Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What happened to Neverwinter?

Comments

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Originally posted by cybersurfr

1) The players do their discussions on the official forums.

2) The players are in-game playing.

3) It's F2P - people can try it for themselves easily without having to form up discussions to sway public opinion.

Personally, I find that nothing really stands out for Neverwinter other than the foundry. It's simply a good, fun, buggy pick-up game.

I haven't seen a drop out on the players since I started on "OB" launch. People quit/join on a daily-basis, but the influx more than makes up for those who leave. The player base is just as active as ever. With ESO delayed and Widstar still "coming soon", FF IV:ARR is the only upcoming competition in the themepark demographic.

Yup, it's a standard Cryptic game.

That means it's a well-known IP slapped on a generic and forgettable MMO frame.

The whole purpose of the "product" is to attract the biggest amount of players possible, not to retain them. High player turnover means plenty of new people starting the game, and new players are the most likely Cash Shop customers.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

The game was devoured, consumed and the left overs are laying there for grabs... 

There is a group of players still playing and creating foundry missions...

from which some are really really fun...

but most people just moved on..

The game was fun, but not good enough to keep the majorrity of players, the combat was actually fun, but there where to few skills to keep it interesting over the long time.  Quests where actually under par, childish, and Voice overs where horrible.  The only really fun content came from the foundry.  There was no more character advancement at max level.  All in all, it felt like a game and not like a virtuall world and so people moved on as they happen to do with most games.

Good thing its F2P then especially considering in a month or so 3 new races, 1 new class, 2 new professions, New Paragon Tree's for existing classes, new zone, new dungeons, new single player "Campaign" system and new monsters to kill are coming out.  In the mean time you have arguably the single greatest innovative feature ever to grace the genre in the Foundry to keep you busy.

I call it a good game but it's my opinion.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• exwinexwin Member Posts: 221
    What happened? Someone sold it to Cryptic.
  • Athena_StarfireAthena_Starfire Member UncommonPosts: 213
    Originally posted by steamtank

if you are going to make an mmo.... you should probably make the game better than something that came out in 2002 (neverwinter nights)

as soon as i found out they were not going to allow an even more in depth toolset over Aurora, I knew it was a failboat.

I decided to try it because it was 'free', after 1 painful experience in the 'Foundry' I went back to my NWN1 Megaworld I build from square 1. Not that it mattered, Perfect World screwed the Foundry Authours, player-wise. Foundry doesn't make the money..so.

The game in my humble opinion was a play to get the old NWN players. At least they did it for free and not rip eveyone off like Blizzard did with Diablo III. Everyone spend $60 on that and it flopped in a month because of a poor implamentation compared to Diablo II (which is still going after 13 years).

I look at the bright side, I held off paying $60/$200 for a beta hoping it was "Neverwinter Nights 3", I am very happy about that.

• mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,626
    Still playing & enjoying the game.
  • quseioquseio Member UncommonPosts: 234

the ad exploits, the rollback,only 2 group pvp maps one imo which sucks hello rivenscar unbalanced pvp youve got to have mutant like reflexes to win to.

lack of classes theres only 3 and one paragon per...

nothing much to do at 60 and oh yeah the game is very much ptw  keys,wards(its  very unlikely to get wards past 5 wo spending  zen oh sure u can get lucky i hear but soo rare) companions mounts  profression assets that reduce time  taken by up to 50% per slot theres more  probably

thats what happend addd in the fanboi complaints and its not good

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Played the first beta and never looked at the game again. We need real mmos.image
  • SquishydewSquishydew Member UncommonPosts: 1,107

Everyone i know is quitting the game really, theres just nothing to do at the end of it, and all the content feels exactly the same ( boss fights, mob packs in dungeons. )

Gauntlgrym didn't draw any of my friends attention either, they just simply didn't care, mostly because they're forcing pve'ers to pvp and visa versa, it's just poorly done.

Game had potential, but the lack of end game content and the poor design of it (mass Adds = their way of difficulty ) just ruined it.

• AnslemAnslem Member CommonPosts: 215
    Originally posted by azzamasin
    Originally posted by Avoxia
    Originally posted by azzamasin
    Originally posted by Sal1
    I am still playing the game. I don't give a rat's ass what the hype meter says. It's a really fun game to play. 

This!

And I'm having a ball with Foundry.

Ever wish MMO's would go back to having housing?  Well so did I and now I have the house of my dreams, complete with its own backstory and quest thanks to the Foundry.  That would of never happened in a normal MMO.  If you want to check out my creation search for "Ashbane Manor".  It is my own personal House with dungeon, exterior and questing area.  As I stated months ago the Foundry is the 1 tool that will change the game nad keep me playing, and surprise, I was right.

