Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EverQuest Next confirmed for PS4! (Kind of)

AceshighhhhAceshighhhh Member Posts: 185

John Smedley responded to an tweet that asked: "is it going to PS4 eventually btw?"

https://twitter.com/the_player/status/346839986500415488

Comments

• superconductingsuperconducting Member UncommonPosts: 871

Yep. A smiley response sounds like a teaser to me.

• BidwoodBidwood Member Posts: 554
    Originally posted by Aceshighhhh

John Smedley responded to an email that asked: "is it going to PS4 eventually btw?"

https://twitter.com/the_player/status/346839986500415488

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO bring out the champagne!!!!!!!!!!!! =D Thanks for sharing this!

• DeathByCactusDeathByCactus Member Posts: 36
    So much for keeping the console kiddies out of this.
  • CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437

As a PC player this is a major turnoff for me if true.

I played MMO that are cross platform like FF and some MMO that can be played with controllers. The fact players in your game aren't using a keyboard is extremely detrimental to the community.

I really hope this is just Smed trolling again, because I'm sorry but I'm not touching an MMO that isn't separated from console kids.

Now if they want to make some EQ console game separate from EQ on PC, like EQ adventures or whatever it was called, that's fine. But I'm not interested in a console MMO.

• FangrimFangrim Member UncommonPosts: 616
    I  will not even look at it if its multi platform.

• XevvXevv Member UncommonPosts: 46

Sigh.

This pretty much ensures its one of those games where you get to use ~5 skills at any given time :(

Probably a dodge roll option etc too.

I was really hoping for a more....classic?....system.

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Originally posted by Xevv

Sigh.

This pretty much ensures its one of those games where you get to use ~5 skills at any given time :(

Final Fantasy ARR is cross-platform and you can use more than 5 skills at any given time without dodge rolls

Originally posted by Fangrim
    I  will not even look at it if its multi platform.

I wouldn't try it if it was multiplatform.

If I wanted to play with with console gamers I would go to a kindergarten.

Originally posted by tkreep

Sigh.

Final Fantasy ARR is cross-platform and you can use more than 5 skills at any given time without dodge rolls

Oh no its possible. But its also far more likely it ends up using a gw2/neverwinter/eso skill system.

Which personally isnt what I wanted. Im still hoping for a nice 20 or more skills at any given time game. None of the dodge the super attack nonsense combat would be preferable too.

Whether or not I get what I want ... time will tell.

It's amazing to see people surprised at this even though it's clearly going to happen.

The console MMO trend IS happening. There's a spirited discussion about it happening on Massively.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/06/17/the-daily-grind-how-do-you-feel-about-the-console-mmo-trend/

EverQuest Next and Planetside 2 were both built on the same engine. People said Planetside 2 would never go to consoles and they were wrong. They'll be wrong about EverQuest Next, too.

SOE doesn't care that this makes the game less appealing to the minority of "ivory tower" PC gamers. They're going to make way more money and develop way more fans by going the console route.

They're going for something new and different that is not just another version of the games they made in the past. Let go of your hotbars. It's time to embrace a new paradigm...  or don't. This change will be good for everyone else involved.

Actually, FF ARR has extremely limited skills, at lvl 20 I was still using around 5 skills. I played beta and I found it to be a miserable experience, partly because it's tailored to console gamers with a gamepad.

• KerosienKerosien Member UncommonPosts: 56

Sigh.

by my count there are 16 skills you can use on one hotbar for FFIV: ARR for the ps3 and there are 8 different hot bars so thats like 128 different things you can have access too with just the push of one or two buttons and there is no dodge or roll option lol so a cross plat game does not have to be that bad

Originally posted by CalmOceans

Actually, FF ARR has extremely limited skills, at lvl 20 I was still using around 5 skills. I played beta and I found it to be a miserable experience, partly because it's tailored to console gamers with a gamepad.

You would use more than 5 skills if you leveled up a another class so you can equip more skills.

Nice try. You can map 128 functions to various button combinations on the PS3 gamepad.

BTW, folks..  this doesn't necessarily mean 'dumbed down' gameplay. As someone on Massively pointed out, the thought-provoking gameplay is shifting to action instead of managing massive hotbars and cooldowns.

