Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

pure unadulterated gameplay footage from E3

Comments

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    How many times can people play the same fucking themepark? My god people wake up and want more from your game.

Joined - July 2004

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    Originally posted by Tinybina

LOL @ those of you thinking the starting zones is going to be some epic experience...

Looks pretty good as far as I'm concerned.

In GW2 the starting zones have some pretty epic experiences. Like the first time I was there for the Shadow Behemoth in Queensdale, which is the 1-15 human zone. The Maw was very epic feeling, especially if there were a number of surrounding events going as you were running towards the Maw. Hell, even the first time I saw one of the champion giant effigies in Ascalon I got that "oooh sh*t" feeling.

Starting zones should have some epic moments in them. A good writer will grab the reader within the first few chapters of a story. It's called a hook, and the fact that so few mmos actually attempt to use some type of a hook shows how little creative thought goes into many aspects of mmo experiences.

I do think that the path system and the housing systems in Wildstar are neat additions, but the gameplay I have personally seen gives me that same ol' WoW feeling. Carbine is attempting to do some interesting things here, but I feel that are trying to play it a little too safe with many of their decisions as well.

The game could turn out to be a great mmo, but the presentation so far has been fairly lacking for me, and for many others as well considering the commentary in this thread alone.

• Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959
    Originally posted by Kaneth

LOL @ those of you thinking the starting zones is going to be some epic experience...

In GW2 the starting zones have some pretty epic experiences. Like the first time I was there for the Shadow Behemoth in Queensdale, which is the 1-15 human zone. The Maw was very epic feeling, especially if there were a number of surrounding events going as you were running towards the Maw. Hell, even the first time I saw one of the champion giant effigies in Ascalon I got that "oooh sh*t" feeling.

Starting zones should have some epic moments in them. A good writer will grab the reader within the first few chapters of a story. It's called a hook, and the fact that so few mmos actually attempt to use some type of a hook shows how little creative thought goes into many aspects of mmo experiences.

I do think that the path system and the housing systems in Wildstar are neat additions, but the gameplay I have personally seen gives me that same ol' WoW feeling. Carbine is attempting to do some interesting things here, but I feel that are trying to play it a little too safe with many of their decisions as well.

The game could turn out to be a great mmo, but the presentation so far has been fairly lacking for me, and for many others as well considering the commentary in this thread alone.

I find it hard to argue with it mentally I can say it dousnt look fil or play like WoW, I can point out all kinds of things, and all kinds of pretty shiny new stuff but in the end, my gut says its WoW, and since I played tat game for a long time i think i trust my gut, not that its a bad thing but i don't know maybe its about time i found something else to do with my time besides MMOs.

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

• lasttimelasttime Member Posts: 51
    Originally posted by Squeak69

I find it hard to argue with it mentally I can say it dousnt look fil or play like WoW, I can point out all kinds of things, and all kinds of pretty shiny new stuff but in the end, my gut says its WoW, and since I played tat game for a long time i think i trust my gut, not that its a bad thing but i don't know maybe its about time i found something else to do with my time besides MMOs.

That's honestly the real issue. We need to just put off MMO's until the game right for the individual arises. I think people spend too much time looking for the one and not having the patience to wait for the game they know is for them whether it be coming next month or 2 years from now. I think these mediocre MMO's would stop being made if people didn't bounce from one to the next like an MMO addict. I am guilty of doing this myself but I realize I just need to wait till a game I really want is made.

• AadienAadien Member UncommonPosts: 220

Can i play the GW2 where that was epic? because that seemed very EH to me

• wilbergwilberg Member Posts: 182
    Originally posted by lasttime
    Wildstar just feels super generic. I got really excited for the game until I got into the beta and tried it.

Good to know they're choosing people who are trying the game for a few hours and giving up on it and not actual testers for beta testing who will give them desired input on the game. 

Originally posted by wilberg
    Wildstar just feels super generic. I got really excited for the game until I got into the beta and tried it.

