Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rift now pay to win

HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502

Literally within 5 minutes of reaching level 60 (max atm) you can buy all the gear you need to raid.  I thought we weren't going pay to win Trion?  what happened there?  I know you can buy your PvP kit as well not sure what impact that will have, but I am sure it won't be all that great.

Why sell gear at all?  It is so unnecessary, sell mounts, pets, wardrobe and dimension (think housing) items and you will make heaps.  But selling start raiding armor and weapons, to me that is exactly what paytowin is.  

Just my opinions, I am sure most will disagree, but this game, just broke for me.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

Comments

• rafalex007rafalex007 Member Posts: 244
    is it neccessary that , every time there is someone excited about a game someone else write a bash thread about it ????????????????????? the game just just jsut jsut went F2P atleastt give it to tommoro
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308

They've stated before that they're only selling entry-level raiding gear on the cash shop for those who'd like to catch up to their friends, or newer content a little quicker.

You still have to work for the best gear in the game even if you buy the gear.

• PsyMike3dPsyMike3d Member UncommonPosts: 388
    Originally posted by Hatefull

Literally within 5 minutes of reaching level 60 (max atm) you can buy all the gear you need to raid.  I thought we weren't going pay to win Trion?  what happened there?  I know you can buy your PvP kit as well not sure what impact that will have, but I am sure it won't be all that great.

Why sell gear at all?  It is so unnecessary, sell mounts, pets, wardrobe and dimension (think housing) items and you will make heaps.  But selling start raiding armor and weapons, to me that is exactly what paytowin is.  

Just my opinions, I am sure most will disagree, but this game, just broke for me.

I agree the gear sale sucks even if it is not the final set....

dont wast ur breath guys one thing i learnd from this site is onec someone set his mind on something it will never change or atleast they wont sya that it changed
  • Shadowguy64Shadowguy64 Member Posts: 848

I wish there was a way to identify players who buy their gear so I can point at them and laugh at them.

"Hey Bob, I see you paid for your gear. Way to go man. You're pretty pro."

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    Originally posted by rafalex007
    is it neccessary that , every time there is someone excited about a game someone else write a bash thread about it ????????????????????? the game just just jsut jsut went F2P atleastt give it to tommoro

I am entitled to my opinion whenever I feel like expressing it.  If you disagree that is fine I welcome your point of view.  I will not however, remain silent when I have something to say, there are many tools on this forum if you do not like what I have to say, and you are free to sue them.

• KareliaKarelia Member Posts: 668

its normal dungeon gear. not even expert mode. you think you can raid in RIFT with normal dungeon gear? [mod edit]

Originally posted by Shadowguy64

I wish there was a way to identify players who buy their gear so I can point at them and laugh at them.

lol that would be funny.  Everything else about the game I like, more or less, but this was a ridiculous move imo.  Selling gear never ends well.

To the ones that say its just starter, yeah it lets you skip all the expert dungeons...do you know the other reason(s) for running experts?  To learn some boss mechanics, to learn to play your toon etc etc.  Leveling and raiding are way different specs...unless you have no clue about either.

Anyway, yeah pay2win(ish) is about as far as I will bend on this one.

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

To each their own. I hope you find a game you enjoy.  I see no problem with selling entry gear.  Not everyone has the advantage of being in a good guild, or having dealt with the wonders of the LFG system.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
    Originally posted by Shadowguy64

lol that would be funny.  Everything else about the game I like, more or less, but this was a ridiculous move imo.  Selling gear never ends well.

To the ones that say its just starter, yeah it lets you skip all the expert dungeons...do you know the other reason(s) for running experts?  To learn some boss mechanics, to learn to play your toon etc etc.  Leveling and raiding are way different specs...unless you have no clue about either.

Anyway, yeah pay2win(ish) is about as far as I will bend on this one.

so dont play it. no one forces you. its so simple.

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,202

Oh look - it's the mandatory "This game is p2w!!!!  Oh Noes!" thread.  

You don't "win" in an mmo, and you don't have to pay for anything if you don't want to.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

I am entitled to my opinion whenever I feel like expressing it.

