Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

E3 - Best of Show

Comments

• IadienIadien Member UncommonPosts: 638
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    This speaks volumes. I dont think its right as they did not show anything. Kinda like having a race and giving gold to the fastest guy that didnt show up but it does speak volumes as to what they think of the game. Im getting really excited. 

MMORPG staff saw it, and it's their award. It doesn't really matter if we saw it or not.

• SilverbarrSilverbarr Member Posts: 306
    Originally posted by GrayGhost79

So, EQNext is better than Watch Dogs, Destiny, Titanfall, and other games that other sites have deemed best of show. 

You say "SOE gave a special secret demo of EQNext and it is definitely the best in show. We can't say why, we have no photos, we have no videos, but it is definitely best of show!" 

We hear "SOE pulled press aside and started handing out checks..."

Sorry lol, thats just how it is. You can say what you want but it will have absolutely no meaning if you have nothing to show. They definitely should have picked a game that all were actually able to see. I admit that I haven't seen EQNext myself, but I find it hard to believe it beat out all the other games I did see as best of show. Graphics wise, mechanic wise, and gameplay wise other games just surpassed what an MMO can do by to great of a margin. 

I think the fact that by the looks of the other awards they were looking for more MMO-centric awardee's, ergo Watch Dogs and the other games you stated would be less so, but Destiny did get the Best MMO-Hybrid, of course it would have been easy to know that should you have actually read the article. ;)

"Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys. Look on them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even unto death!"
    - Sun Tzu, the Art of War

Support the Indie Developers - Kickstarter

• ReznechekReznechek Member Posts: 11
    I believe. For various reasons and no definitive one. As some have mentioned, there is a giddiness in the dev's expression that would take some serious acting skills to fake, the fact that they skipped over E3 in favor for their own fan fair says that they believe their product is good enough to have it's own show, and even the little tid bits Smed and others have mentioned: Terraforming, Storybricks implementation, seamless world, biggest sandbox ever. It's not like we've already played the product and realized the hype was for not. If they want to hype it this much then it'll be an even bigger fail if it doesn't live up. That's why I have confidence in their confidence. It's no question SOE has the potential. The question is can they fulfill it. I think they will.
  • VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    At best, it should have received honorable mention for Best of Show and the real award should have gone to the game that followed procedure and was available for everyone at the show to see and experience.  Doing anything behind closed doors automatically makes people think something is shady and that overshadows any decisions that come out from behind those closed doors.

• adderVXIadderVXI Member UncommonPosts: 727
    I couldnt be more stoked about a game.  I am however a bit conserned about getting all my hopes up and having them crushed with yet another game not living up to the hype.  SOE has created my favorite games (EQ SWG) so it make sense they do it again.

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master.

George Washington

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by Silverbarr

So, EQNext is better than Watch Dogs, Destiny, Titanfall, and other games that other sites have deemed best of show. 

You say "SOE gave a special secret demo of EQNext and it is definitely the best in show. We can't say why, we have no photos, we have no videos, but it is definitely best of show!" 

Sorry lol, thats just how it is. You can say what you want but it will have absolutely no meaning if you have nothing to show. They definitely should have picked a game that all were actually able to see. I admit that I haven't seen EQNext myself, but I find it hard to believe it beat out all the other games I did see as best of show. Graphics wise, mechanic wise, and gameplay wise other games just surpassed what an MMO can do by to great of a margin. 

I think the fact that by the looks of the other awards they were looking for more MMO-centric awardee's, ergo Watch Dogs and the other games you stated would be less so, but Destiny did get the Best MMO-Hybrid, of course it would have been easy to know that should you have actually read the article. ;)

I actually did read the Article :) 

Even if they had said best MMO of show then it would be competing with games like Black Desert, ESO, AA, FFXIV (which received best MMO of show at multiple other sites, thats right I wasn't saying it was competing with just non MMO's for best in show), and etc. 

I was commenting on two facts. 

1) The fact that they chose to use best of show rather than best MMO of show. 

2) The fact that they have nothing to show for the best of show choice. 

My reply was meant to be more humorous than serious. I'm actually an EQNext fan as of the sandbox announcement awhile back. 

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

Please, not this again.

Please MMORPG forums goers, I'm begging, not this again. PLEASE!

GW2 had to have been the most hyped game I've ever experienced on this site (although the recent  CU kickstarter campaign was pretty bad too) - but seriously, can we not go overboard with this one too?

It'll have this and this and it'll be the best ever and cure cancer and will have ever feature ever dreamed of! Only for it to release and well . . . be GW2.

Astronomical hype is bad and should feel bad. Do not let yourselves get worked up.

• krulerkruler Member UncommonPosts: 589

well ive spent 6 months slowly building a new rig, last part the new vid card cost me a kidney and a few threats of divorce.

Got  64 gig of ram, and 6 gig on vid card, im ready for anything Sony throws at me, seeing as previous EQ,s at launch made many a person weep because and system requirements, not this time ya bastards.

• SilverbarrSilverbarr Member Posts: 306

I actually did read the Article :) 

Even if they had said best MMO of show then it would be competing with games like Black Desert, ESO, AA, FFXIV (which received best MMO of show at multiple other sites, thats right I wasn't saying it was competing with just non MMO's for best in show), and etc. 

I was commenting on two facts. 

1) The fact that they chose to use best of show rather than best MMO of show. 

2) The fact that they have nothing to show for the best of show choice. 

My reply was meant to be more humorous than serious. I'm actually an EQNext fan as of the sandbox announcement awhile back. 

