Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Another faceroll easy MMO like GW2?

Comments

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773
    Originally posted by Mtibbs1989
    Originally posted by rojo6934
    i love how people say GW2 is beyond easy and then cry about the dungeons being too difficult because theres no mmo dumbing down trinity mechanic in place. People like different things. Every mmo doesnt have to be the exact same as every other mmo. I cant talk about FFXIV because i havent tried beta (waiting for next weekend) but im hoping it will also be a fun experience since (to my little knowledge) the trinity there is not heavy (it might be there but not as awful as a couple other games that dont let your class be flexible with more than 1 role).

Hold on Rojo back the bus up. Lol did you just say trinity dumbed down the difficulty? One word dude, Everquest.

no, i mean people say GW2 dungeons are too difficult because it doesnt have a heavy trinity. I say if they add a trinity it will be become easy mode (one healer keeping hp bars full and one tank keeping all the mobs for himself while dps faceroll spam a couple of skills)

Ah, okay I retract my statement. However, there are players who solor GW2 dungeons so I don't know how "hard" people believe them to be...

They are easy to solo http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKy67S6uvNU

Just want to note how this is a faceroll...(I mean clearly it isn't)

I believe almost every single game till existence has been solo on almost any difficulty.

I could be wrong but if not that means every single game in existence is not hard right?

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• rastapastorrastapastor Member UncommonPosts: 188

Can't wait to hear month after release from the same ppl who says FFIV is challenging

"Oh fuck i just beat the fuckin game, it's so fucking boring and easy. I just play 24/7 and have no life, is there any developer that can fulfil my miserable life with more content?" :)

Op stop speculating and just try the game for Yourself, it will be open beta soon, so You will have a chance to taste it on Your own skin. First rule of gaming, don't listen to other players, You can't trust them, haters will tell game is a piece of garbage, fanboys will protect the game to the death. The problem is it is Your taste, and at the end of the day You might like the game while the others will hate it.

From my point of view, it is pretty challenging, maybe it isn't sth extremly hard, but You should have some challange, ofc I don't know what a type of player are You, maybe You are a better player than me so FFIV might be easy for You. Also GW2 is not that easy, You know, it is the lack of the gear progression that made the game longevity short, but hell, try to faceroll high level fractals, i wish You luck ;). Definetly You need to try FFIV on Open Beta ;).

• MagikrorriMMagikrorriM Member UncommonPosts: 223
    Originally posted by rastapastor

Can't wait to hear month after release from the same ppl who says FFIV is challenging

"Oh fuck i just beat the fuckin game, it's so fucking boring and easy. I just play 24/7 and have no life, is there any developer that can fulfil my miserable life with more content?" :)

Op stop speculating and just try the game for Yourself, it will be open beta soon, so You will have a chance to taste it on Your own skin. First rule of gaming, don't listen to other players, You can't trust them, haters will tell game is a piece of garbage, fanboys will protect the game to the death. The problem is it is Your taste, and at the end of the day You might like the game while the others will hate it.

From my point of view, it is pretty challenging, maybe it isn't sth extremly hard, but You should have some challange, ofc I don't know what a type of player are You, maybe You are a better player than me so FFIV might be easy for You. Also GW2 is not that easy, You know, it is the lack of the gear progression that made the game longevity short, but hell, try to faceroll high level fractals, i wish You luck ;). Definetly You need to try FFIV on Open Beta ;).

The only people I can see saying they beat everything in a month are legacy players that have everything (but the new classes) leveled to 50. Everyone else, that's just not going to be possible.

Originally posted by MagikrorriM

The only people I can see saying they beat everything in a month are legacy players that have everything (but the new classes) leveled to 50. Everyone else, that's just not going to be possible.

Don't understimate the power of nolifers man :)

Don't under estimate the game. Progression is still reigned in like ffxi, meaning you can't skip through certain things, and progress, when thinking progression terms, think in terms of ffxi progression. I'll give an example.

Currently, the hunting log you can't get to the next level unless you finish the one prior to it. That means you HAVE to kill everything on the list, before progressing.

• GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245

Some lay under a car everyday try fix it tune it whatever or some go to bar everyday.

But when you play a mmo everyday your nolifer lol.

To each his own as long you have fun and enjoy it thats what counts.

You will repeat my words, ppl will just beat this game pretty fast, gamers are like a swarm nowdays, they eat the content so fast that developers can't keep up with them :). We had many examples before.

Ofc if u make the ridiculous grind, for instance drop rate for particualr item +10000000 to e-penis size to 0.0000000000000000000000000000000000000001% it will take some time to grind this, but the question is, is doing the same thing over and over again fun?

Ppl who drink every day are called alcoholics. ;)

• kabitoshinkabitoshin Member UncommonPosts: 854
    Not 100% sure but think that most content is dumbed down to consume it. Read an article asking Yoshi - P if content is difficult he said the PvE will be difficult for most. Hope this is true cause being difficult is one of its selling points to me.

You will repeat my words, ppl will just beat this game pretty fast, gamers are like a swarm nowdays, they eat the content so fast that developers can't keep up with them :). We had many examples before.

Ofc if u make the ridiculous grind, for instance drop rate for particualr item +10000000 to e-penis size to 0.0000000000000000000000000000000000000001% it will take some time to grind this, but the question is, is doing the same thing over and over again fun?

Ppl who drink every day are called alcoholics. ;)

You don't seem to get it, all solo instances are capped, meaning if you exceed the level for that instance you will be capped to the instance, no high level facerolling. Fates are capped. The solo instance are like the instances of CoP. They are level capped and you will be capped according to the level of the instance. We are talking about ffxi core mechanics, not WoW mechanics.

We will see man, i've seen enough throught the years of MMO gaming to assume that there is NO GAME ON THE MARKET that will fulfill content needs of the swarm :)
  • AyulinAyulin Member Posts: 334
    Originally posted by Kreedz

Let me ask you this...

How much of a future do you see for yourself in an MMO, which was released, then UN-released a few weeks later because the game was so bad, and is now being re-released...

Doesn't exactly inspire me to play this game...

1. 1.0 was not "un-released". It remained released, continued to get updates, patches and fixes, improving right on up to the end when it was taken down to make way for ARR.

2. A Realm Reborn is not just "a re-release".  The game has been rebuilt almost entirely from the ground up. The graphics engine, the server architecture, the world design, the gameplay mechanics and on and on. Roughly 90% of the game is completely redone from scratch. The rest has been polished and reworked for the new tech.

3. If you look around, you'll see general reaction to ARR has been overwhelmingly positive. Quite the opposite of the situation around 1.0 at this time, in Beta. For 1.0, the reaction was "This game is not ready for release. It needs a lot more work". For A Realm Reborn, the response is now "Take my money already!"

In a time where getting accurate information is just a web search away, misinformation is easy to spot. So, here's some good advice: Inform yourself on topics and know what you're talking about before you try to advise others on them.

We will see man, i've seen enough throught the years of MMO gaming to assume that there is NO GAME ON THE MARKET that will fulfill content needs of the swarm :)

Just be thankful there is no xp debt. If you  had not played ffxi, you will have some difficulty, because alot of the strats needed to be carried out are based on strats developed by players in ffxi. Meaning THM playstyle requires you to carry out manaburn tactics to level well. If you don't know what manaburn is you may find some difficulty leveling your THM.

In the short time I had this past beta, I found myself referencing ffxi tactics more often than not. WoW tactics didn't even come up not once.

• NetSageNetSage Member UncommonPosts: 1,059

Let me ask you this...

How much of a future do you see for yourself in an MMO, which was released, then UN-released a few weeks later because the game was so bad, and is now being re-released...

10 years because XI has been around longer than that and they seem to actually be doing a good job this time.  They re-released it because they're pretty confident they won't have a repeat of last time.  Otherwise they would just be throwing more money down the drain (which is bad for business if you didn't know).

• dontadowdontadow Member UncommonPosts: 1,005

Easy is relative. I died 3 times, I guess its a decent challenge. 

