Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Just 10 silly questions

Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

1.  How active is the new combat system?

2. How good are the stories?

3. Is there any kind of open world feeling?

4. Is there a lot of grinding required to level.. (yes with default quests, questing can be boring and feel like a grind to)?

5. How is PvP?

6. How lively does the world feel out of combat?

7. How good is NPC AI, will they continously surprise with their actions?

8. Are the main storie quests voice over?

9. What hardware is needed to run max settings with 30-40 fps at full HD?

10. How much team play and cooperation is needed?

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Comments

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357

From your posts it seems you hate this game so why do I even bother?

1. It's more active than XI, less active than some other MMO's (TERA, GW2).

2. How subjective can a question be? They're well written and flesh out the lore decently. I like them. You probably won't.

3.  Yeah, so much feels.

4. Nah, not much grind feels.

5. No PvP in P3.

6. Feels so lively except when it doesn't.

7. Probably won't surprise you.

8. In launch they will be.

9. Idk.

10. As much as with any other MMO.

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • Agrias34Agrias34 Member UncommonPosts: 147
    Play the beta yourself OP.  Phase 4, which comes around August will be an open beta for all to try, and the characters are saved over the launch of the game.
  • craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

4. Is there a lot of grinding required to level.. (yes with default quests, questing can be boring and feel like a grind to)?

5. How is PvP?

Yep, silly questions and yes I count ten.  Now I do not even like this game and I think you are trolling.

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

1.  How active is the new combat system?  There are reactionary abilities, like stuns and roots and such, monsters have abilities that you simply 'should' stun, and the cool down on the abilities are short enough to allow for complex game play yet not so short as to make it not a cost benefit whenever you use a stun or a sleep etc.  I find the combat to be quite fun, considering at level 15 the amount of buttons I had as a marauder I felt that it would have quite a fun pace at higher level.  There are many things to account for when thinking about the combat at low level, including the fact that you get abilities from other jobs when you are leveling other jobs / classes so you will automatically have more abilities to use.  I feel the combat is fun, and fast paced, reminds me of a classic RPG feel yet like an active timer, like... Chrono Trigger.

2. How good are the stories?  First, I wanted to say that I feel the quests aren't quests like most MMOs, they're stories.  What I mean by that is quests in most MMOs are just mindless and designed to get you to level, quests in this game are designed to tell you the story.  Sure some of the quest might be 'kill 3 lady bugs' but they do a good job of justifying it, you can't have every quest be fight some epic boss or something.  I personally really loved the story and it felt very 'final fantasy'

3. Is there any kind of open world feeling?  I feel so, though it's about as open world feeling as Final Fantasy 11 I'd say, I mean it has zones, there are zone walls, yet they feel large and you can see other zones from them, the landscapes are well laid out to give you the feeling of a large world.

4. Is there a lot of grinding required to level.. (yes with default quests, questing can be boring and feel like a grind to)? There will be a lot of 'grinding' but there will be a lot of variety to them.  Quests once completed are gone forever, so if you wanted to level up a new class, say Archer, you can't go back and do any old quests to level, you'll have to do things like the hunting logs, the FATE system quests, or Guild Leve's to level.  You can also party up and kill much  higher level monsters ala old school mmos.  There are dungeons and guildhests at higher level, and plenty more content too, for instance the hamlet battle system is defending or attacking against the sentient beastmen who are trying to kill of the friendly peoples of Ezoria.   So there is a LOT of types of content, but yes you will be doing a lot of it to level. Also, I wanted to point out every RPG has 'grinding'.

5. How is PvP?  Don't know yet.

6. How lively does the world feel out of combat?  Very, NPC's talk, walk around, fight things, guards will actually defend you from monster attacks, the music is dynamic and the weather and scenery really pop and make the world feel alive. 

7. How good is NPC AI, will they continously surprise with their actions?  Its pretty good, I mean there are a variety of things the mobs will do, some bring friends, some retreat at low life, monsters change behaviors at different levels of their life.  NPCs on your side will help fight monsters and shout things at each other, there are mobs that fight each other. 

