Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So I am back to wow....again.

SawlstoneSawlstone Member Posts: 301

After taking the weekend and playing in the FF14:ARR beta and having fun I decided yesterday to go through my installed games and update them and give each one another bit of playing time. Updated were:

Rift - Played 20mins

GW2 - Played 35mins

Neverwinter - Played 5-10mins

TSW - Didnt even get past character select before I went ugh.

Age of Wushu - Played 15mins before I was killed 3 times by the same guy

Age of Conan - Update took a while, played for an hour. I was having fun but it was empty.

Plantside 2 - played for 20mins, then got a headache

SWTOR -  updated, didn't log in.

STO - made a new character was having fun and played up until the first away mission maybe 45mins

Aion - reinstalled, couldnt get my account info to log in....

Dragons Prophet - Logged in, forgot that I was on a EU server. Played for 5 - 10mins then uninstalled this one.

Entropia Universe - Uninstalled

Now as I sat wondering what the heck is going on and realizing that I wanted to get back into a fun mmo where people were and there were things to do, I resubbed to wow. Still after all that is said and done, as much of a love-hate relationship I have with the community in Azeroth, I keep going back. I need to play an mmorpg, its part of my lifestyle. I only wish something would pull me away from wow, because I've tried it all. Anyone else going through this?

Comments

• sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    Ive been playing Darkfall (one of the more immmersive games out atm imo) waiting for Everquest Next.
  • HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030
    I'm sure you'll find plenty of people playing and loving all of those MMOs you listed.  Myself, GW2 is easily on pace to one day overtake WoW as my longest played and most fun overall MMO.  
  • SawlstoneSawlstone Member Posts: 301
    Originally posted by sanshi44
    Ive been playing Darkfall (one of the more immmersive games out atm imo) waiting for Everquest Next.

Darkfall Unholy Wars? Or just the Original?

Originally posted by Homitu
    I'm sure you'll find plenty of people playing and loving all of those MMOs you listed.  Myself, GW2 is easily on pace to one day overtake WoW as my longest played and most fun overall MMO.  

Sadly I dont get the same sense of accomplishment in GW2 as I have in Wow. I do like the game, but its just turned bland for me. I'm glad you have found that then :)

• dwarfusdwarfus Member UncommonPosts: 93
    Originally posted by Sawlstone

After taking the weekend and playing in the FF14:ARR beta and having fun I decided yesterday to go through my installed games and update them and give each one another bit of playing time. Updated were:

Rift - Played 20mins

GW2 - Played 35mins

Neverwinter - Played 5-10mins

TSW - Didnt even get past character select before I went ugh.

Age of Wushu - Played 15mins before I was killed 3 times by the same guy

Age of Conan - Update took a while, played for an hour. I was having fun but it was empty.

Plantside 2 - played for 20mins, then got a headache

SWTOR -  updated, didn't log in.

STO - made a new character was having fun and played up until the first away mission maybe 45mins

Aion - reinstalled, couldnt get my account info to log in....

Dragons Prophet - Logged in, forgot that I was on a EU server. Played for 5 - 10mins then uninstalled this one.

Entropia Universe - Uninstalled

Now as I sat wondering what the heck is going on and realizing that I wanted to get back into a fun mmo where people were and there were things to do, I resubbed to wow. Still after all that is said and done, as much of a love-hate relationship I have with the community in Azeroth, I keep going back. I need to play an mmorpg, its part of my lifestyle. I only wish something would pull me away from wow, because I've tried it all. Anyone else going through this?

OMG, it's my twin. I have the same exact feelings on your first 7 games listed. Kinda wish Planetside 2 did not give me a headache, but it does. Anyway, I'm currently playing wow for these reasons. 

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

Well, while none of those games are better than WoW (don't want to hear it trolls), I will say that you didn't give most of them a chance.

Rift - Rift's best feature is the soul system and is the most fun at the low-mid levels. At cap you get into the cookie cutter "optimal" builds that some guys with spreadsheets agreed on, so it loses the best thing it has going for it. But 20  minutes is really not enough time to get into it.

GW2 - Well, sadly, what you get from GW2 at the start is the same thing you get the rest of the game. I don't think 35 minutes is enough to get a full taste of how well put together the world is, but in terms of abilities, it's very much the same throughout the leveling process. And yes, I have every weapon skill on every class unlocked. The gameplay does not change, I do think it was a mistake to just give people a handful of skills (not all of which are useful in mob to mob combat) and let them use those the entire time.

