Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rift now pay to win

Comments

• eccotoneccoton Member UncommonPosts: 1,340
    Originally posted by Arakazi
    Five years ago most of you would be appalled at even the suggestion of gear being sold on a AAA game. Soon people will be able to buy a max level toon and all the best gear. You might laugh, but it will happen.

Your comment is predicated on the show off factor in mmos, which I do not understand or care about. As long as I am having fun I could give a rats ass about what the other guy is doing to get anything in the game unless they are exploiting (cheating). People love to walk around the populated areas showing off their gear or mount like a little kid. "Look at how good I am" There was a rare mount in EQ2 I have only seen it once and the guy who had it changed his toons name to "Dontyouwishyouhadthisfuckingmount" I just though, really you have got to be kidding me. As an older gamer over 50 the show off factor means nothing to me. I do not care if I am level 1 or 100 as long as I am having fun. This idea of "win" in mmos makes no sense how do you win? The idea of win comes from console players who over the years started coming to play mmos. They treat an mmo like a game not a living world to participate in. They miss the true fun of mmorpgs by trying to "win".

The cash shop in Rift is really good, you can not pay to win. Trion has done well with the transition and types of items you can buy. You still need to be the right level and have faction standings. If a level 10 could buy and wear level 60 pvp gear that would be a problem. I am ok with exp boosts since so many do not have the time to grind out levels. Some of us have busy lives but that does not mean we are less dedicated to a game  as the player who can play all day. Rift is a fantasic mmo and the change to f2p will make it better. As far as I am concerned Trion hit a home run with this transition. 

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Five years ago most of you would be appalled at even the suggestion of gear being sold on a AAA game. Soon people will be able to buy a max level toon and all the best gear. You might laugh, but it will happen.

Yeah, I'm definitely suprised that the majority of people in this thread think selling entry raid gear is ok.  The only explanation I can come up with is that they are huge Rift fans that are blinded with their loyalty to the game. 

Edit:  As this is a pretty generous FTP matrix I do kind of understand the need to dump gear into the cash shop.  They should have just BTP'd the game and skipped the gear in the cash shop.

• ButeoRegalisButeoRegalis Member UncommonPosts: 594

Pay to win? You are able to buy PvE gear. Who exactly are you winning against?

This isn't pay to win, it's pay to save some time.

Originally posted by Mardukk

Yeah, I'm definitely suprised that the majority of people in this thread think selling entry raid gear is ok.  The only explanation I can come up with is that they are huge Rift fans that are blinded with their loyalty to the game.  

I am not blinded by my loyalty. Trion simply did a good job with going f2p.  I play a lot of mmos and Rift is one of them and one of the best. I support Trion and if they did something I did not like I would simply leave. I support Trion because they give me my money worth of entertainment. They simply have made a good product worth supporting. No one is blinded we are mature. Not all supporters are fanbois.

• AroukosAroukos Member Posts: 571
    Originally posted by eccoton

Your comment is predicated on the show off factor in mmos, which I do not understand or care about. As long as I am having fun I could give a rats ass about what the other guy is doing to get anything in the game unless they are exploiting (cheating). People love to walk around the populated areas showing off their gear or mount like a little kid. "Look at how good I am" There was a rare mount in EQ2 I have only seen it once and the guy who had it changed his toons name to "Dontyouwishyouhadthisfuckingmount" I just though, really you have got to be kidding me. As an older gamer over 50 the show off factor means nothing to me. I do not care if I am level 1 or 100 as long as I am having fun. This idea of "win" in mmos makes no sense how do you win? The idea of win comes from console players who over the years started coming to play mmos. They treat an mmo like a game not a living world to participate in. They miss the true fun of mmorpgs by trying to "win".

The cash shop in Rift is really good, you can not pay to win. Trion has done well with the transition and types of items you can buy. You still need to be the right level and have faction standings. If a level 10 could buy and wear level 60 pvp gear that would be a problem. I am ok with exp boosts since so many do not have the time to grind out levels. Some of us have busy lives but that does not mean we are less dedicated to a game  as the player who can play all day. Rift is a fantasic mmo and the change to f2p will make it better. As far as I am concerned Trion hit a home run with this transition. 

very well said. one of the best posts in this forum ever

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Originally posted by Hatefull
    Originally posted by pmiles
    Pay to win... lose... draw... whatever... it's free to play.    Who gives a rats ass whether you bought your gear or not... not like you're going to PVP anyways.   The raid bosses don't care... why should you.

You can buy PvP gear as well.  