8. Are the main storie quests voice over? They will be, and in 4 languages, and you can pick which one, and it will have subtitles too, so you can listen to Japanese and see English subs (Like I want to) :-D

9. What hardware is needed to run max settings with 30-40 fps at full HD? Not sure, its not super demanding, but boy does it look pretty.

10. How much team play and cooperation is needed?  The higher level you get the more things that require teams, at higher level even the main story arc will require groups to kill things.

If you have any other questions or want me to go into more detail please ask, I'd love to do so.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by craftseeker

5. How is PvP?

Yep, silly questions and yes I count ten.  Now I do not even like this game and I think you are trolling.

No i am not trolling... I am looking for peoples reasons and their feelings, why they love the new version of this game.  Now i can read the numbers everywhere, but not peoples opinions on the things that i deem important in an MMO.

I might even try the next open beta.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

No i am not trolling... I am looking for peoples reasons and their feelings, why they love the new version of this game.  Now i can read the numbers everywhere, but not peoples opinions on the things that i deem important in an MMO.

I don't think you're trolling :-p

If you want some people to play with lemme know.

Again, if you have further questions or want more answers I'd love to answer them.

• Snowdon_CloudripperSnowdon_Cloudripper Member CommonPosts: 584

5. How is PvP?

1. It is Tab targeting with a keyboard or D-pad targeting with a gamepad . It is a combo of auto-attack that is just a filler and abilities that you can stack or do in such a way to trigger combs . The speed is fast its not wait for auto-attack , wait for abilities . the Cool Down on Abilities is like 1 second or .5 seconds for most attacks . Low levels attacks do not drain TP higher Levels you need to watch your TP or you will run out and then wait for it to refill ( auto-attack )

2. The main story is very good. Expect a great story line SE always makes a great story. Side quests even blend in and fill in with the main story. So do some FATEs and GuildLeves

3. YES . There are Zones like in XI but its not a big deal once your in a Zone it is open . A few invisible walls like in front of lakes and deep water or some mountain tops. If you look at your screen and see a huge mountain off in the distance you can get to that mountain .

4. Level progression is like this . The core is Questing but one NPC gives ONE quest and that's it you do that quest and no more repeating . The FATEs are a great way to gain EXP. At level 10 you unlock Guildleves and Guildheists at 15 you start to raid in low level dungeons witch is the best way to get exp in a group.

5. PvP was not in this test

6. The NPCs are very active talking ( in text bubbles) walking around , dancing , fishing , crafting . RL players are everywhere. The /shout box ( global chat) is always full

7. Yes some seem to have there own personalities .

8. Yes ( but in this phase some are and some are not )

9. My System is a AMD Visera 4.3 Ghz CPU , HD7970 3Ghz GPU 16GB DDR5 RAM and I play max settings flawlessly at 60 fps 1080i

10. As I stated above you can solo or team up as often as you like . Depends on how you want to level . FATE is a group thing that you join just by being there , Guildleves are solo , Guildheist are for parties . Questing is Solo , Main story so far seems solo . Dungeon raids are full on party . The game has a great balance

http://absoluteretribution.enjin.com/ Guild Website and Recruitment link

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by Laughing-man

1.  How active is the new combat system?  There are reactionary abilities, like stuns and roots and such, monsters have abilities that you simply 'should' stun, and the cool down on the abilities are short enough to allow for complex game play yet not so short as to make it not a cost benefit whenever you use a stun or a sleep etc.  I find the combat to be quite fun, considering at level 15 the amount of buttons I had as a marauder I felt that it would have quite a fun pace at higher level.  There are many things to account for when thinking about the combat at low level, including the fact that you get abilities from other jobs when you are leveling other jobs / classes so you will automatically have more abilities to use.  I feel the combat is fun, and fast paced, reminds me of a classic RPG feel yet like an active timer, like... Chrono Trigger.

2. How good are the stories?  First, I wanted to say that I feel the quests aren't quests like most MMOs, they're stories.  What I mean by that is quests in most MMOs are just mindless and designed to get you to level, quests in this game are designed to tell you the story.  Sure some of the quest might be 'kill 3 lady bugs' but they do a good job of justifying it, you can't have every quest be fight some epic boss or something.  I personally really loved the story and it felt very 'final fantasy'

3. Is there any kind of open world feeling?  I feel so, though it's about as open world feeling as Final Fantasy 11 I'd say, I mean it has zones, there are zone walls, yet they feel large and you can see other zones from them, the landscapes are well laid out to give you the feeling of a large world.

