Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What happened to Neverwinter?

13»

Comments

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Well to be fair, the 'hype' meter or interest meter itself isn't the most dependable thing. There is a bad habit of people manipulating it on purpose for one (You will notice GW2 sneak up top suddenly as Secret world gets bombarded suspiciously at the same time, before suddenly sliding back into place were it was before Suddenly regaining the scores and SW being up top again).  Don't get it wrong, there ARE games that are on there that are good, but its not exactly completely 'right'. SW I respect a lot for changing up the formula a bit in its time period and action combat but its not exactly a 'top game' either if you look objectively at it, specially not GW2 which falls short on to many areas. Even a game like Rift I enjoy a lot and do think is well made probably be more fitting of a lower score, but hey, its all based off 'popularity' and who rigs the votes most without being caught.

Though... that being said, even with none of that devious under workings going on,  Neverwinter is fun to play, but its not mechanically sound in to many ways. It just doesn't have another presence behind it and polish to make it shine as a game. Add in the fact the cash shop is god aweful and the feeling the game is built around paying real money to play effectively at all, it just holds the game back greatly. No matter how fun it is to play with its combat, other factors hold it back. Its jsim8iliar  games like Tera where it does one or two areas extremely well and then is held back by other components. 

• olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,829

The game wasn't very interesting, so I played up to where I could get into the Foundry.

The Foundry has also turned out to be a disappointment. Two very simple scenarios:

1) go into that dungeon, clear it out, get the item, and return it to me -- Nope! can't do it. Once you go to another map (dungeon), you can't come back.

2) pick door A and go to map A, or pick door B, and go to map B -- Nope! Can't do it, players can only move from one place on one map, to one place on another map. No branching.

So I thought maybe make a campaign, where if you do A, you go to the A quest, and if you did B, you went to the B quest -- Nope! Sorry.

So basically all you can do is create linear maps, mostly just grindfests. Like the game. The Foundry is a half-decent single-player game, if you like linear quests. Not that great.

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

• Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059

The bottom fell out of the hype boat after NWO made contact with its market base. It faded from all discussions as people found the game bad, bland, a piss poor representation of the licensed IP, and riddled with the wrong kind of bugs. They moved on. Personally, I waited until now to try it out knowing the trouble Cryptic has with launches. I was done with it in two hours and so disgusted that I wrote them off as a game studio worthy of any future consideration. While this thread isn’t for impressions and I have no desire to derail the train I do feel a need to note that some advertised features feel so shallowly implemented as to be falsely advertised. They have the appearance but the action combat played like stationary tab targeted combat with a reticle vs static enemies incapable of killing the character.

• bubbabillbubbabill Member Posts: 80
    myself i was playing this game daily until open beta and players found a huge exploit with currency and the company didnt do a wipe so i just uninstalled the game then and hasnt been on my computer since
  • BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

Well, get ready for another set of "features" regarding NW and whatever new stuff they are doing: there was a new banner on the site today, and that means fresh ad money.

And when there is ad money, there are fluff pieces.

Lead time for paid advertisements...err... "features" here is usually under a week.

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530
    It was a disgusting pay to win game. Where you could grind pvp and come out with $3.45 worth of days work to show. Considering how enchanting required cash shop items to work, well it simply was impossible to be BiS without being a wallet warrior.
  • BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    Originally posted by Burntvet

Well, get ready for another set of "features" regarding NW and whatever new stuff they are doing: there was a new banner on the site today, and that means fresh ad money.

And when there is ad money, there are fluff pieces.

Lead time for paid advertisements...err... "features" here is usually under a week.

Nope, I was wrong.

Same day "newsvertizement".

Pay for ads, get fluff pieces.

• SoraksisSoraksis Member UncommonPosts: 294
    My biggest let down with this game for me is they still haven't brought out any new classes.
  • BezerkinBezerkin Member UncommonPosts: 5

If you want to pay $15 a month on a subscription and $50 for the game.  You are paying to win.  The F2P model allows you to spend that same money and compete at the same level as some of the best players.  The beauty is in the effect it has on people that want to pay $0.  You can spend nothing and play and be competitive if you really want to.  