No you can't. They appear in the shop but you can only buy them with the PvP currency. You can not buy that gear with the cash shop currency.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by Mardukk

Edit:  As this is a pretty generous FTP matrix I do kind of understand the need to dump gear into the cash shop.  They should have just BTP'd the game and skipped the gear in the cash shop.

Nice assumption there. This has nothing to do with loyality but logic and reasoning. OP said game is P2W because they are selling gear in cash shop. SO others corrected him that it is 'entry level' gear which by the way you still have an option to earn by playing the game.

But for those who can not wait and want to jump into harder end game content right away can buy it from the shop.

I don't even like the PVE end game content of Rift. I am more into PVP and housing. And yet i dislike it when people deliberately try to spread mis information.

And if you really believe in what he wrote regarding buying a max level toon and all the best gear in future then sir you have been trolled by him.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• TaishiFoxTaishiFox Member RarePosts: 999

For $@%&; sakes people stop b@%^ing about F2P all the time, it should be up to the damn players whether they want to "pay to win" or not, its their damn money and companies need to make money to keep the game running for you god damn spoiled free loaders that are still no doubt living out your parents pockets!

Another way of looking at it is this: subscriber pays for 6 months, pays around $45 or whatever ($7.5 per month for 6 months discount) and player who spends in cash shop only spends $30 and has unlocked enough features and items to be happy enough to play for years to come, who's the better off in the long run?!  Either way, just shut up and let people play the way they want to!  Be grateful the game can be played without even paying!

imageimage

I think a lot of people are missing the point. The questions you should be asking is, does the cash shop make games like Rift a better game? Does it effect gameplay?

Let's go a bit more specific and say does it make Rift better and effect gameplay, instead of "games like Rift". The answer is yes and yes. The cashshop and change to f2p has and will contiune to make Rift a more enjoyable experience. If a cash shop does not effect gameplay then what is the point to having one? Gameplay in an mmo is more then "win" it is about getting more immersion and enjoyment from your time spend in the game, Rifts cash shop does this. More people miss this point when discussion mmos, they are too concerned about this silly idea of winning. They forget mmos are persistent living worlds at their best, not a starting line to finish line experience.

Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by nickster29

Just went through the cash shop myself, and I laughed at the gear offerings.  It is all normal dungeon gear, not even the Expert mode gear.

If people wanna toss their cash at gear they could easily have just spent a few hours getting, let em.  It supports Trion and keeps the game running, and the free players doing what they do best.... not spending a single cent.

Only things I saw that I want from the cash shop would be the extra bag slots and extra tradeskill slots.  I will just wait to buy them using in game currency to purchase REX from other players though, no need to spend money on stuff I can just earn in game.

Wrong.  You can buy expert dungeon gear and the stones to upgrade said gear all in the cash shop.  I know this because I actually play the game and my wife, who also plays the game, JUST did this for her alt.  She is raid ready right now, and all because she had the cash to afford it.  

We also had a guild member, who did the same thing, he had been lvl 60 for less than a day when he did.  He still has no idea how to play his toon, other than for leveling, but hey he is off to raiding.   Not with our guild, he was removed for different reasons, but still he/she is out there, waiting to screw up your raid.   

So I guess I must say, not only is it pay2win, it's pay to wipe raids as well.  which I guess would be considered paytofail, so we come full circle paytowin.

What gear exactly did she buy with credits?  I'm curious because all I've seen so far that you can buy directly with credits is blue gear.

Your FUD scenario with the loose gun raid wiper is specious hyperbole at best.  In the last 2 years I've seen a lot of people that were T2/Expert geared that couldn't raid.  Some people are carried, others just can't make the transition.  Buying blues doesn't release a bunch of loose cannons any more than it makes people who ran dungeons ready to do the to disco raid dances.

The raid leaders I've known will have people run hard modes with them to see if they're ready.  That is up to the raid leader to vette their members.

They think the planar gear that is in the store is expert dungeon gear. Far too many people like to formulate opinions without even knowing anything about what they are talking about *sigh*.

Everyone is also thinking that if something appears in the shop window then it can be bought with cash shop credits. It can't. That store is now also used to get items with the in game currencies.

• Slappy1Slappy1 Member Posts: 458
    Originally posted by Hellidol
    Originally posted by Slappy1

Every single game that goes ftp,or is btp with a shop seem to attract people saying it's ptw.

I just don't understand the thinking they have of ptw.If you can obtain the same gear by playing the game,or obtain better gear through playing the game.How in the living h*ll is that ptw?It isn't and many seem to want to try and invent a scenario that is ptw.Sad,just sad as hell.