The absolute worst argument you can ever make to support your opinion...." I am entitled to it "

I am entitled to my opinion whenever I feel like expressing it.  If you disagree that is fine I welcome your point of view.  I will not however, remain silent when I have something to say, there are many tools on this forum if you do not like what I have to say, and you are free to sue them.

and i respect that, but it jsut started give sometime, and u still dont like play another game its simple as that :)

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

He's just as entitled to his opinion as the fanboys are. Get over it.

I personally don't have a problem with entry level gear being sold. The game has been established for a while and even the f2p conversion isn't necessarily going to bring enough new blood in to make getting that entry gear easy. It would be nicer yes, to have instead created some incentive for people to run those lower level dungeons, but there really isn't enough of one even with the rewards already there. At least now, if people want, they can skip the content people aren't playing in the first place and get right to raiding with friends.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

Originally posted by Dibdabs

Oh look - it's the mandatory "This game is p2w!!!!  Oh Noes!" thread.  

You don't "win" in an mmo, and you don't have to pay for anything if you don't want to.

+1

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

I'd like to see someone rush to 60, buy all that gear and actually use it.

Because with the rep restrictions in place it's impossible to do.

Then.. I'd like to see someone buy gear from that shop that is better than elite dungeon gear, top tier Planar gear and top tier PvP gear.

That's also impossible... never mind the Raid gear.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • Shadowguy64Shadowguy64 Member Posts: 848

I'm actually looking forward to earning my gear. I'll never understand why people feel it necessary to pay to skip stuff to get to "end game". No wonder people are bored...they are skipping the game...

• kakasakikakasaki Member UncommonPosts: 1,205
    Originally posted by DamonVile

I am entitled to my opinion whenever I feel like expressing it.

The absolute worst argument you can ever make to support your opinion...." I am entitled to it "

To be fair, that is not what he is doing. He is basically saying he has a right to post a gripe. He is not using the statement to support his argument...

A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true...

• SilentstormSilentstorm Member UncommonPosts: 1,126
    Actually you can buy boxes with a (Chance) to get good relic gear. I rather not gamble like that who knows how low the chance is for that. But I do rather not like the whole chance to even get a relic in the shop it makes me a little like wtf.
  • ArakaziArakazi Member UncommonPosts: 911
    Five years ago most of you would be appalled at even the suggestion of gear being sold on a AAA game. Soon people will be able to buy a max level toon and all the best gear. You might laugh, but it will happen.
    Originally posted by Arakazi
    Five years ago most of you would be appalled at even the suggestion of gear being sold on a AAA game. Soon people will be able to buy a max level toon and all the best gear. You might laugh, but it will happen.

Good point Arakazi - gaming is getting so easy mode any more, just buy your way to win is what it seems like.  Sheesh buy gear, get a mod to tell what skill to use and where to stand in a dungeon...Anyway, yeah it sucks I was having fun, this though, half my guild is quitting it looks like.  Not that it matters, I am sure they will replace us quickly with over night 60's and easy to get kit, but it is still a bit of a let down.  

Oh Well, on to the next thing lol.

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

Sometimes I wonder if the people that come to this site and moan and gripe about "pay to win" and this and that are actually just upset because they didn't just buy the stuff in the first place.

The effect this has overall seems so small I don't see why we need thread after thread of such and such game being pay to win...image

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• HellidolHellidol Member UncommonPosts: 476
    I would have tried this game if it was hybrid payment model, I wont touch anything f2p because they are all p2w, anything other then cosmetic stuff when buying is all pay to win. So if I can make a potion that gives me 100 hp per use or buy one that gives me 1000 then there really isnt a choice is there. People can try to justify all they want that F2P isn't P2W but they are either fooling them self or enjoying ability to play with their wallet, which isn't a bad thing just a very corrupt and unethical way of playing most MMOs and rift fits in this category.

• faiyofaiyo Member Posts: 123

The term p2w really is being thrown around like nobody's business isn't it? An example of a true Pay to Win game is Allods and Perfect World, games that force you to actually pay to get anywhere past a certain point or be decent.  Pretty sure this doesn't apply to the term, it's more like pay to be lazy. It shouldn't effect anyone but that player, especially if it's entry level.

But whatever, I guess being dramatic is more fun.