Neverwinter - Eh, you should have spent at least a few hours with it to unlock your skills, play through more of the content and do some foundry missions. If I'm honest, it is a shallow game, but 5-10 minutes is like watching the FBI warning on a dvd and then taking it out.

TSW - Heh, yes the character creation is horrid. And if you can stomach the first, let's say 2-5 hours you might actually enjoy giving this a play through. Or at least through Kingsmouth.

AoW - Worst tutorial ever. Also, because it's a sandbox w/pvp yes, it will be populated by jerkoffs. But it is a good game if you can push past the tutorial and learn your first three skill sets.

AoC - I haven't been back since launch, I was one of those "Tortage is amazing during beta, I'll preorder collectors edition!" people. Well, tortage was amazing, the rest of the game sucked and I never went back to see if they improved it. Probably won't go back either.

PS2 - Haven't played this.

SWTOR - Good thing you didn't log in. This game is a turd. Quite possibly one of the worst AAA games I've ever seen. If it didn't say Bioware and Star Wars you can rest assured this game would have flopped even harder than it did. It's bad and should feel bad.

STO - Haven't played this.

Aion - Game would be great if it didn't have open world PvP. Oh well.

Dragons Prophet - Pretty fun, but it won't scratch the MMO itch as it's more of an arcade game than MMO.

Entropia - lol

• RaijukinRaijukin Member Posts: 63
    have you tried DCuo? i still love the combat system the best over any other mmorpg
  • sado2020sado2020 Member Posts: 112

My feelings are a bit opposite while currently im enjoying Rift and hoping once the semester is over to get back into DCUO and TSW I don't think anything will get me back into WoW.

Its like a relationship, had a good run with WoW, but its over and trying to rekindle those feelings just wont work XD

Playing: TSW, D&D NW, Defiance (more the tv show than game >.> ) LotRO, DCUO

Originally posted by Rusque

Well, while none of those games are better than WoW (don't want to hear it trolls), I will say that you didn't give most of them a chance.

Rift - Rift's best feature is the soul system and is the most fun at the low-mid levels. At cap you get into the cookie cutter "optimal" builds that some guys with spreadsheets agreed on, so it loses the best thing it has going for it. But 20  minutes is really not enough time to get into it.

GW2 - Well, sadly, what you get from GW2 at the start is the same thing you get the rest of the game. I don't think 35 minutes is enough to get a full taste of how well put together the world is, but in terms of abilities, it's very much the same throughout the leveling process. And yes, I have every weapon skill on every class unlocked. The gameplay does not change, I do think it was a mistake to just give people a handful of skills (not all of which are useful in mob to mob combat) and let them use those the entire time.

Neverwinter - Eh, you should have spent at least a few hours with it to unlock your skills, play through more of the content and do some foundry missions. If I'm honest, it is a shallow game, but 5-10 minutes is like watching the FBI warning on a dvd and then taking it out.

TSW - Heh, yes the character creation is horrid. And if you can stomach the first, let's say 2-5 hours you might actually enjoy giving this a play through. Or at least through Kingsmouth.

AoW - Worst tutorial ever. Also, because it's a sandbox w/pvp yes, it will be populated by jerkoffs. But it is a good game if you can push past the tutorial and learn your first three skill sets.

AoC - I haven't been back since launch, I was one of those "Tortage is amazing during beta, I'll preorder collectors edition!" people. Well, tortage was amazing, the rest of the game sucked and I never went back to see if they improved it. Probably won't go back either.

PS2 - Haven't played this.

SWTOR - Good thing you didn't log in. This game is a turd. Quite possibly one of the worst AAA games I've ever seen. If it didn't say Bioware and Star Wars you can rest assured this game would have flopped even harder than it did. It's bad and should feel bad.

STO - Haven't played this.

Aion - Game would be great if it didn't have open world PvP. Oh well.

Dragons Prophet - Pretty fun, but it won't scratch the MMO itch as it's more of an arcade game than MMO.

Entropia - lol

@ Dwarf...good I'm not alone!!

Yeah Rusque, I guess I should have said that all these above games I purchased at their launch. I only now tried the F2P ones since they are getting better. I have played many others not listed as well. All were installed after I had gotten sick/burntout on wow. I did give them chances and max leveled in in most I bought. Rift is the closest for me in enjoyment.

• sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    Originally posted by sanshi44

Darkfall Unholy Wars? Or just the Original?

I played both buy Original no longer exsist they closed server to make room for unholy wars which is what im currently playing.