Hi! Search for it in game via foundry?  Housing is 50% of why I loved UO so much! I think it's time to start the download! :) 

Yes from the homepage (the screen that pops up when you first load into the game, forget the default keybind but mine is K) open the Foundry Tab, open the new tab and search for Ashbane Manor.

I put in a few mobs to give visitors something to do.  As a Drow Renegade (HotN Exclusive race) the backstory of my villa is that there has been several attempts from loyal supporters of Loth to kill me for my betrayal.  It starts by interacting with a decayed corpse of a Drow Assasin I strung up from there you can look around the outside, kill a few mobs (fauna typical to a forest in D&D) and even perform a jumping puzzle, if your into Parkour. From there transition into the inside and check my throne room, the study, the master bedroom and the main quarters.  As you explore you observe that something isn't quite right with the basement and upon reaching said basement you notice an entrance was made through solid rock.  Exploring this opening you transition into a cavern where you notice Drow have positioned themselves to make a go at the Manor once again.  Upon dispatching them you return to the manor and meet my Human Slave, who happens to be my 60 Trickster Rogue.  (there's a backstory with that too, but you'd have to inspect my Great Weapon Fighter's (Main) character sheet to read about how my GWF rescued my Rogue from the Gallows of the Dragon Coast and ever since he swore a life debt to my Drow Main.  I digress though.

The ability to customize (over 200 hours have been spent fine tuning my personal house) and create something no housing system has ever came close to replicating is just 1 facet on why I love the game and the Foundry.  

This sounds cool! I remember my first house in UO was a large tower and I spent a ton of time customizing it.  I remember how much fun I had doing that kind of stuff -- I know it's not the fast-paced PvP that most people loved about UO (I played at the launch of Renaissance and while PvP was fun and out there, I loved the crafting/PvM spawns etc most) but it was just one facet that was awesome. :) 

Edit* - does it matter which server I'm on to see a house of someone on a different realm? THX. :) 

Played: Ultima Online - DaoC - WoW -

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495
    Originally posted by Avoxia

This sounds cool! I remember my first house in UO was a large tower and I spent a ton of time customizing it.  I remember how much fun I had doing that kind of stuff -- I know it's not the fast-paced PvP that most people loved about UO (I played at the launch of Renaissance and while PvP was fun and out there, I loved the crafting/PvM spawns etc most) but it was just one facet that was awesome. :) 

Edit* - does it matter which server I'm on to see a house of someone on a different realm? THX. :) 

There is no housing system in Neverwinter.

You can get pretty creative with the Foundry and it's sure is fun to toy around with and build things and sure the above poster who build his "dream house" has done so but it's still far away from a actual housing system.

Still working on my foundry mission, but at the rate I am going this might take several months if ever for me to complete it.

• cylon8cylon8 Member UncommonPosts: 362
    maybe because its a game built on the same sto/co engine that they hype for something new died so fast.  It's a midrange game..it's ok for a non sub game but just ok

so say we all

• PanzerbasePanzerbase Member Posts: 423
    Just toss it in the dust bin of failed MMO's such as SWOTR.
  • HellidolHellidol Member UncommonPosts: 476
    Originally posted by Shrilly
    All the hype is gone no more discussions even tho it is in its most talked about stage open beta. Why is the hype meter pushed it out of the top lists is this a game that didn't reach the standards?

PWE/cryptic killed any chance of that game being good, their unethical business practice has driven soooooooo many people away they wont recover with people like me to remind them how I got ripped off. I wont go into a bunch of detail but lets say i bought something off their store, never go the items, put in three tickets, three responses saying something about tickets being in a void, this all happen in a 2 month time span.

My hope is someone will get a class action law suite against them so I can jump on being I lost enough money to want it back.....

• nachofootnachofoot Member UncommonPosts: 122
    Originally posted by Agoden

Everyone i know is quitting the game really, theres just nothing to do at the end of it, and all the content feels exactly the same ( boss fights, mob packs in dungeons. )

Gauntlgrym didn't draw any of my friends attention either, they just simply didn't care, mostly because they're forcing pve'ers to pvp and visa versa, it's just poorly done.

Game had potential, but the lack of end game content and the poor design of it (mass Adds = their way of difficulty ) just ruined it.

Bingo.

End game content consists of

1.  One boss that everyone wails on

2.  Non-stop spawning adds that the Control Wizards have to control.

There are no boss mechanics.  Its all cookie-cutter.