I do agree with you on GW2, they need lose conditions like GW1. GW1 was one of the hardest mmos i ever played. You die in a story and you reset back o the very beginning. 

What i like about ff that i havn't gotten to is that you only have an hour to do a dungeon, a nice fail condition.  

• dontadowdontadow Member UncommonPosts: 1,005
    Originally posted by NetSage

Let me ask you this...

10 years because XI has been around longer than that and they seem to actually be doing a good job this time.  They re-released it because they're pretty confident they won't have a repeat of last time.  Otherwise they would just be throwing more money down the drain (which is bad for business if you didn't know).

More so than any other game. A number of games should dothis, which is why its good o pay attention to this game.

Square is the publisher anddesigner of thsi game, which means they are in a rare position to do something like recreate a game to the fans liking and not worry about the loss. I can't tell you how many games would be great if they did this. 

• Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Originally posted by motherofserpents

so I still play GW2 - because my wife does - and I pretty much think its the easiest and most boring MMO i've ever played, not to mention a ridiculous RNG grind for anything of value but i digress... I really REALLY want a new MMO thats challenging and intense and demands teamwork. Is FF XIV for me? I've never played a FF series game and someone in GW2 chat said FF XIV was "just as lame ass boring as GW2 is"... thoughts?

i'm just about ready to take a very long break from MMOs or just retire completely. I'm a semi-casual player but when i do get a chance to get online, I want to do something epic and challenging. I've listened to alot of commentary and videos but I never hear anyone address this aspect of the FF XIV gameplay.

thanks

Leave the themeparks and go to the sandbox.

• PulsarManPulsarMan Member Posts: 289

This may have already been said, but the early portions of the game a rather easy. Difficulty ramps up as you go, but it's not a sharp curve. 

They've stated that they wish to make the game accessible to both MMO players and non. Dirty words to some. 

• Kayo83Kayo83 Member UncommonPosts: 399

lol, someone should really try to consolidate all these "is this just another"...

a) typical MMO, that doesnt revolutionize the entire genre?

b) asian grinder.

c) game like insert other MMO here.

Bah ...

Anyway no its practically nothing like GW2 or any other MMO that I have played so far. The ONLY thing that it has thats pretty much the same as GW2 is the FATE events that happen and play out just like the random events you see in GW2. Not to be confused with the stationary, always on stuff, that makes up most of GW2's questing. Here is a recent video explaining them. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udwhDcDkrx8

Thats it. Everything else from crafting to combat and even the story line is different. Most importantly, its P2P. Meaning every piece of content developed (minus a few pre-order/CE bonuses) is in the game for you to earn by playing the game to achieve, instead of buying it off a cash shop and having it mailed to you.

• TsuruTsuru Member UncommonPosts: 297
    The problem i see with most people saying its easy is that they get to level 10 then stop playing and make a basis for the whole game based on that. The max level in beta was 35. It increases in difficulty past 20. And not to mention no one knows how hard late game will be because no one has been able to play a max level character in the current combat system. When the 2nd round of phase 3 comes out and we'll get to play our characters from 1.0, then we can see how hard it will be.
  • NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673

Just be thankful there is no xp debt. If you  had not played ffxi, you will have some difficulty, because alot of the strats needed to be carried out are based on strats developed by players in ffxi. Meaning THM playstyle requires you to carry out manaburn tactics to level well. If you don't know what manaburn is you may find some difficulty leveling your THM.

Uhm, you can figure out that mechanic by reading the tooltip. That's probably not your best choice for demonstrating difficult strategy.

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Originally posted by Vunak23
    *snip*

Sounds like you have absolutely no experience with end game mechanics/fights. 5man Dungeons =/= Raiding sorry.  

PvP is rather easy. Most of the time it is based around FoTM builds/classes and RNG. Composition in Arena's etc. The only time PvP will ever be truly about skill is when you are in a FPS. Where as PvE is about thought process and being able to figure out encounters. Most encounters now a days are easy to figure out. DONT STAND IN THE FIRE...But the encounters of old school games. Yea good luck. 