4. Is there a lot of grinding required to level.. (yes with default quests, questing can be boring and feel like a grind to)? There will be a lot of 'grinding' but there will be a lot of variety to them.  Quests once completed are gone forever, so if you wanted to level up a new class, say Archer, you can't go back and do any old quests to level, you'll have to do things like the hunting logs, the FATE system quests, or Guild Leve's to level.  You can also party up and kill much  higher level monsters ala old school mmos.  There are dungeons and guildhests at higher level, and plenty more content too, for instance the hamlet battle system is defending or attacking against the sentient beastmen who are trying to kill of the friendly peoples of Ezoria.   So there is a LOT of types of content, but yes you will be doing a lot of it to level. Also, I wanted to point out every RPG has 'grinding'.

6. How lively does the world feel out of combat?  Very, NPC's talk, walk around, fight things, guards will actually defend you from monster attacks, the music is dynamic and the weather and scenery really pop and make the world feel alive. 

7. How good is NPC AI, will they continously surprise with their actions?  Its pretty good, I mean there are a variety of things the mobs will do, some bring friends, some retreat at low life, monsters change behaviors at different levels of their life.  NPCs on your side will help fight monsters and shout things at each other, there are mobs that fight each other. 

8. Are the main storie quests voice over? They will be, and in 4 languages, and you can pick which one, and it will have subtitles too, so you can listen to Japanese and see English subs (Like I want to) :-D

9. What hardware is needed to run max settings with 30-40 fps at full HD? Not sure, its not super demanding, but boy does it look pretty.

10. How much team play and cooperation is needed?  The higher level you get the more things that require teams, at higher level even the main story arc will require groups to kill things.

If you have any other questions or want me to go into more detail please ask, I'd love to do so.

Thank you for these wonderfull answers, this is exactly the response i have been looking for, it tells me more then just the numbers, it shows the soul of the game.  

You say that when i have done quests, they dissapear, which is actually good for immersion, but when doing a 2nd or 3rd job, are there enough different leveling areas to still give me new quests?

One more practical question, Will there be a groupfinder?

Originally posted by Laughing-man

Thank you for these wonderfull answers, this is exactly the response i have been looking for, it tells me more then just the numbers, it shows the soul of the game.  

You say that when i have done quests, they dissapear, which is actually good for immersion, but when doing a 2nd or 3rd job, are there enough different leveling areas to still give me new quests?

One more practical question, Will there be a groupfinder?

there are 3 starting cities each city has ere own quests . Each city has there own outdoor zones each zone has small city hubs with quests . Over all I think there are over 200 maybe more quests per city and city outdoor zone. Not to mention things like the hunting log for exp .

Group finder yes there is a group finder

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    1. Not too active. Compared to recent MMOs it's very inactive. With that said the animations are pretty good and the combat has a few interesting things , but its basic tab target.
    2. Typical FF fair. It's a matter of taste.
    3. For me it felt a lot more open than some other MMOs. You aren't driven by the nose so much.
    4. Yes there grinding. It felt a lot more entertaining and effortless than other MMOs though.
    5. No clue and it should probably be removed. I want them to focus on pve.
    6. Above average, but nothing special.
    7. You mean enemy AI? If so, no surprises.
    8. Not in beta.
    9. Don't know, my system won't run that high :-)
    10. First 15 levels not much teamwork needed. I expected that though. I do expect the game to be more old school and require tons of teamwork, that's why I'm onboard.

• MuruganMurugan Member Posts: 1,494

1.  How active is the new combat system? You move around and you push buttons, often.

2. How good are the stories?  Comparatively?  Better than any of your favorite games imo.  Youtube video above has latest trailer in it, judge for yourself or try open beta?

