Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone else wish they had gone a little more realistic with the GFX?

Comments

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Leethe
    Chasing realism is the quickest way to date your game. What you think looks realistic now will look like shit when the next console shooter begins making the rounds and your game is compared with that. There's a reason the Borderlands chose it's style. Years later the only graphics BL2 has to compete against are it's own.

I've never thought about this, but it's true.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• HellidolHellidol Member UncommonPosts: 476
    not sure how much it would bother me because I have not got to play it yet.

• wordizwordiz Member Posts: 464
    The fact that tons of people complain about graphics and then are all over Wildstar when it looks like Spyro the Dragon just proves that mmo gamers don't know what the hell they want. They spew out critique, and they demand things that they'd never even want in the first place.
  • OrthelianOrthelian Member UncommonPosts: 1,034
    Originally posted by lizardbones

Chasing realism is the quickest way to date your game. What you think looks realistic now will look like shit when the next console shooter begins making the rounds and your game is compared with that. There's a reason the Borderlands chose it's style. Years later the only graphics BL2 has to compete against are it's own.

I see it said all the time and I don't understand how it's so. Does a game magically upgrade over time by virtue of having a certain style? Because Borderlands continues to look the same to me now as it did in 2009, just like everything else. Games with other, more detailed styles haven't somehow aged more.

Favorites: EQEVE | Playing: None. Mostly VR and strategy | Anticipating: CUPantheon
  • newbinatornewbinator Member Posts: 780
    Actually I'm a fan of cartoony art styles. I love the look of WoW, WildStar, and Battlefield Heroes is my favorite shooter.
  • ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    I wish the game actually looked like sci-fi 
  • tavoctavoc Member UncommonPosts: 257
    I cant stand the GFX either.. But the game still looks good so im going to give it a shot.

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

When I  see cartoons....my experience is that PRIMARILY....they are a design to speak to children....a simplified way of communicating graphically...and to me personally...an insult to think  a company chooses to think thats the most appealing way to communicate images.

NET if find the cartoon ...aka WOW graphic style and insult to me and one I cannot imagine having fun with.

• svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230
    this isnt even wow quality
  • BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393

No thanks on the realism graphics - look at rift its bad - that's what you would have got.

I would much rather have the update WoW style in the happy go lucky green rolling hill world that Wildstar is shaping up to be

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Don't like the art style for an mmo.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Did not play WoW because of the graphics and wont be playing this one either. When you look at games like Final Fantasy Reborn this just cant compare at all.
  • AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059
    Either more realistic or just a more unique art style (like Blade and Soul for example isn't necessarily aimed at realism but looks beautiful).  I feel like the graphics and art style are the worst aspects of Wildstar.  I realize they were going for the whole "Saturday Morning Cartoon" look, but I feel even at that they could have done better, instead it just looks more like a Sci-Fi and improved version of WoW in graphical quality.
  • rufiljrufilj Member CommonPosts: 35
    Originally posted by Battlerock

No thanks on the realism graphics - look at rift its bad - that's what you would have got.

I would much rather have the update WoW style in the happy go lucky green rolling hill world that Wildstar is shaping up to be

Exactly. Another up tight MMO, no thanks. We have tons of those, GW2, Terra, Rift, FF, Archage, ESO, you name it. 

Graphics are perfect. I'm happy they took this route, gives me hope because you can tell right away they are all in for innovation and fun. I'm sure they won't get boring so fast and it will bring a good vibe like  PS2 platform games. 

I'm all in for this game mainly for the graphics and lore. Let's pray they are doing a good job with the mechanics. 

People claiming the graphics are bad or exactly like wow's will get a surprise when the get in game. 

• BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    Originally posted by Saerain

I see it said all the time and I don't understand how it's so. Does a game magically upgrade over time by virtue of having a certain style? Because Borderlands continues to look the same to me now as it did in 2009, just like everything else. Games with other, more detailed styles haven't somehow aged more.

No it's just games that aren't chasing realistic looking graphics are focused on making the game fun instead of wasting resources on graphics that only 10% of the pc gamer population can actually enjoy.

And when the next best graphical setting becomes available your game is now dated - but if that wasn't your focus your game is just fine

• Jadedangel1Jadedangel1 Member UncommonPosts: 187
    The graphics were the main turn off for me for this game. I hate the cartoonish look. I heard they wanted to do a style similar to WoW since that game is so popular, but I think that was the wrong choice. WoW's graphics are outdated, its the game's other features that make it so popular. It seems to me that Wildstar is going backwards when most MMO players agree that its time to move beyond WoW's sphere of influence.
  • Jadedangel1Jadedangel1 Member UncommonPosts: 187
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko
    Originally posted by mmobootsy
    Originally posted by Derros
    Honestly, realistic art style would not fit the tone of the game. 

Exactly.

Absolutely !

The game has a whimsical style, full of slapstick humor and over-the-top imagery. How could they ever have pulled that off in a hyper-realistic game world ?