• codifiercodifier Member UncommonPosts: 47
    I feel like this post is dumb, because you didn't explain what level u were in those games and why did you play it only so short time. Rift is definitely worth it, now it's F2P and free content is there, it's definitely worth playing more than 20 minutes. If you would have given more time to other MMOs, maybe your mind would've changed. So now you're back to playing the boring themepark called World of Warcraft: Fails of Pandaria.
    Originally posted by Raijukin
    have you tried DCuo? i still love the combat system the best over any other mmorpg

No, I have not. I gave up on my Comic fancy after Ben Affleck wrecked Daredevil for me. DD was my favorite dammit.

• RudedawgCDNRudedawgCDN Member UncommonPosts: 507

I had the same problem as you until I tried DDO.

DDO is a deep complex fun game with a lot to do.

• BlazeyerBlazeyer Member UncommonPosts: 562

Rift - Great game, but the character models are so ugly. The armor is so painful to look at. I can't play it because of this, say what you want, but I can't feel any sense of joy when I get new armor and it looks like a turd.

GW2 - No thanks.

Neverwinter - Great game also, but with the way it's been run into the ground so far, who really wants to play this? Also, the worst thing I've ever seen in any MMO is that YOUR COMPANIONS GO INTO DUNGEONS WITH YOU!?!?!? WHAT! It's like 10 people doing a 5 man dungeon. It's so stupid.

TSW - I actually enjoyed the little bit I played of TSW, just not enough to buy it after a trial.

Age of Wushu - My girlfriend has tried to get me to play this with her ... oh about every day. I hate this game. To me it feels overly complicated and just blah.

Age of Conan - "Update took a while, played for an hour. I was having fun but it was empty." - Same

Plantside 2 - Not sure why people like this game so much, I just don't get it. I played it for like an hour one day, and went back to BF3.

SWTOR -  I'm one of the few people who really likes SWTOR. That being said, I in no way could play the f2p version. And since I'm jumping around games so much, I don't really feel like investing in a game I won't play much.

STO - I tried this game once like 3 years ago, no dice. I hear it's actually better now, but unless shatner does a price line negotiator style karate move on me, I won't check it out anytime soon.

Aion - "reinstalled, couldnt get my account info to log in...." It's always such a pain in the ass to get my NC account stuff. It's clearly the worst system around. Every and anytime I try to play a NC game I end up having 2 hours of customer support and emails ahead of me. But I logged into Aion, saw some "kanye" style glasses I have were like 10 million kinah on the AH, which is like 20x what I have in my bank, decide that the economy is beyond my reach (plus I just never enjoyed the combat).

Dragons Prophet - I actually really like this game lol. Enough that I put $10 into SC cash (I've only used $3 of it though). It's soooo empty though. The combat is really fun, and honestly I don't have much to say negative.

I have recently (yesterday) just started playing WoW again after idk 5 months? And when I did back then I only played 2 of my 10 day MoP trial. I really love the battle pets, it's got my gf to enjoy the game, which is good (happy women = life is 10000x easier).

However, once ffxiv releases it's all over. I've played enough of the betas, read enough about it, and have enough friends ready that it's on like donkey kong.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by Homitu I'm sure you'll find plenty of people playing and loving all of those MMOs you listed.  Myself, GW2 is easily on pace to one day overtake WoW as my longest played and most fun overall MMO.  
    Sadly I dont get the same sense of accomplishment in GW2 as I have in Wow.

You don't really accomplish anything in wow either.
    people you interact with are using you to acquire gear. Gear that will lose its value and reset every 3-6 months.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• killion81killion81 Member UncommonPosts: 995

I feel like the premise of the OP is too complex for these forums, based off some of the replies that have been made already.  Apparently it is not fathomable that one could go back to a game they had played in the past in order to give it another 10-45 minutes.  

If you put play time numbers in a post, they MUST be a first time play experience only (again, according to some of the replies).  Taking this as fact, the OP did not give each game enough time. ;)

Yes, this post was sarcastic.  It would be great if people took time to fully read and comprehend a post before replying to it.

On topic, I agree.  I ended up back in WoW but after 6 months or so of play, I find it's starting to lose it's shininess again.

• BlazeyerBlazeyer Member UncommonPosts: 562
    Originally posted by Nitth

Originally posted by Homitu I'm sure you'll find plenty of people playing and loving all of those MMOs you listed.  Myself, GW2 is easily on pace to one day overtake WoW as my longest played and most fun overall MMO.  

people you interact with are using you to acquire gear. Gear that will lose its value and reset every 3-6 months.