The game shop is what trion said it would be,it's not ptw,not even close!

Let me break it down Barney style, I can spend money to get something that other people have to spend a Lot ( say 2 weeks) of time to obtain. I can craft a item that takes IRL time ( lets say 2hours) that is (Example item) 1.0xpower item or I can Buy with real money something that is 5xpower item. I can run X instance  10x at 1hour per run and get all the items I need to enjoy end game or I can spend X money on X item and get what I need to be ready to enjoy end game.

If you cant understand that then I have no clue on earth whom can explain it better, stop associating a negative definition on P2W, it is only toxic if the company designs it so all players cant be on the same playing field regardless of cash shops. If everyone can do X at the same time and effort as it would to buy a item to do X then the cash shop is not unethical. Games like Neverwinter are %100 unethical when it comes to the pricing and the way the cash shops are designed. Games like Rift are %100 wrong and very unethical when it comes to their cash shops.

Time is a convenience,which is not a win.Pretty easy.

Oh and it is negative when people keep using ptw when it clearly isn't.Even the Trion Dev's and such have responded to a couple people in their forum's.Basically called them out and explained it isn't ptw.

You thinking it is,doesn't make it so.People really should stop with the misinformation.

Have fun Barney!

Some day I'm going to put a sword through your eye and out the back of your skull!

Arya Stark

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by ButeoRegalis

Pay to win? You are able to buy PvE gear. Who exactly are you winning against?

This isn't pay to win, it's pay to save some time.

I assume you are reffering to PVP. But to think of it this way.

If I were able to purchase gear that allows me to perform better than you can for not having bought gear, ie, anything you can do, I can do better (because of the cash shop)

Who get to be the 1st picks on progression raid teams?

So, yes, even though it might be PVE, the ability to buy better gear than what's available in the game, can count as P2W.

It's a good thing this does not describe Rift.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

First off, I'm not big on this at all. Sure its weaker gear but its gear none the less you would need to earn, even if its not the hardest thing to do.

That being said, its crazy for people claiming Pay to Win. The gear you can get I see (my computer I use to run the game is MIA till I get my thermal paste and fix up my fans) is rather low end gear, stuff that would be replaced within seconds of getting a loop drop in a Raid. While sure I'd rather it not be available at all, its a far cry from giving you absolute power in the game and is absolutely something that can easily be outdone by much better gear in game.

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279
    Yeah im totally gonna "win" with entry level raid gear.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    Originally posted by Four0Six
    Originally posted by faiyo

The term p2w really is being thrown around like nobody's business isn't it? An example of a true Pay to Win game is Allods and Perfect World, games that force you to actually pay to get anywhere past a certain point or be decent.  Pretty sure this doesn't apply to the term, it's more like pay to be lazy. It shouldn't effect anyone but that player, especially if it's entry level.

But whatever, I guess being dramatic is more fun.

I can appreciate your opinion on the matter, but my opinion of what Pay2win means is different than your own.  Not sure what you mean by drama, this is a discussion board, we are discussing it.  Any drama is on you.

Its not a point of opinion... its what it is. Pay 2 Win games means top end items are sold in the cash shop and often they are the best items in the game. It means if you pay you win. Lets break that down to Rift. I buy the best items in their cash shop and go PvP, does that mean I will win every or most fights? No... because people who have earned better gear and more likely to kick my butt. Pay 2 Win means my cash is a "I win button"

Rift is giving you convenience items and thats it. I get my char to top level and I can buy a set of gear that will get me raiding with my friends right away. I wish more MMOs would do this. I cant count how many times I have wanted to roll a new char but dont want to take the time to get geared to raid level. Working full time I dont have the time for that. See that, its just a time saving tool you can buy not a pay to win.

You can have your wish....it is called power leveling service....You pay, they level your toon right to the level you need so you can raid with your friends.....maybe you should ask your "friends" to PL you so you can raid with them...If I had friends I would do that for them.....

Your reply has nothing to do with my post. This thread has nothing to do with how long it takes to level a char. Also to the OP, many people here have told you what Pay 2 Win means. If you dont get it Im not sure this thread is worth posting in. Pay 2 Win means your cash means you win. Done. There is no, well this is how you feel and this is how I feel so thats that. The best gear in Rifts cash shop is far from the best. Its just a starting point to get you playing with your friends. Done!!!

Would a Power Leveling service be convenient? Yup, sure would, so convenient that I wouldn't have to waste any of my time leveling.