Dude, it's OK if you find PVE mechanics hard and others don't.  When you say that in PVP,  "Most of the time it is based around FoTM builds/classes and RNG", you realize you are talking about raids too, yeh?  You can probably find pretty much any boss fight for pretty much any MMO for pretty much any raid on youtube to show you exactly what to do. 

Nice try on trying to dismiss someone's experience because they don't share the same opinion as you.  Way to to stay true to the MMORPG.com forums.  And the whole thing about saying PvP is "rather easy" just because I say PVE is easy seems kind of childish, don't you think? 

I'm not trying to convince you that PVE is easy.  Obviously you find aspects of it difficult, but don't be upset when others don't is all I'm saying.  You think raids are hard, I get it.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

Originally posted by Naqaj

Uhm, you can figure out that mechanic by reading the tooltip. That's probably not your best choice for demonstrating difficult strategy.

People utilize tactics they are familiar with, SWTOR and Rift come to mind when tactics are taken right from the WoW play book. People who are familiar with ffxi tactics are more likely to pick up on strats faster than those that haven't. 

Take for instance someone like me, can walk away from each and every fight with nearly if not full HP as a THM, because I fight with manaburn tactic, as opposed to someone who isn't familiar with this tactic, still has to learn it. Anyone that's played ffxi, will find ARR fitting them like a glove, while those that haven't have to go through the learning curve process.

There is a quest you get at level 14, that you need to be prepared for, in order to succeed, not giving out spoilers, but if you don't come prepared you will get your ass handed to you repeatedly, until you are prepared.

• svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230
    Originally posted by motherofserpents

I've never played a FF series game and someone in GW2 chat said FF XIV was "just as lame ass boring as GW2 is"... thoughts?

My thought is that people "in chat" always talk like that about competing games.  As soon as you hear that kind of tone you should know its bs and he probably never even played ff14.

• ego13ego13 Member Posts: 267

I still will never understand the need for people that share the same hobby to criticize one group WITHIN the same group because they have more time to commit to THE SAME HOBBY.  We all set time aside to do this, some of us are lucky enough to have more time than others, there is NO OTHER HOBBY where this is looked at like a bad thing.  If you don't think what they're doing is worth their time then why would you do it?  You're basically discounting your own time investment by saying that they're wasting their time.

Anyway, back OT....

While I agree that you generally won't have twitch-based challenge in ANY mmo, they just aren't built that way, the challenge resides in timing of abilities, talent build, gear choices, and the strategy of how to approach each encounter with a group.  We take for granted that people actually know how things work well enough to just do their job when they go into a dungeon at this point, so little planning is generally needed.  If cc is needed it is generally done automatically and without discussion, the healer doesn't need to be assigned who to heal and the tank doesn't need to be assigned his tanking targets.  Everyone that heralds EQ just doesn't see that it was more just the newness of it all.  People needed to be told because there was no "standard".

GW2 will offer *more* of a twitch-based challenge and is definitely not at all challenging if you just grind the same things over and over, but I would really hope that ANYTHING would be easy with repetition.  You learn when to dodge, then you dodge.  If you find no challenge in it do SPVP or WvWvW.  SPVP would obviously require more team tactics where WvW is based more on large group tactics (or you can use the always cliche zerg word).

Just because every car has similar features doesn't mean that Ferraris are copies of Model Ts. Progress requires failure and refining.

• AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059
    i love how people say GW2 is beyond easy and then cry about the dungeons being too difficult because theres no mmo dumbing down trinity mechanic in place. People like different things. Every mmo doesnt have to be the exact same as every other mmo. I cant talk about FFXIV because i havent tried beta (waiting for next weekend) but im hoping it will also be a fun experience since (to my little knowledge) the trinity there is not heavy (it might be there but not as awful as a couple other games that dont let your class be flexible with more than 1 role).

Hold on Rojo back the bus up. Lol did you just say trinity dumbed down the difficulty? One word dude, Everquest.

Everquest wasn't difficult to play in dungeons.  A monkey could be successful in Everquest combat wise.