^ So you're saying that you don't accomplish anything in...every mmo.... that provides content updates...?

• NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673

You don't accomplish anything in any MMO (except maybe EVE), but that's not really the point. WoW is great at giving you a sense of accomplishment and uses that as it's prime motivator, whereas GW2 completely eschews that mechanic and just counts on immediate gameplay fun. For some players that's enough, for others it's not.

• killion81killion81 Member UncommonPosts: 995
    Originally posted by Blazeyer

^ So you're saying that you don't accomplish anything in...every mmo.... that provides content updates...?

You accomplish entertainment, just like any other game.  That *should* be the end result of any in game endeavors.  If it's not entertaining, you're just wasting your time that could be better spent on something that IS entertaining or betters you in some way.

• piquetpiquet Member UncommonPosts: 189

I went through the same about 7 months ago, and always ended up back in "my game" (Rift). After going back there for the 3rd or 4th time, I realized that I was actually quite happy where I was and that no game would ever satisfy my every wish. Realizing this made me enjoy the game even more and I haven't stopped playing since and don't play anything else.

Sounds like you have found "your game" too, which is a great thing! Hope you will have the same experience as I did and start enjoying WoW for what it is and not what you want it to be. :-)

You don't really accomplish anything in wow either. people you interact with are using you to acquire gear. Gear that will lose its value and reset every 3-6 months.

I'm not saying that at all. i'm saying wow doesn't.

Take tsw for example, New aux weapons are added every now and again and they don't subtract from anything.

However, that still suffers from the gear treadmill as well. As items will eventually devalue and get reset.

My point: In wow that game is so gear driven that its the only progression system. And you will never reach your potential because "the goal posts always move back".

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

Originally posted by Naqaj

You don't accomplish anything in any MMO (except maybe EVE), but that's not really the point. WoW is great at giving you a sense of accomplishment and uses that as it's prime motivator, whereas GW2 completely eschews that mechanic and just counts on immediate gameplay fun. For some players that's enough, for others it's not.

Well that guy that made $650K  EUR playing 'lol' Entropia certainly accomplished something. For me a sense of accomplishment is being proud over the achievements my abilities have got me.

As to the point of me not giving much time to the other games this is certainly true, but you can agree I'd hope that if you start playing a came and hoping its gonna get better after spending an hour+ on it.....well thats just time your never gonna get back :)

• bubalubabubaluba Member Posts: 434
    Because WOW is only good mmorpg out there, rest is  crap

Originally posted by killion81

You don't really accomplish anything in wow either. people you interact with are using you to acquire gear. Gear that will lose its value and reset every 3-6 months.

You accomplish entertainment, just like any other game.  That *should* be the end result of any in game endeavors.  If it's not entertaining, you're just wasting your time that could be better spent on something that IS entertaining or betters you in some way.

That's actually what i was eluding to in my post.. Dungeon running and raiding should be fun And should allow you to be social with other players.

But the emphasis on gear now is so great that players only see you as a means to an end and have no desire to be sociable or indulge in the entertainment aspect.

How do i know this as fact? Because systems like "the dungeon finder" and "the raid finder" are tools that remove the 'hard stuff' and optimize the time needed to acquire gear not social interaction.

If people were doing these activities for fun or social merits then there wouldn't be an issue to form your own groups through guilds or friends and keep trying content even if you cant knock it off in one lockout by exersizing teamwork.

• Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    Originally posted by killion81

I feel like the premise of the OP is too complex for these forums, based off some of the replies that have been made already.  Apparently it is not fathomable that one could go back to a game they had played in the past in order to give it another 10-45 minutes.  

If you put play time numbers in a post, they MUST be a first time play experience only (again, according to some of the replies).  Taking this as fact, the OP did not give each game enough time. ;)

Yes, this post was sarcastic.  It would be great if people took time to fully read and comprehend a post before replying to it.

On topic, I agree.  I ended up back in WoW but after 6 months or so of play, I find it's starting to lose it's shininess again.

Thought it was just me, but I se you understood it as well. He went back and tried games HES PLAYED BEFORE. I can t disagree with him outside of EQ2, IMO the best themepark on the market as we speak. WoW a close second though.

As far as FFXIV, I ll be playing that along side EQ2 I m sure, waiting on EQNext. When that's out, I might be playing to EQ games or EQNext and WoW. I couldn t stomach most of those games mentioned, but PS2 is still on my HD and I play it about 10 hours a week, fortunately it doesn t give me a headache. If EQNext is in the SOA All Access thing I ll be getting that for sure.