Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] ArcheAge: Making the Jump from East to West

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Trion Worlds is unveiling more about ArcheAge and its transition from an Eastern game, released only in Korea at the moment, to a Western game. At this year's E3 convention, we managed to check out ArcheAge for ourselves and have a great preview to share. See what we saw and then leave your thoughts in the comments.

The demo began by showing us the player housing, how estates won’t be built overnight, and resources come from the world around you.  You’ll plant the trees you harvest, vegetables you cook, and so much more.  You have to transport the wood you use to make your ship and by transport… I mean strap it on your back and hop on your donkey.  Everything in the game world is grown, made, and shaped by the players.  You can take your ship and sail the seas as a trader or a pirate: making money or taking it from those who have it.  Side note: you can ride your cows.  There’s nothing else I need to say about that, I think. 

Read more of Bill Murphy's ArcheAge: Making the Jump from East to West.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• pmilespmiles Member Posts: 383

Novelty of that will wear thin... I mean, unless you are a heavy role player... and most gamers are not... none of that is anything more than a novelty.

Personally I wonder what they are going to do about the legal implications of some player uploading some picture to be used as a texture map that is copyrighted or prohibited material.  Blizzard has the largest GM base of any game and they can't even police their own game.  I see lawsuits coming... OR... a completely less freedom to do what you want in the western version... to quash that possibility.

• SebaliSebali Member UncommonPosts: 395
    was hoping this would actually give us some new info....guess not
  • DahkohtDahkoht Member UncommonPosts: 479

Has me looking forward to the game even more , glad to see a preview article from here , my interest in ESO has gone very much down from the E3 info but AA risen even more.

• RevofireRevofire Member UncommonPosts: 269
    Originally posted by DMKano

Fingers crossed for early beta access. I played on Korean servers but the language and cultural barrier is too isolating.

can't wait for Beta access.

What I found so impressive about ArcheAge are the little things - like you can sit on chairs , stumps, benches. I love being able to plant a trees, turn light posts on and off in the world - and none of this is instanced.

There is a sense of belonging, a sense of home in ArcheAge, the world feels real and alive.

I really hope they improve that.

Change your thoughts and you change your world. - Norman Vincent Peale

• lvluplvlup Member UncommonPosts: 33
    Full Loot PVP?
  • BearKnightBearKnight Member CommonPosts: 461

@TRION:

Don't mess this up. Sandbox games are NOT compatible with the "F2P" model. If you want to have an "infinitely free" server that has a level cap of like, the first 10hrs of gameplay with limited geography exploration (ie: only the noob center isle) then do that, and then offer free transfers to the real servers once someone decides to move off Free-To-Try, and move to Pay-To-Play.

ArcheAge will FAIL in the US & Europe if you force it F2P or B2P.

• aslan132aslan132 Member UncommonPosts: 620

Been really trying to keep one eye on this title and the other on WildStar. It all sounds great, but I have a feeling there will be major changes for the version we get. Also the one thing I really want info on was touched in the article. 

With all the building and sandbox goodness, when does it all start? I know in earlier version players were reporting you couldnt build anything until late in the game, and most of it is done on the Land of Origin, that third PVP only island/continent. If thats still true, its gonna be a huge hit against it in the NA. Players that was to build arent necessarily the same PVPers. Many will want to build and farm without any PVP at all. Hope thats been taken into account.

• Bama1267Bama1267 Member UncommonPosts: 1,822
    Originally posted by pmiles

Novelty of that will wear thin... I mean, unless you are a heavy role player... and most gamers are not... none of that is anything more than a novelty.

Personally I wonder what they are going to do about the legal implications of some player uploading some picture to be used as a texture map that is copyrighted or prohibited material.  Blizzard has the largest GM base of any game and they can't even police their own game.  I see lawsuits coming... OR... a completely less freedom to do what you want in the western version... to quash that possibility.

Having an impact on your game world is not a novelty. Things like sitting on stumps or in chairs is just attention to detail. For people that want to play in a game with no actual impact in a world in which you play there countless hundreds of those types of games already ...

• xaritscinxaritscin Member UncommonPosts: 350
    also according to MMOsite looks like XL Games has planned to convert the korean version to F2P, with packs of 30 and 90 days which include things like the hability to own a house, so it can be expected to see what's coming, this game promised but not delivered, and now is going P2W...
  • Jadedangel1Jadedangel1 Member UncommonPosts: 187

This is the main game that I have been waiting for, and I'm hoping like hell that I will not be disappointed in the end.

• odiasudaodiasuda Member UncommonPosts: 162
    Originally posted by BearKnight

@TRION:

Don't mess this up. Sandbox games are NOT compatible with the "F2P" model. If you want to have an "infinitely free" server that has a level cap of like, the first 10hrs of gameplay with limited geography exploration (ie: only the noob center isle) then do that, and then offer free transfers to the real servers once someone decides to move off Free-To-Try, and move to Pay-To-Play.

ArcheAge will FAIL in the US & Europe if you force it F2P or B2P.

Sandbox MMOs aren't compatible with making money.  These kinds of games have such a limited appeal that I think F2P might be the best route to get more people interested and playing.

• CyclopsSlayerCyclopsSlayer Member UncommonPosts: 532

@aslan132

The L30 and lower areas are PvP safe, have housing areas, and can be built in early.

The restriction is the, in Korean versions, Delphi stars for the housing blueprint. For standard personal housing you need 30-150 of the coins. The fastest way to earn them involves sea travel trade across monster infested, PvP enabled waters. But they can also be earned by shorter and safer trade routes, just at a slower rate.