So far, most MMO's have gone with the serious angle. The threats are dire, the battles epic and the heroes chiselled and grim-faced. Anyone that dares to smile is promptly decapitated with a finely detailed and lethal-looking 30-foot battleaxe. The only characters that get to laugh are those dungeon bosses that get the signature maniacal "Muhahahahaha"...

Wildstar's Cartoon Capers comedy is a fresh new script.

See, I am of the opinion that you can have whimsy and slapstick without the highly cartoonized look. That's like saying all comedy movies have to be done Looney Tunes style in order to be funny.

Originally posted by Battlerock
    Originally posted by Saerain

No it's just games that aren't chasing realistic looking graphics are focused on making the game fun instead of wasting resources on graphics that only 10% of the pc gamer population can actually enjoy.

And when the next best graphical setting becomes available your game is now dated - but if that wasn't your focus your game is just fine

Also this. Look at all the current MMO games with realistic graphics, non of them are a solid choice because they get old quick you search for realism but engines aren't ready yet imo, so it gets boring because they can't meet your expectations. NPCs look like a retarded inbred. Compare a cut scene of Wildstar and one from any other game with realistic graphics and tell me which one looks less retarded. 

They obviously spend a lot of time and resources chasing realism and don't put enough fun in a game which is the most important thing. Wildstar shows every second that they are all about fun which is exactly what I look in a game. 

Usually the people so worried about graphics and chasing realism are the ones that buy the game to see if they can max it out and never play it again lol. 

Originally posted by Jadedangel1
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko
    Originally posted by mmobootsy
    Originally posted by Derros
    Honestly, realistic art style would not fit the tone of the game. 

Exactly.

Absolutely !

The game has a whimsical style, full of slapstick humor and over-the-top imagery. How could they ever have pulled that off in a hyper-realistic game world ?

So far, most MMO's have gone with the serious angle. The threats are dire, the battles epic and the heroes chiselled and grim-faced. Anyone that dares to smile is promptly decapitated with a finely detailed and lethal-looking 30-foot battleaxe. The only characters that get to laugh are those dungeon bosses that get the signature maniacal "Muhahahahaha"...

Wildstar's Cartoon Capers comedy is a fresh new script.

See, I am of the opinion that you can have whimsy and slapstick without the highly cartoonized look. That's like saying all comedy movies have to be done Looney Tunes style in order to be funny.

No.. you can't compare movies with games. Games aren't on a level where they can really pull realism without look retarded. Go watch cinematics from both wildstar and a realistic looking game and come back with your opinions. I'm talking about in game engine rendered cinematics. 

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614
    Originally posted by azzamasin
    I feel this game would of been so better off if they had gone a more realistic graphics approach.  While GFX is never a concern for me (I still play Asheron's Call from time to time), I feel a more realistic approach would of been so much more beneficial for the game In the long run.  I plan on playing WS but I will most certainly have to hold my nose at the GFX until I get accustomed to that style again.

Yep I feel the same way.   I can never feel very immersed in a world if it isn't realistic looking at least somewhat and immersion is important for me.  Still looks fun and I'll play it but I will always have preferred they didn't go with that approach.

Originally posted by Margulis
    I feel this game would of been so better off if they had gone a more realistic graphics approach.  While GFX is never a concern for me (I still play Asheron's Call from time to time), I feel a more realistic approach would of been so much more beneficial for the game In the long run.  I plan on playing WS but I will most certainly have to hold my nose at the GFX until I get accustomed to that style again.

Yep I feel the same way.   I can never feel very immersed in a world if it isn't realistic looking at least somewhat and immersion is important for me.  Still looks fun and I'll play it but I will always have preferred they didn't go with that approach.

Have you ever played platformer games like Jak and Daxter, Crash, Spyro, etc? 

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    The more realistic the character models look in an MMO, the wonkier the animation tends to be.  A big reason is the Uncanny Valley effect.  With a stylized art direction they can get away with more dramatic and exaggerated animations which usually leads to something more pleasing to the eye.  Rift is a good example of the Uncanny Valley and wonky animations.  WoW is a good example of exaggerated movements/animation.  Blizzard really has some top animators that pay attention to the 12 fundamentals of animation.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

Originally posted by jmcdermottuk

I know this is inviting a whole lot of trouble but...

It looks like WoW to me. Same cartoon style, same colour pallete. I'm just having a hard time trying to get excited about this one. Seems like WoW with housing.

I think it hasn't done itself any favours with the graphics they opted for.

Actually the devs themselves have embraced the similarity between the 2 games and are touting it more as a much improved version for the vanilla wow lovers.  They originally said we're trying to be anything but wow but more recent talk has been the opposite.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Yeah, I guess. They would have to change the theme of the game though. I more of a fan of game play anyways. There I wish their design philosophy was more "realistic."

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
    Originally posted by rufilj
    Originally posted by Margulis

Have you ever played platformer games like Jak and Daxter, Crash, Spyro, etc? 

Yes I have and they are fun, which I imagine Wildstar will be too.  But never have I felt immersed in those worlds.  Are you trying to find a way to tell me my own opinion is wrong?