I will agree the launch/open Beta was a disaster but most the people who on this forum have nothing but bad things to say.  

I log in everyday and putt around a little, do my dailies and so forth.  Waiting for the Archer and other new expansions.  It's fun and it's free you can level to the cap without spending a dime. 

BTW to all the naysayers, although there may not be 2 million players every time I log in there are a multitude of people and always several in the zones to group with. 

- Squishmitten -

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,107

I think a big part of the problem is this game is not an MMO... Its more like the original Guildwars which was a CO-RPG than an MMO like WoW. If you are looking for a game where you are gonna see a ton of people in the game world (not the lobby), you are going to be disapointed. I however enjoy this game quite a bit. I joined hoping for an MMO but stayed after I noticed I had never seen a massive amount of players outside the lobby because the gameplay and graphics are great.

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,107
    Originally posted by Avoxia
    Originally posted by azzamasin
    Originally posted by Avoxia
    Originally posted by Sal1
    I am still playing the game. I don't give a rat's ass what the hype meter says. It's a really fun game to play. 

This!

And I'm having a ball with Foundry.

Ever wish MMO's would go back to having housing?  Well so did I and now I have the house of my dreams, complete with its own backstory and quest thanks to the Foundry.  That would of never happened in a normal MMO.  If you want to check out my creation search for "Ashbane Manor".  It is my own personal House with dungeon, exterior and questing area.  As I stated months ago the Foundry is the 1 tool that will change the game nad keep me playing, and surprise, I was right.

Hi! Search for it in game via foundry?  Housing is 50% of why I loved UO so much! I think it's time to start the download! :) 

Yes from the homepage (the screen that pops up when you first load into the game, forget the default keybind but mine is K) open the Foundry Tab, open the new tab and search for Ashbane Manor.

I put in a few mobs to give visitors something to do.  As a Drow Renegade (HotN Exclusive race) the backstory of my villa is that there has been several attempts from loyal supporters of Loth to kill me for my betrayal.  It starts by interacting with a decayed corpse of a Drow Assasin I strung up from there you can look around the outside, kill a few mobs (fauna typical to a forest in D&D) and even perform a jumping puzzle, if your into Parkour. From there transition into the inside and check my throne room, the study, the master bedroom and the main quarters.  As you explore you observe that something isn't quite right with the basement and upon reaching said basement you notice an entrance was made through solid rock.  Exploring this opening you transition into a cavern where you notice Drow have positioned themselves to make a go at the Manor once again.  Upon dispatching them you return to the manor and meet my Human Slave, who happens to be my 60 Trickster Rogue.  (there's a backstory with that too, but you'd have to inspect my Great Weapon Fighter's (Main) character sheet to read about how my GWF rescued my Rogue from the Gallows of the Dragon Coast and ever since he swore a life debt to my Drow Main.  I digress though.

The ability to customize (over 200 hours have been spent fine tuning my personal house) and create something no housing system has ever came close to replicating is just 1 facet on why I love the game and the Foundry.  

This sounds cool! I remember my first house in UO was a large tower and I spent a ton of time customizing it.  I remember how much fun I had doing that kind of stuff -- I know it's not the fast-paced PvP that most people loved about UO (I played at the launch of Renaissance and while PvP was fun and out there, I loved the crafting/PvM spawns etc most) but it was just one facet that was awesome. :) 

Edit* - does it matter which server I'm on to see a house of someone on a different realm? THX. :) 

Just so you aware, there is no player housing. You aren't going to have a home like UO or Everquest where you can drop items off for storage or decorate randomly. What is actually happening is you are creating a level. The user here (azzamasin) has created a level he called a home. He owns this home no more than any other player that logs on. The difference is, he can log in to the toolset builder and make changes to it, then submit it for approval. Its a level designer, not a home.... BIG DIFFERENCE. To see this home, you have to load up the Foundry which is an in game search for user created content. You'll find his "house" level in that search menu.