What I am doing is using your argument of "Rift selling gear is convenient so it is good", and using it on something most everybody says is bad.

You see getting to buy gear after you level as convenient, I can argue that buying a character at max level would be MORE convenient.

Any time a publisher begins to sell convenience, they start down a slippery slope. Today it is entry level raid gear so you can start to raid, when they want to bring in the next wave, then they sell the next tier of gear, and so on , and so on. That is the problem with selling convenience. What is convenient today is not tomorrow. But, since you already set the precedent you are stuck upping the ante.

As far as you defining Pay to Win, I would like to point out that this gear drops based on a roll system. Meaning to get a piece you need to WIN a roll............So yes I CAN argue, buying gear is PAYING TO WIN, the gear roll at least.

Later Later

Originally posted by faiyo

The term p2w really is being thrown around like nobody's business isn't it? An example of a true Pay to Win game is Allods and Perfect World, games that force you to actually pay to get anywhere past a certain point or be decent.  Pretty sure this doesn't apply to the term, it's more like pay to be lazy. It shouldn't effect anyone but that player, especially if it's entry level.

But whatever, I guess being dramatic is more fun.

I can appreciate your opinion on the matter, but my opinion of what Pay2win means is different than your own.  Not sure what you mean by drama, this is a discussion board, we are discussing it.  Any drama is on you.

Its not a point of opinion... its what it is. Pay 2 Win games means top end items are sold in the cash shop and often they are the best items in the game. It means if you pay you win. Lets break that down to Rift. I buy the best items in their cash shop and go PvP, does that mean I will win every or most fights? No... because people who have earned better gear and more likely to kick my butt. Pay 2 Win means my cash is a "I win button"

Rift is giving you convenience items and thats it. I get my char to top level and I can buy a set of gear that will get me raiding with my friends right away. I wish more MMOs would do this. I cant count how many times I have wanted to roll a new char but dont want to take the time to get geared to raid level. Working full time I dont have the time for that. See that, its just a time saving tool you can buy not a pay to win.

You can have your wish....it is called power leveling service....You pay, they level your toon right to the level you need so you can raid with your friends.....maybe you should ask your "friends" to PL you so you can raid with them...If I had friends I would do that for them.....

Your reply has nothing to do with my post. This thread has nothing to do with how long it takes to level a char. Also to the OP, many people here have told you what Pay 2 Win means. If you dont get it Im not sure this thread is worth posting in. Pay 2 Win means your cash means you win. Done. There is no, well this is how you feel and this is how I feel so thats that. The best gear in Rifts cash shop is far from the best. Its just a starting point to get you playing with your friends. Done!!!

Would a Power Leveling service be convenient? Yup, sure would, so convenient that I wouldn't have to waste any of my time leveling.

What I am doing is using your argument of "Rift selling gear is convenient so it is good", and using it on something most everybody says is bad.

You see getting to buy gear after you level as convenient, I can argue that buying a character at max level would be MORE convenient.

Any time a publisher begins to sell convenience, they start down a slippery slope. Today it is entry level raid gear so you can start to raid, when they want to bring in the next wave, then they sell the next tier of gear, and so on , and so on. That is the problem with selling convenience. What is convenient today is not tomorrow. But, since you already set the precedent you are stuck upping the ante.

As far as you defining Pay to Win, I would like to point out that this gear drops based on a roll system. Meaning to get a piece you need to WIN a roll............So yes I CAN argue, buying gear is PAYING TO WIN, the gear roll at least.

Later Later

Once again, I'll point out that it's already possible to translate real money in GW2 to obtain 80 levels through crafting. So, yeah, in GW2, I can buy gems to get 80 levels. (10 levels per craft, 8 crafts). Also I can get all exotic gear except the back, that would have to be rare to start with using gems trading for gold. 

Let's also not forget that the gear I can get in GW2 with real money is relatively superior than what is available in Rift. So, lets all go over to the GW2 forums and revive this long dead argument over there too. Why not? because GW2 has proven itself to NOT be P2W.

Lets give it a rest here too.

• IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,115

Literally within 5 minutes of reaching level 60 (max atm) you can buy all the gear you need to raid.  I thought we weren't going pay to win Trion?  what happened there?  I know you can buy your PvP kit as well not sure what impact that will have, but I am sure it won't be all that great.

Why sell gear at all?  It is so unnecessary, sell mounts, pets, wardrobe and dimension (think housing) items and you will make heaps.  But selling start raiding armor and weapons, to me that is exactly what paytowin is.  