3. Is there any kind of open world feeling? What do you mean?  There is an open world, it has stuff in it (mobs, gathering points, npcs), you do various things with that stuff, you run around and there is background music, there are cool landmarks to see, beastman strongholds, garlean strongholds, and lots of different FATE encounters

4. Is there a lot of grinding required to level.. (yes with default quests, questing can be boring and feel like a grind to)?  What is a default quest?  You can level via the following methods:

Solo: Quest, hunting log, guildleves, FATE

Group: Dungeon, guildhest, hunting log (finish early for the exp chunk rewards), guildleve (linking), FATE. 

If you mix it up I don't see how it would feel like a grind (given the literal definition of grind)

5. How is PvP? Open beta

6. How lively does the world feel out of combat? Above mentioned "things" move around (except gathering points they stay put), FATES happen whether you do them or not, but the most lively thing would be the other live people playing the game all over the place.

7. How good is NPC AI, will they continously surprise with their actions?  Artifical Intelligence does not exist in video gaming, so NPC's are scripted.  They have triggers, they have some kind of randomizing feature for some abilities, they pretty much just try to kill you though if you attack them (or they "aggro" you).  NPC's in town rarely do this.

8. Are the main storie quests voice over? Yes in Japanese, English, French and German

9. What hardware is needed to run max settings with 30-40 fps at full HD? 1080p?  There is a benchmark availabe, and you can look up peoples scores to see what kind of hardware they use.  But 30-40 FPS at 1920x1080 does not require any kind of super computer.

10. How much team play and cooperation is needed? Depends on what you are doing, who you are doing it with, and how much patience they have with you.  Anywhere from "There were other people there?" to "We now have extra sensory twin-like abilities, I can sense the fullness of their bladders from thousands of miles away."

BTW so far FATEs are very bland and get boring fast. They seem like a bullet point feature that some producer wanted to list and not a well thought out feature.

Originally posted by Kuppa
    BTW so far FATEs are very bland and get boring fast. They seem like a bullet point feature that some producer wanted to list and not a well thought out feature.

The FATEs are just fine . There are different types. There is the hack and slash kill everything . There is the gather and deliver to a NPC wile avoiding being attacked . There are the Boss/NM FATEs . There is the Defend a location from being taken over . There is a Take over a location . As you can see they are diverse

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
    After playing Rift and GW2. They are extremely bland and happen way too much. By the end of beta I was trying to avoid them, they just seem out of place in the game in general. BTW I am liking the game its not a knock on the game I just don't like the FATEs.

• zaylinzaylin Member UncommonPosts: 794
    Originally posted by craftseeker

5. How is PvP?

Makes sense. I was actually thinking about starting a similar thread lol. I only played ff14 a bit, and only got re-interested in FF14:ARR, after seeing a buddy of mine (who got me hooked on FF11 too,lol)

When I saw him he asked me " Have you seen FF 14:ARR lately?..I got into the beta and OMG!, I cant wait!!...Oh and they Put Jumping in too,WAIT TIL you see a Taru Taru Jump LOL!!" . So he got me reintrested in FF 14 :)

Enywho glad you made the post . Think im gonna hit the Open Beta too. I have such fond and memorable moments of FF11.

• AutorockAutorock Member UncommonPosts: 48

The game isn't perfect by all means but i'm hooked so far.

Pretty basic tab targeting, a bit of moving required here and there (not as action oriented as GW2 or Tera for example) Personally this doesn't bother me it's engaging to a degree.

I found myself glossing over the standard fetch quest text and not paying a whole lot of attention. But as far as the story quests, they're quite engaging despite being conveyed over conventional text with no voiceovers. I've found them interesting so far.

Feels way more open than 1.0. Granted I didn't play 1.0 very long due to the horrible UI, I thought the maps were very copy paste and made me feel like I was walking through a hedge maze essentially. I don't really get that vibe here now, while they are sectioned off, they're large and interesting.

Seems grindy to a degree, but there is some diversity between dungeons, the hunting log, fates, leves and normal quests. My concern is that it will be annoying to level multiple jobs once you've done all 3 cities questlines, but I guess we'll see.

5. How is PvP?

Haven't seen any PVP. Not my thing anyways, but probably not a good mmo for a pvper.

It looks pretty, the npcs hustle and bustle a bit. It feels lived in to a degree. Which is refreshing.