So the earliest you can build a house or ship is as soon as you have the resources to buy the blueprint, and assemble the structure. So if you and 7 friends form a family group, you could probably easily have a house in place on day 1.

They DO have limited housing space on the East/West continents that is likely to have the choice and convenient  locales filling up fast. You can only build in the North on lands that someone has claimed and purified.

• IAmMMOIAmMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,462
    It  sounds all well and good, but these type of open sandbox games with huge areas of open PVP and full loot etc always play into the hands of huge guilds that exploit and cheat.  In the age of paid for catered cheats and established griefing & cheating MMO communities the new age of sandbox MMO's will be targeted by these element like never before. Those guilds who wish to play fair simply can't in the face of established cheating/griefing communities whose whole intent is to not play fair and affect the servers they're on. Darkfall online proved that.
  • Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662

You call it novelty and I agree it is innovative and unusual at this day and age to see a MMORPG take the UO-like nuances and build upon those instead of focusing on combat, combat, combat. It is a bit re-refreshing, you know what they say....the devil is in the details my friend. But if you were looking to patronize and minimize the inclusion of such features like these, I think the word you were looking for is trivial. To each his own I guess. Not every gamer fits every mmo style, nor should they expect it.

If you are personally worried about legal ramifications of players uploading copyrighted materials, then I know for sure AA is not a game for you. Too often mmo players are more concerned about outside forces like mix/maxing, endgame, One on One PvP balance, skill builds, best class for this and that and all the other trivial things associated with EQ and the themepark ilk. I just want a group of gamers that wish to refocus back to a time where self sufficiency and commerce created community, like UO. Not combat builds and loot drops, like EQ. AA should be about interdependency of the whole community, not dependency on a group of raid/loot centric fanatics.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• DenambrenDenambren Member UncommonPosts: 399

Thought this game had potential until the F2P announcement.

Ah well.

• fs23otmfs23otm Member RarePosts: 506

It will be a good game.

The only problem is the amount of games releasing soon that it has to compete with.

Sure it will attract mostly sandbox users,but has the potential to attract new people from older games. However, it has to compete with Wildstar, ESO, FFXI:ARR etc.... it will be tough to grab people who have limited sandbox experience.

• RevofireRevofire Member UncommonPosts: 269

" In fact, they’ve been so impressed by how much players have delved into the littlest of systems like tree planting, that they now hope to expand on all of the littler mechanics to make them deeper and more robust in the future.  A large part of the future updates they expect to put out for ArcheAge is expanding upon existing features to make them even more compelling.  They want to give farmers more ways to enjoy farming, pirates more ways to be dirty, and builders more things to build."

YES, YES, AND MORE YES! I want to play house then go out to fight in a war, that'll just be perfect...

Change your thoughts and you change your world. - Norman Vincent Peale

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749

That's the wonderful thing about game immersion, it adds to the experience, never detracts from it.  Add good or decent gameplay systems to good or decent immersion systems and you have a good to excellent game overall.  The immersion factor is one of those nebulous qualities that helps bring longevity to your enjoyment of a game.

Sadly, I can't get past the free for all, full loot player versus player with few if any safe areas.  I'd rather not play MMOs at all if that were the only option available.

• XioxettaXioxetta Member Posts: 1
    Originally posted by Denambren

Thought this game had potential until the F2P announcement.

Ah well.

Don't see why you think that. If you are going to belive what Kyoungtae Kim says, the game is going pretty good. And if you see the type of "cash shop" that games are offering this days you will see only appearence itens and other itens that do a small or don't do any diference at all. 

• bbbb42bbbb42 Member UncommonPosts: 297
    wow style combat eewwww

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,846

Originally posted by bbbb42
    wow style combat eewwww
    Yeah, the combat is by FAR the worst aspect of ArcheAge.

Free to play is quite disappointing. Free to play game MMOs are very "drop in, drop out" oriented, while sandbox MMOs are very "long term goals" oriented.

Kinda hard to build a community based on long term goals when people have the mind set of "I can stop for a week or so if I want, it doesnt matter, its Free to play afterall".

• KumaponKumapon Member EpicPosts: 1,563
    I just wanted to point out in the article, that the 2 continent areas that are safe from pvp are not really. There are safe zones up to lvl 30, safe zones for house building, and the harbours have safe zones, but everywhere else is FFA pvp. 
  • KumaponKumapon Member EpicPosts: 1,563

Originally posted by lvlup Full Loot PVP?  
    Archeage has partial loot pvp. Anything that is too heavy to carry needs to be put on your back and that can be looted. Anything in your back slot can be looted. 
  • blohm86blohm86 Member Posts: 43

I cant figure out why people are hyped about this game, it adds NOTHING new to the genre, its just another ripoff with horrible visuals and dated gameplay.

F2P is again a wasted concept, its just absurd. Wish em good luck becouse their gonna need it for sure! Iam staying away from this game becouse of the huge hype that will result in utter dissapointment in the West.

And mmorpg.com staff should stop hyping this game, this is just horrible.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Originally posted by Xiaoki

Originally posted by bbbb42
    wow style combat eewwww

Yeah, the combat is by FAR the worst aspect of ArcheAge.

Free to play is quite disappointing. Free to play game MMOs are very "drop in, drop out" oriented, while sandbox MMOs are very "long term goals" oriented.

Kinda hard to build a community based on long term goals when people have the mind set of "I can stop for a week or so if I want, it doesnt matter, its Free to play afterall".

The dedicated players will still be there, if they want to be. Or do you want players to feel forced to stay?