Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Okay, so let's assume EQ Next blows the gaming world away...

Zaxx99Zaxx99 Member Posts: 1,761

Let's give some credit to the staff of this great site we are all on at the moment, and let's say that they are 100% correct. In their own words, what we see in August makes us all 'poop' ourselves in awe.

EQ Next blows us all away and gets tons of pre-orders and launches in the months soon after the reveal in August.

If that is going to be the case, then I would also assume that EQ Next would certainly be that 'WoW killer' so many games have been hyped up to be, but failed miserably at to this point. I mean who would want to still pay WOW when something like this comes along and takes the gaming community by storm?!? I mean even console gamers would be buying copies of EQ Next off the store shelves and it would obviously succeed with flying colors.

So my point...my question rather is in 5 years do we see World of Warcraft 2 (Titan) launching copying the success of EQ Next changes? Blizzard just makes their own little changes and enhancements to EQ Next's brilliant systems? And will there be 400 EQ Next clones over the coming years? Will we be reading in 5 years how EQ Next just surpassed 20 million subscribers? Oh wait, sorry 30 million subscribers because of the 10 million PS4 players, lol.

Is this the next big thing? Is this really the true 'WoW killer'? I know, I know... don't yell at me too much, but I can't help but think this now, even though almost every detail about EQ Next is still a mystery.

But is this game going to be THAT revolutionary in the mmo gaming world? This should definitely be an exiting few months coming up for the mmo community.

I've seen plenty of games hyped to the max here on these forums. But not ever have I seen such hype from the staff of this website. - And THAT my friends is why I truly ask what I do here now. ...Lets give them some credit, after all they have been through all the over hyped disappoints that we have as well. They've seen it all first hand time and time again. And they say this is the game that is gonna blow our minds.

WoW, just WoW... wait a minute. Wow is sooo "2004" *grins*

- Zaxx

Comments

• oGMooGMo Member UncommonPosts: 89

Does this game really deserve discussion with like zero details? Even if the staff is 100% right, SOE gave us nothing to talk about besides some NDA hype for the press. Sure, this builds hype. No game can stand up to the hype though, and the more it's hyped the worse it will seem on release.

Prefer to wait and see. If I'm wrong, the worst I get is an absolutely spectacular game, and lose out on months of content-free speculation. If I'm right, I'll get a decent game that's fun to play and no disappointment. It's really win-win.

• WaterlilyWaterlily Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    If it's a WoW killer it means it's going to be a casual game, which means it's not EQ and I'm not interested.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    While i think there are a few Developers out there that might be able to pull that off... SOE is not one of them. Too many bad examples already, so even if its true, i would still have trouble believing it. Besides, SOE have been a constant source of let downs and disappointments, so i personally will be waiting for the proof, and even then i'll be making sure its actually gold and not pyrites. image
  • RavensworthRavensworth Member UncommonPosts: 78
    Originally posted by oGMo

Does this game really deserve discussion with like zero details? Even if the staff is 100% right, SOE gave us nothing to talk about besides some NDA hype for the press. Sure, this builds hype. No game can stand up to the hype though, and the more it's hyped the worse it will seem on release.

Prefer to wait and see. If I'm wrong, the worst I get is an absolutely spectacular game, and lose out on months of content-free speculation. If I'm right, I'll get a decent game that's fun to play and no disappointment. It's really win-win.

I agree with you. This is after all S.O.E. and they haven't got the best track record with making MMO's live up to the hype. I think no matter how good the game is it will be a letdown because everyone is looking for the game that will kill W.O.W.. I don't see it happening because the millions of people that still PAY to play WOW like the recipe WOW has used.

EQ Next is not using a recipe anywhere close to what WOW is. I think the only WOW killer will come from Blizzard itself in the form of a new game.

The sad part of this is some pretty good games end up being trashed because the hype was way too much.  Vanguard is a great example of this. It didn't come close to living up to the hype and launched with entirely too many servers. To be the game it was billed as it needed High server Pops for at least 6 months to make good on its promises. Never happened.

I think companies that have reasonable goals and try and hit them without believing the hype are the ones that last. CCP, Turbine, NCsoft, etc....

So lets give EQnext a chance. It will not be a WOW killer because it is a sandbox not a themepark. All those people that think this is supposed to be better than WOW need to know what they will be getting. If they buy the hype the game will get trashed after launch by unsatisfied players that failed to realize this is NOT the game they were looking for before they logged in.

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

It might be 'great', but it doesn't mean it will appeal to the exact same audience that is in the current WoW.  Also, WoW will not be killed, WoW had 10-20 times the people at peak that EQ had, and EQ is still around.  So a WoW in the same state as EQ now still would have 2-3 million people playing it. 

I do not play WoW or like it, so I for one am hopeful it is not something that would have mass appeal, unless it was for being different than what we have been getting, and if that was supposed to be the case, they would of launched the WoW 1.5 version of EQN they said they scrapped.

Will we see EQN clones?  If it somehow, which is a SUPER BIG assumption, takes off and is the next big thing, that everyone says, why didn't we do that....Yeah everyone will want to be the next EQN, and for the next 5-6 years or so, we will probably see EQN with a twist, and Blizzard will probably take what they like from EQN, and if EQN does have some parts that are less casual, Blizzard will look for a way to copy the formula and make it a little more appealing to the masses.  It is what they do, and they have made a lot of money doing it.  Will it work for them?  Probably, even if they do not do it well, just fact that it is a mmo from the people that brought you WoW, they will sell a boat load of copies. 

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697

This is the same site that hyped up Star Trek Online as an utterly amazing game with several articles all giving it high praise and saying nothing bad about it at all. Did you see/try/or hear how terrible that game was at launch and how uninteresting it still is?

If that is the record you want to go off of assuming that they would only hype a truly amazing game, then so be it. But that should make you think carefully about what they're saying.

• Zaxx99Zaxx99 Member Posts: 1,761

Originally posted by Waterlily
    If it's a WoW killer it means it's going to be a casual game, which means it's not EQ and I'm not interested.

Wow, great point there. And THIS is exactly the discussion I think I was looking for with my OP og this thread.

You don't think that a difficult game could take the gaming world by storm? The problem I think most gamers have with things like loot drop and exp loss on death is that the rewards of playing a game like that aren't worth the constant frustration they feel when they lose stuff over and over and over.

Don't take me wrong, I get what you are saying, and I have always been much more of a hardcore mmo fan then carnival mmo fan. But I also understand that players don't want to log in to a game and go harvest ore for hours only to have it pick pocketed by some thief in 5 seconds and then laughed at by the scum when they attack the thief and get ganked by 5 of his buddies who spawn in.

But with special attention taken by the developers of a game, why can't a game be both difficult to master and play but rewarding to all types of players. I guess what I am saying is that I think most people really don't find much fun doing a maze that is so simple they find the end in 2 seconds. But if they are given a maze to complex that it requires 5 acres just to spread it out and a magnifying glass to see the lines, then they can easily become too frustrated at the very beginning to even want to try to begin. There's gotta be a fine balance that would make both hardcore games and theme park mmo fans happy.

I know that not everyone will ever be completely happy with ANY game, ever. But I do believe that an mmo could be made that would both cater to the hardcore fans and the theme park fans as well.

Anyhow, time will tell, we should know much more in 45 days.

- Zaxx

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Threads like these, when games literally have zero information about them (other then 'this will exist at some point'), are the very reason so many of you guys 'fall victim to the hype train'. You're building up your own hype with assumptions like these, and I wouldn't be surprised if you also blame the game developer when they don't live up to them.

Stop chasing / looking for the WoW killer. Start paying attention to what are and are not good games, and support the ones you think you'll enjoy. This whole king of the hill MMO mentallity is mostly marketting bs.

• hMJemhMJem Member Posts: 465

I think Everquest still has this incredibly nerdy/hardcore stigma to it even though its safe to say it wont be as unforgiving as Everquest 1 was. I think there will be a group of gamers even though they like MMOs that will never touch Everquest. I think the game will be pretty popular especially since ESO isnt releasing this year, but I still think there are some who treat EQ in a biased way.

Also, aren't WoW and Everquest Next slated to be two very different games? WoW is very "theme park" end game group dungeon/raiding oriented, isnt Everquest Next going to be the opposite? I'm sure there will be some raids but isnt EQN using not much instancing at all?

Everquest Next being free to play/free to download if anything means people can play both games.

• ArcticnoonArcticnoon Member Posts: 141

My question is, What's the point of showing/telling a mmorpg writer how "awesome" their game is going to be at E3, but hiding it from the public?

What did they accomplish? Free advertising and hype?

Its E3! The world is watching, yet you are in a back room with a few media personel?! Why even come to E3?

Here is my other point. So far the have told these media personel what they are going to do. Bill seems to believe them. Who is to say they deliver? All I have heard is biggest sandbox ever. What does biggest mean?

Did they spend more money on it? Are thier continents 20% larger? Will we be fighting a dragon 5 foot taller than Deathwing?