Didn't pay a lot of attention but i'm sure they're fairly basically scripted.

As mentioned above, no not that i've seen so far.

All I can say is that it runs great on max settings in 1080p, above 60 fps with my rig. 670 GTX, 6GB DDR3, i7 930 running at 3.8 ghz

The lower levels i've just been soloing really. The first dungeon did require some planning, but not much. But that's to be expected of low level dungeons really, they're designed to teach you the mechanics.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043

I can't really answer your questions because I wasn't dissecting the game while I was playing it. I was just having fun.

I like Highlander females. They look cool.

I like the how when you start out they drop you in a void and then dress you up in your class end gear.

It has some things I don't care for but nothing that is game breaking.

• zevianzevian Member UncommonPosts: 403

I had the game on full blast with a radeon 7950 8 gb ram, and phenom x4 (oc).  1920x1080  i didnt notice any graphic slowdowns.  i wasnt involved in any major group play though, just random people around doing their thing.

• ariboersmaariboersma Member Posts: 1,802

eh, not so much.. its much better than previous beta but the combat is fairly average.

decent but nothing crazy unique.. the main stories by class are different enough to applaud

yes, IMO when you are in the combat zones zones you forget you went through a portal.

last beta... YES! this one not so much and with the new armor system it was much easier to level the second class without grinding

5. How is PvP?

sry no clue

NPCs dont do anything crazy like walk around but they do have cool convos and the world has a lot of attn to detail I really appreciated

no, the AI is average

not yet, im assuming they will be but last beta we didnt even have movies

couldnt tell ya, sry

not much from what I saw but I didnt get very high lvl in either beta however the tagging system is great, very close to GW2 in nature

all in all the game will be well worth the small price tag and will be fun for a bit.. I really do not see it becoming MY new MMO, my husband feels pretty much the same way.

• NetSageNetSage Member UncommonPosts: 1,059
    Originally posted by Kuppa
    After playing Rift and GW2. They are extremely bland and happen way too much. By the end of beta I was trying to avoid them, they just seem out of place in the game in general. BTW I am liking the game its not a knock on the game I just don't like the FATEs.

Then don't par-take in them...

Part of the reason they may seem to happen to often is because some are triggered by talking to NPCs so people keep talking to that NPC the FATE will keep popping up.

They are pretty diverse and aren't required at all so don't see the big deal.

• KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    I have a silly question in regards to Bards.  From what I played in 1.0 there was no instruments, nor any singing of the songs.  Just kind of a tune and then the animation.  Any idea if that will be the same?  Not a gripe, just being curious.
  • Kayo83Kayo83 Member UncommonPosts: 399
    I didnt get much of an open world feel. Its all instanced. Even the cities have instances in them. Maybe it opens up later but for now its pretty much how its done in previous FF games. Ul'dah , for example, has 3 sections to it IIRC. The sorrounding areas where mobs are, Thanalan, has at least 2 separate instances (Central and Western Thanalan). Hell even navigating through the map has you clicking on separate sections.

Mind you the zones are of decent size so Im not saying its a bad thing. Honestly, I dont get whats so good about "open worlds" anyway. There is still plenty to explore, do, find and while there are "zoning portals" at different corners of each map the instances themselves are wide open areas. Im just saying ... its not a seamless open-world trek from start to finish.
  • Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by Kayo83
    I didnt get much of an open world feel. Its all instanced. Even the cities have instances in them. Maybe it opens up later but for now its pretty much how its done in previous FF games. Ul'dah , for example, has 3 sections to it IIRC. The sorrounding areas where mobs are, Thanalan, has at least 2 separate instances (Central and Western Thanalan). Hell even navigating through the map has you clicking on separate sections.

Mind you the zones are of decent size so Im not saying its a bad thing. Honestly, I dont get whats so good about "open worlds" anyway. There is still plenty to explore, do, find and while there are "zoning portals" at different corners of each map the instances themselves are wide open areas. Im just saying ... its not a seamless open-world trek from start to finish.

Ugh, instanced to hell :(

I have a few questions too. Is it a quest and gear grind mmo?

What else is there to do besides quest and kill mobs?

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot