Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Went back to Rift and oops....

Comments

• Storman1977Storman1977 Member Posts: 207

Originally posted by TheScavenger
    The OP does have a point, the animations are rather bad in RIFT. They are worse than LOTRO which I thought was bad in itself...and there is an obvious 1 second delay for an ability to be cast. WoW the animations are very smooth, and on top of that, the game in general is very responsive.This is one reason WoW saw so much success (out of other reasons)...it was smoothest animations/responsive MMO I'd personally played (and I've played many). At least at the time it was released. Even then, games like TERA and a bunch of others...they all have that one second delay when casting an ability and it doesn't feel smooth or responsive at all. That is I think pulled many into WoW, again, at least one of the reasons. With that, I haven't touched WoW after Cataclysm and won't go back unless it goes free to play/freemium.

another thing that made WoW so successful was that it was designed with the lowest common denominator in mind. It was made to run on almost all machines available in 2004 and to have a shallow learning curve. Mass marketing and ease of access can make for a hugely popular game.

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Originally posted by Caldrin

go back to wow then...

Now i am not a fan of themepark games but Rifts is not too bad and the animations are fine lol.. plus its now freee ..

I'm sure the best part for you is your last word in post. And I'm sure you are willing to work for free for life time for unknown people around the globe. :-)

• tazarconantazarconan Member Posts: 1,013
    Originally posted by Shadowguy64
    Sorry the game wasn't up to your standards OP. Good luck with your next game. Hopefully you'll have a better outcome.

Its ok,i have to play an mmorpg over 2 years. I play last 2 years Age of wonders 2 shadow magic multiplayer with friends.But i cant deny i miss playing a good mmorpg.Sadly at least for me havent found something that good yet. Waiting Archeage that new mmorpg from Lord Brittish ,Cidatel of Sorcery with the last 2 games will try something different from what we ve seen so far in the genre.

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    Originally posted by Storman1977

You know what I'd like. Video of the two games running on the critics machines. With the same equivalent settings (if you're running WoW on ultra, then do the same with Rift/Tera/whatever) Preferably side by side. Just to see how much water their argument holds when having to back up their statements with proof of how the games run on their machines.

Now, if you just don't like the game (or don't want to like the game because of how much you have invested in another game) then just say so. It's ok to like different games. For crying out loud, my favorite MMO(DDO) is a long running joke to most on here.

You said pretty much exactly what I was thinking on this topic.  Basically put your money where your mouth is with this graphics/animations crap.  No one will of course, but it would be funny to see the honest results of this.

Good post.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    Originally posted by Cetra

go back to wow then...

Now i am not a fan of themepark games but Rifts is not too bad and the animations are fine lol.. plus its now freee ..

yes what he said. Come back to wow like me. I rather pay a sub for higher quality mmo.

Exactly

The wow hunter vs the rift ranger is an easily decipherable example of how much fluidity means to games. WoW enhances it even more with the amount of control you have over your pets and what your pets look like.

Rift is ok, but if you played WoW --- Rift feels unplayable

• SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360
    Originally posted by tazarconan

On Rift 's open beta i tried it for a week and after reading many things about the game didnt bought it on launch.

You lost all your credibility right there...

So you say you test a game and yet had to take your decision on opinions written about others?

Go back to WoW or any other hole you crawled out from. Thanks

If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
  • IssieaIssiea Member Posts: 75

To be fair Rift is somewhat clunky in game play.  It seems to be worse in PvP compared to PvE.

That pause thing annoyed me too and I think it was one of the main problems that I decided to not continue playing the game.  I don't recall most of the other games I've played that had this problem.  All of them were fairly fluid.

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147
    I am a sandbox junkie and hate most theme parks today for what mmorpg's have become. That being said, I enjoy and like Rift, im back playing and it has changed so much. Though I do hate the tutorial and wish it could be skipped, it feels so dumbed down now compared to a year ago. But I actualy had fun the last few days, something I can not say about some of the other new aged games. And as I said earlier, that's coming from a sandbox junkie ;)
  • pmilespmiles Member Posts: 383
    The only really annoying thing in Rift is that you can't keybind to your mousewheel up/down.  Prefer using the mousewheel for changing targets as opposed to tabbing.  In Rift, selecting/switching targets really fast is crucial especially when there's always a gazillion targets spawning/running around in rifts.
  • DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556

go back to wow then...

If you aren't a fan of themeparks you wouldn't like Rift. It's one of the most themeparky, as its a direct clone of the father of themeparks.

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147
    Originally posted by DavisFlight

go back to wow then...

If you aren't a fan of themeparks you wouldn't like Rift. It's one of the most themeparky, as its a direct clone of the father of themeparks.

Except for the fact that your so called father of theme parks is a clone of older mmorpg's, and copied so much from them. I still don't know why everyone keeps saying wow clone, when in fact WOW is a clone.

And I like rift, and dislike theme parks, so there might be a chance they will like it.

• AroukosAroukos Member Posts: 571
    Originally posted by DavisFlight

go back to wow then...

so if you arent a fan of themeparks, which themepark would you like?

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Gorwe
    Oi lokto!

What did I do lol? I was just stating my thoughts and that apb guy was the one that was basically saying that we were pimply geeks. Unless you were talking to him(then why quote my post lol?).

I honestly don't remember where I was going with that, so feel free to ignore that post as far from lucid ramblings on my part. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308
    I agree with the OP about the combat animations being garbage. Still, the game as a whole is alright, and it's keeping me entertained at least in the short term, so whatevs. 
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

I have to agree with some of the negative comments above. I just went back after 18 months away. In that time I played SWTOR, WOW, TSW, GW2, TERA, Neverwinter.