I also expect we'll see a good deal of complexity in interacting with the world, crafting, building, PVP, etc.

• WaterlilyWaterlily Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    R.I.P. EQ Next
  • LissylLissyl Member UncommonPosts: 271

Open world PVP on a console? 

Well, at least they saved me the time it would have taken to consider the game.  For those of you who do play, I give my honest best wishes, though. :)

• KerosienKerosien Member UncommonPosts: 56
    Originally posted by CalmOceans

As a PC player this is a major turnoff for me if true.

I played MMO that are cross platform like FF and some MMO that can be played with controllers. The fact players in your game aren't using a keyboard is extremely detrimental to the community.

I really hope this is just Smed trolling again, because I'm sorry but I'm not touching an MMO that isn't separated from console kids.

Now if they want to make some EQ console game separate from EQ on PC, like EQ adventures or whatever it was called, that's fine. But I'm not interested in a console MMO.

I've played FFIV: ARR on my ps3 and i like alot of other people have a usb keyboard hooked up so we can chat preatty fast and i played with alot of people that were using a mouse as well unstead of a controller.

• rockin_uforockin_ufo Member UncommonPosts: 378
    Can we save the doom and gloom until August? Jeeze.

Whenever i step outside, somebody claims to see the light
    It seems to me that all of us have lost our patience.
    'cause everyone thinks they're right,
    And nobody thinks that there just might
    Be more than one road to our final destination--

• TemplarBannusTemplarBannus Member Posts: 3
    Maybe EverQuest Next will be playable on the new Playstation 4, and instead of condensing the controls down onto a controller the game could have a required mouse and keyboard or at least have it as an option. The new systems are built on PC Architecture so it is definitely possible.
  • goozmaniagoozmania Member RarePosts: 394

This may blow people's minds... but you can use a keyboard and mouse on ps3/4! And you can use a controller on a PC!

Cross platform is no longer an indication of anything.

Originally posted by Bidwood

Nice try. You can map 128 functions to various button combinations on the PS3 gamepad.

BTW, folks..  this doesn't necessarily mean 'dumbed down' gameplay. As someone on Massively pointed out, the thought-provoking gameplay is shifting to action instead of managing massive hotbars and cooldowns.

I also expect we'll see a good deal of complexity in interacting with the world, crafting, building, PVP, etc.

Wait for the charged up super attack and dodge isnt thought provoking. Not really saying more skills and managing cooldowns is some enlightended experience either.

But in all the games Ive played with a dodge roll I felt the combat was a joke. It really just comes down to...watch for the things you are supposed to avoid every so often. Avoid it. Continue about your day.

If you like it good for you. I personally dont.

Originally posted by goozmania

This may blow people's minds... but you can use a keyboard and mouse on ps3/4! And you can use a controller on a PC!

Cross platform is no longer an indication of anything.

Its possible...but also probably unlikely the game will ship requiring a mouse and keyboard for a console.

Im sure there was some game for a console that straight up required it...but none are coming to mind.

• AceshighhhhAceshighhhh Member Posts: 185

Sigh.

No thanks.

These "classic systems" are exactly what bore me to death with most MMORPG's. I absolutely embrace an action-oriented as opposed to having 20+ skills filling up my UI. I'd much rather rely on my skill rather than random numbers and an auto-attack.

• deveilbladdeveilblad Member UncommonPosts: 193

You elitist PC gamers are aware console doesnt mean dumbed down and bad gameplay right ? Have you played FFXIV ARR ? Very intuitive gameplay with a controller and at LEAST 16 easy to use skills at any given time with much more possible to configure...

ALSO, as it was said a few posts before.... YOU CAN PLUG A MOUSE AND KEYBOARD ON THE PS4...

A game that gets dumbed down because of console is not that way because it's going on console, it's because the devs behind it are incompetent...

AND if EQ Next is a PvP sandbox, I'd rather play an action oriented MMO where skill matters over number of keys pushed...

I've played a lot of PC exclusive mmos from Ultima Online to WoW, EQ2, lotro, AoC, GW2, and many more but none of them had complex combat and usually felt dumb standing in front of a mob spamming about 5 skills over and over til i fell asleep.  Out of those GW2 was the only one that felt really fun and I even played that with a gamepad.
This discussion has been closed.