I guess Ultima Online was created for the dumbest gamers on the planet. It had no UI. Great  reasoning there by you and the convoluted skill bar brigade.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

Saying that someone is less efficient as a console person or someone who uses a controller is a matter of opinion. I personally tanked for some of the Top WoW guilds all while using a controller. I've used a controller for most of the mmo's I've played. People say it takes skill to play a mmo using a mouse a keyboard. Well I beg to differ. It takes more skill to use a controller and be able to keep up with those in Top end Raiding Guilds for over 8 years. To be skilled at using a controller while Raiding on some of the hardest fights ever known to mmos'; Xpadder Program along side of macros can make a very interesting way of playing a game, only if you know what you're doing. And honestly I rather prefer using a controller sometimes over using mouse and keyboard only due to Carpol Tunnel syndrome in both my hands and wrists. Now I'm not saying that it's better to use a controller, but I am saying that People can have enough skill to keep up with those using a mouse & keyboard.

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    The probability of a Sony keyboard/mouse notwithstanding, you can have a full featured ability system that is accessible via a gamepad. In fact, it would innovate combat in general and make it more engaging.
This discussion has been closed.