As someone coming from UO and EQ2 houses, trust me... no houses in this game.

• SamuraiXIVSamuraiXIV Member Posts: 354

What happened to Neverwinter???

The same that happens to all free to play scam games, and same that will happen to any future free to play upcoming games including EQN.

"mmorpg.com forum admins are all TROLLS and losers in real life"
    My opinion

• StrangerousStrangerous Member Posts: 165

Everything PWI touches turns to trash (imo)

Might have been semi into this game if it was a 3D ARPG but there isn't any itemization so it fails that one.

Just a continuation of D&D games being nothing more than money grabs and nothing about making a great game based on the D&D world...which has so much they can build on but always choose people who will half ass the game and slap their IP on a standard issue game with no heart.

Even if it was a decent game, PWI would find a way to ruin it via the cash shop/support/ect

• furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968
    Originally posted by Sal1
    I am still playing the game. I don't give a rat's ass what the hype meter says. It's a really fun game to play. 

This!

And I'm having a ball with Foundry.

Ever wish MMO's would go back to having housing?  Well so did I and now I have the house of my dreams, complete with its own backstory and quest thanks to the Foundry.  That would of never happened in a normal MMO.  If you want to check out my creation search for "Ashbane Manor".  It is my own personal House with dungeon, exterior and questing area.  As I stated months ago the Foundry is the 1 tool that will change the game nad keep me playing, and surprise, I was right.

The only saving grace of Neverwinter... even though the Foundry is half assed.  They should have gone the full monty and gave players the capability to create Persistent Worlds which is what sustained NWN 1&2 and why people still keep playing it.

Neverwinter had huge potential but Craptic blew it the moment they went an intrusive cash shop and doing an themepark bastardization of the IP.

If I want to play a D&D game then I would stick with DDO, which by far offers the better D&D experience.  Neverwinter if you want UGC stuff that has the lore of FR even though everything else is far from anything D&D.

The game might be worth trying out once they actually have a selection of classes that are of a variety along with races.  5 classes with a single paragon path last I played is boring as fuck with 2 of the classes I have no interest in (guardian fighter and control wizard blah) and one class completely not the style I want (laser pewpew clerics can go fuck emselves as I want my battle cleric), which leave one one class I actually like (TR) and the other I'm neutral on (GWF).  Which all the classes have zero playstyle changes.  Like how in WoW each class as three distinct talent tress all of which greatly diversify the playstyle.

People gave Neverwinter a shot and Craptic failed to deliver big time.  Not to mention Craptic lied.  They said content, races, classes will be 100% free and harped on it big time and already we are seeing races you have to buy via founders pack or adventure packs or whatever they are calling the module bundle stuff and how quests have to be purchased.

• LanessarLanessar Member Posts: 87

I personally chalk the failures up to poor development. Don't forget the races they simply didn't add (drow available 60 days after launch is still in the FAQ). Even their own mods quit because of development misinformation like that.

Neverwinter just fell short. It was overhyped, features were named as being available at release (which weren't) or shortly after (which never came, even though additional classes were already being tested 6 months prior - they just vanished) and issues during alpha/beta weren't addressed. When it went live, the devs had to knee-jerk so many exploits (which were known way prior to open beta, I reported several of the major ones) that the game ended up being pretty shallow and one-dimensional. Any interesting game mechanics for classes were dumbed down because of whiners. I expected that (it's Cryptic, they've followed this model with every single game they have released).

I don't think the game as a f2P game is so horrible that it should never be played. But I don't see how with the shallowness present (grinding runes or T2 or Gg being the only options) you could make this game your "home". Maybe in 5 years or so, enough features will be added to make it have some depth and replayability, but at this point, I'd have to say "ride the ride, but go home with another lady".

• VassagoMaelVassagoMael Member Posts: 555
    There is only so much fun that can be had from buying $50 horses and badgers.

Free to play = content updates for the cash shop. Buy to play = content updates for the cash shop.
    Subscription = Actual content updates!