Good to know they're choosing people who are trying the game for a few hours and giving up on it and not actual testers for beta testing who will give them desired input on the game. 

I would have to write a 10 page report in order to put down all the issues I see in this game.  If these were a few things that a feedback here or there on their forums then I'd gladly leave it. I have done betas for a countless number of games and make a point to leave as much feedback as possible but this game just seems pointless(for lack of a better word). Nothing seems well thought out. The story seems to be predicated more on being wacky than any real story. I guess if you love something like Ratchet and Clank then you'll love it. The combat is honestly wtf. You have these areas on the ground that are stupidly easy to dodge and as far as the ones you make on the ground, they make even less sense. Somehow playing stalker almost all my moves appeared to be aoes. It looks as if to avoid the tab targeting combat they just made everything have an area. The combat isn't even cool looking. Yea some of the ideas like spells from a gun seem cool but when your playing it it gets very stagnant and you just get bored button mashing. The path quests are also a neat idea but they sway between almost not making sense for the path to being just tedious. The game is just wow with some neat ideas executed poorly.

• ipekaipeka Member Posts: 222

I got to kill lots of candle mutant rats or whatever it's called in a abandon mine in northshire or smth in WoW . Then an hour later i  was hooked to WoW for a long while. Epic moment doesnt mean flashy giant monster that you can kill with scrappy gear and barely 2 digits level number, like you said it's the 'hook',.

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    Originally posted by ipeka

I got to kill lots of candle mutant rats or whatever it's called in a abandon mine in northshire or smth in WoW . Then an hour later i  was hooked to WoW for a long while. Epic moment doesnt mean flashy giant monster that you can kill with scrappy gear and barely 2 digits level number, like you said it's the 'hook',.

I agree completely, but we gotta remember times were much different then as well. The biggest thing that WoW had over it's competitors was polish, a very high level of polish. So many mmos before WoW, and even after, were released in highly buggy and unfinished in many regards. While WoW wasn't without it's issues, it was still more polished than most everything else out there. Additionally, WoW was a mmo that embraced the ability to solo and showed the power of a quest hub system. Sure these things existed before WoW, but not in the same magnitude. That's where I think WoW's hook came from, hell I know I played from Jan '05 until Feb '13.

However, the genre is a much different place now. Developers need to work hard to attract a population of gamers who have been burned in the past by many mmos and who are now cynical and jaded. WS could be the next big thing in the mmo space, especially if their raiding is anywhere near as good as WoW's is, because WS will probably grab many of the hardcore raiding crowd then. However, you don't attempt to attract cynical and jaded gamers with bland looking gameplay, that seems to heavily borrow from WoW and as shown many gameplay videos in a mulgore/nagrand looking environment.

Of course, this is all just me. Beauty is entirely in the eye of the beholder. While I am less excited about WS than I probably should be, a good friend of mine if going absolutely ape over it and can't wait for it to come out. I just wish we'd see some better looking videos. I suppose when they show off some higher level stuff, we'll get a better feel of where Carbine is wanting to go.

• XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180

WoW had more issues at lunch than most of new MMOs.

It was such a massive success because of many things, but non of them is WoW being a better game or more polished game than what we are getting now.

They just made the game in the best time possible, when itnternet started to be common all over the world and for most of gamers it was the first MMO they tried, thats why it was all cool, new and shiny and everyone got hooked.

Thats why none of us will ever be hooked like this again, good movies are good even 2nd or 3rd time you see them, but 1st time is always the best.

On topic tho, that footage is pretty boring indeed. They could have at least choose a different class , something more fresh than a stupid ol' warrior who is the SAME in all rpgs...

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423
    Originally posted by Xarko

It was such a massive success because of many things, but non of them is WoW being a better game or more polished game than what we are getting now.

They just made the game in the best time possible, when itnternet started to be common all over the world and for most of gamers it was the first MMO they tried, thats why it was all cool, new and shiny and everyone got hooked.