• BezerkinBezerkin Member UncommonPosts: 5

Wondering if anyone plays or played DDO?  Took a couple of years before it really took off and I had quite a bit of fun with it.  Sure the game could be better but I still play and enjoy it for what it does have.  I look to the future to see what's next.  There is of course a long list of MMOs in the "graveyard" but there is another list of MMOs that started slow and got better.  

I'm just traumatized there are no Rangers...lol 

- Squishmitten -

• nationalcitynationalcity Member UncommonPosts: 501

Caturday happened NUFF SAID..............

Some people still have AD hoarded from that fiasco not to mention the negative auctions..............

Then rollback after rollback..........

way to many exploits in this POS..........

I think the exploits were what drove players away all of these happened within the course of a week or so one after another............

• sirphobossirphobos Member UncommonPosts: 620

Buggy game with an insane amount of exploits, only five classes in a DnD game and the five classes that are in the game aren't even finished, insanely quick and linear leveling, bad PvP, no endgame to speak of.  I think that about sums it up.  Really the only redeeming quality in this game is the foundry.

That being said, I did enjoy leveling up one character to max level in this game.  Unfortunately that only took about a week and a half.  After that I quickly grew bored out of my mind.

• DonVadimDonVadim Member UncommonPosts: 46
    Perfect World happened.
  • LacedOpiumLacedOpium Member EpicPosts: 2,327

I'm not going to deny it's fun factor but this game was a huge fail before it even set ship due to the massive beta exploits that were never addressed before its release.  The massive amount of exploits in this game, the fubar'd economy, and the lack of gumption for the Dev's to do anything about it, well drove me away forever. 

Nothing worse than a game with unaddressed exploits up the ying yang and the resultant messed up economy it creates.

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    Originally posted by bezerkin

Wondering if anyone plays or played DDO?  Took a couple of years before it really took off and I had quite a bit of fun with it.  Sure the game could be better but I still play and enjoy it for what it does have.  I look to the future to see what's next.  There is of course a long list of MMOs in the "graveyard" but there is another list of MMOs that started slow and got better.  

I'm just traumatized there are no Rangers...lol 

I played DDO quite a bit. DDO did action combat very well and still allowed you to use a tab target interface if you wanted to. The class building in that game was a separate metagame, and I leveled many alts just for the fun of seeing the build come to life.

By comparison NWO was a silly little toy with no depth.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• SquishydewSquishydew Member UncommonPosts: 1,107

Perfect world happened.

There was just to little content, the cash shop was to greedy, the auction house non-functional. They let players shit on the economy, and there where to many exploits to even count.

Pretty much my entire guild quit ( it was entirely capped with hundreds of people on each day ) when we hit neverwinter castle and clerics where nerfed, leaving about 5 to 10 people on a day that barely spoke.

• Synns77Synns77 Member Posts: 124

Greedy cash shop, felt nothing like dungeons and dragons, too many load screens and far to instanced. Basically the game is a mess and did absolutely nothing I hoped the game would do and does nothing I wanted from a d&d mmo.

Major Disappointment of a game.

• ariboersmaariboersma Member Posts: 1,802
    the game is fine up until lvl 40-50 when your starter pet becomes near useless and they want you to fork out 40 bucks for a new one.. oh that and how healers end up tanking everything because the threat is all messed up. Other than those two doosies its a great game.

• ariboersmaariboersma Member Posts: 1,802
    Originally posted by Agoden

Perfect world happened.

There was just to little content, the cash shop was to greedy, the auction house non-functional. They let players shit on the economy, and there where to many exploits to even count.

Pretty much my entire guild quit ( it was entirely capped with hundreds of people on each day ) when we hit neverwinter castle and clerics where nerfed, leaving about 5 to 10 people on a day that barely spoke.

whoa I quit before this! what did they nerf and how/why?!?!? I played a cleric and the healing was fine except for threat issues.. I got very very tired of tanking bosses and the tank never being able to get it off me(and yes I specced into all the threat reduction things) and some of the tanks where pretty good they just didnt have the ability to pull the mobs/boss off me

• ego13ego13 Member Posts: 267

Neverwinter happened.

Take a boat....punch a lot of holes in it.  Then take you and a group of friends and launch said boat into the sea.  Yeah, you could probably keep it afloat for a while bailing water, but eventually you'll get tired and sink.

Jussayin'

Just because every car has similar features doesn't mean that Ferraris are copies of Model Ts. Progress requires failure and refining.