The animations and ability delays hit me immediately... Which is funny because I didn't have any problem with either back in 2011. I guess we get used to different things and these days it's all about much more fluidity and action in combat...having my character and a mob stare at each other doing nothing while waiting for the GCD to tick looks funny...almost like a step in-between turned based games like Baldur!s gate and a 2013 MMO. Thank god for dots ticking to fill the awkward gaps.

Having said that, I knew what I was going back for: the awesome soul system that lets me experiment to my heart's content mixing and matching souls and abilities to come-up with fun combinations that totally change the way you play.

I used to be a Chlorolock when I played so naturally I had to start with that again to check things out. And being a soul geek I of course hat to spend some money to add more credits to the 2600 I had waiting for me so I could get the Harbringer soul.

So call Rift shit if you like but I'm as happy as a pig in it. Yeah it has warts but I'm having a blast synergizing the chloro and harb staying away from forums and guides so I can invent it myself lol.

---------------

As to WOW comparisons... Give me a break. Take a game that has always had a ridiculously low polygon count, tweak it for 9 years with an unlimited budget...yeah it's more fluid than Rift. But I let my sub expire there again and am playing Rift...go figure!

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• KazuhiroKazuhiro Member UncommonPosts: 606
    So... Many... Typos... The OP is driving me mad.

To find an intelligent person in a PUG is not that rare, but to find a PUG made up of "all" intelligent people is one of the rarest phenomenons in the known universe.

• dgarbinidgarbini Member Posts: 185

I played the beta and I really disliked it.  Saw it going f2p, decided to give it another shot with the Raptr promo.  It took me 10-15 levels to get into it honestly the start areas are not really that fun.  But at this point I have been enjoying it.  Its not amazing, its just a ok game that happens to be free.  There are many things I do like about it specifically, some things I dont.  Would I pay a sub for it, probably not, can I get some hours of fun out of it this way, for sure.  That is the point isn't it, having fun?

As far as animations go, play single player games for that all MMO's are quite bad to be honest.  This is no Devil may cry or god of war stuff.  My personal favorite for combat would be Vindictus, second Tera, but WOW, that would be way way down there.  Even the canceled COH was way better then WOW.

• GiffenGiffen Member UncommonPosts: 276

I have to agree with the OP.  I just went back to Rift (dropped $100 on credits to buy the Storm Legion souls and a 30 day Patron Pass in the store and have enough for XP potions) and the animations are extremely clunky.  I played the game in beta and at launch, paid for 6 months but probably only played one to two months before getting bored.  I do like the class system.  I like a lot of other things like the macro system. 

I went back and tried the new melee Mage (Harbinger) and the animations are way off...combat really really feels clunky and non-immersive... Just not sure I will continue playing it...though it is nice to have the +80% XP potions in the store...

• senti02senti02 Member UncommonPosts: 96
    i agree about animation part but that's not gonna stop me from playing a good game specially f2p, there's lots of mmo out there that's worst than rift and i still play them, maybe because there's part on that game that i really like and love to do. I hope you find better game to enjoy.. Keep playing :D
  • atziluthatziluth Member UncommonPosts: 1,190
    Originally posted by Loktofeit
    I think a lot of you really don't enjoy MMOs at all. You seem to enjoy finding fault in them far more fun than playing the games themselves. 

This. ^

If you distilled the positive things said in these forums there would not be enough content to keep this site going. 

-Atziluth-

- Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

• AroukosAroukos Member Posts: 571
    Originally posted by senti02
    i agree about animation part but that's not gonna stop me from playing a good game specially f2p, there's lots of mmo out there that's worst than rift and i still play them, maybe because there's part on that game that i really like and love to do. I hope you find better game to enjoy.. Keep playing :D

+1

even if its animations are not top notch, the game is overal very good and one out of 3-4 best in the market imo. considering the excellent f2 model, then for sure its a top choice in my eyes. i have great time until now :)

• NasherUKNasherUK Member UncommonPosts: 480

I went back to try F2P after last playing in the beta...

But the thing is I'm done with these quest grinder MMOs, wow included. The only one that's a bit different is swtor because it has a good story with full voice acting to go with it. But underneath, it's just another linear quest grinder.

Hopefully Everquest Next will kill the WOW-clone generation of MMOs with their sandbox approach (how MMOs always used to be).

• VaultFairyVaultFairy Member UncommonPosts: 566
    Originally posted by Loktofeit
    I think a lot of you really don't enjoy MMOs at all. You seem to enjoy finding fault in them far more fun than playing the games themselves. 

^Pretty much this. image

• CalmmoCalmmo Member Posts: 52
    Originally posted by Cetra

go back to wow then...

yes what he said. Come back to wow like me. I rather pay a sub for higher quality mmo.

wow and quality in the same sentence, somethings not right..

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by tazarconan

go back to wow then...

If u think the animations are fine ,you my friend are in dire need of a pair of glasses . If thats not the case if u want to see what good animation is like go try that stupid game u mentioned in your response. As for me im done with wow over 2 years  now and iant going back there . But as i said in past threads lots of times the crap mmos we witness so far the last years that leaded to this decaying situation YOU my friend ME and lots of players bare a serious ammount of responsibility to this situation of crap products cause we are NOT DEMANDING enough from the developing teams.

They are not fine, they are okay, but nothing great, espescially the running annimation still feels very unnatural.  If you compare the annimations to more recent games like GW2, SWTOR and Tera they really fall short.  

On top of that in combat you dont really feel that punch when you hit something....

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)