Are they just using the sandbox term just because they know its hot right now?

They remind me of a buddy trying to set me up on a blind date. A buddy who isnt really my buddy. He's a friend of a friend who used to be a friend.

So what does this girl look like?

Oh man I cant really give you any details, but she his the biggest babe ever.

• RavensworthRavensworth Member UncommonPosts: 78
    Originally posted by zaxtor99

Originally posted by Waterlily

But with special attention taken by the developers of a game, why can't a game be both difficult to master and play but rewarding to all types of players. I guess what I am saying is that I think most people really don't find much fun doing a maze that is so simple they find the end in 2 seconds. But if they are given a maze to complex that it requires 5 acres just to spread it out and a magnifying glass to see the lines, then they can easily become too frustrated at the very beginning to even want to try to begin. There's gotta be a fine balance that would make both hardcore games and theme park mmo fans happy.

- Zaxx

Zaxx I think you are living in a dream world if you think one game can do all that. I would say that a great number of "Gamers" are casual players that have Jobs, Family, etc... that prevent them from being hard core. They are also the people that tend to vote with their wallets. They for the most part do not vote via Forums like this one. They simply don't have the time.

Hard Core gamers are a major part of the success of any MMO as they generate hype and publicity that can't be bought. 

The Casual gamer is one that reads the reviews and looks for what will give him the most bang for his time. Time not money is more precious to most casual gamers. 

Look at the situation in RIFT....BEGINNER raid gear can now be purchased and the hard core raiders are screaming not FAIR because I had to work for that. What they fail to realize is that I had to work for MY beginner gear to....Just not in RIFT. It is not pay to win it is pay to enjoy or pay to catch up. I was a former Hard Core raider and realized I needed a break. I never came back from the break to be a hard core raider again. I have friends who LOVE hard core raiding. I am happy for them but they are so into it they fail to realize they are not the majority of most server populations in any game.

Wishing for the Ultimate game that caters to everyone will only leave you heartbroken and searching for a new game. 

• William12William12 Member Posts: 680

It will be no where near the same as EQ1 classic.  If you have played EQ lately its as casual as any game.  You don't die naked anymore your items stay on you, no real death penalty 96% rez etc.

With that said if you watch interviews with Dave and other developers they get so excited about the game and that is not fake they truly are excited about what they're doing and what more can we ask for ?  Developers who are excited about what they're working on you cannot ask for more.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

WoW's success wasn't that the game was so great, its WHEN it came out. It came out on the perfect storm when MMos were starting to pick up even more so then they had in the past.

That WONT happen now. Today's market is over-saturated. People aren't willing to stick with a game to allow it to grow, something wow benefit heavily from (If WoW was in its early stages, it would of been quickly called a massive flop today in our high standards for having such a large amount of games to pay between. Even IF a game had a huge budget and could add in massive features at its launch, the fact there are so many choices makes it hard for us to get absorbed and dedicated into a game like we once could. 

EQ Next just won't. Sorry if it sounds negative but it stands no chance in how the market is right now. The only way to see any type of run away success would be to have the game market crash and MMos just all sudden began to drop left and right clearing it out and leaving a way for a new start. Even then with how technology is, I don't see it working anywhere near as well as it had in the past. Our mindsets (particularly loyality) has really gone down vastly.

• jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643

You're missing the whole point.  

It's not a WoW killer because it's not trying to obtain the same game/genre as WoW.

All the stuff I'm seeing is that they're not competing with anyone.  What they're doing is looking at how MMOs function and came up with a different idea.  Smedley has come out and said that repeatedly.  I like how people know nothing of this game, hear about 'Best of Show' and make uneducated assumptions without bothering to do ANY research on what we know already:)

Would anyone have thought Minecraft would of exploded like it did?  Does Minecraft go after a specific audience of another game?  It did it's own take on a genre and idea of a Multiplayer Sandbox.  

EQNext is attempting to do the same for the Massive Multiplayer Sandbox.  Will it get that way by doing what WoW did better?  Will it get that way by doing what Minecraft did better?  No.  It will get that way by offering a legitimately different take on the MMORPG genre.  

"What that is?," MMORPG.com knows, but we don't.  Not until August 2nd.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

With threads like this one, aren't we getting a bit too far ahead of ourselves right now?

Wasn't about this time last year when we were only months away from witnessing MMO history with the coming release of the MMO  that was going to shift the genre's paradigm?

How about we patiently wait for details to be released by SoE on EQN before we hail it as the next King of MMOs and WoW killer.