Thats why none of us will ever be hooked like this again, good movies are good even 2nd or 3rd time you see them, but 1st time is always the best.

On topic tho, that footage is pretty boring indeed. They could have at least choose a different class , something more fresh than a stupid ol' warrior who is the SAME in all rpgs...

That's actually not true. WoW launched in a very polish state. It also had one of the longest open betas I can remember. The only real issues were long queues and lag due to the servers being bombarded by players and overloaded.  It had much less bugs on launch then, say, Swtor.

• TinybinaTinybina Member Posts: 2,130
    Originally posted by TheHavok
    Originally posted by Xarko

That's actually not true. WoW launched in a very polish state. It also had one of the longest open betas I can remember. The only real issues were long queues and lag due to the servers being bombarded by players and overloaded.  It had much less bugs on launch then, say, Swtor.

Yeah I have no idea what that guy you quoted is talking about.  The only issue at launch was the loot lag bug (which was quickly fixed) and Queues (which was not WOW's fault).  

Other then that it was one of the most fluid (if not the most fluid) MMO launch in History.  Especially when you consider it had the most people in a MMO EVER.

------------------------------
    You see, every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with their surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You spread to an area, and you multiply, and you multiply, until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet.-Mr.Smith

• chaintmchaintm Member UncommonPosts: 953
    I was (was being the main word here) interested, can't say I am anymore. This is WoW all over (wasn't impressed with WoW to begin with) I was hoping for something a bit newer and different. Thou I wasn't aware till this thread that many of the original dev team is from the blizzard WoW team, that explains a whole lot. I met some of those guys during and E3 show years ago, their arrogance then and now seem to shine threw with their recent postings, it's a no for me. Meh I had hopes too. oh well, eqnext is the wait me thinks.

"The monster created isn't by the company that makes the game, it's by the fans that make it something it never was"

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614
    Those videos knocked my excitement and interest in this game down a few notches............
    Originally posted by IceAge
    Originally posted by bcbully
    Originally posted by IceAge
    Originally posted by bcbully

oh my.

Guys/gals we can do better than this. Same stuff different toilet. How many times is this game gonna be made? It seems that western marketing departments are more creative than the developers. 

Isn't Hell Razor the polearm form Hellfire Citadel? 

Talks the guy who has an avatar with a game that's ... very different and cool and....

I support original thought and game design. I'm not ashamed of that, and will not apologize. They next time an original game comes out, I'll change my avatar to that. 

Yes, Age of Wushu is.......very original! You .. go support that, while me and other support WildStar.

Man you really put that guy in his place..... first you bagged on him by making fun of his AVATAR, then laughed at him for thinking Age of Wushu is even remotely original.  HA!  ORIGINAL??? ......... Age of Wushu?!?!  Oh wait a minute..... didn't I just basically watch WOW in the video on this thread.....??

Originally posted by koboldfodder

They are a tiny company, and probably started developing this game five or more years ago.  This was during the "Hey, WOW is awesome" time period.  But now we are two years into the "Hey, WOW is garbage" time period and they could not do what EQ Next did, which was scrap the game and go in a totally different direction.  So they had to stick with their original game, just like the Elder Scrolls Online has to stick with their original game.

Wildstar graphically looks like a carbon copy of WOW.  There is very little distinction.  Some of the mobs may be bigger, but you clearly get where they got their ideas from....and now they must pay the ultimate price!

When they released early info about this game a few years ago, they made it sound like a sandbox type game, where you build things in game.  Something happened along the way, and the "build things in game" became "instanced housing" and that was the end of that.

I looked at the first 5 minutes of that game, I saw WOW graphics, NPCs with exclamation marks, the usual quests, the usual UI...the usual everything.

Why play this game.  WOW does everything better, and it is bigger.  If I am going to play a WOW Clone, I will play WOW...the original WOW Clone.