Hey I'm not saying they are correct, I was just replying to the fact that your message almost showed that you had not read the article at the point you posted it. :)

Personally, we don't know what they saw behind the curtain, so we can't compare our notes on the other MMOs at E3 against EQN, and therefore we don't know what criteria it was that they based their decision upon. I'm not sure we also know what journalists were invited to the SOE showing of EQN and it may have been specific websites, etc.

Will be interesting to see what this game will be like, I'm just hoping it lives up to the hopes of all the fans and that it has many reasons to show that MMORPG.com aren't being barmy!

"Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys. Look on them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even unto death!"
    - Sun Tzu, the Art of War

Support the Indie Developers - Kickstarter

• skamperskamper Member UncommonPosts: 252
    This is a joke right? Is there any sort of credibility left? So now our reviews and awards are based off "ideas".
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by skamper
    This is a joke right? Is there any sort of credibility left? So now our reviews and awards are based off "ideas".

the staff saw EQN at the show

http://www.mmorpg.com/showFeature.cfm/loadFeature/7501/page/1

we were treated to an early look at what SOE has planned for the game’s unveiling in August and we were quite simply blown away by every little detail we saw.

• sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    Originally posted by Rusque

Please, not this again.

Please MMORPG forums goers, I'm begging, not this again. PLEASE!

GW2 had to have been the most hyped game I've ever experienced on this site (although the recent  CU kickstarter campaign was pretty bad too) - but seriously, can we not go overboard with this one too?

It'll have this and this and it'll be the best ever and cure cancer and will have ever feature ever dreamed of! Only for it to release and well . . . be GW2.

Astronomical hype is bad and should feel bad. Do not let yourselves get worked up.

Its hard for people not to get worked up when a game sound different from WoW seems to me alot of poeple are just plan sick of WoW anything that says it going to be different or sound like it is gets huge hype so just show me the typical themepark popularity its dieing,

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

Damn! I Google "EQN leaks" and all I get is this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ecMFVu2QIE

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• BidwoodBidwood Member Posts: 554

Wow, so much cynicism. Have you guys really been burned that badly in the past? As someone with less MMO experience than most here - I avoided the theme parks and don't have a rig powerful enough for stuff like Darkfall - I am just excited. I'm willing to accept that the mmorpg.com staff saw the game and that they aren't lying about how good it is. EverQuest is a major franchise and it just makes sense to me that if all the stuff Georgeson has been saying is true, mmorpg.com was justified in naming the game best of show.

Is this really about the fact that there's no evidence or is it more about fans being upset because they didn't get to see it?

• floreairfootfloreairfoot Member Posts: 59

The term "sandbox" changes it's definition based on who you're talking to...

I wonder what EQNext will actually end up being?

I've never been able to find the perfect balance between WOW and SWG, my two favorites.

Originally posted by Bidwood

Wow, so much cynicism. Have you guys really been burned that badly in the past? As someone with less MMO experience than most here - I avoided the theme parks and don't have a rig powerful enough for stuff like Darkfall - I am just excited. I'm willing to accept that the mmorpg.com staff saw the game and that they aren't lying about how good it is. EverQuest is a major franchise and it just makes sense to me that if all the stuff Georgeson has been saying is true, mmorpg.com was justified in naming the game best of show.

Is this really about the fact that there's no evidence or is it more about fans being upset because they didn't get to see it?

For many people EQ was their first love and it was a nasty breakup. =P

• BidwoodBidwood Member Posts: 554
    Originally posted by Iadien
    Originally posted by Bidwood

For many people EQ was their first love and it was a nasty breakup. =P

Looks like it...  and it worries me that so many people are looking to EQN to be EQ1-2. At E3 the devs said this would be different and that they didn't want to just make another version of the games they did in the past. It's like watching people drive into a car accident.

• DudehogDudehog Member Posts: 112
    It must be pretty awesome if it stands head and shoulders above any game shown at E3.  This is definitely good news.
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610
    Originally posted by floreairfoot

I've never been able to find the perfect balance between WOW and SWG, my two favorites.

Players who dont know what sand box means will give you all sorts of definitions on what sand box means. But the industry has a very set idea of what it really means. 

• Shadowguy64Shadowguy64 Member Posts: 848
    And the best band at Woodstock is: The Beatles!
  • DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030

EQN may turn out to be the next great MMORPG but....

Plenty of other games have got hyped from behind closed doors,extremely controlled presentations of games only to turn out to be crap or misrepresentative of what they actually turn out to be,.

I'll wait for more actual info and to test it myself before I get all loopy about it like other folks hear who only needed the word sandbox to go nuts.

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    Originally posted by floreairfoot

Players who dont know what sand box means will give you all sorts of definitions on what sand box means. But the industry has a very set idea of what it really means. 

That's hilarious considering how many games in the past have been labelled sandbox instead of open world in the past.Industry is just as fractured over what constitutes a sandbox style game as fans.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by Drakynn

Plenty of other games have got hyped from behind closed doors,extremely controlled presentations of games only to turn out to be crap or misrepresentative of what they actually turn out to be,.

I'll wait for more actual info and to test it myself before I get all loopy about it like other folks hear who only needed the word sandbox to go nuts.

Not only that but when the details come out, some will hate it no matter what the details are...you can count on that. There will be whining...there will be fighting....

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Originally posted by Drakynn

That's what any rational person should be doing, especially those of us that enjoy MMORPGs, we have been burned a lot the past few years.

• ice-vortexice-vortex Member UncommonPosts: 960

Personally, we don't know what they saw behind the curtain, so we can't compare our notes on the other MMOs at E3 against EQN, and therefore we don't know what criteria it was that they based their decision upon. I'm not sure we also know what journalists were invited to the SOE showing of EQN and it may have been specific websites, etc.

Well, so far we know people from the Curse Network and MMORPG.com got to see it. I would imagine there are more. The most likely candidates would be Zam and Massively.