• oGMooGMo Member UncommonPosts: 89

Originally posted by aesperus
    Threads like these, when games literally have zero information about them (other then 'this will exist at some point'), are the very reason so many of you guys 'fall victim to the hype train'.

No no, see, EQN is going to take the best from Vanguard and SWG and EQ1 and combine them into the ultimate sandbox experience WoW-killer PvE-complete non-themepark questhub-oriented hardcore-casual open-world full-loot PvP with no safe zones (but 100% safe) with a hardcore grind and no grinding with fast-paced ARPG action battles (with slow, thoughtful tactics and optional tab targeting) where you can do absolutely anything but excludes all the things you personally don't like.

It'll be AWESOME let's all get hyped right now.

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    Why should anyone assume that anything SOE makes is going to "blow the gaming world away" when they haven't even put out a decent game in 6+ years, and have not been relevant in the industry for even longer? The last legitimate hit SOE had was EQ1 and eventually that was left to rot (aside for SWG, which they killed more directly). One should never assume SOE is going to make a good game, and even if they do, chances are they'll run it into the ground like their other games.
    Originally posted by oGMo

Originally posted by aesperus
    Threads like these, when games literally have zero information about them (other then 'this will exist at some point'), are the very reason so many of you guys 'fall victim to the hype train'.

No no, see, EQN is going to take the best from Vanguard and SWG and EQ1 and combine them into the ultimate sandbox experience WoW-killer PvE-complete non-themepark questhub-oriented hardcore-casual open-world full-loot PvP with no safe zones (but 100% safe) with a hardcore grind and no grinding with fast-paced ARPG action battles (with slow, thoughtful tactics and optional tab targeting) where you can do absolutely anything but excludes all the things you personally don't like.

It'll be AWESOME let's all get hyped right now.

What you're listing is what other developers have done to appeal to the widest audience possible.  There's a very good shot that SOE knows that not everyone will like this game and they're fine with that.  They are coming off VERY anti-themepark.  So....read into that what you will. 

Oh, and here's one more bomb to drop on this hype thread.

Brace for it.....................

John Smedley

• TelilTelil Member Posts: 282
    Originally posted by Burntvet
    Why should anyone assume that anything SOE makes is going to "blow the gaming world away" when they haven't even put out a decent game in 6+ years, and have not been relevant in the industry for even longer? The last legitimate hit SOE had was EQ1 and eventually that was left to rot (aside for SWG, which they killed more directly). One should never assume SOE is going to make a good game, and even if they do, chances are they'll run it into the ground like their other games.

im still signed up to EQ and i can assure that it has not been left to rot.

Ok it is not the EQ of old, but it still has a lot to offer. The whole reason most people come onto this site is to offer opinion on specualation. That is where thye strength of this site resides. and there are a lot of people longing for an improved EQ of old...me especially. Simple fact is that i have no reasom not to get excited by specualation about a game that does not exist yet.

If i did not trust in some of the words the editors of this site wrote....then i would not bother logging on. If they say they have saw someting special then i cannot help but get excited.

Come on EQN be everything we want you to be!

Originally posted by GeezerGamer

John Smedley

He has a better reputation than most actually.  Most of what he's said for SOE has come true.  Granted some might not of liked what he said or did.  He has apologized/acknowledged for some of their egregious errors.

Originally posted by jdnyc

John Smedley

He has a better reputation than most actually.  Most of what he's said for SOE has come true.  Granted some might not of liked what he said.

Maybe, but regardless, There is next to nothing known about this game

Yes, based on what has been said, it is on my "To-Do" list until I see a reason not to play it. But that doesn't mean I am awaiting the MMOssiah.

Originally posted by jdnyc

John Smedley

He has a better reputation than most actually.  Most of what he's said for SOE has come true.  Granted some might not of liked what he said.

Yes, based on what has been said, it is on my "To-Do" list until I see a reason not to play it. But that doesn't mean I am awaiting the MMOssiah.

The ONLY hype I have is seeing what's announced for August 2nd.  That's it.  I'll admit the hype is pretty high given today's MMORPG article.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Only Blizzard can kill WoW. That being said... there is a lot of MMOers who are looking for something fresh and new. I hope EQN is that for me as EQ1 was my first MMO back in 1999. If it has what I am guessing it has built in... many MMOers will be very happy. I think even some themepark MMOers maybe pulled in as well. But thats the thing, EQN will fit its market and still have its box of players. 1 mill? 2 mill? 5 mill? We will see!
  • DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926

please.. no WoW killers. Let everyone who plays WoW play WoW and let me play something else with a sandbox soul