Just my opinions, I am sure most will disagree, but this game, just broke for me.

Listen to me very carefully, my friend. What you see now in the cash shop it's nothing, compared with how the CS will "look-like" in the upcoming months. This is how they start. At first, they told you that selling X,Y,Z item is fine and it's not P2W and that it gives new players (noobs) a "possibility", to catch up with the elders. 

After few months , guess what? "BUY NOW - This limited item(pack) which will helps you "kill them all" ! YOU don't want to lose this. Only 99.99$. Bonus : 3 Scrolls which increase your attack by 9999 for 2 hours and a Thank you for playing Rift " .

Run! I am not joking!  Run...

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

Originally posted by IceAge

Literally within 5 minutes of reaching level 60 (max atm) you can buy all the gear you need to raid.  I thought we weren't going pay to win Trion?  what happened there?  I know you can buy your PvP kit as well not sure what impact that will have, but I am sure it won't be all that great.

Why sell gear at all?  It is so unnecessary, sell mounts, pets, wardrobe and dimension (think housing) items and you will make heaps.  But selling start raiding armor and weapons, to me that is exactly what paytowin is.  

Just my opinions, I am sure most will disagree, but this game, just broke for me.

Listen to me very carefully, my friend. What you see now in the cash shop it's nothing, compared with how the CS will "look-like" in the upcoming months. This is how they start. At first, they told you that selling X,Y,Z item is fine and it's not P2W and that it gives new players (noobs) a "possibility", to catch up with the elders. 

After few months , guess what? "BUY NOW - This limited item(pack) which will helps you "kill them all" ! YOU don't want to lose this. Only 99.99$. Bonus : 3 Scrolls which increase your attack by 9999 for 2 hours and a Thank you for playing Rift " .

You're the type of person that is probably scared of groups of teenage kids because you think they are all planning to mug you.

Note: That's an analogy.. I'm fed up of getting temp bans because the mods don't understand stuff like that. I don't really think you are scared of kids.... but obviously the idea of innocent until proven guilty is beyond you.

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130

Lol, +1 for hilarity.

PS Sorry if you're being serious, maybe my sarcasm detector is off today. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

Originally posted by CrazKanuk

Lol, +1 for hilarity.

I just got trolled nice and good if they were being sarcastic lol

This may or may not pan out to be true. But regardless, I've played and left many MMOs. But typically, while the content is good, I play and don't typically leave the game until AFTER content that I don't like is introduced.

Are you suggesting passing up several months of good free game play on the count that it MIGHT (big crystal balls here) go bad at some point? Why not play and leave then?

• IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,115
    Originally posted by CrazKanuk

Lol, +1 for hilarity.

Indeed, my post had some .. hilarity in it , special when explained about the "shop item". But on a serious note, sooner or later, we may see more powerful items in the cash shop. 

For the guy above you : Well , are you a teenager ? If yes, then make a group (party) and try ... to mug me. You will succeed in .. having a wipe.

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144
    Originally posted by Aroukos

RIFT gives you all the races. all the classes. all the UI options, bars and tools. ALL the content (dungeons/raids/warfronts, events etc), with the addition to do them as many times as it pleases you (unlike swtor e.g.) . all items/gear/weapons. full access to forums. full ingame support (yes dear swtor, RIFT let ppl make petitions and speak with a GM even as f2p) etc etc etc all of those are COMPLETELY FREE!

so, dont you think crying and whining about NORMAL dungeon gear in cash shop, is a bit TOO MUCH?

anyway as it concerns me its the best model (not only as f2p) i have ever experienced in a mmo.

thx a lot TRION and keep up the good work

The addition of normal raid gear breaks the progression for their raid game mechanic.   Do you know of any product that is better broken?  

My point is that the conversion to a cash shop model is not being implemented properly, and it would be prudent to assume that cash shop items breaking game mechanics will continuously be added to the game.   The normal gear is ok at this point, but what happens when they add the next tier, and the next tier after that?

What I find so hilarious, is that for months now, when ever someone would comment on how good a game Rift was, there would always be a sentiment that said, It would be the best game on the market if it went F2P or something along those lines.

Now that Trion listened and did it, baseless threads like this have popped out from ever nook and cranny of these boards.

What do you guys really want? A "Triple A" MMORPG that has no means of earning any money what so ever?

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

What do you guys really want? A "Triple A" MMORPG that has no means of earning any money what so ever?

Players want a cash shop built correctly, and not one that relies on supremacy goods and other game breaking item shop purchases.