Meh, I agree with your whole comment except the last statement.  I think this game is actually shaping up to do wow better with all the additions and extra features.  I totally agree the sandbox focus of this game was a total joke and this is 100% themepark, but a lot of people still want that and enjoy it.  The more I'm seeing the less likely I feel I'll spend much time with this one, but may kill a few months until ESO and ultimately EQ Next comes out.  They will get a lot of the theme park fans and old vanilla wow fans though

The environments are so boring and drab...... :/  disappointing.  Just because it's an art style like this doesn't mean they can't do more with the world and add more stuff. 
  • rufiljrufilj Member CommonPosts: 35

lol Wildstar has to be the less generic MMO on production. Perhaps you meant something else.. because wildstar is not generic.

[quote]First, a brief message about what the word ‘generic’ actually means. It does not mean ‘boring’, ‘bland’, ‘simple’, ‘predictable’, ‘popular’ or ‘bad’ although generic games commonly are also some or all of the above. It means “relating to or descriptive of an entire group or class” or in the case of games, genre. So it means much the same as ‘conventional’ or ‘clichéd’.[/quote]

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

In general you cant get a good feeling about a game from stills or videos, but for now all i have to say,

Wow, just Wow

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Originally posted by rufilj

lol Wildstar has to be the less generic MMO on production. Perhaps you meant something else.. because wildstar is not generic.

[quote]First, a brief message about what the word ‘generic’ actually means. It does not mean ‘boring’, ‘bland’, ‘simple’, ‘predictable’, ‘popular’ or ‘bad’ although generic games commonly are also some or all of the above. It means “relating to or descriptive of an entire group or class” or in the case of games, genre. So it means much the same as ‘conventional’ or ‘clichéd’.[/quote]

Well for one I am assuming you meant least not less since words seemed to matter a lot to you and two I don't think you know what you are talking about. It has the same Exclamation over the head boring ass questing. Its combat is just terrible in its attempt to be half tab targeting half aiming.  So maybe in a way you are right, it isn't generic. It quite uniquely manages to take several ideas from several games and not do any of them well.

• rufiljrufilj Member CommonPosts: 35
    Originally posted by rufilj

Well for one I am assuming you meant least not less since words seemed to matter a lot to you and two I don't think you know what you are talking about. It has the same Exclamation over the head boring ass questing. Its combat is just terrible in its attempt to be half tab targeting half aiming.  So maybe in a way you are right, it isn't generic. It quite uniquely manages to take several ideas from several games and not do any of them well.

They aren't trying to reinvent the wheel. This is an themepark MMORPG but unlike others it has personality and a few new concepts that you haven't tried. Playing a game to level 6 with no gear against low level mobs isn't enough to bash a game. You probably played the stress test where the game isn't polished yet, they are hearing feedback and constantly tweaking, especially the combat. 

Also another thing I want to mention. I have never played WoW in my life and when I watch streams of PvP and PvE to me it looks like total shit. I can't even follow anything it's a mess. This tells me that watching a video isn't enough to judge a game. 

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308
    Looks like a pretty bland game, to be honest.
  • JoekraJoekra Member Posts: 182
    You should just try it for yourself before judging. I think it's exactly what many mmo players look for.
  • majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

Well, I'm sure a  lot of people will enjoy the game, but I won't.

• the combat system is over a decade old
    • the graphics don't appeal to me
    • the game seems to be extremely simplified. It does tell you exactly where to go for quests and where not to stand when attacked. People can completely shut down their brain while playing.

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

• tordurbartordurbar Member UncommonPosts: 421

As I see it there are three main complaints  1) Wildstar is not a complete sandbox, 2) Wildstar is too much like WOW and 3) Wildstar uses quest hubs.

Well, all those complaints are plusses to me. Actually the only thing that I was not happy with from what I saw was the GW2 like action combat. Still, I survived GW2 and, from all the other goodies that I see in Wildstart (Paths, Housing, humor and much more), I am still really looking forward to Wildstar.